• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.
This sort of highlights the issue with the Netflix model since their shows have such limited visibility in discussion among the fanbase.
How well did Seven deadly sins do in the AOTY 2015 vote? I was pretty sure it was pretty popular when it aired. Maybe I'm just imagining things.

Edit: Nvm I found the thread of 2015 and boy it did awful lol, worst then KoSidonia even...I'm kind of surprised.

Narag

How well did Seven deadly sins do in the AOTY 2015 vote? I was pretty sure it was pretty popular when it aired. Maybe I'm just imagining things.

1DBtNpy.png

I don't think anyone really watched it in this community. I've been meaning to myself but simply never gotten around to it because I forget it's even there.

1DBtNpy.png

I don't think anyone really watched it in this community. I've been meaning to myself but simply never gotten around to it because I forget it's even there.
That's something that kind of surprise me honestly, for such a good looking show, with fun characters and great battles. I really thought it was more popular, I'm pretty sure I was posting here too, I guess I just wasn't paying attention.

I guess that gives strenght to your point about Netflix killing the community discussion.

Narag

That's something that kind of surprise me honestly, for such a good looking show, with fun characters and great battles. I really thought it was more popular, I'm pretty sure I was posting here too, I guess I just wasn't paying attention.

I guess that gives strenght to your point about Netflix killing the community discussion.

Oh there's always one or two people watching a show but it can so easily be overlooked. I imagine Kuromukuro would have been a thread darling if it hadn't suffered the same fate but instead there was a handful of people watching it then everyone else as stragglers weeks/months later.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I think Netflix has had pretty good luck in picking good anime for their "Netflix Originals" I've watched most of them so far and they've all been solid to great.

Qurupeke

Scum's Wish 02

I dunno, there's certainly an attempt here to be more than just another silly rom-com but all that was undercut in this episode by the silly comedy antics.

You just don't get it, it's a deconstruction of silly comedy antics!

In all seriousness, it kind of bothered me at first, but I think the show did a good job at subverting them. Princess Twintails is the standard clingy girl but I like how she's basically ignored and bullied by the couple. More importantly though, we had a short scene of introspection, so it seems she'll have a more prominent role later, and maybe she'll manage to leave the status of "comic relief". She's kind of a reminder that this is still a show about teenagers and anime have taught me there are all kinds of cliches in Japanese schools.

But you didn't comment about the important part of the episode...
The Naruto Karaoke.

Oh there's always one or two people watching a show but it can so easily be overlooked. I imagine Kuromukuro[/b[ would have been a thread darling if it hadn't suffered the same fate but instead there was a handful of people watching it then everyone else as stragglers weeks/months later.

Kuromukuro is a good point. That's the kind of show I would probably have watched weekly, but netflix holding it made me forget about it and I never got around to watching it in the end.

1DBtNpy.png

A few people watched the first couple episodes and bailed because they were repelled by the protagonist's compulsive groping habit.

O.K., sorry. Didn't want to bring contrarian views, just wanted to provide additional information maybe relevant depending of where kewlmyc saw that expression.

It wasn't about your explanation about the expression. More about not actually starting to use such words here in a non-explanatory fashion.

convo

Youjo Senki 3
"Pray to me or die" is all Nutcracker god needed to say to get the point across. I like that they are sticking with inanimate objects channeling god and not just straight up God. ED song is nice i like it better than the Overlord ED. Being X will be bringing the pain all day every day if it wasn't obvious.

They are doing the same kind of chibi mini episodes they did with overlord, and Tanya's comedy quirk seems to be about being nitpicky about everything in existence including sauerkraut and half-assed japanese only terms like salaryman which is getting funnier.

zulux21

1DBtNpy.png

I didn't get around to watching it until it was fully dubbed. so early last year as it would have knocked either Death Parade or Magic Kaito 1412 off my list that year.

but yeah the main character's groping habits likely turned a lot of people off of it.

It's funny too because if you can get past the perverted nature of the protagonist plus the fan service it's a pretty enjoyable show. In such a way I'm looking forward to a season 2.

Cornbread78

Fuuka ep.4
MVqh9QY.png

Not a bad episode based on full content. The initial drama could be seen coming a mile away, and yeah, guess what? From the end of the episode, it's just going to come back and back again.... Which one of his girls ends up pregnant or dead first?

The singing performance was pretty good and the tone of the episode and I liked the character interactions, until the final minute I should say.... The above scene was the most forced piece of ecchi trash to happen at the end of an episode for no reason whatsoever... I still laughed at it, but it was a terrible way to shoe-horn ecchi into an episode when it wasn't needed. I still to this day do not understand why they can't leave a tender/emotional/sad scene to stand on its own, without forcing a comedy bit to change the tone quickly.... Why is it that way anime masters?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
1DBtNpy.png

It's a great show. Just watched it recently. Made the JP FFXV dub even better and weirder.

brawly

JoJo: Diamond is Unbreakable | END

What a fantastic season. There were a few mediocre episodes early on but once
Kira
was introduced it was incredible. I'm definitely rewatching it from the beginning very soon.

phaze

Since there was a CG talk a bit back, It came to my attention today that that card game (Force of Will) adaptation movie composed of 6 six shorts got a PV quite a long while ago. It only shows the one short which is supposed to have Cthulu and stuff in it. From Morita, director of such a masterpiece as Tokyo Ghoul (Root A).

Anybody else in here watching Voltron this weekend? I know Narag did as well, don't recall seeing too many impressions. I mean there was Jarmel but from his impressions I don't think he'll come back for more.

Narag

Anybody else in here watching Voltron this weekend? I know Narag did as well, don't recall seeing too many impressions. I mean there was Jarmel but from his impressions I don't think he'll come back for more.

I checked out the first ep this morning and was glad it maintained the same feeling as the back half of the first season did. They also keep teasing You Know What from the original show so hard that I'm not even sure if they'll follow through with it.

1DBtNpy.png

I watched it this past Christmas Holiday when I went home. I didn't particularly care for it. My biggest issue with it is the main characters are so grossly overpowered that it completely undermines the stakes of the series.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Blue Exorcist Season 2, Episode 2:

Well then, they seem to be going for an even more slow burn then ACCA is this season, too bad Blue Exorcist doesn't really have the character depth to make it all that interesting.

Ascheroth

Kuromukuro is a good point. That's the kind of show I would probably have watched weekly, but netflix holding it made me forget about it and I never got around to watching it in the end.

You should fix this. Kuromukuro is great.
Or you could also watch Majin Bone or Danball Senki.

Cornbread78

Seiren ep.3
This kids got some crazy fetishes... And now he wants the teacher, lol. There was some cute and some funny mixed in here, but not as crazy as last week for sure. Looks like drama next week? How many girls will be featured in the show, because I don't think they can lock this all up in 1 more episode....

Qurupeke

Descending Stories 3

That was a great episode. The entire confrontation with the boss was excellent, I really like Yotaro. Also, Yakumo doing Sukeroku's best performance, so good. Anyway, seems another timeskip is happening, a bit unexpected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom