• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qurupeke

Interviews with Monster Girls 3
hk4SGUx.png
Vampire is like several steps ahead of the competition. Succubus needs to step up her game.

I think it's one of those things where I have zero expectations when it comes to anime, particularly when it comes to representation of women.

It's why I still remember Say I Love You after all this time, because for a brief moment, it showed a girl with stretch marks on her stomach. We just had another shoujo show about a girl who lost an impossible amount of weight, and her body is just treated like a plot device. Now Say I Love You isn't the greatest slice of life romance drama ever made or anything, but in the realm of anime... you really don't have all that many choices.

I'm not saying I need girls to make tampon jokes in every anime, but when I can pretty much count the examples on my fingers it's kind of telling. Add to the fact that anime is not afraid at all about talking about and depicting male bodies (how many nosebleeds have there been in anime? Infinity?), and it just makes those few examples stand out even more.

I don't think the gag of characters having nosebleeds when they have perverted thoughts is an accurate portrayal of the realities of the male body.

Hellraider

Mawaru Penguindrum ep.1

Well, that was a little weird and that closing scene..... wtf; red headed bro has some
siscon
thing going on? The premise sounds interesting, so it should be interesting to see what they have to do to keep her alive.

Premise was interesting from the beginning. And then you realise what the anime is actually about and it skyrockets.

This is good.

It is. AniList even lets me display titles in Japanese. I had to compensate for a couple of listing anomalies after the import, but for a list of 600+ entries that's not bad. I prefer the size and location of profile elements to Kitsu's, and it has MAL graph's score distribution as standard.

When I tried Kitsu, I couldn't even find the option for a text-only list, without the poster images bloating each entry. AniList shows the poster off to the side when you hover the title, but not otherwise. Good design.

Thud

It is. AniList even lets me display titles in Japanese. I had to compensate for a couple of listing anomalies after the import, but for a list of 600+ entries that's not bad. I prefer the size and location of profile elements to Kitsu's, and it has MAL graph's score distribution as standard.

When I tried Kitsu, I couldn't even find the option for a text-only list, without the poster images bloating each entry. AniList shows the poster off to the side when you hover the title, but not otherwise. Good design.

I like the smiley rating, although it could use more variation :p

What in the flying fuck

So I know I'm a bit LTTP since Funimation updated their site and app about a week ago, bt holy shit everything looks like garbage now. The app is a pain to sort through on PS4, and and bunch of things I clicked on didn't even work on the main page.Also why the fuck is the page to pull up my own queue buried in the My Account tab, which itself isn't even labeled as such.

Unsubbed from them until this shit is changed.

phaze

Battery 02

At least he's aware.

The end of episode kind of marred my impression of it with Harada breakdown that seemed a bit out of nowhere and him falling into the pond just being poorly depicted but whatevs, the somewhat unusual character dynamics warrant a bit more effort put into it.

After watching sports anime centered on Shogi and Baseball, I just might have enough tolerance for dull sports to handle Karuta. lol

Battery 02

At least he's aware.

The end of episode kind of marred my impression of it with Harada breakdown that seemed a bit out of nowhere and him falling into the pond just being poorly depicted but whatevs, the somewhat unusual character dynamics warrant a bit more effort put into it.

After watching sports anime centered on Shogi and Baseball, I just might have enough tolerance for dull sports to handle Karuta. lol

Karuta ain't as boring as those!

Also, the initial episodes where a bit heavy on the drama side but it gets better quickly.

Then again, not like you'd drop a show out of quality concerns
cm-vi3.gif

Aki-at

Interviews with Monster Girls 3

I'm really enjoying the gags so far and Hikari's face pulling is perfect but I'm finding it a bit awkward how all these schoolgirls are falling for their teacher. Poor succubus-sensei's competition is already ahead of her.

... I'll let myself out.

Gravity Rush 2

The game is great, 10/10, please buy, Kat best girl.

jgminto

Gundam Tekketsu 40
Iok is going to end up high on the worst Gundam characters list by the end of this season, he is terrible in every field and personal aspect, I need to see Mikazuki literally eviscerate him by the end of the season.
Gotta pour one out for Naze and Amida, they didn't deserve to go out like that and to top it off Gjallahorn has to slaughter many of their unarmed family too.
Not sure how Akihiro and the others' plan was meant to go since they ended up in direct conflict with the Gjallahorn mobile suits, but maybe that tactical information didn't reach Iok in all his tactical brilliance.

Taruranto

Battery 02

At least he's aware.

Man, Battery sucked so much. 2 Atsuko Asano's adaptations so far, and both were terrible.

blurr

Gundam Tekketsu 40
Iok is going to end up high on the worst Gundam characters list by the end of this season, he is terrible in every field and personal aspect, I need to see Mikazuki literally eviscerate him by the end of the season.
Gotta pour one out for Naze and Amida, they didn't deserve to go out like that and to top it off Gjallahorn has to slaughter many of their unarmed family too.
Not sure how Akihiro and the others' plan was meant to go since they ended up in direct conflict with the Gjallahorn mobile suits, but maybe that tactical information didn't reach Iok in all his tactical brilliance.
They mention that their excuse is that they are field testing/something along those lines and just moving in to help save the transport vessels. They didn't plan on confronting them but Master Iok's genius plan was to focus attack on transport ships.

Iron Blooded Orphans S2 14-15

Well, fuck.

Did not expect that even though
14th episode had death flag written all over it.

I'm not looking forward to Iok getting killed by anyone but simply him being put to shame by the very people he looks up to.

Cornbread78

Sensei's monster girl harem ep.3
The show continues to be a lot of fun, but it also continues to dance on that "why anime" line with style and grace; gotta give them probs for not having sensei cross the line or even appear tempted. Well, outside of succubus sensei, but that is the one I'm looking forward to, lol.

Sterok

Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans S2 15

I bet Iok felt like a big man blowing up all those fleeing and defenseless women. Guess he's no longer the funny guy. Neither Julietta nor Amida disappoint in their battle.
Naze and Amida were always going to bite it, but they managed to go out swinging. And at least Lafter and Azee made it out. It's hard to say what sort of repercussions this will have on Tekkadan, but I'd hope to imagine even Gjallarhorn would disapprove of what Iok did if word gets out.

Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans S2 15

I bet Iok felt like a big man blowing up all those fleeing and defenseless women. Guess he's no longer the funny guy. Neither Julietta nor Amida disappoint in their battle.
Naze and Amida were always going to bite it, but they managed to go out swinging. And at least Lafter and Azee made it out. It's hard to say what sort of repercussions this will have on Tekkadan, but I'd hope to imagine even Gjallarhorn would disapprove of what Iok did if word gets out.

I feel like Iok's eventual downfall will be Rustal just giving up on him and possibly even eliminating him because he's become a liability because he's a fucking idiot

blurr

Girlish Number 11-12 END

Whoa, I'm actually completing a backlog.

The true nature of the story was something I didn't get a grip of until much later. It's essentially about the common pitfalls of talented individuals, Chitose being one of them. She is very relateable in many ways albeit she is a bit of an exaggeration of those aspects.

While she continued to gloat in her obvious conceit, it wasn't until Nanami, a new girl who didn't necessarily have a talent so much as her will to work hard and make it big that Chitose began to see the value of hard work. Well, rather than the value of it the effects of it. It's perhaps because I've related to her a lot but I really liked Chitose, she poured in a lot of the charm of the show, there's no denying that her personality isn't exactly something someone would like. This bold display of a rotten or unsocial personality is something I suppose a Wataru Watari trademark. It's all fun until it becomes a serious hindrance to yourself or the others, at which point, the story tries to breakdown the personality. I find that interesting in general, it can flesh out the character in surprising ways and sometimes offer a fresher perspective towards yourself. The rest of the cast have their own contributions to the show's narrative but these last couple of episodes focused on Chitose.

The anime visually feels very reflective of Chitose's own personality and the narrative itself. Really pretty shots followed by really bland ones for when they don't have anything involving the central characters. Regardless of whether or not it is actually intentional, it's nice to entertain the idea that it is. Is the LN author in the show a surrogate of Wataru? we do find him justifying any problems of production to reassure himself regardless of it being true.

Syrinx

After I finish Rakugo, I probably have time to marathon one more show before I vote AOTY.

Girlish Number, Kiznaiver, or other?

duckroll

Incendies

You might have watched some anime today. Or maybe you did something more worthwhile with your life and watched a white man TV series. Or a movie. Or maybe even Taiwanese puppets. You might think it was great. You might have been impressed with how good it seemed.

You are wrong. Whatever you watched, was probably not as good as Incendies.

phaze

Incendies

You might have watched some anime today. Or maybe you did something more worthwhile with your life and watched a white man TV series. Or a movie. Or maybe even Taiwanese puppets. You might think it was great. You might have been impressed with how good it seemed.

You are wrong. Whatever you watched, was probably not as good as Incendies.

What if I watched 1/3 of Prisoners today.

Battery 05

Baseball is srs business.

MSMrRound

Tales of Zestiria the X 15

That fight scene, that Ufotable A-game animation. Holy crap.

We are not worthy.

Being Alisha is suffering as usual.
at least they didn't kill off that two mob members in the group, the short hair lass and the bow user...for now...kind of enjoyed how they were added to the story

Are dubs releasing faster than before or is it just me? Or are publishing/licensing companies now simply now getting a crew together from the get go?

Funimation have there simuldubs, that's there goal. To release an episode dubbed as early as 2 weeks(faster in some cases) after it aired in Japan. So yea it's faster.

Syrinx

I'll probably go with Bungo for the Igarashi connection. I didn't check it out at first because response to it seemed mixed, but if hosanna and Narag vouch for it that's good enough for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom