• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Reminder that there's still time for people to watch Doukyuusei before AotY voting ends...

Quasar

I've been meaning to ask this for awhile, but are there any anime left out there that could possible "WOW" me at this (knowing what I like in my anime) point? I always wonder if I'm missing something that I should be watching? (Around 50 eps or less)

https://myanimelist.net/animelist/Cornbread78&status=1

(I know, I know. It's too much work to change now)

I don't know about wowing, but some of mine that aren't on yours would be:

Aku no Hana
ACCA 13
Aria
Amanchu
Baby Steps
Chihayafuru 2
Flying Witch
FMP 2-3
Fune wo Amu
Genshiken
Silver Spoon 2
Hanasaki Iroha
Hanamura Youchien
Inari KonKon Koi Iroha
When Supernatural Battles Became Commonplace
Koufuku Graffiti
Princess Jellyfish
Macross
Macross Plus
Macross Frontier
Minami-Ke
Moyashimon
Noragami
Persona 4/Golden
Princess Lover
Tari Tari
Tamayura
Tokyo Ravens
Yozakura Quartet

Shit thats a big list, and only a handful a titles we don't share.

Quasar

I can't say I'd blame anyone for that, though I'll probably keep watching.

At least Maidragon gets better as LWA gets worse.

Glad I am not noticing LWA getting worse. Still not getting Maiddragon though. Not that I find it bad...just totally middling.

phaze

If we're doing last moment pitches than let me note that Harmony was a thing, a movie even, one that aired this year, one that is eligible and one that you can still watch in the time left.

Thud

I've been meaning to ask this for awhile, but are there any anime left out there that could possible "WOW" me at this (knowing what I like in my anime) point? I always wonder if I'm missing something that I should be watching? (Around 50 eps or less)

https://myanimelist.net/animelist/Cornbread78&status=1

(I know, I know. It's too much work to change now)

Sexy Commando Gaiden.

Brilliant piece of work.

Paprika as well. Also you'r not gonna watch 60 shows, cut it down :p.

JulianImp

Mawaru Penguindrum - END
2sYRW.jpg
I'm glad the show didn't crash and burn on the final stretch. It was a great piece of character drama with really tight writing that tackled some seriously dark stuff head-on, albeit in a pretty abstract way at times (which is part of why I liked it, actually). It managed to catch me from episode one and only got better and better as time went on, and even though it did rely a lot on undisclosing vital information about the cast's past, it never felt forced and was often foreshadowed in some way or another (even if some of it was hard to understand), so I was okay with it. It's definitely going into my Top Anime list.

Also, the way the show used lewd imagery in ways that you can't help but find disgusting was really interesting (except for hatHimari, I guess). It did feel like a pessimist view on sexuality, but I guess I did find some novelty in that.

Yurikuma Arashi - #1-5
This, on the other hand, has been a much harder sell for me so far. While it does have the same elements of slowly explaining the cast's motivations to the audience and some interesting abstract elements, I guess the generic high school backdrop and the more alien setting of mankind walling itself off of a sudden outburst of sentient, man-eating, shape-shifting bears are making it a lot harder for me to stomach.

Then there's the gratuitious yuri fanservice all over the place, which sadly errs a lot more towards titillation compared to Penguindrum... and then the court stock footage we've been getting once per episode so far is infinitely less hype-inducing than hatHimari's.

Also, am I alone in thinking that cookie-cutter animal catchphrases get really grating after a while? I mean, cat-speak is okay-ish when they turn al their "ni"s into "nya"s (ie: Black Hanekawa), but simply adding "gao" at the end of every other sentence is vexing rather than cute.

KraytarJ

Yuri on Ice 11 & 12
Perhaps the best ending I saw to any anime last year. The Yuris came to play with each of them taking one of Victor's records, and then they finish 1-2. A season long build up to two pretty remarkable performances in both the short and free skate portions. Now I can't wait to see what S2 will bring.

With that my AOTY considerations are done, time to give my list a once over and finish it up.

Jex

Yurikuma Arashi definitely gets better as it goes along, but it never really escapes from the fact that it's trying to compress at least 26 episodes worth of story into 12.

Still, I can't support your catchphrase bashing - this series has some of the very best around!

JulianImp

You wa [kuma] shock.

I think my main issue with YuriKuma is that it tends to go back and forth between comedy and drama a lot more than Penguindrum, often using yuri fantasies in ways that are supposed to be funny or something.

What I meant with catchphrases was stuff like "gao" being spoken every other line. I'm okay with delicious smell and maybe even kuma shock (I actually always picture that one as the cast freezing in place for a second as if in a play while a chorus comes in to announce that things are about to get grisly).

I was hoping that the Little Witch Academia series would be better than the original short, which I did not much care for, so it's too bad to hear that most people are tepid at best towards it. I suppose Kiznaiver will remain the only Trigger series I like.

Yurikuma Arashi definitely gets better as it goes along, but it never really escapes from the fact that it's trying to compress at least 26 episodes worth of story into 12.

Still, I can't support your catchphrase bashing - this series has some of the very best around!

Yeah seriously Yuri Kuma has the best catchphrases in all of anime.

YURI APPROVED

Gao Gao~, dericious smerru~

Shabadadoo.

I won't give up on love!

I'll never forgive bears. I'll ruin bears!

SHOCK! KUMA SHOCK!

We hated you from the beginning... and we loved you from the beginning, too

Lulu is so clever!

NASTYYYYYYYY

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I'm not sure I'd even say YuriKuma has fully realized characters or coherent themes. It's kind of embarrassing to compare it to Ikuhara's other stuff.

NeonZ

Next episode continues to tie things with GT. So as much as folks want to pretend that isn't canon we now have
Bulma getting pregnant with her second child, presumably the blue haired daughter

Bra appeared in the last two chapters of the original manga. Her existing has nothing to do with GT.

Quasar

So I'm an Australian Prime Video subscriber and the show Onihei has suddenly lost its english subs. Anyway I was wondering if its the same for US Anime Strike people.

While they do say "derishasumeru" which would turn it into "deliciouSmell", I think that there's a "me", not a "mie".

Yeah, I just assumed the kana approximation was bad, like スレイ/Sorey (which was admittedly JP first, but was the first thing to come to mind).

JulianImp

Maybe this is just deep Ikuhara wordplay.

One of the reasons I kind of hate having to read stuff in katakana, and why I find it funny that the Japanese often learn foreign languages using katakana, which often is an ill-fitting approximation of the original pronounciation. For example, having them try to pronounce my name in Spanish is often a treat, because the "ju" is spelled kind of like the "hu" sound their sillabary lacks ("ha hi fu he ho"...笑).

But then again Japanese is pun heaven, with everything sounding like everything else. I kind of like it at times, but it sure makes for a rough time when learning the language since you need to train your brain into selecting the right meaning for what you hear.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Little Witch Academia Episode 4:

While it was nice to see Lotte finally get some characterization I was quite bored with the whole Not Twilight conceit.

Jex

[Little Witch Academia] - 4

To avoid sounding like a completely joyless automaton, I do have to say that there are some things I liked about this episode:

- Good faces, as always.
- Lotte did stuff.
- Lotte & Akko interacted in a manner which actually helped resolve the story.
- Some side characters got a little bit of characterisation.
- Akko continues to be a character with no moral compass. Last week she had no problem cheating to win, this week she steals food because she feels like it. I consider this a positive because at least it makes her a little different from all the other protagonists she resembles.

Meanwhile, there's a number of things that I am less than thrilled about:

- What purpose does Sucy serve again? Why is she involved in anything?

- Lotte is characterised but her characterisation is predicated entirely her around her otaku-ish love for a series of novels. People aren't solely defined by their interest in one particular hobby, so I hope we can see her new found personality applied more widely than this one case.

- Speaking more generally of Lotte's story this week - she doesn't have one. She starts and ends the episode in the exact same place. She has obstacles she has to overcome (getting out of school, finding Annabel and persuading her to write) but these are all ultimately in service of nothing. She is not changed by the conclusion, nor has she apparently learnt any lessons. We, as an audience, certainly know more about her, but that's about it.

- Now there's actually two stories going on in this episode which are intertwined - Lotte's and Annabel's. I didn't find anything particularly compelling about Annabel's story either because we spent so little time with her. We meet her, learn about her problem, and resolve it all within the space of about 2 minutes. Its extremely rushed and, as such, it doesn't really mean anything to us when Lotte helps resolve the issue - because we don't care.

- I understand that the theme of this episode was essentially "Love what you want to love, don't listen to people who tell you otherwise" but I can't say that the way the episode made that argument was particularly compelling. What's being defended in this episode is a literally endless series of increasingly trashy and hacky novels. I don't know if the show actually spends enough resources explaining why this particular method of escapism (or any escapism) is worthy of defence.

- A great deal of the background art in this episode was charmless.

- The whole "Twilight Parody" thing was rather awkwardly transparent.

Basically what I'm saying is - find a better writer. These concepts aren't that complicated. Even Mari Okada could implement them better.

jgminto

[Little Witch Academia] - 4

- Lotte is characterised but her characterisation is predicated entirely her around her otaku-ish love for a series of novels. People aren't solely defined by their interest in one particular hobby, so I hope we can see her new found personality applied more widely than this one case.
I see you never read Gaming side.

There are like 5 people in this thread watching Mawaru Penguindrum and Nintendoman ain't one.
0k4tkrdk2jig.png

I swear I'm going to get to it. I swear.

Things have just been really really depressing for me regarding certain...news this past two weeks and I haven't found much motivation to watch any new anime at all.

Quasar

Subs are on mine in america.

Guess you should contact amazon to let them know. Unless you have the subs option on off.

Naah, its like they were taken away. Episode 1 still has subs, Episode 2 lost them since I watched and episode 3 never had them.

But yeah I did contact support but they weren't very helpful. The QA on Prime Video seems rather crappy when it comes to anime. When it launched a bunch of shows would not play even though they were on the site (basically giving a file not found error) which took several weeks to fix and now this.

Dunno if this is all teething troubles of them expanding worldwide or that all they care about is that dopey car show.

EDIT: Amazon got back to me and said:

I'm glad that you let us know the issue with the language of some episode that you recently checked. It seems that the publisher who uploaded the video from the website wasn't able to successfully uploaded it.

So I guess I learnt something. I assumed we'd be playing the same files rather there being different files for different regions.

Yuri on Ice 11 & 12
Perhaps the best ending I saw to any anime last year. The Yuris came to play with each of them taking one of Victor's records, and then they finish 1-2. A season long build up to two pretty remarkable performances in both the short and free skate portions. Now I can't wait to see what S2 will bring.

With that my AOTY considerations are done, time to give my list a once over and finish it up.

I ended up really enjoying Yuri on Ice but I found all the JJ focus weakened the last couple of episodes for me.

- What purpose does Sucy serve again? Why is she involved in anything?

She was the most popular character from the OVAs so Trigger is gonna milk that cow. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom