• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.
How is the Pokemon Sun & Moon anime? Since I'm sorta tempted to start it but I haven't seriously watched a Pokemon anime since, Johto.

C2zXq-_WgAQbqs_.jpg

GranBlue has better waifus and husbandos thusly it has better gacha.

Course with all that money you'd think the GBF anime would look cooler.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I agree with that and for instance it stood out positively to me that Casca in Berserk actually struggles in combat when she's on her period during a battle. It's especially rare that 'strong' female fighter sort of characters are shown to be (potentially) affected by their periods. But, particularly in medieval settings, they might have quite the problem if they're unfortunate enough to be forced to engage combat while on period (depending on how strongly they're affected by it).

As far as Galko-chan is concerned, though, I think you were simply overstating its appeal. Granted, you haven't seen it and dunno what else it might have to offer but then that's the difficulty discussing things you haven't actually seen.
I mean, I can only speak from my experience, and while I have long since moved past the "firehawk challenge" days of watching every single anime that comes out in a single season, I still try to look for interesting shows - particularly those that feature female protagonists. At least with contemporary anime of the last decade or so (I can't believe I've been watching Japanese cartoons for almost 10 years :/), it's still mostly a novelty.

It makes sense, because of who buys anime and the related merch associated with anime. It's an industry where all actresses have to pretend to be single after all.

But the fact that Galko deals with body issues is its unique point that makes it stand out, even in the realm of 3 minute animes. Otherwise, there are countless "girls hang around in a classroom talking to each other" animes out there.

galko chan is also good with diverse female body types and not making a joke out of them... or at least not making mean jokes out of them as is standard
There's that too.

I don't think the gag of characters having nosebleeds when they have perverted thoughts is an accurate portrayal of the realities of the male body.
I guess the flip side is that it at least acknowledges male sexuality. It's funny/sad that something like Maria Holic has to basically use the same trope because no one wants to think about a way to metaphorically allude to female arousal. lol

I guess the flip side is that it at least acknowledges male sexuality. It's funny/sad that something like Maria Holic has to basically use the same trope because no one wants to think about a way to metaphorically allude to female arousal. lol

I don't think nosebleeds are considered to be gender specific, like, say, male erections (see Trapeze episode 2) are.

So Ash or whatever the fuck they call him is even more screwed up looking? I'm okay with this, if he doesn't age he needs to do something.

Ash in Sun and Moon is the perfect protagonist.

kewlmyc

Gigguk hit the nail on the head that if Accel World changed their protaganist, it would be way more popular than it currently is. It's not even that the protagonist is fat. You can still have relatable, interesting, self insertable, and/or likable characters regardless of their weight. It's that he's also comically short compared to the rest of the cast (he's the size of a 2nd grader) and most of the series relies on him having very low self esteem and being bullied. Yet at the same time, the show wanted you to belief that he was pulling ass of both his childhood friend and the hottest girl in the school. I think they added more to the harem as the show went on, but I honestly dropped it during the middle of the loli arc.

There was also a problem with the designs of the VR version of the characters. They weren't bad, but instead of just being the main characters wearing fantasy clothing and wielding swords, they were this weird mix of mechs and stands. Yeah it was a blend of two very popular things, but most were over-complicated looking and had weird or uncool movesets. Like Silver Crow (mc's avatar) only real attacks during the first half at least was punching and flying. It's fine, but it doesn't really stand out compared to Kirito's dual wielding swords.

The plot also is a good factor in why SAO became more popular than Accel World. SAO (at least at the start) had an interesting premise with the whole death game. At first, it felt that anyone could die and it played around with being trapped in an MMO. There were stakes and you knew that if you lost a battle, there would be repercussions. Accel World didn't have this. The biggest stakes I can remember is that MC's male childhood friend was jealous of him for various reasons and their friendship was at stake. Not really all that interesting.

So yeah, I don't feel as if Accel World's MC being fat was the only reason why the show wasn't as popular as SAO. It was a part of it, but only a small piece of the puzzle as to why I don't think that show will ever match SAO's popularity.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
galko chan is also good with diverse female body types and not making a joke out of them... or at least not making mean jokes out of them as is standard
This is like saying Super Sonico is progressive...

Isn't there a shot in Accel World where even though he's supposed to be much shorter than anybody else he goes to the restroom and everything is designed as if his height was the average?

Pokemon: S&M1
Satoshi? Lizardmon? Prof Ooakido? THIS AIN'T POKEMON!
In all serious, quite enjoying the comedy and the cartoony art style change from the previous entries. One question, so do no Pokemon other then Pikachu say their own name but rather sound like animals in the Japanese versions of the series or this just somehow new for this entry?

Narag

Pokemon: S&M1
Satoshi? Lizardmon? Prof Ooakido? THIS AIN'T POKEMON!
In all serious, quite enjoying the comedy and the cartoony art style change from the previous entries. One question, so do no Pokemon other then Pikachu say their own name but rather sound like animals in the Japanese versions of the series or this just somehow new for this entry?

Pretty sure they say parts of their names from all I've seen.

Zestiria - 15

I'm going to watch Granblue after this and going by impressions for that, maybe I should have left this for last. This show is hitting all of the right notes, this is fantasy done right all the way from season 1 until now. If Granblue lacks a soul of its own, which this show has in spades, I am probably going to notice it right away.
Oh, the line art? Yeah, that's a deliberate artistic choice for whatever reason. It's similar to what was done for Occultic;Nine, which had the same director of photography.
I pointed it out last week, but Scum's Wish does it as well. Not as "rough" as this show, but it does it nonetheless. I kinda like it?

Cornbread78

Mawaru Penguindrum ep.2
Oh wait, so there are more people like them? Are these people supossed to go against one another for
the penguin drum?
Either way those penguins are useless for everything other than giving the bros panty shots, lol.

Clov

So, I ended up running out of room on my shelf for anime BDs.

I have a bunch of figures on the next shelf down, so I can't really use those. The shelf below that is for games. I might have to find another place for my newest additions, or otherwise shuffle the shelves around, but I'd rather not do that... I'm picking up a bunch of releases in February too, so I need to figure it out soon.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I don't think nosebleeds are considered to be gender specific, like, say, male erections (see Trapeze episode 2) are.
I'd be somewhat curious to read about the history of the nosebleed, but it's so coded as male desire, perhaps in part because anime about horny boys peeping/falling on girls are a dime a dozen.

This is like saying Super Sonico is progressive...
It's not even necessarily that it's progressive, it's that it exists.
Look at how anime girls are usually depicted? Rail thin, light skin, shorter than men. That's just the normal body type. The only thing that changes is the hair color and whether or not the character designer has a breast fetish.

Gigguk hit the nail on the head that if Accel World changed their protaganist, it would be way more popular than it currently is. It's not even that the protagonist is fat. You can still have relatable, interesting, self insertable, and/or likable characters regardless of their weight. It's that he's also comically short compared to the rest of the cast (he's the size of a 2nd grader) and most of the series relies on him having very low self esteem and being bullied. Yet at the same time, the show wanted you to belief that he was pulling ass of both his childhood friend and the hottest girl in the school. I think they added more to the harem as the show went on, but I honestly dropped it during the middle of the loli arc.

There was also a problem with the designs of the VR version of the characters. They weren't bad, but instead of just being the main characters wearing fantasy clothing and wielding swords, they were this weird mix of mechs and stands. Yeah it was a blend of two very popular things, but most were over-complicated looking and had weird or uncool movesets. Like Silver Crow (mc's avatar) only real attacks during the first half at least was punching and flying. It's fine, but it doesn't really stand out compared to Kirito's dual wielding swords.

The plot also is a good factor in why SAO became more popular than Accel World. SAO (at least at the start) had an interesting premise with the whole death game. At first, it felt that anyone could die and it played around with being trapped in an MMO. There were stakes and you knew that if you lost a battle, there would be repercussions. Accel World didn't have this. The biggest stakes I can remember is that MC's male childhood friend was jealous of him for various reasons and their friendship was at stake. Not really all that interesting.

So yeah, I don't feel as if Accel World's MC being fat was the only reason why the show wasn't as popular as SAO. It was a part of it, but only a small piece of the puzzle as to why I don't think that show will ever match SAO's popularity.

Actually it did have this. The stakes in Accel World's fights was that if you lost a battle, you lost points. These points were needed in order to keep playing the Brain Burst game. Lose all your points, and you can't accelerate anymore.

And you know what? This is ten times more interesting to me than SAO's death game plot.

The Accelerated World IMO is a more inherently interesting concept than SAO's VRMMOs. It's this hidden thing from the real world that nobody but a few teenagers know about and is more or less some big secret society that all the cool kids use. It's not just a game, it's a super power. These kids can pretty much stop time to think faster than anybody else whenever they want but they have to play a fighting game in order to keep it. It's super easy to be kicked out of it if you're careless and everybody who has it doesn't want to lose it.

These teenagers are essentially living alternate lives in secret from everybody else while still living in the real world.

I guess, when you get down to it, that's not really as grabbing of a scenario as "A bunch of kids are trapped in a video game and if they die there they die in real life" to the common anime fan, but for me it's something I can more easily get into if only for the uniqueness factor of the Accelerated World in general.

Also Kuroyukihime is the best.

I'd be somewhat curious to read about the history of the nosebleed, but it's so coded as male desire, perhaps in part because anime about horny boys peeping/falling on girls are a dime a dozen.

I don't know how the noseblood trope originated - just tried to do some Internet searching about the subject and couldn't come up with anything conclusive. It does seem to be rooted in genres aimed at boys and men, from shounen manga such as Dragon Ball and Ranma 1/2 to even works featuring females getting nosebleeds such as the Maria Holic example that you mentioned.

If you lose in Accel World you lose Brain Burst and all your memories associated with it, which could be years worth of relationships and friendships both IN & out of game.

There werent really any stakes in GGO and ALO though.

duckroll

Tales of Zestiria the X - Episode 15

That was some good shit. Some people probably died animating those effects, but they were nice. The scene at the end was pretty intense too. Ufotable is doing God's work. I'm really happy they finally went into the history of Dezel and Rose. There seems to be an undercurrent of a "previous generation" storyline having happened with heroes and adventurers in the past who are related to the current party. Fairly typical for this sort of traditional fantasy story, but also something I enjoy seeing. :)

This Granblue anime came out this year right? I'm not watching an anime from '07?

Why aren't you doing something worthwhile with your life like watching Incendies?

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
It's not even necessarily that it's progressive, it's that it exists.
Look at how anime girls are usually depicted? Rail thin, light skin, shorter than men. That's just the normal body type. The only thing that changes is the hair color and whether or not the character designer has a breast fetish.
Pretty sure this has more to do with the shows that you specifically watch than anything else. Galko is not pushing obese character designs or anything that really falls out of the norm.

Granblue - 01

Wasn't bad per say, but seems like a story that is pretty straight forward. Generic is probably the right word for it. And again, coming from Zestiria to this probably only made me see this in a worse light. I'll leave it here.

So for game players, is ToZ still following the game scenario?

I stopped playing after the war, and that ended in a completely different way on there. No idea whether where they are at now would come after the events from the game though. Basically the last episode of S1 is as far as my knowledge from the game goes. I too would be curious to know (without spoilers for the anime obv)

So for game players, is ToZ still following the game scenario?
Following a similar line but many aspect of it are changed. It's been a while though so my memory is a little fuzzy. But this Vlad person( Dezel's friend) for exemple is quite different. How Sorey met Rose is also quite different, Alisha is quite more present. The way Sergei is involved so far is far from similar. We did not see any of the elemantal dungeons. Rose is also receiving much more character developpement.

The comment below me saying that it's like we are traveling from town to town is pretty accurate actually.

Cornbread78

RahXephon ep.20
I'm surprised they jumped past wverything that happened in ep.19 and Ayato didn't spend any time reflecting on it. So, how the hell did
his friend cross over when Ayato did using RahXephon? If it wasn't hos golam he just destroyed, whose was it?
Also, how is
Mishima now materialized & visable, plus
now part of his old team? WT....

Narag

Doukyuusei
I'm not one for romance anime but this was positively delightful. I thought the overly dramatic early feelings and jealousies were going to dominate things at first but instead were deftly put in place as this root of awkward teen romance that just made it all the more real The real treat was that developing into genuine feelings between Kusakabe and Sajou so that when they struggled to reconcile their relationship, the words spoken in anger stung the viewer just as much as it did their target because we could see the feelings they were afraid to admit to one another. Great stuff.

Thoraxes

So, I ended up running out of room on my shelf for anime BDs.

I have a bunch of figures on the next shelf down, so I can't really use those. The shelf below that is for games. I might have to find another place for my newest additions, or otherwise shuffle the shelves around, but I'd rather not do that... I'm picking up a bunch of releases in February too, so I need to figure it out soon.

I have almost two shelves full of anime, and I had to start stacking them vertically to save space.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom