• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I just got through watching Haven't You Heard? I'm Sakamoto. It was pretty amusing overall but I think I probably only laughed out loud maybe a couple of times through the 12 episode run. The premise of the character being a blatant Mary Sue who the cast resents for being so perfect isn't exactly new and I feel like for the jokes to land better, the show needed a stronger supporting cast than it did. Only character I actually found myself liking was the blond delinquent and that's because his second spotlight episode was surprisingly heartwarming.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
So I just got through watching Haven't You Heard? I'm Sakamoto. It was pretty amusing overall but I think I probably only laughed out loud maybe a couple of times through the 12 episode run. The premise of the character being a blatant Mary Sue who the cast resents for being so perfect isn't exactly new and I feel like for the jokes to land better, the show needed a stronger supporting cast than it did. Only character I actually found myself liking was the blond delinquent and that's because his second spotlight episode was surprisingly heartwarming.

The manga is a lot better for being tighter on the jokes.

Sakamoto adaptation should've been shorts, but alas.

John Blade

vlcsnap-2011-06-29-13h13m30s69.png

If they is a word to explain this one episode, I think, "Enticement" might be the best word for it.

What we got to see is a Mysterious Organization somehow brainwashed a girl to committed a murder suicide of someone they don't like. A detective dug a bit too much of the case even though he got warnings to stop and he eventually get brainwashed into one of the organization lackeys.

You also notice some connection between Madlax and Margaret as somehow they can sense some sort of message between them. Don't know what I can say but I start to notice this a bit and I have a feeling this will be answer a bit later on. Overall, an odd episode which I can see people get confuse quickly if they don't pay attention of the story.

I liked the manga just fine (though I kinda lost the plot once more characters got introduced and it became about inner monologues) and the premise is soul-crushingly relatable but the anime adaptation is really good. Probably my favorite show of the season along with MaiDragon and LWA

it gives me this feeling when watching it

tumblr_me8kmdwWrv1qh2d04o1_400.gif

not for everyone but its for me
Not having watched the episode for this week yet this could totally change, but it is definitely a top show for me as well. I too find the situation incredibly realistic and quite honestly pretty relatable as bad as it may sound. Looking forward to watching it tonight.

John Blade

Got to see Madlax fight against the sniper MC once more but this time with this guy who want to see her face to face (I guess he is a fan of her work). Also, you start to understand a bit more of Madlax past from flashback scene which I start to understand a bit of her.

As for the main story you suppose to follow, well.....can't say it's special to discuss. Madlax have a mission to found a guy but found a boy who you found out he sneak into the country illegally. Help the boy to found his father as his mom dying wish and she help him to get there. What we got is an ending which give me a Matrix feeling and wonder what did I watch just now.

Fbh

Not of this season but I just finished watching Ajin.

Pretty enjoyable once you get used to the ugly CG. Honestly, visually it does't even look that bad, the problem is that some scenes look like they are literally animated at 10fps.
Still pretty cool. I enjoyed the concept, it had some good actions and interesting characters. Sato in particular was great, one of the best shonen antagonists of recent times. He is menacing but fun to watch and even kinda likable. And his actions scenes are easily the best looking and animated part of the show

The only thing I didn't like was the ending of season 2.
They put a lot of focus on the whole planning aspect of things, and even went out of their way to show how Nagai's strenght lies in his planning and decision making..... and then in the end the plan is worth shit and they win with a predictable power up.
Also, I get that they (or the author of the manga, don't know if it's a direct adaptation) want to keep this going. But come on, bring some new threat or something for next season. They spent these past 2 seasons bulding this encounter with Sato and when they finally win he is defeated for a grand total of 2 minutes before escaping.

phaze

You still hadn't seen it until now? or is it a rewatch?

First time.

Pretty enjoyable once you get used to the ugly CG. Honestly, visually it does't even look that bad, the problem is that some scenes look like they are literally animated at 10fps.
Still pretty cool. I enjoyed the concept, it had some good actions and interesting characters. Sato in particular was great, one of the best shonen antagonists of recent times. He is menacing but fun to watch and even kinda likable. And his actions scenes are easily the best looking and animated part of the show

They put a lot of focus on the whole planning aspect of things, and even went out of their way to show how Nagai's strenght lies in his planning and decision making..... and then in the end the plan is worth shit and they win with a predictable power up.
Also, I get that they (or the author of the manga, don't know if it's a direct adaptation) want to keep this going. But come on, bring some new threat or something for next season. They spent these past 2 seasons bulding this encounter with Sato and when they finally win he is defeated for a grand total of 2 minutes before escaping.

Yeah, I pretty much share those ending thoughts though my issues with S2 run deeper than just that.

Cornbread78

Not having watched the episode for this week yet this could totally change, but it is definitely a top show for me as well. I too find the situation incredibly realistic and quite honestly pretty relatable as bad as it may sound. Looking forward to watching it tonight.

You need to stop whatever else your doing and watch this...... now, lol.

Szadek

Twin Star Exorcists - Ep. 21-25
This filler arc ain't too bad, even stuff like the demon chichk that sings and dance to heavy metal songs are really strange.
The mascot character is actually bearable as a Van and the young girls is pretty cute.

Cardcaptor Sakura up to Ep. 46
I got to say , I'm really not a fan of the story part of the anime.
Most of it seems to come out of nowhere and feels rather contrived.
At least it now goes back to the usual program.

Izayoi

Banned
I miss the "Previously On" post-season recommendations in the OP.

I would love to get a community curated list to check out.

Ascheroth

Twin Star Exorcists #34

That part with the 2 Heavenly Commanders felt kind of forced and too long for its own good. Action looked like crap most of the time too. The plushie-power was kind of amusing.
The end with Shimon transferring in was nice though. Good reaction face.

Twin Star Exorcists #35

Much better episode. The first part with benios cooking was hilarious and the fight against the Basara with Shimon was great. The doll scenes were unsettling.
Now I wonder if we'll see Rokuros new attack next week.

I wonder if we'll ever link up with the manga story again. I want to see the next arc animated, would be a good stopping point as well : (

The anime diverges pretty significantly from the manga by the end of Season 2. I also think from how quickly it wraps up
At least the power up was referenced much before hand in Season 1 and I think briefly again near the beginning of Season 2, it's a pity we never got the OVA as those go into that
we aren't likely to get a third season. There's a couple OVAs still to come out, but if those are backstory/sidestory type content, then I think the way Season 2 ends is pretty much it.

I'm not as sour as you are on the ending, although I do think the show stumbles to try and wrap the story up in just two seasons. It really feels like one more season might've been in the books to really do everything justice. Overall though I still think Ajin is a pretty great anime and Polygon Pictures, despite their style, seem to be doing pretty good at adaptations thus far. There's a lot I like about the series/appreciate more after having compared it to the manga. There's quite a few places where I think the anime improves upon what the manga offers.

Cornbread78

RahXephon ep.16
So Ayato and Quoun are
going back to Tokyo together with RahXephon
why? He should have figured out by nkw that his
mom is the bad guy in all of this....
Still, done heart wrenching scenes for a couple of his ladies..

Ugh, looks like Funimation b0rked again.

Getting Japanese voice tracks even with English track selected, and still no subs if I select the Japanese track.

What the hell has been going on ever since that last maintenance a few days ago?

zulux21

Ugh, looks like Funimation b0rked again.

Getting Japanese voice tracks even with English track selected, and still no subs if I select the Japanese track.

What the hell has been going on ever since that last maintenance a few days ago?

they were switching over to their completely new site.
there are bound to be bugs for a bit.

You know I went into this expecting the worst (based on a few opinions here) and actually thought it was really good. I loved the atmosphere, the reveals, the samurai action. Just makes it hurt more that it's behind Amazon's stupid Strike Channel. I refuse to pay 5 a month for such a shitty library. Might just wait till the end of the season, drop 5 for a month and then cancel again until they have no stuff for later on.

My main reason for being repelled by Onihei was that I found the photography incredibly ugly, to the point that it became a dealbreaker for me. I imagine someone not as sensitive to mediocre compositing or coloring might be able to find something of worth in the show.

He still has some unnanounced TV show right ? With the Flip Flop guy.

Yes, with Oshiyama. That'll be announced in March.

My main reason for being repelled by Onihei was that I found the photography incredibly ugly, to the point that it became a dealbreaker for me. I imagine someone not as sensitive to mediocre compositing or coloring might be able to find something of worth in the show.

By compositing do you mean the blending between CGI and 2D Animation or the effects during the sword fight? Yeah that was off, but hardly a deal breaker for me. I mean, Hand Shakers kind of puts it all in perspective. I also enjoyed the subtler use of color that I felt gave it a dreary feel.

Izayoi

Banned
When will 3D effects/models in TV anime be not shit? They've been at it for years and it still sucks, every time. Please save us.

Even in high-budget stuff like UBW...

Mailbox

Scum's Wish 2

I honestly think they might be handling this better than the manga tbh. The subtlety present with Ecchan is much better than the overt way its handled in the manga, which makes that last scene in this episode work that much better. Great episode, it looks like we can expect the same quality throughout now :3.

This episode went through up to the middle of chapter 9 in the manga (gotta love it when an episode knows exactly where to stop).

Man, I don't think I've ever watched a show I've wanted spoil more than this. I won't though don't worry. That said, I will tease that assuming the next episode gets as far as I'm expecting it to, next episode is gonna be kinda nuts.

When will 3D effects/models in TV anime be not shit? They've been at it for years and it still sucks, every time. Please save us.

I want a proper explanation. Why do they aim to go for a lower fps to emulate anime when it has NEVER looked particularly good? Who in here wouldn't be really into a smooth CG Berserk with quality CG models and animation?

Pixar's Berserk. 4 Kids.

By compositing do you mean the blending between CGI and 2D Animation or the effects during the sword fight? Yeah that was off, but hardly a deal breaker for me. I mean, Hand Shakers kind of puts it all in perspective. I also enjoyed the subtler use of color that I felt gave it a dreary feel.

By compositing I'm talking about the blending of separate elements - key animation layers, backgrounds, CG, digital effects - into a single image that is the end product. Certainly Hand Shakers is way worse, but that doesn't really excuse the shoddy work on Onihei. In any normal GoHands-less season, Onihei would be the ugliest show.

There's plenty of examples of well done CG effects and animation in anime at this point. Fafner Exodus would be one of the key examples I would point to in this regard, as would Sound Euphonium, season 2 especially.

You need to stop whatever else your doing and watch this...... now, lol.

A little late but

Scum's Wish - 02

Brb paging SDBurton

I am an awful person because I am fucking loving this show. I'm loving it! Everything so far feels so awful and real, that I just can't help but be thrilled and curious about this whole situation and where it is going to end up. Today's episode only added more heat to the pot.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker

Man, Japan has had shit CG for ages. Somehow the Sentai's have better CG now than anime.

By compositing I'm talking about the blending of separate elements - key animation layers, backgrounds, CG, digital effects - into a single image that is the end product. Certainly Hand Shakers is way worse, but that doesn't really excuse the shoddy work on Onihei. In any normal GoHands-less season, Onihei would be the ugliest show.

Oh. I actually wouldn't really agree at all. Sucks that it's so unwatchable for you. I found it quite easy to look at outside of poor cgi blending. I really liked the animation especially once we got to the action.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom