• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll probably go with Bungo for the Igarashi connection. I didn't check it out at first because response to it seemed mixed, but if hosanna and Narag vouch for it that's good enough for me.

I would consider it okay, I really don't like the MC (he ticks me off) and some of the powers are just plain dumb. If nothing else the first four episodes of season 2 are quite fun even if they also have their share of problems.

I'll probably go with Bungo for the Igarashi connection. I didn't check it out at first because response to it seemed mixed, but if hosanna and Narag vouch for it that's good enough for me.

There are a fair share of people who don't like Bungo Stray Dogs, but I really like it. It can indulge in excess at times, but for the most part the audiovisual direction is really sharp and appealing to my cinematic tastes. It's my favorite Igarashi show out of what I've watched, for what that's worth, though I have yet to see his magnum opus of Doremi.

Qurupeke

3-gatsu no Lion 14

Honestly, the recent developments have surprised me.
I really wanted to see the match with Gotou, but Rei lost, to a character that seemed like a nobody. I guess it's a reminder this isn't a shounen sports series. I wonder what will happen now. Seems to be Shimada vs Gotou and then the Title match.

phaze

Captain Earth Finale and some overall thoughts.

024955izqzc.jpg
025012i5o81.jpg
025024qzolo.jpg
025094vbs0r.jpg

025027tuqlh.jpg
025042yeq4q.jpg
025035fkrzs.jpg
025047tpsgz.jpg

So uh I'd actually go as far as to say that it was a decent finale. More for its direction, storyboarding and OST than anything that the script did, though it too, with some nice callbacks, had its moments. + Bonus points for using Gattai in such an unusual way, truly a deconstruction of the genre.

Some observations on the series as a whole:

+ Igarashi still has it. Just like with the finale, I thought the series generally kept to a competent execution level. In most episodes, there were usually some shots that would catch your eye. Similarly, animation, it's not anything to write home about but it's functional, the effects animation in particular I would say, and there are some, spare admittedly, highlights here and there. (Particularly liked that bit

+ The story structure. The series generally mixed things so well in never became too repetitive.

+ Akari. And even if Igarashi's face game was weak, he still showed off an ample command of comedic timing.

+ Main four protagonists. I mean, there's not a whole lot to them but they have their own little arcs, decent interplay between them and they're bearable enough to watch.

+My Little Mecha Can't Possibly Have This Much Kissu.

(I feel like I could just slap Enokido on each of the below points)

- Most of Planetary Gear were just wasted. You spend like 6 eps on their setup-eps yet it all barely amounts to anything. Their (you can see it from a 100 miles away) redemption isn't even well handled, it comes off as half baked and rushed. And of course Enokido can't help himself from forcefeeding you yet another babble on eternal life and stuff.

- Igarshi is almost stuck with one character reaction face for the entirety of the show. I've said this before but in this regard, this and Star Driver are such a weird contrast in comparison to the veritable well of various expressions from Ouran, Soul Eater, Bungou

- The arc faction. This had potential on go into some grey territory yet ended up in the comical villain territory par for the course.

- Fucking hell. This series has probably the biggest amount of stupid technobabble ever. Libido, Machine Goodfellow, Ego, Neotheny, Kill T Gang. Some dialogue lines consisted almost exlusively of it and were pretty much undecipherable.

- Livlaster. How do you cope with not enough time to tie your plotlines ? By not attempting to tie them up at all. Sasuga Enokido.

- Asspull central. with character deaths in the final ep.

Verdict: Better than Aldnoah/Gundam Wing/Fafner.

Gundam IBO 40

Wow.....I wanna say that was an awesome looking episode, but the lost was too big :(

Naze you will remembered!

Also it's confirmed, Iok for worst Gundam character ever, I despise the guy.

Binged through Cross Game the past few days, great show, Tsukishima Aoba is probably the best executed tsundere character I've ever seen. Strong characters all around and an amazing first episode to kick it off, I'd recommend this to anyone. Just don't expect anything special in the baseball area, the baseball is nothing more than a means to push the story forward.

Also I'm not sure why I'm still watching this dragon maid show.

Boy some people really don't like female Broly...

I for one, can't wait.

#AnimeNeedsMoreBeefyWomen

I can see their side of the argument that finally a female super saiyan is made canon, and it ends up being a Broly joke by the creators.

And for those thinking Pan will eventually be the first proper one that doesn't turn into the Hulk, I don't think we'll ever see Pan not as a baby. But then again, we could always do a small time skip of her as a kid. That'd be cool. And hopefully with said time skip, Goten is no longer listening to Chichi who is ruining Goku's bloodline

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans Season 2, Episode 15:

Well then, I have to congratulate IBO for actually getting some genuine emotion out of me in relation to
the Death of the Turbines.

Jarmel

Banned
Igarashi is really good with finales. All of the shows I've seen from him have had good climax episodes.

um that's all I got

Narag

Bullshit! You don't need Kizu for Bake, it was written after!

I've long been on record that when I first gave Bakemonogatari a shot, the line about him being a vampire but having gotten better sounded more interesting than what I was watching and swore then to wait until I'd read Kizu.

Thud

Dragon Ball Super 75

Make Krillin great again.

Finally some DB action. Typically Super mixing great environments with bad battle shots.

Szadek

March comes in like a lion - Ep. 14
That was a very good episode. I wonder where the plot will go from now on.

Interviews With Monster Girls - 3
A good episode, but it had 2 big problems.
The story of the succubus really doesn't have to be this dramatic.
I'm also don't know what the teacher was thinking we talked about sex with his student.

I can watch Monogatari on wikipedia too.

But then how will you experience the cat girl episodes!? I know you don't have the will to avoid them.

On another note, with me switching to AniList it means I can finally do .5 intervals and that means I had to create a new synopsis for the new medal of honor 0.5 scores!
0.5: Super Unredeemable Shit(A score for a show or manga that manages to outdo even the most shitest titles when it comes to the idea of unredeemable. This is the ultimate shit stain badge that any show or manga could ever dream of getting, there is no unintentional joy or fun found here but only pain and suffering for those that indulge in watching or reading one of these titles.)
Now to review/look over 1000 manga entries for re-scoring since I just did 700 anime.....

phaze

Hmmmmm

Ajin S2 wasn't nearly as strong as the first season. It turned into a supernatural Tom Clancy novel. All with a 'but wait, there's more' ending that kind of left me unsatisfied. I don't know if it's worth writing a review over. S1 is fantastic, but S2..... I need to see how to review this then. If I can rate an individual season then it'll work, if I have to rate both though? Decisions decisions.

Warned ya . Also wow we agree on something.

Fafner Exodus 01

Goubain helmet will haunt me till the end won't it ? ;_; At least the guy who wore it in the movie got a critical density of death flags.

Warned ya . Also wow we agree on something.

Fafner Exodus 01

Goubain helmet will haunt me till the end won't it ? ;_; At least the guy who wore it in the movie got a critical density of death flags.

I enjoyed the shows we did a watch bet over, but I just wasn't thrilled with Mafia Doggies and thought 91 Days is better by comparison.

Izayoi

Banned
Interviews with Monster Girls 1-3

Sensei... Ever heard about curiosity killing the cat? In this case, it's going to kill you... Talking about sex with your first year high school students is probably not kosher.

Quickly turning into a harem, not at all what I was expecting at the start of the show. :lol

Love the genki vampire, she reminds me a lot of Kyouko.

Jex

Captain Earth Finale and some overall thoughts.

Verdict: Better than Aldnoah/Gundam Wing/Fafner.

I'm disgusted by these lies. The only thing Captain Earth should be compared with favourably is a lobotomy.
Fafner Exodus 01

I just hope you watched the extended, double length version of this episode and not the cut-down version found on Crunchyroll.

Hellraider

Spice & Wolf S1 - Completed

I liked it. Neither he nor Horo were the super amazing duo that the consensus had led me to believe, but they also weren't half bad. They both were cute, but I'd wanted for their interactions to be a little less anime-like awkward.

Economics-related plot lines even though they weren't that complicated, got me confused a couple of times by the way they were presented. Thankfully it always made sense in the end.

As an adaptation it felt cheap as fuck, though. Hopefully Brain's Base involvement in the second season improves things.

It was pretty interesting from beginning to end and I don't feel like it had any major flaws that would sour the overall experience. I just expected a little something more from everything about it.

My 2000's backlog cleaning is off to a decent start this year with this and Black Lagoonn, and I don't plan to stop for the next ~3 months . I need to also attempt the same for the previous decade at some point.

phaze

I enjoyed the shows we did a watch bet over, but I just wasn't thrilled with Mafia Doggies and thought 91 Days is better by comparison.

91 days I can live with but Handa-kun ? Unforgivable. ;p

At least we're Tanaka and Thunderbolt bros.

I'm disgusted by these lies. The only thing Captain Earth should be compared with favourably is a lobotomy.

Yeah, I must say that the strength of negative sentiment regarding CP round here surprises me a bit. With Fafner experience etched into my mind just weeks ago, I can only surmise that people who say Captain Earth is worse than that have to be taking crazy pills !

And yeah, watched the extended version

Jarmel

Banned
It's been a long time since I watched Spice and Wolf but unfortunately I seem to recall the 2nd season looking as bad as / slightly worse than the first. Sorry to the bearer of bad news.

On the plus side, this seems like a good excuse to watch the OP for the 432nd time https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MN_WgwEmRaw

Funny you guys posted this stuff in sequence as Toshihiro Kohama is the art director for both Spice and Wolf and Fafner Exodus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom