• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.
After Yuri Kuma I lowered my expectations for Ikuhara drastically. I mean I enjoyed Utena but didn't love it and Yuri Kuma was straight up bad.

But Penguindrum, yummy! Sure catapulted itself to one of my favorites.

Good thing I saw Yuri Kuma beforehand or my disappointment in that would've been more severe.

edit:

By the way, was Ikuhara ever doing actual animation drawing or was he a director from the get go? And if it's the latter, how common is it for anime directors to not have drawn any animation themselves previously?

phaze

I'm glad you enjoyed it and that phaze was pushing it on people at one time. #phazewasright

saffsanxssg.gif

3-gatsu no Lion 15
I might be getting repetitive but I really want that OST inside my veins.

Sterok

Gabriel Dropout 4

Just rename this Angels Bully Satania. That's where most of the focus is and the closest this show gets to okay comedy.

JulianImp

Yuri Kuma is great, you all are wrong.

I mean sure single episodes of Utena are better then all of YKA, but Utena is so godlike that its expected

Dunno, I'm giving YuriKuma the benefit of the doubt until I'm done watching it, but it honestly doesn't get me on a binging mood unlike Penguindrum.

And no, Utena didn't make me feel like binging it, either. Got around to watching the first two episodes so far, and they were okay but pretty heavy with so many enigmatic things being introduced right away that things haven't managed to click for me yet.

Japanese Fans rank anime's most hot blooded mecha anime.

All right! A list for me! Let's see what we've got here...

10. Eureka Seven
9. Gunbuster - Good
8, Majestic Prince
7. Evangelion
6. Macross Frontier
5. Aldonoah Zero
4. The King of Braves GaoGaiGar
3. Code Geass
2. Gurren Lagann
1. Fafner

WTF at Fafner being number one.

WTF at Aldonoah Zero being on this list at all.

WTF at not a single show by Yasuhiro Imagawa showing up on this list at all.

Where's Getter Robo Armageddon? Shin Mazinger Z? JAPAAAAAN!

SIGH. At least people didn't forget about GaoGaiGar.

Taruranto

Yuri Kuma is great, you all are wrong.

I mean sure single episodes of Utena are better then all of YKA, but Utena is so godlike that its expected

My problem with YKA is that I had no reason to care about Ginko's obsession with Kureha until the last episode (or so). I recall it just looking like a weird, one-side obsession for most of the series.

I remember feeling like Kureha's friendship with Lulu was more believable and developed.

Good god...

Why would anyone ever mention Aldnoah.zero anywhere?????

Pretty good list! These Japanese have good taste!

By the way, was Ikuhara ever doing actual animation drawing or was he a director from the get go? And if it's the latter, how common is it for anime directors to not have drawn any animation themselves previously?

It's a very viable career path to work up to directing anime from starting out on the production side as a production assistant or doing episode direction instead of starting as an animator. Isao Takahata famously cannot draw at all, so he gets someone else to draw storyboards for his films following his instructions. That's an unusual case, but there are many directors who aren't animators themselves. Ikuhara himself started at Toei as an assistant episode director on Maple Town Stories and then was promoted to series director for Sailor Moon.

It's pretty unusual as I understand it but it happens. Kenji Nakamura is one.

It just seems really impressive to direct what some consider anime masterpieces without being an animator himself before becoming a director. Obviously it's not required but usually people who did that sort of 'grunt work' for a time know best how to utilize it all. Though he did study graphic design and what would I know about how involved and in the know of all things animation etc. he really was.

Yeah, this will not end well. At all.

Never sounded like my thing but still might just want to check it out at least. No loss if it ain't my thing. Since I've seen some of you praise the direction of it here and there, does it start strongly in that regard?

Dunno, I'm giving YuriKuma the benefit of the doubt until I'm done watching it, but it honestly doesn't get me on a binging mood unlike Penguindrum.

And no, Utena didn't make me feel like binging it, either. Got around to watching the first two episodes so far, and they were okay but pretty heavy with so many enigmatic things being introduced right away that things haven't managed to click for me yet.

Unlike Utena and Yuri Kuma on a whole other level, MaPe had enough of a story and comparatively normal characters that I could enjoy at face value instead of for its abstraction and metaphoric value. That's the only way I will find myself caring about the themes and deeper meanings anyways. Yuri Kuma felt like directly watching an analogy instead of one that's somewhat coherently embedded within an actual story.

e:

I can't find anything that says he did any key animation on anything. This recent Ikuhara feature on Crunchyroll says he got his start storyboarding and training under more experienced directors.

It's a very viable career path to work up to directing anime from starting out on the production side as a production assistant or doing episode direction instead of starting as an animator. Isao Takahata famously cannot draw at all, so he gets someone else to draw storyboards for his films following his instructions. That's an unusual case, but there are many directors who aren't animators themselves. Ikuhara himself started at Toei as an assistant episode director on Maple Town Stories and then was promoted to series director for Sailor Moon.

Aye, thanks for the info.

Using a picture of E7AO for E7...crunchyroll????

Fafner being on the list is surprising. There are moments of hot-bloodedness, for sure, but I wouldn't put it on the forefront. Goubain strong, I guess.

I'm pleased with Majestic Prince being on the list though. No doubt the recent movie gave it a boost.

JulianImp

Unlike Utena and Yuri Kuma on a whole other level, MaPe had enough of a story and comparatively normal characters that I could enjoy at face value instead of for its abstraction and metaphoric value. That's the only way I will find myself caring about the themes and deeper meanings anyways. Yuri Kuma felt like directly watching an analogy instead of one that's somewhat coherently embedded within an actual story.

Penguindrum was also fairly obvious about what most of its relevant metaphors meant, and most of which were even foreshadowed in the first OP. Even abstract concepts such as the child broiler made sense, but I did fail to understand what 95 actually meant until I looked it up (it probably made more sense for people who had actually lived in Japan).

If Utena and YuriKuma are a lot more abstract and metaphorical, would that make Penguindrum the director's equivalent of Lynch's Twin Peaks?

Firemind

Nope, it was hilarious from start to finish and really imaginative... I just didn't forward the plot ftom what I could tell. The episode was good though, lol.
it's one of the best standalone episodes in all of anime

like, if there were people totally new to anime, i'd show them this

Penguindrum 09

ba259e02e33daef1ae7c1eed38d91ec3.jpg

If Utena and YuriKuma are a lot more abstract and metaphorical, would that make Penguindrum the director's equivalent of Lynch's Twin Peaks?

I hope not because boy Twin Peaks has a lot of straight up terrible plot lines in it!

But I guess if Utena is Mulholland Drive...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom