• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

phaze

Konosuba 04
025189l8jng.jpg

That's one hell of a durable castle ...

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Blue Exorcist Season 2, Episode 4:

Well, at least we are making some forward progress, still not really giving a toss about the political intrigue here.

Ascheroth

Blue Exorcist Kyoto #4

Looks like things are starting to get rolling. Really liked the confrontation between Rin, Sugurou and his dad.

Active Raid S2 #4

I thought I'd start finishing up some leftovers that feel through my weekly watching for whatever reason.
Man, I forgot how fun this show is.
The Mythos and Kuroki scenes were great.

Rakugo S2 4

FGVvepL.jpg
KrtPUdd.jpg

dydtJwD.png

(send help)
nMONsQp.jpg

(she pauses a moment looking at the seat, she fidgets a bit with the feet before daring to seat)
p6SbLJn.jpg

(the instrument left alone, minutes before she said she was going to dedicate herself to it)

Nice episode, again. It was a very good, as always, with a careful direction, the type that isn't very flashy but it's consistently competent while being unobtrusive (in special from the bus to the end of the school part) and moving moment thanks to the proper character arcs they have done since the beginning.

In special this was a very comfy episode, with a cute charming kid, a cute Konatsu, and in general a slice of life atmosphere, almost if this was a SoL about a family of Rakugo performers.

Which is something I find very interesting, the contrast between the more drama-driven Season 1 and the more relaxed, mellow Season 2. It isn't a complaint, but praise, I think sometimes series can fall in the trap of trying to force consistency and it feels artificial (i.e. Koe no Katachi manga, which started fine with drama but in the second part it felt silly), here instead the characters paths has moved them away from their dramatic origins, the situation has changed, and therefore the tone of the story also changes. No sense in inserting some forced drama.

Funimation basically does three types of dubs. Big budget shows that get their full attention. Regular shows that don't. Then there are the cheap pervert shows that they pick up to make some extra coin and with these they usually go all out on making the dub as goofy as possible.

Up, and I love it when they intentionally ham it up. It's what makes Akiba's Trip dub so fun to watch.

Szadek

Tomorrow I get to watch Kizumonogatari I - III. In fact, I could watch them twice, but I think that's overkill.
The other movies on the Akiba Pass Festival I'm planning to watch are:

Garo - Divine Flame (never watched the series, but it's probably better than
Assassination Classroom: 356 Days ( This will hopefuly help me to figure if I should watch the rest of the series)
Sound! Euphonium - The Movie ( because why not?)
Fate/Grand Order - First Order (because I don't think I have another choice. Should be good enough for a nap at least)

Maybe some
expired
coupons for next time then ;P

Maybe, and because I'm stuck in fucking nowhere right now, my desire to return to Tokio grows with every day.

Also seeing the places in anime which I visited adds quite a lot to my anime enjoyment, I think I'm slowly getting the point of otaku tourism.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu: Sukeroku Futatabi-hen Episode 4:

Right then, a new episode and a new time skip as we advance about 4 or 5 years to having Shin being a kindergartner and one of the subplots that has been bubbling about is the battle of traditionalism vs modernity and a pretty keen insight into how even the traditions end up changing throughout he ages.

Tomorrow I get to watch Kizumonogatari I - III. In fact, I could watch them twice, but I think that's overkill.
The other movies on the Akiba Pass Festival I'm planning to watch are:

Garo - Divine Flame (never watched the series, but it's probably better than
Assassination Classroom: 356 Days ( This will hopefuly help me to figure if I should watch the rest of the series)
Sound! Euphonium - The Movie ( because why not?)
Fate/Grand Order - First Order (because I don't think I have another choice. Should be good enough for a nap at least)

Buy an In This Corner Of The World ticket.

Also enjoy the German Dub of the Hitagi Crab arc which is part of the Kizu screening.

Szadek

Buy an In This Corner Of The World ticket.

Also enjoy the German Dub of the Hitagi Crab arc which is part of the Kizu screening.
I want to go to the first screening of Kizu(I don't think Hitagi Crab is included,sadly), which probably means I can't watch In This Corner of the World.

On the plus side, I can avoid walking through a huge city past 12:00, which is generally a good idea.

Narag

Kuromukuro 15

I know this is centered around Japan given who made it and who its intended audience is but even with the heavy UN presence and Sophie's role representing the larger world, it's so weird to find out Las Vegas was decimated from a casual conversation from students. Of course that's my own Americentrism showing since it'd actually be quite a big deal to me.

Another small detail that I think this show manages well is how the Kuromukuro and GAUS units are limited resources that have to be treated as such even in the face of deployment as to lose any of them would put their side at a significant disadvantage.

Man today's Rakugo was so good I'm pretty sure it'll end up being my AOTY again. Though maybe there's a super amazing surprise down the road this year I just don't know about yet.

Oh wait Battle Girl High School is happening. Nevermind!
:p

The top 3 will be Mob, Jojo and Rakugo. With Mob winning first. I feel Erased, Re:Zero, Konosuba, Haikyu, Kiznaiver and My Hero Academia will be in the top 10.

Of course it's a guess, I just quickly looked through the pages.

So I'm going through Full Metal Panic again. Been years since I watched it. About halfway through The Second Raid. Enjoying it. There's one problem though, that I've always had with Full Metal Panic, but watching it again brings it back to me.

gauron_profile.jpg

Gauron straight up isn't a good villain. He's not interesting, or amusing, or even terribly threatening. He gets defeated time and time again, but just keeps surviving to the point of hilarity. (Nemesis got killed less than this guy!) His relationship with Sousuke doesn't bring much out of the latter. It's made all the more noticeable by the villain of the second series, Gates.

gates_fmp.jpg

Gates is hilarious. He is a villain who is aware he is in an anime, and just doesn't give a fuck. He is more threatening and amusing in his introductory episode than Gauron is in the entire first season.

Descending Stories 04

VLReU33.jpg
qgplDQu.jpg
wkx2W4G.jpg
eHmp5AS.jpg

Someone tell firehawk about this episode.

I said yesterday that it isn't fair to rate Rakugo with the rest of the season because nothing compares to it. Its one of those shows you get once every few years like Ping Pong or Bakemonogatari where it stands on its own tier. Rakugo is one of the shows that defines a 10/10 to me because of that. It manages to stand tall above the 9/10s.

This episode in particular was the best one of S2 yet. I like when Yakumo walks into the room you can feel the fun being sucked out immediately, how the rakugo performances incorporated the kids, how Yotaro and Konatu's relationship was shown. Lots of very careful and slight directing work that really makes a large difference.

Okay so the joke from Gintama Jugemu Jugemu Unko Nageki Ototoi no Shin-chan no Pantsu Shinpachi no Jinsei Balmunk Fezarion Isaac Schneider San Bun no Ichi no Junjou na Kanjou no Nokotta San Bun no Ni wa Sakamuke ga Kininaru Kanjou Uragiri wa Boku no Namae wo Shitteiru you de Shiranai no wo Boku wa Shitteiru Rusu Surume Medaka Kazunoko Koedame Medaka... Kono Medaka wa Sakki to Chigau Yatsu Dakara Ikeno Medaka no Hou Dakara Raa-yuu Yuuteimiyaouki Mukou Pepepepepepepepepepepepe Bichiguso Maru is based off this story. That's good to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom