• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

If this is true, the spin by the diehards is going to be something else.

nothing different from all the rapey $hit in white man's TV/movies. What makes anime any different as a possible depiction of it happening? It will probably be "forced drama" or a way to "up the odds" but it the same everywhere really. I mean, even The Last of Us, which is one of the best games ever made, had a rapey scene in it....

Now, if they start getting into some dark edgy $hit with Silica or something like that, then there will be no damn excuses.....

It's never acceptable but it happens all the time in all kinds of media

Cornbread78

The quotation marks around acceptable speak louder than anything else in your post.

Because what is not acceptable to you and me, may be acceptable to someone else. "Acceptable" as a word is very subjective in nature, unless it is attached to a specific law/rule. Is there a law and/or rule that prevents the depiction of rape from media? Of course not, but the sick and sad truth is that it happens in real life all the time. It's a deplorable act, but I cannot speak for someone else on what their "acceptable" tolerances for it are in their media.

Narag

Because what is not acceptable to you and me, may be acceptable to someone else. "Acceptable" as a word is very subjective in nature, unless it is attached to a specific law/rule. Is there a law and/or rule that prevents the depiction of rape from media? Of course not, but the sick and sad truth is that it happens in real life all the time. It's a deplorable act, but I cannot speak for someone else on what their "acceptable" tolerances for it are in their media.

I think your hedging any sort of condemnation of it in this particular work is unfortunately telling as it's typically tied to the lazy trope of a woman overcoming violation to demonstrate "character growth " I wouldn't be surprised if it happens here again. Would you really be going up to bat on the matter were it not tied to SAO? I like to think better of you and believe you'd willingly call it out in another work without resorting to rationalizing it away as a matter of day to day life.

I think we are going to keep going in circles here if we point out everything that is bad in media. The way Corn phrased it isn't good, but the nitpicking isn't doing this matter any favours. Deplorable acts are used as storytelling devices (death, betrayal, violence) and none of them are right, we all know that. I'm sure Corn does too, and you are right Narag, but I think calling out what he said once was enough. No reason to go on a full blown discussion over this. We know Corn, he is a family man, more than anyone I believe he is on the right side of the matter in terms of his beliefs, and his post was bad phrasing.

New Game! 06

Zyw4Fq6.jpg

Thoraxes shock!

Weird popcorn flavors and buying pamphlets. Yup, it's watching movies in Japan :p

Clov

Isn't the issue with SAO in particular how it frames sexual assault and rape in a voyeuristic, male gaze like way? I always thought what made it so awful was how it was depicting it as something titillating for the audience. Not that SAO is the only anime or media to do this, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be condemned for it. In my opinion, if you're going to include scenes like that at all they should be traumatizing and disturbing, not some cheap fanservice for an audience of creeps.

Kenstar

I don't think Corn's on the wrong side
I don't think Narag thinks Corn is a rape apologist

LTTP: Tesagure! Bukatsumono 1-5(/12)
I love these seiyuu shooting the shit about random takes on club activities
It feels like a radio show that was animated afterwards to match the voices, with chairs sliding as people get up to be dramatic, people bumping their legs, laughing and talking over each other

The ED is an evolving ending where in ep 1 they have no choreography and are awkwardly standing around to ep 5 where one girl has tried to make some half assed choreography and the rest are poorly imitating her after a couple eps worth of attempts

blurr

New Game! 02

Wow, from not knowing anything to 3d character modeller in 1 week. That Maya book must have been good :p

Ah, finally starting New Game - why didn't you watch it earlier!

Dennou Coil ep.12

Lol. This felt like s filler episode, but it was pretty damn funny with the interplanetary war, lol. Don't worry Daichi, manhood will come eventually.

This was my favorite episode, portrayed a very amusing aspect of the world of Dennou Coil with charm and depth.

Penguindrum ep.9

So Himari had a tough time with friends a few years ago and was in a weird library? WTF was that episode there for and who is the creeper? Weird placemeny after what happened at the end of 8..

This was the Noboyuki Takeuchi episode IIRC - one of the more fascinating points of the show.

Mob Psycho 100 Episode 9

Its stunning how much better this series has gotten since the mediocre first 4eps

I really felt MP100 stands out the most as a full on display of power and action than a message oriented show which often comes off as condescending than profound (I see this style a lot in regional films where I live, I am not a fan of it beyond a point). It was what turned me off from it.

Thud

Isn't the issue with SAO in particular how it frames sexual assault and rape in a voyeuristic, male gaze like way? I always thought what made it so awful was how it was depicting it as something titillating for the audience. Not that SAO is the only anime or media to do this, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be condemned for it. In my opinion, if you're going to include scenes like that at all they should be traumatizing and disturbing, not some cheap fanservice for an audience of creeps.

Exactly my thoughts.

Narag

I think we are going to keep going in circles here if we point out everything that is bad in media. The way Corn phrased it isn't good, but the nitpicking isn't doing this matter any favours. Deplorable acts are used as storytelling devices (death, betrayal, violence) and none of them are right, we all know that. I'm sure Corn does too, and you are right Narag, but I think calling out what he said once was enough. No reason to go on a full blown discussion over this. We know Corn, he is a family man, more than anyone I believe he is on the right side of the matter in terms of his beliefs, and his post was bad phrasing.

And I feel if you want me to see him as a grown man with a family then I'd like for him to respond as a grown man without an intermediary interceding on his behalf. I made it clear I thought the phrasing was bad then he doubled down with the notion of whose to say rape in media is acceptable or not. I'm not even mad but if it's as bad as people say he's going to be asked the same sort of thing in the future by people far less charitable than I about a work far less important than the those that'usually invokes this discussion like Honneamise is apt to do.

Narag

I don't think Corn's on the wrong side
I don't think Narag thinks Corn is a rape apologist

I think he's an SAO apologist more than anything. This line of discussion started with me making an offhand comment about it being spun by the fandom then proceeded to be just that.

Cornbread78

Sorry working and typing isn't always a quick response, lol

I think your hedging any sort of condemnation of it in this particular work is unfortunately telling as it's typically tied to the lazy trope of a woman overcoming violation to demonstrate "character growth " I wouldn't be surprised if it happens here again. Would you really be going up to bat on the matter were it not tied to SAO? I like to think better of you and believe you'd willingly call it out in another work without resorting to rationalizing it away as a matter of day to day life.

Wouldn't "rationalize" it at all within a specific show, regardless of my affinity for said show. Why would I? Isn't there a better way to make a female character stronger outside of rape? But, like you said, it's a tired trope that will not go away anytime soon.

With that being said, I am able to compartmentalize it's existence and understand that it happens in media frequently, regardless of my dislike for it being there. Look at everyone's darling in Game of Thrones and Walking Dead; how many rape and/or attempted rape scenes have there been in those shows to this point? It's been part of the major media in TV and movies forever now; often just to invoke an emotional response from viewers or as you mentioned used as a device for character growth. We don't have to like it or want it, but it's still present in media today and will continue to be there for a long while....

The stuff that's going to be in season 3 is really cringeworthy. Just awful.
Knowing what happens post-Mother's Rosario, I'm not sure if Cornbread is even going to enjoy SAO season 3.

This stuff makes me really nervous.....

That's always been my issue.

Narag

Sorry working and typing isn't always a quick response, lol

Wouldn't "rationalize" it at all within a specific show, regardless of my affinity for said show. Why would I? Isn't there a better way to make a female character stronger outside of rape? But, like you said, it's a tired trope that will not go away anytime soon.

With that being said, I am able to compartmentalize it's existence and understand that it happens in media frequently, regardless of my dislike for it being there. Look at everyone's darling in Game of Thrones and Walking Dead; how many rape and/or attempted rape scenes have there been in those shows to this point? It's been part of the major media in TV and movies forever now; often just to invoke an emotional response from viewers or as you mentioned used as a device for character growth. We don't have to like it or want it, but it's still present in media today and will continue to be there for a long while....

Good answer.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Lol. Idk how you can be an SAO apologist. The show is actually bad. Wel... maybe not terrible. But is is not high quality for sure. It's no fate zero.

blurr

Tonkatsu DJ Agetarou 11-12 END

The show is a really amusing take on DJ-ing, not that there are many shows that touch the theme in the first place. I really like the characters Agetarou meets through out the show, good personality to them.

If nothing else, the music is fantastic.

Tonkatsu DJ Agetarou 11-12 END

The show is a really amusing take on DJ-ing, not that there are many shows that touch the theme in the first place. I really like the characters Agetarou meets through out the show, good personality to them.

If nothing else, the music is fantastic.
All of the song.

Still my biggest disappointment. A show about music and they couldn't get more songs.

Line_HTX

Speaking of which, Mike, are you going to take pics of the real life locations of New Game? I'm sure you have a convenient stay near Eagle Jump.

phaze

Never sounded like my thing but still might just want to check it out at least. No loss if it ain't my thing. Since I've seen some of you praise the direction of it here and there, does it start strongly in that regard?

The very highs are elsewhere but the storyboarding is pretty strong all the way through if you ask me. Since you liked Ouran you might also enjoy the humour and the Igarashi faces.

I give you 5 eps tops.

Penguindrum 09

]https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/ba/25/9e/ba259e02e33daef1ae7c1eed38d91ec3.jpg[

I don't get your silly wrestling references. Explain !

zulux21

Why would they have an SAO will return message at a screener?

Will this be debunked just like the last time someone posted an s3 SAO announced earlier in January?

not sure, but either way there is little doubt a season 3 would be coming.

the next arc (Which is huge) is fully out.
and the series is a hot IP that sells a ton of everything.

it's not a matter of if there will be a season 3 but when.

Lol. Idk how you can be an SAO apologist. The show is actually bad. Wel... maybe not terrible. But is is not high quality for sure. It's no fate zero.

the first 40 minutes of SAO is way way way way way better than fate zero.

I have seen the first 40 minutes of fate zero 3 times and I still don't know what the hell they are saying as i zone out after like 3 minutes of the constant data dumping lol.

I should finish fate zero someday... I have gotten to like episode 6 multiple times but then just stop because I get distracted by other things lol.

Line_HTX

they get it right (mostly) but it is ultimately light hearted compared to reality

Have you despaired while testing before? How stressful was it?

It's Triple H. One of the most famous wrestlers of all time. Their group is called Triple H. Thats copyrighted!
The girl band that sings several of the EDs is called Triple HHH.

Triple HHH.

Get it?

Oh, that makes a whole lot of sense now, haha

Cornbread78

Gargantia ep.4
PSeaHIg.jpg

The action scenes are really well done in this show so far with an outstanding OST in the background. It's unfortunate that the "Pirate Captain" has
she-slaves to go along with her over-the-top bas-ass woman attitude.
WTF was that? I did get a big kick out of the "Surrender, Surrender, surrender" repeatedly with the
ship suddenly breaking and going flying through the air. I can't wait for that miserable piece of pirate crap to come back and try that act again...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom