• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.
Twin Star Exorcists ep. 40

JuXhKvK.gif

Thud

I got two of them now, lol.

Neither of them is really "my type" but it's pretty cool to be able to talk about something at work. (although, I prefer to stock shelves and try to consume as much anime as possible between customers, lol)

What's your type?

Qurupeke

kitsu.io is downright obnoxious. Terrible UI too... And there's a feature that let's you find your waifu/husbando. What is this site.......?

kitsu.io is downright obnoxious. Terrible UI too... And there's a feature that let's you find your waifu/husbando. What is this site.......?

Yeah, that's why I liked MAL - for as low quality as its community and administration are, they at least let you have a simple, organized, functional list. Oh well.

JulianImp

Action/Horror/Mindfuck/Mystery, I can do some comedy but it has to be in the vein of OPM or MP100 - I adore mecha stuff too but I'm trying to watch "other" things.

In order, I'd recommend:
Paranoia Agent (slightly Lynch-esque psychological thriller)
Higurashi: When they Cry (looks like a generic SoL at first, but it doesn't take long before things get... interesting)
Umineko: When they Cry (it might interest you if you end up liking Higurashi, but be warned that the latter half of the source material never got adapted in the anime)
Another (starts Lynch-esque, but then turns into a hammy and really cheap version of Final
Destination)

Then there're other horror shows I've heard about but never watched, such as Yamishibai, so you might want to look into that as well.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I need to get a better poker face because I think if someone told me their favorite anime was Chobits I'd probably side eye them.

Narag

To Be Hero 10

huh the idea of it her being story with the useless absentee father, the consistently self-centered lecherous male figures, and the hope of a hero arriving to rescue her from this life sure elevates this over the toilet humor trajectory it's been on. that part's clearly misdirection in hindisght.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
So, in my absence, has IM@S been dethroned by LoveLive?

In terms of Western presence, yes, since Love Live has actually seen releases of its Smart Device game (School Idol Festival) and the anime, including cinema screenings of the film.

But overall, no, since iDOLM@STER has Xenoglossia under its belt, and, therefore, can never be dethroned, not even by something as promising as Idol Jihen.

JulianImp

Sakamoto desu ka? 1

Kirito and Onii-sama got nothing on this guy.

Funny, but I can definitely see it getting old fast.

I could've pictured it working better if it woudl've split the gags into short episodes, but 21 minutes apiece felt like too much for a gag series that focused on a single gag (Sakamoto always looking cool and coming out on top).

There're some series that actually play around with their gag (ie: OPM), but Sakamoto plays the Gary Stu character so straight it gets boring, because his inability to fail means that any dramatic tension the show might want to build up when someone plots against him is moot, and the "how will Sakamoto get out of this?" question is always answered "with the grace and poise of a purebred Gary Stu"... meh.

In terms of Western presence, yes, since Love Live has actually seen releases of its Smart Device game (School Idol Festival) and the anime, including cinema screenings of the film.

But overall, no, since iDOLM@STER has Xenoglossia under its belt, and, therefore, can never be dethroned, not even bu something as promising as Idol Jihen.

Xenoglossia doesn't exist.

Szadek

Since we are talking Another again, there is one thing I want to ask( although knowing this anime it's probably just a plot hole).
Why are these people dying? Alright, one of them is a ghost, how does this cause these deaths?
How are these 2 connected?
Is the ghost killing them? If so, why?
I mean, I can come up with a good reason for it, but I don't the anime did.

How odd, I actually think the UI in Kitsu is better than MAL. At least you can have the names of shows actually be in English rather than forcing you to have it in Romanji.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Since we are talking Another again, there is one thing I want to ask( although knowing this anime it's probably just a plot hole).
Why are these people dying? Alright, one of them is a ghost, how does this cause these deaths?
More like why do people still go to a school where people can die every year?

Syv

Neo Member

I don't think this is ever explained.
Do you mean the connection between the MC and the Ghost or the MC and Mei? As for why all this happens no idea. If it is the Ghost the only thing i can imagine is that the ghost is an asshole to everyone, like most japanese ghosts. They also never explain why it only effects this class, do they?

Tuck

Just saw the trailer for the new Yamato. God I'm so excited, though I guess since they're airing it as a film series it'll be a while before I can actually watch it.

Moonlight

Banned
So what is this about MAL. What did I miss?
Someone wrote a contributor article on anime about defeating Nazis and after putting it up, edited it (without informing the original creator) to be less critical of Nazis. It went from being a list of anime about 'kicking Nazi ass' to just 'anime featuring Nazis' and removed lines indicating disapproval of the recent resurgence of Nazism. Then added another 'positive' Nazi character to balance it out. All of which is fucked up.

Allegedly because someone involved with the site was livid at the original article.

Ascheroth

Someone wrote a contributor article on anime about defeating Nazis and after putting it up, edited it (without informing the original creator) to be less critical of Nazis. It went from being a list of anime about 'kicking Nazi ass' to just 'anime featuring Nazis' and removed lines indicating disapproval of the recent resurgence of Nazism. Then added another 'positive' Nazi character to balance it out. All of which is fucked up.

Allegedly because someone involved with the site was livid at the original article.

Thanks, I think I just found the thread about it. Ugh.

Szadek

I don't think this is ever explained.
Figured as much. I guess this important plot detail is just taken for granted.
With the discussion of the MAL Nazi fiasco, I'm now realizing that Hitlers 'appearance' in Drifters wasn't particularly negative or humorous.
Well, nobody know who he is, but he founded the pretty fucked up and racist (or whatever you call discrimination of elves and dwarves) empire.
The anime sure as hell has problem make these assholes look bad.

JulianImp

I think the explanation is as follows:
- Every year, the curse resurrects somebody and has them attend that one class, rewriting the memories of everyone related to them (but not pets, because yeah)
- Every month, the curse randomly kills off someone in that class and/or someone related to it
- If the returned person is killed (by the curse or otherwise), people stop dying for that year

I never got why that first incident actually set things off, because the deaths could never actually be attributed to that first student at all (death by lightning, anyone?). To me the curse was basically
a stupid non-entity that'd constantly revive someone and then play death roulette hoping to kill that very person with no rhyme or reason.
I'd argue that the worst part of the whole setting was that it relied on the premise that a particular class of a particular school was cursed, and yet nobody ever bothered to close that one class down or, say, transfer their kids the moment they'd be assigned to that particular class. The way the problem didn't even have a solution and the whole "I could distinguish dead people all along, but I never did because reasons" climax was also anticlimatic as hell.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Fuuka

Weird that they took out all of the Suzuka references, including the main song.

sonicmj1

So which one of these do I start after Mob Psycho 100?

I'm really, REALLY behind in anime, most of the stuff I've seen from this season I don't think I'd like - can any of you prove that wrong?

Cowboy Bebop and Death Note are generally pretty safe bets. On your list, I also think FLCL is fantastic, though it doesn't really fit the horror/mystery criteria at all.

In terms of other works in the genres you're looking for, Satoshi Kon made some of the best. Perfect Blue, Millennium Actress, and Paranoia Agent are all absolutely worth watching. You could also watch some shows directed by Hiroshi Nagahama, namely Mushishi and Aku no Hana. They're not exactly horror, but thanks to his command of mood they fall close enough (and they're just generally great enough) that I'd recommend you check them out.

Lastly, I'd suggest seeking out From the New World, which is an excellent piece of speculative science fiction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom