• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmm. Really liking Ajin. Still has the fps issues I dislike, but I'm entertained. Will probably go more in depth in a season 1 review post before I move on to season 2.

Cool! Glad you're enjoying it. I've become a huge fan of Polygon Pictures, not so much for their CGI
Although I do think they're one of the better CGI studios
but for how much effort they put into adapting the properties they work with. Both Ajin and Sidonia aren't typical anime adaptations, with elements expanded on, reordered, and reworked to provide better pacing and flow. They're not perfect, but I really appreciate the effort they put in.

The Great Passage 01-11

Amusingly enough the subject matter of creating a dictionary was the big hook here for me, and from a production standpoint everything is really treated with the upmost care. Body language and posture breaths a lot of life into the interactions between character interactions. While the unspoken dialogue puts strong wind in the sails of The Great Passage, words themselves seem to fail the series. Instead of delving into the minutia of dictionaries the series maintains a broader scope, letting its characters sit after a strong start to focus on time itself passing. A fine idea in itself but its themes, messages, and even visual imagery all feel overly simplistic for a show that will only ever appeal to a more mature audience. These are not poorly executed on from a production standpoint, but the imagery of crossing this vast ocean of words never left me with anything to think about. In my mind I found myself regularly thinking of Haroun and the Sea of Stories, where similar imagery is much more complex to dissect in spite of the book being written for children. There Rushdie's ocean of words blends together into a continuous important mass of intertextuality, where new stories are informed by older ones in such a manner that everything is connected. And the Sea of Stories moves well beyond that with its topics and themes. By contrast The Great Passage's imagery lacks a layered take, finding similar notes but never really cohering them into something beyond the unity that comes from information being passed down between generations. Its approach to even that topic feels remarkably limited. The ferris wheel, the expanse of a deep ocean, the ark like boat: really don't warrant more than a passing glance and never feel like they are appropriately expanded upon.

*snip*

That's a good point. I usually found myself thinking that these moments where quite lacking beyond simply looking good visually. I think it was in the penultimate episode (or maybe the last one?) where Majime was dreading this 'word vortex' sucking everything away and I was just thinking that it's such a simplistic attempt to portray his fears. I never bought into him actually seeing things this way. I mean, I liked the baseline of a 'sea of words' and such but it remained a very simple analogy.

sonicmj1

The Great Passage 01-11
A fine idea in itself but its themes, messages, and even visual imagery all feel overly simplistic for a show that will only ever appeal to a more mature audience. These are not poorly executed on from a production standpoint, but the imagery of crossing this vast ocean of words never left me with anything to think about. In my mind I found myself regularly thinking of Haroun and the Sea of Stories, where similar imagery is much more complex to dissect in spite of the book being written for children. There Rushdie's ocean of words blends together into a continuous important mass of intertextuality, where new stories are informed by older ones in such a manner that everything is connected. And the Sea of Stories moves well beyond that with its topics and themes. By contrast The Great Passage's imagery lacks a layered take, finding similar notes but never really cohering them into something beyond the unity that comes from information being passed down between generations. Its approach to even that topic feels remarkably limited. The ferris wheel, the expanse of a deep ocean, the ark like boat: really don't warrant more than a passing glance and never feel like they are appropriately expanded upon.

While apparently the "Sea of Words" metaphor has actual historical significance for Japanese dictionary-making, I always found it rather inexact for describing the roles dictionaries serve. You don't go to a dictionary to find words, you go to find meanings. A dictionary won't give you the words to express how you feel, but it can help you understand the words of others. Most of the time, I felt like they were describing it backwards.

Cornbread78

Sweet, the new girl they hired loves anine & manga.

I almost hit the floor when she said Chobits was her fav.

On a side note, she tried to get me to watch Elfen Lied. Yup, this is gonna be fun. She also tried to get me to watch sone show about a girl that turns into a cat? No idea what she was talking about..

Oh and sbe loved Full Moon wo Sagashite and Clannad..

Have you not watched RahXephon episode 19 yet?! I keep refreshing waiting to see your thoughts. Oh god, I seen ow you did on the last page! I got distracted.

RahZephon ep.19

I need a minute to ponder what just happened... That was NOT ok.. Not at all, like, never... ever.... ok..... fuck anime.
I'm glad you finally got to this episode. I haven't seen RahXephon in at least 10 years, yet this episode still haunts me just thinking about that ending. What a gut punch, and really took me from liking the show a bit to loving it.

Narag

Sweet, the new girl they hired loves anine & manga.

I almost hit the floor when she said Chobits was her fav.

On a side note, she tried to get me to watch Elfen Lied. Yup, this is gonna be fun. She also tried to get me to watch sone show about a girl that turns into a cat? No idea what she was talking about..

To Love Ru Darkness OVA episode 1.

Cornbread78

Have you not watched RahXephon episode 19 yet?! I keep refreshing waiting to see your thoughts. Oh god, I seen ow you did on the last page! I got distracted.
I'm glad you finally got to this episode. I haven't seen RahXephon in at least 10 years, yet this episode still haunts me just thinking about that ending. What a gut punch, and really took me from liking the show a bit to loving it.

Yeah, that was rough. You could tell something was up, but not THAT... now, I just want to know how everything works...

To Love Ru Darkness OVA episode 1.

She said it was a series though. I'll have to drill her for info next week to get more ingo.

What a girl.
Basically wife material.

Yeah, but she waaaaaay to young for me, lol.(not to mention I'm married, lol) It's cool to have someone else to chat with though.

Orange END

Ok this was amazingly touching and beautiful. The characters were all great. I personnaly had a soft spot for both Kakeru and Agita. While Agita was both the comedic moment guy and the smart guy, Kakeru was just...it's hard to explain, but he got me pretty hard by the emotions, episode 12 was super hard to watch. With us seeing things from his PoV. It made me feel depressed so much. 13 though, was soooooo good looking. It was so true and pure on a feeling level that it made me cry so much from both sadness and joy. Seeing Kakeru
smile at the end just made me super happy and was the biggest reward
. The only big problem the show had really, was how bad episode 9 looked. It was awful. I guess I can't really end this without saying how much of a best bro Suwa was...I mean god damn.

This is clearly a show I'm interested in seeing what the blu-ray fixed.

Mailbox

Yeah, that was rough. You could tell something was up, but not THAT... now, I just want to know how everything works...

She said it was a series though. I'll have to drill her for info next week to get more ingo.

Yeah, but she waaaaaay to young for me, lol.(not to mention I'm married, lol) It's cool to have someone else to chat with though.

Are we talking actually turning into a cat or cat-girl? Because i can't seem to find very many series where a girl just straight up turns into a cat...

Also, your life just turned into a shoujo manga, congrats

Masamune Kuns Revenge 3: First 2 minutes

FFCoPMf.png

FPI6wGx.png

Are you fucking serious? Who finds this funny? This isn't the first time they made these gay jokes about the kid either.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The same people who make KuroBasu and UtaPri profitable.

Cornbread78

Are we talking actually turning into a cat or cat-girl? Because i can't seem to find very many series where a girl just straight up turns into a cat...
Also, your life just turned into a shoujo manga, congrats

Not sure about the cat transformation. I'll get more info next week.

Lol. Yeah, she likes a lot of that "girly" stuff.
not that I'm much different, lol
She said I have to watch Nana and Ouren Host Club as well, do that says something.

She threw too many names out there I haven't heard of, lol. She be an interesting conversation with the other girl that works with us that has only really watch Adult Swim/Toonami stuff, plus a few others like Clannad,SAO, that are dubbed. She keeps trying to get me to watch Level E?

ibyea

Banned
The Great Passage: 1-2
I don't think even I can compete in terms of nerdiness with the people depicted in this show. What is Nishioka doing there anyways considering that his personality and attitude is so out of place anyways?

For me the most impressive aspect of this show is the minute details. Maybe it's just me but this show seemed to contain a lot of motion that, while often times small, makes it feel really alive.

Masamune Kuns Revenge 3: First 2 minutes

Are you fucking serious? Who finds this funny? This isn't the first time they made these gay jokes about the kid either.

It's literally Red Pill the Anime. If that pisses you off, wait until the show gets in deep with who Masamune's actual love rival is.

Syrinx

Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju 1-2

Yakumos's first ever performance was fucking brutal. How he came to fall in place with rakugo and become the master of it will be interesting to see.

Yakumos's relationship with Konatsu was exposed at a pretty bizarre pace in ep 1. The basics are clear but the actual dynamic between the two still seems foggy. It's a relationship with tension, but I really can't get a grip on their interactions beyond that.

ibyea

Banned
While apparently the "Sea of Words" metaphor has actual historical significance for Japanese dictionary-making, I always found it rather inexact for describing the roles dictionaries serve. You don't go to a dictionary to find words, you go to find meanings. A dictionary won't give you the words to express how you feel, but it can help you understand the words of others. Most of the time, I felt like they were describing it backwards.

Hah, yeah, after having watched the first two episodes, I thought that was weird. Maybe they should be making a thesaurus. XD

Narag

To Be Hero 9

I think it took me over an hour to watch this ep so think I'm about ready for this one to be over too.

Cool! Glad you're enjoying it. I've become a huge fan of Polygon Pictures, not so much for their CGI
Although I do think they're one of the better CGI studios
but for how much effort they put into adapting the properties they work with. Both Ajin and Sidonia aren't typical anime adaptations, with elements expanded on, reordered, and reworked to provide better pacing and flow. They're not perfect, but I really appreciate the effort they put in.
Close to finishing s1. I think the show's biggest weaknesses but also surprisingly its strength is in the lead character. The character is the polar opposite of who people want as the lead: a sociopath who is into self preservation. He doesn't want to save the day, he just wants to be left alone. In fact he goes to great lengths to be left alone.

The lead villain on the other hand is a psychopath terrorist who while he has a greater purpose hes just an asshole.

And of course there are the humans, particularly the government. No black or white. They're straight up grey leaning on black. They do disgusting horrible things for the sake of science and knowledge. Its fairly well done just how despicable some of these characters are where even when you learn they have a sweet side or a Noble goal, you can't help but wonder if the ends justify the means.

I'm really, really liking the show. It's hard to know who to root for among the good guys and it mirrors reality a bit too well when it comes to shady government shit.

Will write more thoughts when I review season 1. But I gotta ask now, were there no people in here who watched it? I assume it attracted a crowd that came for one reason of a superhero like supernatural battle seinen, but left due to the lead character (as I've seen in some reactions online). Or was there an underlying issue with the show I'm pushing aside that others couldn't, similar to 91 days?

I don't recall seeing many posts about the show.

I wish people wore actual anime shirts, I never know to bring up anime when they wear the obligatory howls moving castle shirts since sometimes thats litrally the only anime theyve ever seen and if I bring up haikyuu (I have haikyuu shirt on) or starmu or sao (shirts for both) they act like Im speaking a foreign language :( Was sitting at a bar at the science conference Im at and the MD had one on and we talked [pkmn].

Narag

I wish people wore actual anime shirts, I never know to bring up anime when they wear the obligatory howls moving castle shirts since sometimes thats litrally the only anime theyve ever seen and if I bring up haikyuu (I have haikyuu shirt on) or starmu or sao (shirts for both) they act like Im speaking a foreign language :(

Just ask what some of their favorites are and gauge fandom from there.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I thought figurine on your workdesk is the weeb signifier.

Izayoi

Banned
For what it's worth, I actually like stuff like Knights of Cydonia and Ajin. Not sure what it that makes me overlook it, maybe the fact that it's all CG and there's not this awful juxtaposition between 2D and 3D? I'm not certain...

There's plenty of examples of well done CG effects and animation in anime at this point. Fafner Exodus would be one of the key examples I would point to in this regard, as would Sound Euphonium, season 2 especially.
Any more good examples? I'm really interested.

So far, the best I've seen is the EoE movies. Cheating of course because they're high-budget movies, but most of it is hot garbage in my experience.

There is some decent stuff in the newer ufotable shows, but some really terrible stuff too (the pan of the storage room in UBW sticks out as a particularly egregious example).

As much as I enjoyed Drifters, I thought the CG was the low-point of the series in terms of animation. Some really great hand-animated stuff that clashes with awful pan shots of the battlefield.

Man, Japan has had shit CG for ages. Somehow the Sentai's have better CG now than anime.
It's a crime... I just don't get it.

Scum's Wish in a nut shell:
LcFqX.gif

On a level you can't even comprehend.
Pictured: my average Internet browsing session.

Apparently I need to watch this shit.

Rainy

Banned
RahXephon 15

The background info on Makoto from this episode was pretty interesting. At least made him seem somewhat human.

It's literally Red Pill the Anime. If that pisses you off, wait until the show gets in deep with who Masamune's actual love rival is.

I should have seen it coming with all the "male victims" from the first episode. I hate all the characters and I have zero motivation to even finish this episode so I'm probably dropping it. What happens later on? I dont mind spoilers.

Narag

Konosuba S2 2

dear god,
please smite the following:
  • Aqua
  • Yunyun
and bless this wonderful world with more screentime for the following replacements:
  • Chris
  • Wiz

Any more good examples? I'm really interested.

For examples of strong anime CG, I like to point to the Go Princess Precure movie. Toei's CG department has some great people working there. I'm also fond of the work Buemon did for the Kaze no Matasaburou short film from 2016 Anime Tamago, especially since it focuses on subdued character animation, which tends to be a weak point for a lot of CG animation. They hit on a really strong art style. For integration of CG with 2D animation, in addition to the work done by KyoAni generally and Xebec/Orange on Fafner Exodus, I am also rather fond of how Tatsuya Oishi at Shaft has been handling the Kizumonogatari movies.

Narag

That doesn't look great to me. Though I don't think I've liked any CG mech anime.

The lack of context really hampers the clip. Maybe it's one of the coolest bits in the series but we wouldn't know due to it being things kinda sorta fighting in blockland.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom