• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.
Beyblade Episode 2 engdub
C2vdYzcW8AA_peE.jpg:small
C2vgilMXgAAz60u.jpg:small

Wow I thought Kai would be the only good part but they already raised the bar even higher. 1st gen Beyblade is definitely great at times with the cool character and with this new dragon summoning mechanic. More flashy battles please, they look better than the constant motion blur with the beyblades spinning.

Izayoi

Banned
Is anyone watching OneRoom? The premsis is so fucking dumb I'm really tempted to check it out. :lol

ACCA 2

My kind of show. I miss regular ol' slice of life stuff like this. Maybe I haven't been looking in the right places, but this laid back pace is perfect for me. It bores my poor wife to tears, but she's the one who insists on watching with me! Love the characters... is Jean gonna get some next ep?

Cornbread78

Mawaru Penguindrum ep.1
Well, that was a little weird and that closing scene..... wtf; red headed bro has some
siscon
thing going on? The premise sounds interesting, so it should be interesting to see what they have to do to keep her alive.

Beyblade Burst Episode 2
C2vmpJ7XUAE2dDw.jpg:small
C2vmpJ8XcAEhRq-.jpg:small

Well I have no rush to see this since Daisuki seems to be doing one a week. Oh well, puppets is a great character.

Vayltreyk rush launch attack is so epic when it goes in and hits and hits and hits.

Kiznaiver unfortunately really didn't do it for me. I love me some Trigger animation, but I just couldn't connect with any of the characters so when the mellow drama started kicking in in episodes 8 and 9, I just didn't really care.

KING OF THE BRAVES GAOGAIGAR - #33 Departure to Below Freezing.

Mamoru and Kaido finally together, so this battle quickly became one of the best in the anime. It was just something about seeing soldnat j with the white ship against the other craft in the arctic. Glad its a two parter.

Izayoi

Banned
Dragon Maid 2

Just as I was asking for more slice of life, the second ep really delivered. I was not digging the first at all, but the humor here is far more natural and less gag-focused, which was to its detriment the first time around. I like where this show is going! (The gorgeous animation definitely helps its case - great character design too.)

Izayoi

Banned
Tanya the Evil 3

It's a damn shame about the transition from LN to anime designs. Tanya looks OK all things considered, but the other girl is so out out of place... loving the series so far, though. Thought it was strange to have ep 2 be the prologue, but things seem to be on track now. Looking forward to next week.

Sterok

Aikatsu Stars 40

More drama episodes, aka the best episodes. We've got Yume, Laura, and Lily playing double roles as idols and master thieves. And that was only a minor part. There's got to be a show with that concept. Tsubasa and Ako aren't very impressive when it comes to the singing and dancing of Aikatsu (compared to the others), but this is finally their territory. But detectives? Are they ripping off the Naughty Detectives? The true star was Yuri as the true culprit. Faked an injury, hid a gun in her arm cast, and beat down Mahiru and Yuzu with ease. Can we just make the Song Class S4 competition between Lily and Yuri, because those two are the best. With how the rest of Song Class was evil, I'd bet Hime was plotting some sort of secret evil rich person plan. Of course Tsubasa will never let a chance to criticize poor Ako go.

blurr

Mawaru Penguindrum ep.1

Well, that was a little weird and that closing scene..... wtf; red headed bro has some
siscon
thing going on? The premise sounds interesting, so it should be interesting to see what they have to do to keep her alive.

Nice.

Beyblade Episode 2 engdub
C2vdYzcW8AA_peE.jpg:small
C2vgilMXgAAz60u.jpg:small

Wow I thought Kai would be the only good part but they already raised the bar even higher. 1st gen Beyblade is definitely great at times with the cool character and with this new dragon summoning mechanic. More flashy battles please, they look better than the constant motion blur with the beyblades spinning.

This was a huge thing during my school days much like how pokemon was, I remember asking my mom to buy me one of those toys if I get good grades haha.

Season 2 unfortunately went full CGI for bey blade battles, they don't even look like they're spinning fast, that season was underwhelming in general, so much that I just didn't bother watching Grevolution(which at least looked way better).

Quasar

Demi-chan 3 - I did really like this episode. I do really feel sympathetic for the teachers situation. Though the whole romantic feelings aspect of this and last episode makes me feel like it could become a harem show at any minute.

I've been binging on Good Morning Call on Netflix the past few days. I never got into J-dramas before but this one is pretty decent. It gets really stupid randomly but it's an entertaining watch.

Are there any dramas where the male lead isn't some stoic, cool guy with a dick attitude?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Watching Granblue animated reminds me of how generic phantasy-ness of it all. They also seem off compared to their in game designs, although I guess I only see the male MC for like 10 minutes before i swapped to the female MC.

Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid 1 & 2

This is cute. I liked the first episode, but the second episode totally won me over. I wouldn't say that I'm laughing throughout the episodes, but there are some funny and surprisingly touching scenes. Overall, I think this is charming.

Tohru's "roughhousing" with Kanna was also pretty cool and well animated.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The game designs are not well suited to animation.
I guess, and maybe it's just a case of being used to the game, but the anime makes them look like... well, generic anime characters, while the designs in the game at least seemed to pop more.

Kind of curious how they introduce psycho yandere lesbian though. The game version of her yandere face is hilarious.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I can't tell what part of Gran Blue Fantasy is CG and what isn't.

Quasar

I've been binging on Good Morning Call on Netflix the past few days. I never got into J-dramas before but this one is pretty decent. It gets really stupid randomly but it's an entertaining watch.

Are there any dramas where the male lead isn't some stoic, cool guy with a dick attitude?

Yeah. That's one asian drama I got into. Watched it when netflix aired it weekly here. Really wish they had more japanese shows, rather than the glut of korean stuff.

Sangatsu - 14

It took a few episodes, but I gotta say the last 5-6 episodes have been pretty okay. The show still has its flaws but its direction has become a lot more focused than it was before.

Yeah. That's one asian drama I got into. Watched it when netflix aired it weekly here. Really wish they had more japanese shows, rather than the glut of korean stuff.

I was watching Mischievous Kiss but I couldnt make it past the 3rd episode. Got too dumb for me. I think Netflix recently added a whole bunch of Japanese dramas.

Any K-Drama recommendations?

Narag

Oshiete! Galko-chan 1-12 FIN

Finished this out of respect for haly. Watching the whole thing I can see why it was popular beyond some of the more puerile moments since they were just a (large) subset of the other urban legends etc. being discussed. Still not my thing.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Oshiete!]Galko-chan 1-12 FIN
Finished this out of respect for haly. Watching the whole thing I can see why it was popular beyond some of the more puerile moments since they were just a (large) subset of the other urban legends etc. being discussed. Still not my thing.
I think in particular it's that female bodies are such an abstract part of anime, and culture in general. This is where you insert that gif of the guy saying he only likes 2d girls because they don't smell or whatever. lol

I'm a few episodes into relife after seeing it mentioned a few times here and... I mean while there's some comedy from the awkward girl these characters just aren't clicking. It feels like none have a particularly interesting personality or interactions outside of the lead and the awkward girl

blurr

I'm a few episodes into relife after seeing it mentioned a few times here and... I mean while there's some comedy from the awkward girl these characters just aren't clicking. It feels like none have a particularly interesting personality or interactions outside of the lead and the awkward girl

Comedy and interactions are light initially but not the core aspect of the show, keep watching till you get to the meat of it.

Taruranto

Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu S2 3

The situation with Konatsu wasn't really given any introduction until now, unless I missed it or forgot about something from the first season, so I was kind of confused about what was going on at first. It was made clear enough by the end, though, and the character interactions were interesting as always. This episode had more expressive animation than usual, which really helped sell Yotaro's rant at the yakuza boss.

IIRC, the first season skipped a lot of present-day stuff with Konatsu and Yotaro. (They may have been in the OVA however)

I think in particular it's that female bodies are such an abstract part of anime, and culture in general. This is where you insert that gif of the guy saying he only likes 2d girls because they don't smell or whatever. lol

I think you value that too highly.

Galko-chan was enjoyable because the character dynamics ended up being a bit more complex than I initially expected and Galko in particular defying that 'slutty girl' stereotype was nice to see.

In a word I'd probably describe the show as pleasant.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I think you value that too highly.

Galko-chan was enjoyable because the character dynamics ended up being a bit more complex than I initially expected and Galko in particular defying that 'slutty girl' stereotype was nice to see.

In a word I'd probably describe the show as pleasant.
I dunno, I see it in the vein of Girl's High or Chu Bra, where it's your standard girl bonding slice of life show, but with the acknowledgement of women as more than just tropes. I don't think it necessarily had anything to say, but when you think about all-girl shows, these ideas don't even come into consideration.

Are we allowed to post opinions about shows that have their own threads in here? Talking about Konosuba is particular.

Of course

If you don't read manga you may not see a lot of "pure girl gyaru" which would make it a bit more novel for watchers but 99% of gal characters are the exact same archetype as Galko so she's not particularly unique all things considered.

The subject matter is but it didn't really ever catch my interest.

I dunno, I see it in the vein of Girl's High or Chu Bra, where it's your standard girl bonding slice of life show, but with the acknowledgement of women as more than just tropes. I don't think it necessarily had anything to say, but when you think about all-girl shows, these ideas don't even come into consideration.

I watched Girl's High some time ago after you made me curious with some of the comparisons and while both shows have this raunchier comedy pertaining to the female body, I'd say that's just about where that comparison ends. That aspect aside, Girl's High ended up being your fairly average shoujo comedy with melodrama. 'Acknowledging women' mattered little to me at that point.

It's part of the premise of Galko-chan and you're going to get a lot of it, but at the same time I wouldn't have stayed for some average jokes about nipple sizes and the like.

Ascheroth

Twin Star is 3/3 on OP's so far

The show isnt over yet, but I think I see why the "filler" was included in the show. It's clunky, but does a good job in tying the relevant arcs together and strengthening the bonds between characters. I really appreciate spending a good bit of time with Mayura, Seigen and some of the other warriors as I suspect the manga executed this stuff pretty fast. Haven't read it yet though, as I will wait for the anime to finish

Actually this is still all original. The Heavenly Commanders actually just started appearing properly in the manga recently, with the exception of Shimon. Some of them used their powers in the anime before they were even shown in the manga (they are canon though).
Everything after the time skip with Sae, Kuranashi and all those Basaras is an original storyline, but it also interweaves events from the manga.
-Shimon training with Mayura is canon.
-Seigens backstory is canon.
-Mayura getting that powerup is canon.
-Shimon using his Divine Enchantment in a fight against a Basara is canon.
-The Heavenly Commanders personalities and powers are canon.
-Kinako is actually canon as well, but he appeared only very recently for the first time.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I watched Girl's High some time ago after you made me curious with some of the comparisons and while both shows have this raunchier comedy pertaining to the female body, I'd say that's just about where that comparison ends. That aspect aside, Girl's High ended up being your fairly average shoujo comedy with melodrama. 'Acknowledging women' mattered little to me at that point.

It's part of the premise of Galko-chan and you're going to get a lot of it, but at the same time I wouldn't have stayed for some average jokes about nipple sizes and the like.
I think it's one of those things where I have zero expectations when it comes to anime, particularly when it comes to representation of women.

It's why I still remember Say I Love You after all this time, because for a brief moment, it showed a girl with stretch marks on her stomach. We just had another shoujo show about a girl who lost an impossible amount of weight, and her body is just treated like a plot device. Now Say I Love You isn't the greatest slice of life romance drama ever made or anything, but in the realm of anime... you really don't have all that many choices.

I'm not saying I need girls to make tampon jokes in every anime, but when I can pretty much count the examples on my fingers it's kind of telling. Add to the fact that anime is not afraid at all about talking about and depicting male bodies (how many nosebleeds have there been in anime? Infinity?), and it just makes those few examples stand out even more.

Saga of Tanya the Evil (Youjo Senki) 3

I find it amusing that God Being X admits that he's overworked and can't keep up with everyone on Earth, but then goes out of his way to make an atheist's life miserable to prove a point and test a theory. Granted, she's a piece of shit and deserves it. She's brave though, if Being X came to me in such obvious ways, I'd at least give him lip service as opposed to blatant disrespect.

Having the ED show off art from the LNs is a nice idea, but I think it only underlines how Tanya looks worse here.

I think it's one of those things where I have zero expectations when it comes to anime, particularly when it comes to representation of women.

It's why I still remember Say I Love You after all this time, because for a brief moment, it showed a girl with stretch marks on her stomach. We just had another shoujo show about a girl who lost an impossible amount of weight, and her body is just treated like a plot device. Now Say I Love You isn't the greatest slice of life romance drama ever made or anything, but in the realm of anime... you really don't have all that many choices.

I'm not saying I need girls to make tampon jokes in every anime, but when I can pretty much count the examples on my fingers it's kind of telling. Add to the fact that anime is not afraid at all about talking about and depicting male bodies (how many nosebleeds have there been in anime? Infinity?), and it just makes those few examples stand out even more.

I agree with that and for instance it stood out positively to me that Casca in Berserk actually struggles in combat when she's on her period during a battle. It's especially rare that 'strong' female fighter sort of characters are shown to be (potentially) affected by their periods. But, particularly in medieval settings, they might have quite the problem if they're unfortunate enough to be forced to engage combat while on period (depending on how strongly they're affected by it).

As far as Galko-chan is concerned, though, I think you were simply overstating its appeal. Granted, you haven't seen it and dunno what else it might have to offer but then that's the difficulty discussing things you haven't actually seen.

Jintor

galko chan is also good with diverse female body types and not making a joke out of them... or at least not making mean jokes out of them as is standard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom