• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew J.

Little Witch Academia 04

Yes. This is exactly the kind of episode I was hoping for from this series, one that fleshes out a side character and does some nice worldbuilding. Like the gag about all the ridiculous stuff in Night Fall, too.

JulianImp

I hope not because boy Twin Peaks has a lot of straight up terrible plot lines in it!

But I guess if Utena is Mulholland Drive...

Guess I should've been more specific. I meant it as in "strange and unique, but more far more approachable still nowhere near as cryptic as the author's other works".

I'll see for myself once I'm done watching both Utena and YuriKuma.

Gundam Iron Blooded Orphans 39

Raising death flag's for
Naze and Amida
and raising love flags for
Lafter and Akihiro

Also the new OP and ED is a complete step down from Rage of Dust and Shounen no Hate

Guess I should've been more specific. I meant it as in "strange and unique, but more far more approachable still nowhere near as cryptic as the author's other works".

I'll see for myself once I'm done watching both Utena and YuriKuma.

I wouldn't really consider Yurikuma to be much more cryptic than Penguindrum. If anything, I think it wears its themes on its sleeve even more so than Penguindrum did.

The Vision of EscaFlowne Episode 1
C3dRUMtXAAAujGl.jpg:small
C3dSIsGWAAAIZlH.jpg:small

Glad the cheesy school romance stuff is over, wasnt exciting or interesting, especially since the love interest wasnt even that attractive.

Immediately got exciting once Van took the stage, and voiced by my favorite funi VA in recent times, made it better than ever. Van is really cool. I hope he stays the lead, seemed questionable considering how he didnt seem like a love interest in the ED...kind of worrying.

Cornbread78

Penguindrum ep.9
So Himari had a tough time with friends a few years ago and was in a weird library? WTF was that episode there for and who is the creeper? Weird placemeny after what happened at the end of 8..

Gundam Iron Blooded Orphans 40

So it'd bad enough Iok is a righteous idiot, he's also an unlikeable asshole.
ignoring Naze's attempts to surrender unconditionally, using illegal railguns to attack the Hammerhead and its retreating escape shuttles, even when Julieta is in the way of the attack.
It's almost like you want to be the hatesink in IBO.

Oh and
Lafter is probably gonna die soon enough.
Guess I shouldn't be surprised when that happens.

Penguindrum ep.9

So Himari had a tough time with friends a few years ago and was in a weird library? WTF was that episode there for and who is the creeper? Weird placemeny after what happened at the end of 8..

It's pretty much an essential episode for understanding everything that will happen.

As for why its placed there after the end of Episode 8? Welcome to Ikuhara.

duckroll

胸が熱くなる is emotional. Hot blooded would be 熱血 or more simply 燃える. Crunchyroll needs to step up their game.

JulianImp

I wouldn't really consider Yurikuma to be much more cryptic than Penguindrum. If anything, I think it wears its themes on its sleeve even more so than Penguindrum did.

I'd agree based on what I've seen of YuriKuma so far (up to ep7), but I wasn't going to jump to conclusions being only halfway through the show.

One thing I really like from the director's shows is how title cards are always shown at the end of an episode. Having them there is much more organic than showing the title at the start of an episode, since titles themselves are often pretty likely to spoil you on whatever's going to happen. Say, even though it was for only one episode, TTGL managed to use that to great effect.

胸が熱くなる is emotional. Hot blooded would be 熱血 or more simply 燃える. Crunchyroll needs to step up their game.

Haha... fail. For a change, the chest isn't where it's at.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Really weird seeing this pop up on a random Australia show I'm watching on Netflix because TV shows usually hide TV screens or just create fake TV for the characters to watch:
0Di4526l.png

I'm guessing someone just asked for something random though, since it's credited as "Anime footage" lol:
lploM5Ml.png

Kenstar

Really weird seeing this pop up on a random Australia show I'm watching on Netflix because TV shows usually hide TV screens or just create fake TV for the characters to watch:
0Di4526l.png

I'm guessing someone just asked for something random though, since it's credited as "Anime footage" lol:
lploM5Ml.png

eugh that TN off center color warping
Cheap IPS for life

Cornbread78

Penguindrum ep.10
I really wanted a picture of the penquin fishing for panties out tge window, or those naughty acts to the nurses, lol. This was amother weird one, but we now have a common thread
dammit alien hat/Himari
between the two missions. Do what is REALLY going on now? Sonething has to come up next episode.

Narag

I've been meaning to ask this for awhile, but are there any anime left out there that could possible "WOW" me at this (knowing what I like in my anime) point? I always wonder if I'm missing something that I should be watching? (Around 50 eps or less)

https://myanimelist.net/animelist/Cornbread78&status=1

(I know, I know. It's too much work to change now)

Ok finally home and i know you love romance and being surprised so here you go.

Kuttsukiboshi
Boku wa Imouto ni Koi wo Suru

Gundam Iron Blooded Orphans 41

I don't know what N2H4Y was talking about, this seems like just another breather episode and nothing has happened to La-

Lafter gets killed

Well, never fucking mind, then.

Made my AOTY post

Didn't get to watch most of what I wanted to check out, so I couldn't make a full list of 10. But I did want to highlight the shows that I really did enjoy from 2016.

They probably laid off everyone who could have properly handled that.

sonicmj1

I've been meaning to ask this for awhile, but are there any anime left out there that could possible "WOW" me at this (knowing what I like in my anime) point? I always wonder if I'm missing something that I should be watching? (Around 50 eps or less)

https://myanimelist.net/animelist/Cornbread78&status=1

(I know, I know. It's too much work to change now)

Things I think are incredible:
Ping Pong
Aku no Hana
The Tale of Princess Kaguya
Millennium Actress
FLCL

Things I think you'll like that I also like:
Full Metal Panic (+ Fumoffu + Second Raid)
Mobile Suit Gundam 08th MS Team
Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket
Baccano

Things I don't like that you might like:
Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works
Kara no Kyoukai

Things that you should do:
Learn to use numbers below 6 on your grading scale

Bungo Stray Dogs 22

The meta-mystery was silly, but entertainingly so. I liked the development it gave to Rampo's character by dealing with his insecurity about whether he's actually gifted or not. Now that we're in full finale mode, I wonder if the last two episodes will deal any with the Guild's backstory after Herman alluding to the organization having deteriorated over time, not to mention elaborate any more on the nature of the book Francis is after.

DAI-GUARD Episode 6

I hope the army's Dai guard is worst than this Dai Guard, no one can pilot a Dai Guard better than the original 3.

This weeks Heterodyne had a great ability, hope we get even more creative in the future.

duckroll

Things that you should do:
Learn to use numbers below 6 on your grading scale

I just had a thought. When it comes to TV series, do you think that if a person's 10 point score is lower than the number of episodes in that series the person watched, that it is evidence said person is not making good use of free time? Deep thoughts.

ibyea

Banned
Bungo Stray Dogs 22

The meta-mystery was silly, but entertainingly so. I liked the development it gave to Rampo's character by dealing with his insecurity about whether he's actually gifted or not. Now that we're in full finale mode, I wonder if the last two episodes will deal any with the Guild's backstory after Herman alluding to the organization having deteriorated over time, not to mention elaborate any more on the nature of the book Francis is after.

A shame they didn't go with gothic horror Poe though. But I guess they already have like two horror characters in the show.

Cornbread78

Gargantia ep.2
9jKUeMm.jpg

The music in this show is excellent. It's also a really pretty show to look at! It took awhile to ramp up, but that display of technology, firepower and precision was exactlyvwhat I loved about the battles in Gate; utter domminance.

Netflix's A Series of Unfortunate Events

Fantastic/10

Brought memories of my childhood. I devoured this series. Until the unfortunate event happened: my little village never got the sequels (I stopped reading at The Miserable Mill, I think in my country it was called Lugar Tenebroso). I was pretty upset back then, but I am glad that Netflix is letting me see the rest of the story. Surprisingly enough, I remembered a lot of the plot of the first 3 books, even though I read them 15-16 years ago.

Looking for some horror recs.

I love Shiki, Another, Hellsing and really enjoyed Ghost Hunt.

That is probably the extent of horror that I have seen. I would prefer more modern ones!

A shame they didn't go with gothic horror Poe though. But I guess they already have like two horror characters in the show.

The real Poe is perhaps most well known for his dark horror stories, but he also wrote some of the earliest detective stories. He pretty much founded the genre of detective fiction in the form that would later become common through the work of Conan Doyle and others. So this fictional version of him is highly appropriate in that sense.

trejo

Looking for some horror recs.

I love Shiki, Another, Hellsing and really enjoyed Ghost Hunt.

That is probably the extent of horror that I have seen. I would prefer more modern ones!

For modern I recommend Yami Shibai and the first season of Kagewani.

For old-school I recommend Vampire Princess Miyu TV.

And although not strictly speaking horror, Mononoke does have some horror-ish elements but you should watch it anyway because it's fucking amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom