• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.
91 days I can live with but Handa-kun ? Unforgivable. ;p

At least we're Tanaka and Thunderbolt bros.

Yeah, I must say that the strength of negative sentiment regarding CP round here surprises me a bit. With Fafner experience etched into my mind just weeks ago, I can only surmise that people who say Captain Earth is worse than that have to be taking crazy pills !

And yeah, watched the extended version

You forget I didn't watch more on 2016, and recently I watched Ajin and Drifters. Which will likely require me to revise my list and probably kick off some of the shows in there.

Jex

Yeah, I must say that the strength of negative sentiment regarding CP round here surprises me a bit. With Fafner experience etched into my mind just weeks ago, I can only surmise that people who say Captain Earth is worse than that have to be taking crazy pills !

I think the only other person I personally know on the internet who watched and somewhat enjoyed Captain Earth is Brian Smith from Dynamite in the Brain. I am certain there are more of you out there, as the Neo-Nazi site MAL indicates there are at least a few thousand people who seem to have liked it.

I personally found the writing, and pacing, but mainly the writing, to be far too tiresome to suffer through.

Narag

Bungou Stray Dogs S2 1-4
o5OX0vPl.jpg
YOFqu1Pl.png

lLkhYT6l.png
W546kfwl.png

HeTyR5vl.png
WDIT0Vrl.png
This was as good as advertised by phaze and hosanna among others. Great leveraging of the setting with a different POV character showing us just why Dazai, who is a supporting character in this arc, acts like he's so desperate to leave the past behind during the present where he's one of the principals.. The animated idiosyncrasy such as more cartoonish character design or more "anime faces" were largely relegated to Dazai or those in his immediate presence such that it felt he was the source of levity in a darker time. That's not to say it's free of animeisms as it's still super powered folk running a mafia but how it's handled is similar to Rurouni Kenshin: Tsuioku-hen in that it's severely restrained. Please don't take that as a quality assessment either when it's there to serve as an example in execution in one specific area as it's rarely drawn out shounen fights but instead overwhelming shows of force.

Ending the third ep with Oda no longer being able to write the conclusion to his story after telling Gide his dreams of the future was such a great choice too as was Dazai immediately trying to talk Oda out of his imminent suicide the episode after. Not to draw too specious of a comparison to another superior work but the last episode of this arc was very, very evocative of the last episode of Cowboy Bebop in that there's this tangible discomfort in watching a sympathetic character decide it's time to go off and die. So much so in fact I'm tempted to dig out the BDs later as some of the shots looked like they were direct homage of Spike's final run. Also appreciated the visual metaphor of the dying Oda helping Dazai see things clearly at last.

I wish this was an OVA or movie since it's leagues above the TV series but at the same time, the first season was integral to this. We want to see these events unfold not just because of what's happening in the current chronology but because it finally pulls the back the curtain on the enigmatic Dazai and we get to see what exactly drives him as a character. Because of that, I don't think it'd work quote so well standlaone

Cornbread78

3-gatsu ep.14
Man, I thought Rei was
going to win that match after the scene we saw last week with the light shining through the broken glass
hopefully Rei takes thr right steps to improve himself as his teacher istructed.

phaze

I think the only other person I personally know on the internet who watched and somewhat enjoyed Captain Earth is Brian Smith from Dynamite in the Brain. I am certain there are more of you out there, as the Neo-Nazi site MAL indicates there are at least a few thousand people who seem to have liked it.

I personally found the writing, and pacing, but mainly the writing, to be far too tiresome to suffer through.

For a moment there, I thought you were were likening me to a Nazi for liking* it lol.

*For clarity's sake, it should be noted that, it being better than GW, Fafner, Aldnoah is not a high praise. Despite some bright spots, I think it's far removed from a "good" show, I just don't think it's the very pinnacle of bad given what I've been exposed to.

Also it gets better after the first few episodes. Really !

Bungou Stray Dogs S2 1-4

Glad you enjoyed it. The Bebop similarity is not something I thought of but you're right it's there.

Ushio and Tora 7

This was probably one of my favourite episode so far. The dynamic between Ushio, his father and Tora was outstanding! At time I laughed and at others I teared up. Beautifully done Father/Son relation. Also helped a bunch that that actions and fight scenes looked amazing. But what got me the most this episode was the line line said by his father...Your mother his a beautiful woman. The timing of that line, the father having his back turned and Ushio smiling was like perfect!

Ushio and Tora 8

This was more standard and suffered from the while the main cast talk and plan something the big evil doesn't move and wait. But that did not really bother me in the en since the action looked really cool and we are once more teased the big bad boss. Also god damn Fusuma looked amazingly ugly and horrifying!

Ushio and Tora 9

This episode on the other end did not work for me at all. Characters interaction felt bad and left me feeling nothing about the character introduced. The way things were talked was super dumb and I never understood why the workers came to help them. Also how come Tora couldn't lift a truck when last episode he lifted a god damn plane! I did not enjoy this episode, felt bad and that wild dog face on the sun was terrible.

Cornbread78

Tales of Zestiria the X S2 ep.3
Yup, good show continues to be good. Sorey is starting to settle in on his core beliefs and what he needs to do as the Shepard. A little prodding by Maevyn never hurts...

Ushio and Tora 7

This was probably one of my favourite episode so far. The dynamic between Ushio, his father and Tora was outstanding! At time I laughed and at others I teared up. Beautifully done Father/Son relation. Also helped a bunch that that actions and fight scenes looked amazing. But what got me the most this episode was the line line said by his father...Your mother his a beautiful woman. The timing of that line, the father having his back turned and Ushio smiling was like perfect!

Ushio and Tora 8

This was more standard and suffered from the while the main cast talk and plan something the big evil doesn't move and wait. But that did not really bother me in the en since the action looked really cool and we are once more teased the big bad boss. Also god damn Fusuma looked amazingly ugly and horrifying!

Ushio and Tora 9

This episode on the other end did not work for me at all. Characters interaction felt bad and left me feeling nothing about the character introduced. The way things were talked was super dumb and I never understood why the workers came to help them. Also how come Tora couldn't lift a truck when last episode he lifted a god damn plane! I did not enjoy this episode, felt bad and that wild dog face on the sun was terrible.

I suggest reading the manga after finishing season 1, because in total the whole series skips between 100-160 chapters (I can't remember how many it was exactly since I counted it up last year) of the 313 chapters that make up the manga. And a decent amount of those are quite story important, your going to be confused as fuck when S2 starts and previously unshown characters show up like your supposed to already know them.

Puzzle & Dragons X Episode 28 – Soul Brave Activated!

Ace is too amazing, Horus is surprisingly the best one in this anime. though I prefer the cute kitten too. I enjoyed Ace's fight the most, but Sturgeons was cool too. The eventual fight between him and Ace or even him and Lance will be something to look forward too.
C2zkyyTWgAAgbrF.jpg:small

Pokemon electric cat when?

I didn't like Captain Earth for the same reasons I disliked Star Driver:

Monster of the week format that is done in such a way that the hero(es) cannot lose even once or the story is over. Sucked all the tension out of the show that the other aspects couldn't make up for. Difference is I found some enjoyment out of Star Driver because I liked the ridiculous characters.

I suggest reading the manga after finishing season 1, because in total the whole series skips between 100-160 chapters (I can't remember how many it was exactly since I counted it up last year) of the 313 chapters that make up the manga. And a decent amount of those are quite story important, your going to be confused as fuck when S2 starts and previously unshown characters show up like your supposed to already know them.

Alright noted! I'll probably still try to watch the anime first, but if I get really lost I will know why and I'll switch.

Jex

[Granblue Fantasy] - 1

I knew this was going to be disappointing from the very first shot of the series. Much like the opening line of a book, the opening shot of a show is the director's chance to pull you you into their world, set the tone, or convey some key ideas and information to the audience. So how does a fantasy epic such as Granblue Fantasy begin? Perhaps a sweeping vista to establish the world, or an epic battle to excite the audience or could it be a more tender and human scene to establish character?

Boldly, Granblue Fantasy decides eschew any of the above options and instead opts to open looking at a door. Well, it's more accurate to say that it opens with the audience looking through a door, but the camera soon tracks back to reveal the complete door in all its, er, doorish glory. Is the door some fabulous portal into unknown and hitherto unthinkable excitement? No. I think it can be best described as 'brown':

A scene like this, where the audience gazes through a looked door into another room, can only be as interesting as what's on the other side of that door. When we look through a door we should want to get to what's on the other side - or perhaps we want to make sure the door is sealed and never opened. Perhaps there's a beautiful person on the other side, or a horrible monster, or a magical world. It should be, at the very least, something that interests the audience on some level.

It should not be 3 purple tubes. I mean, these aren't even 3 cool looking purple tubes, they actually look very plain and ordinary, as far as purple tubes go. This doesn't invoke any wonder or interest, it's just very flat and boring imagery. What director thinks that these are important pieces of their visual story, apart from an incompetent one? Perhaps I shouldn't extrapolate to much from this single directorial choice over a single shot - but it feels to me that the first shot of your series should actually mean something, where as this apparently pointless shot of some scenery means literally nothing.

I think it's worth pointing out that we never re-visit this door and these purple tubes ever again. This door had no meaning. It sealed away no secrets. It conveyed nothing about the series or it's characters. It didn't invoke a mood. It was apparently just a completely incidental door. What it did tell me was that this episode as going to be as bland and uninspired as you can be when you're working with the apparently infinite money Cygames has to throw away on anime.

Make no mistake, there is clearly technical artistry to be found within Granblue Fantasy. The character designs are extremely complicated and for once, while there are multiple characters in the series that wear armour none of it is CG.

There's even some attractively flashy action:

And the background art is certainly...pleasant:

The problem is that all of this talent is ultimately in service of nothing. You can assemble all the technically skilled artists you want to work on your show, but if your work has no character and life of its own then it all for naught. Granblue Fantasy feels completely devoid of soul. I don't feel any passion behind or vision behind this anime at all, it feels like a factory produced, generic fantasy story.

Except it slightly worse than even the above description suggests because, like so many Mobage/VN adaptations of late, the show's cast is completely boring. The main hero is generic good guy with no defining features or characteristics besides wanting to help people and the primary heroine is equally as vapid. Together, they form a completely forgettable duo that lack even one iota of charisma. The closest thing this episode has to a character is Gran's annoying mascot, which is really saying something.

At least it's not as bad as Fate Grand Order.

Quasar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfi6hUPJpe4

That is an interesting topic for discussion. Not saying I agree with those arguments, but then luck does have a lot to do with a number of super popular but flawed shows being super popular.

Is the number of gaming focused shows pre SAO really as low as he suggests? just .hack and the almost concurrent accel world?

[Granblue Fantasy] - 1
I think it's worth pointing out that we never re-visit this door and these purple tubes ever again. This door had no meaning. It sealed away no secrets. It conveyed nothing about the series or it's characters. It didn't invoke a mood. It was apparently just a completely incidental door. What it did tell me was that this episode as going to be as bland and uninspired as you can be when you're working with the apparently infinite money Cygames has to throw away on anime.

Don't they use the purples tubes to control Lycia? and the primal beast at the start and at the end of the episode? We can assume a few things on what these are. Considering the show seems monster heavy, and that the purple stones seems to be their source.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfi6hUPJpe4

That is an interesting topic for discussion. Not saying I agree with those arguments, but then luck does have a lot to do with a number of super popular but flawed shows being super popular.

Is the number of gaming focused shows pre SAO really as low as he suggests? just .hack and the almost concurrent accel world?

Interesting view and can't say I downright disagree with some of the points brought up. It's definitely a possibility that the show has become as popular as it did because of the points he mentioned.

I do agree with him though. It's not bad as massive haters make it out to be, but nowhere near as good as the die hard fans will tell you it is. I think when I watched it I was really into romance manga/anime, so for myself definitely a point I loved was how far the relationship of the main two got through in the first arc.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Mawaru Penguindrum OP for the Fifth Time

Hmmm, yes I can confirm that this OP is in fact...good

The song alone might be GOAT tier, its up there.
It's Etsuko Yakushimaru. She has done loads of good opening and ending themes. Space Dandy ED, Tatami Galaxy ED, Arakawa Under the Bridge OP. Other studios/directors have used her work to better effect I think.

Jarmel

Banned
To expand on that youtuber's argument, essentially the part crediting the Rift is bullshit. He largely ignores Accel World when talking about the Oculus Rift despite Accel World also coming out during the initial kickstarter campaign. Accel World aired literally just a season before SAO. So I don't find that a particularly convincing reason when you have two shows about VR/AR with one that selling 8k airing pretty much at the same time as another show selling 36k. That holds up both from Western and Eastern audiences with Accel World being punted to the Forgotten Realm with Western audiences. I'm not completely discounting the impact the Rift/VR in general had on SAO's success but I think he largely overstates that.

The points he was saying earlier such as Kirito being perfect for self-insertion carry much more weight because we have a history of that selling in the industry, both before and after SAO's initial airing.

It's Etsuko Yakushimaru. She has done loads of good opening and ending themes. Space Dandy ED, Tatami Galaxy ED, Arakawa Under the Bridge OP. Other studios/directors have used her work to better effect I think.

Those are also all good OP/ED. Her voice is amazing

How is the Pokemon Sun & Moon anime? Since I'm sorta tempted to start it but I haven't seriously watched a Pokemon anime since, Johto.

Well made, fun, worth watching

Tales of Zestiria the X 15

My AOTS from the summer aiming to be my AOTS for winter too. Super nice episode we got treated to an amazing Ufotable tier fight between seraphim and they each showed just how badass they all were. Lailah particularly showed how awesome she is. Mayvin guiding Sorey with is wisdom is always cool annd we got some super nice character developpement for both Rose and Alicia.

They changed the stort A LOT with this episode, so while they follow a similar line, I'm kind of happy not really knowing what might happen next.

Sorey and Mikleo had a nice best boy duo moment. The canon main couple is strong.

To expand on that youtuber's argument, essentially the part crediting the Rift is bullshit. He largely ignores Accel World when talking about the Oculus Rift despite Accel World also coming out during the initial kickstarter campaign. Accel World aired literally just a season before SAO. So I don't find that a particularly convincing reason when you have two shows about VR/AR with one that selling 8k airing pretty much at the same time as another show selling 36k. That holds up both from Western and Eastern audiences with Accel World being punted to the Forgotten Realm with Western audiences. I'm not completely discounting the impact the Rift/VR in general had on SAO's success but I think he largely overstates that.

The points he was saying earlier such as Kirito being perfect for self-insertion carry much more weight because we have a history of that selling in the industry, both before and after SAO's initial airing.

Wasn't it more of an argument that the show came up during the time period that VR gaming was a major topic? Vs a show that came prior where it could just be tossed aside like the group of 80s films dealing with virtual reality. I didn't see it as a major point of his, just something to add to the bulk.

Sterok

Maho Girls Precure 49

Hot damn that was a sweet final battle. A little short, but still epic and finally bringing the mid-battle form switching. Haa-chan knows how to act like a god.
Then a very well done separation that's emotional, yet doesn't become overly cheesy like some other shows have done. The only proof that everything happened was memories. Thankfully everyone else remembered them too. And then, something different. Time skip! University Mirai! Not something I ever expected to see in Precure. Of course they finally get to reunite after all these years thanks to a little miracle and magic. And so ends another fun and uplifting chapter of this franchise.

Wait, it's not over? How was that not the last episode?
That had all the emotional beats. It was satisfying. Everything was wrapped up. I hope the last episode manages to justify its existence.

The next crossover is going to be interesting in how they manage these three. The last one managed to justify the princess quartet still being around, but that's a bit tougher this time. Unless we get some sort of crazy retcon next episode, but that's unlikely. I know we're not supposed to think about that, but still.

Jarmel

Banned
Wasn't it more of an argument that the show came up during the time period that VR gaming was a major topic? Vs a show that came prior where it could just be tossed aside like the group of 80s films dealing with virtual reality. I didn't see it as a major point of his, just something to add to the bulk.

However another show dealing with the same topic was airing in the exact same timeframe. It's not like Accel World came out a year earlier or even half a year earlier.

Accel World being forever cast in SAO's shadow will forever be a travesty since the former is better than SAO in every way.

I hope Kuroyukihime kicks Kirito's ass in the crossover game.

Quasar

That's certainly how I understood it.

Quasar

Accel World being forever cast in SAO's shadow will forever be a travesty since the former is better than SAO in every way.

I hope Kuroyukihime kicks Kirito's ass in the crossover game.

See I never liked Accel World, and saw it as an also ran knockoff at the time. But that says more about and how I came to both shows. Hell I might have actually started getting into anime at the same time. Though SAO wasn't my gateway anime...that purely came down to getting access to anime via netflix. If anything my return to anime (as I did watch some anime as a little kid long before) gateway was actually Ah My Goddess.

As for SAO v Accel World...setting played a huge role I think in why I liked SAO more. And oddly despite really liking the idea of having a little fat kid as a protagonist, as it was unusual, the fantasy game setting of SAO and the wider cast was more entertaining to me.

godisntheradio

Neo Member
Fafner in the Azure: Dead Agressor 16

I couldn't remember why mark sein was more powerful than the other robots because i'm watching one episode a week, everything else i don't understand i assume will be explained in due time. also, finally something happened to island people favor.
It's kind of hard to write about this since the only mecha anime i watched are Evangelion and Gurren Lagann, and i'm trying not to draw comparisons, but it's hard.

Taruranto

Someone should try to switch Chain Chronicles and Gran Blue impressions and see how long it takes for people to notice the difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom