• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

Seiren ep.4
Not a fan of
bittersweet
endings; well, this ending was just pretty bad in general; really rushed and forced. I hope the next one is sweeter and more interesting. Oh well, on to the next chick's route.

dan2026

Because I know everyone here cared deeply about Berserk 2016, here's a visual for the second season.

Are you feeling it guys?

I'm really feeling it.

;_;

Considering they already skipped a good 50% of the Berserk manga.
I would have to say on average, weighing all the options, that no I am not feeling it.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Funimation basically does three types of dubs. Big budget shows that get their full attention. Regular shows that don't. Then there are the cheap pervert shows that they pick up to make some extra coin and with these they usually go all out on making the dub as goofy as possible.

Keijo's dub was on Dubbletalk so it had to at least have some effort put into it. At least I hope so.

I usually like Funimation's dub, they are pretty good at nailing good VA's.

Funimation basically does three types of dubs. Big budget shows that get their full attention. Regular shows that don't. Then there are the cheap pervert shows that they pick up to make some extra coin and with these they usually go all out on making the dub as goofy as possible.

It's probably a good call with Akiba's Trip, since the original Japanese is so dull. I don't know that I always appreciate such liberties. I know I didn't appreciate them with Prison School, but I guess if the original is available, there's little harm in offering a revised version with a few changes. I might even have my wife and I switch to the dub if its that funny all the time. We've watched enough of the Japanese to understand the show is whacky, but pretty dull with its dialogue.

Thoraxes

I was hoping you'd watch all of these together. It's based off a LN covering Dazai's past but ti's so integral to the show as a whole since it changes the perception of Dazai's character going forward and, no doubt, every action from the first cour. The final exchange between Dazai and Oda is the very essence of the second cour and you can see it reflected everywhere in it. Turns out Igarashi/Enokido could still be really good if they want to be. whoknew

I always believe in them!

blurr

Kumiko Euphonium S2 11

StUKWfk.png

This wasn't a bad arc if you overlook Kumiko's line(not that you should). Reina's shock, followed by her eventually coming to terms with the fact was actually really well done and compelling in that it was in line with her personality. Although this was in one sense, a shorter version of Mizore's problem. If anything this only stands out because Reina's personality portrays a different approach from Mizore. The only instance music gets involved was when she was not performing well due to her revelation; as quoted from Taki-sensei since I am no expert: "very very bad", this scene lasted about a minute I think.

I don't mind these character arcs on their own honestly but they either don't tie up well together or the music/concert theme does not feel integral to it.

Just google 'that pool' and find out ;P

LEWD

Syrinx

I was hoping you'd watch all of these together. It's based off a LN covering Dazai's past but ti's so integral to the show as a whole since it changes the perception of Dazai's character going forward and, no doubt, every action from the first cour. The final exchange between Dazai and Oda is the very essence of the second cour and you can see it reflected everywhere in it. Turns out Igarashi/Enokido could still be really good if they want to be. whoknew
Well Igarashi's gotta save magical girls again so that's good.

Narag

I would like to bring to your attention the latest article on Sakuga Blog, Part 1 of an article designed to clear up misunderstandings of what mainstream anime is. Particularly interesting is the inclusion of and analysis of DVR rankings for anime that people want to watch but not at whatever super-late time they air on TV. I did not realize how much reach Kabaneri had actually gotten.

Ace Attorney is a rather amusing instance, since the uninspired adaptation was panned for its production values on the internet and yet ended up performing rather well. The detail most people weren’t aware of is that it aired alongside Detective Conan’s daytime slot on ytv, which makes it way more likely to achieve success. Jojo Part 4 also stands out from the pack, especially when it comes to its recording rates. I don’t need to tell you about the franchise’s status as a pop culture icon, so that’s bound to happen if you make it air way too late for normal people to watch it. In the end it outperformed daytime shows despite its unfavorable situation, so I suppose all’s well that ends well and companies get to keep ignoring the broken TV anime system.

That was good.

I would like to bring to your attention the latest article on Sakuga Blog, Part 1 of an article designed to clear up misunderstandings of what mainstream anime is. Particularly interesting is the inclusion of and analysis of DVR rankings for anime that people want to watch but not at whatever super-late time they air on TV. I did not realize how much reach Kabaneri had actually gotten.

How many people have DVRs? Is jpn not experiencing the cable cutting issue like other countries?

Cornbread78

You don't?

Sexual activities in pools and water in general is highly overrated. I would recommend not carrying out these acts in water if possible.

Just look up and see what problems this can cause; it's highly overrated and potentially very "painful" for both.

yes, I'm speaking from experience as well...

phaze

Battery ~5-11 END

I don't get this show. I would at least like to say that the meat of it all, unusual character interactions make it worthwhile but I can't, not with ending certainly. And not with Takumi being a dick for the sake of it, not with that horrendous dream sequence, the poor marking of passage of time, the gargantuan amount of baseball centered melodrama and the resulting fists to the face and other bodily parts. I'm pretty sure that there was more of that than of the actual baseball.

On the ending stuff, the Gou-Takumi relationship fails to go anywhere interesting. On Gou's end it is apparently healed by some supremely silly realization while Takumi still doesn't give a damn ? I have to say I searched and failed to find any interpretation of that very end and that post-ED scene or rather sound effect. It makes me want to think the show is actively admitting Takumi's failure to change but I struggle to put faith into a script as shaky as this has been.

Girlish Number 8-12 END

Passable enough. I feel this would work better if Chitose (Kuzu too I guess) would start on her path of introspection and betterment earlier as I remember the middle episodes having little else but the tired comedy shtick of the two.

Doukkyuusei

Was quite decent. Suffers from its vignette nature and limited runtime, making its big moments not hit as hard as it should. But it's quite well directed, refreshingly grounded in its depiction of school life and teenagers and has this nice brand of comedy that while still exaggerated, slots nicely into the estabilished template of chara designs and rest.

Rogue One

Worse than anime.

Joe Molotov

Sexual activities in pools and water in general is highly overrated. I would recommend not carrying out these acts in water if possible.

Just look up and see what problems this can cause; it's highly overrated and potentially very "painful" for both.

3D is pig disgusting

TUSR

Banned

tMT9SkZ.png

Narag

Kuromukuro 14
so Efi Dorg is now Elfidolg. thx netflix subtitles.

Definitely feels like a midpoint episode as the new players and sudden reveals marks a turning point in how events are beginning to be tied together.

I freaking hate it whenever KEY is brought up in here now. It's become impossible for anybody to have a discussion about them in here because the people who hate their shows bring up the usual arguments; saying they're emotionally manipulative and lacking in the writing and character design departments.

All the while the people who love their shows just resort to saying: "Stop with the KEY hate", implying that KEY being criticized in any way or form in general is a bad thing.

It just goes back in forth in a never-ending circle and it's gotten to a point that whenever the name is brought up it just results in a bunch of people throwing shade and people asking those people to stop throwing shade that ends up leaving both sides with a sense of dissatisfied irritation.

KEY arguments in AnimeGAF are about as old and tired as the Harambe meme at this point and lord knows I'm gonna bust a vein if I see another person call me that when I play Winston in Overwatch again.

TrueBlue

Scum's Wish spoilers, only read if you're up to date with the manga:

So how far is the anime so fat. I see that the teacher reveal has just happened. Have Hanabi and Ecchan started their thing? What's Mugi up to? I wanna know where I'll be once I find time to jump in.

I freaking hate it whenever KEY is brought up in here now. It's become impossible for anybody to have a discussion about them in here because the people who hate their shows bring up the usual arguments; saying they're emotionally manipulative and lacking in the writing and character design departments.

All the while the people who love their shows just resort to saying: "Stop with the KEY hate", implying that KEY being criticized in any way or form in general is a bad thing.

It just goes back in forth in a never-ending circle and it's gotten to a point that whenever the name is brought up it just results in a bunch of people throwing shade and people asking those people to stop throwing shade that ends up leaving both sides with a sense of dissatisfied irritation.

KEY arguments in AnimeGAF are about as old and tired as the Harambe meme at this point and lord knows I'm gonna bust a vein if I see another person call me that when I play Winston in Overwatch again.

I was just kidding around as I am sure many others are with our little snips back and forth. But I am willing to have a real conversation about this...again. I can talk Clannad, Angel Beats, and Kanon all day. :)

I don't know what any of that means because I sorta don't see a particular formula with KEY shows except for there being a group of friends and something supernatural happening at some point.

Course I don't analyze most shows very hard unless I really like them.

Kenstar

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=K_rLRP709zU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom