• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.
ACCA 04

The weakest episode so far. You cannot believe that was a real rebellion. You cannot believe no one seems to have been killed? You also cannot believe everyone goes in the end to their home, as it nothing had happened, and with any real effort from MC to convince the noble. More or less the same with believing Otus personality. It's one thing having a nonchalant style in his personality, and another to be in the brink of death a pair of times and still have a sleepy face as if nothing it's happening worth mentioning.
It's also a episode which stops the 'big plot' focused on Otus in exchange of a episodic standalone story that's pretty worthless at its own.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
His only post in the thread.

Yay or nay on couting it? I'm leaning towards nay..

This is why you should have rules on how votes are composed. Sure it's mean to discount votes for petty reasons, but it sure avoids umming and erring over whether you should count a vote or not.

Szadek

Guys, it's obvious between Konosuba and Rakugo Shinjuu, that it's actually Studio Deen that is currently saving anime.
But they also made Ao Oni The Animation and Hatsukoi Monster, both of them are awful.

Also Konosuba sucks

Also also Sakamoto desu ga? was pretty good.

KraytarJ

But they also made Ao Oni The Animation and Hatsukoi Monster, both of them are awful.

Also Konosuba sucks

Also also Sakamoto desu ga? was pretty good.
In what world is Konosuba bad but Sakomoto is good? Sure Konosuba can go overboard on the lewdness but Sakamoto is just too long to be what it is, should've been a short.

Ascheroth

Konosuba #4

Yet another great episode. It's been a long time since I've been laughing this much while watching an anime.
X4J1Y2W.jpg
K09t95a.jpg
nhhaxQR.jpg

KraytarJ

Konosuba 2-4
Who could have thought that an episode without Megumin could have been so damn good. Every part of the episode just worked, might be my favourite episode yet.

Well, in my world. I just think that Konosuba is very unfunny.
I used to be like you too, well not the Sakomoto part. Just know that if you dropped it early like I originally did it gets better.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
In what world is Konosuba bad but Sakomoto is good? Sure Konosuba can go overboard on the lewdness but Sakamoto is just too long to be what it is, should've been a short.

Agreed, Konosuba along with Nozaki are the best recent comedic series in a long while.

Szadek

I used to be like you too, well not the Sakomoto part. Just know that if you dropped it early like I originally did it gets better.
I watched the first episode when it come out and hated it.
At the end of the season I gave the show another shot since everyone loved it and watched episode 2.
I liked a little bit more, but not enough to keep watching.

trejo

Sakamoto would've probably worked with, at the most, a 10 minute runtime. As it stands though it's just too much of a slog per episode to elicit any kind of intended reaction.

States someone who bailed after the very first episode.

Sakamoto would've probably worked with, at the most, a 10 minute runtime. As it stands though it's just too much of a slog per episode to elicit any kind of intended reaction.

I feel like Saiki K ended up being the show that Sakamoto should've been. IMHO, it was up there with Konosuba as being the funniest show last year.

Man, I love this show. The depravity of each of the main cast members continues to make this standout among other comedic anime. Kazuma is such a fun character to follow and each of his interactions with Aqua, Megumin, and Darkness are unique and lead to a different laugh.

StayDead

Might as well remove me from the list. Now my stupid government has voted for Brexit I'm not very hopeful I'll have the money at that time to even consider going away :(

I was sure the Gintama Dub was supposed to be part of the CR/Funi deal, but I would guess not since they just released the dub only on CR.

Guessing Berserk, Twin star and Phantom World will get a similar kind of release since they were announced at the same time.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-981505/gintama-3-dub-comes-to-crunchyroll

Interesting. And it looks like it's getting dubbed by Ocean Dub DBZ/Black Lagoon Alums.

Exactly my thoughts.

I already miss Saiki.

Wen Season 2?

In all honestly, I'm kind of stunned at what Maid Dragon is doing. It's keeping this comedic goofy tone while still grounding its characters in some form of reality.

When I saw the PV and the first episode I expected just a bunch of yuri antics with some crazy good animation, a lot of over-the-top characters screaming, and lewdness all over the place.

Instead KyoAni is making an effort to not make the scenario of the show a total joke, which you'd think would be very easy to do given the premise. While some of the above is still there, it's done in balance with some slower moments of just mundane real-life stuff.

I can't really say anything other than the fact that it works.

Cornbread78

Konosuba S2 ep.4
Holy shit Kazuma/Darkness, I can't stop laughing at you idiots. Make it stop.... please make it stop! Lolololol

Twin Star Exorcists ep.42
Damn, fuck
Yuta
I hate that OP bastard. With that being said, how the hell is
Arima still ALIVE! Underpants man!
Good episode as the story starts to get closer to the finish line

I was sure the Gintama Dub was supposed to be part of the CR/Funi deal, but I would guess not since they just released the dub only on CR.

Guessing Berserk, Twin star and Phantom World will get a similar kind of release since they were announced at the same time.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-981505/gintama-3-dub-comes-to-crunchyroll

Looking back, Funimation said they might not get all of the titles Crunchyroll initially announced. Gintama may be one of them.

Crunchyroll had announced at Anime Expo in July that it will start dubbing and releasing some of its anime series on Blu-ray Disc and DVD. In addition to Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress, Crunchyroll announced plans to release Berserk (new series), Twin Star Exorcists, Free! - Iwatobi Swim Club, Yamada-kun and the Seven Witches, Myriad Colors Phantom World, Big Order, and Gintama on home video with English dubs. According to Funimation, Crunchyroll began the production process on these titles, and Funimation is reviewing the titles based on licensor approval and its own production and release schedule, but the titles have not yet been officially confirmed as part of the partnership.

Narag

IIRC there were a couple eps broken down into two or three different shorts and it indeed was for the better

Kickz

Mob Psycho 100 Eps 10-12 [FINAL]

This ended up being HunterxHunter levels of quality, just amazing battles and story in the latter half of the season. Only question left is when the heck is season 2???

Jarmel

Banned
Konosuba S2-4

That father's simple "oh" had me dead.

Wow I'm kind of impressed that this was a Darkness-centered episode and it was this strong.

WAIT! I just saw MHA season 2 will start on the 25th of March! YO! That's cool! less time waiting!! Also it might mean 1 more episode?! YO!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
It's pretty cool that the OT adapts to the season's best shows. Even if Scum's Wish is MIA.

Until someone comes along and judges the whole thread based on the opening posts but people confuse it with the original version when explaining it to said person…………………………………

Moaradin

WAIT! I just saw MHA season 2 will start on the 25th of March! YO! That's cool! less time waiting!! Also it might mean 1 more episode?! YO!

I hope season 2 convinces some of the nonbelievers that MHA is legit. The material it's covering is certainly good enough. Let's hope Bones knocks it out of the park.

Narag

I hope season 2 convinces some of the nonbelievers that MHA is legit. The material it's covering is certainly good enough. Let's hope Bones knocks it out of the park.

I don't think people doubted the source material so much how it was adapted.

Same here! I'm still searching for a series(manga/anime) that gets me so hyped up and happy! In studio Bones I trust.

Bingo.

I'm not gonna beat a broken record since I've made it known like 30 dozen times that I thought the adaptation was REALLY bad, but I adore the manga and thought the anime was middling to poor because of how awfully it was adapted.

I'm being hopeful with Season 2 but we'll see. If they don't fix the pacing, timing of the humor and comedic scenes or quit it with 1000 flashbacks that are to events that happened 2 minutes prior and take up half the episode, it's gonna sink just as bad. Might have some nice sakuga tho.

Maybe they will have a better pace then 1.66 chapters per episode average this time....and actually make the important shots look how we expect instead of underwhelming.

Moaradin

Yeah, but the first season doesn't really cover the great stuff in the manga either. It's all introduction stuff. This season is when it actually kicks it into gear.

I know the pacing was a major problem for some. That should definitely be a lot better in this season if they're adapting everything they seem to be adapting in the same amount of episodes.

Yeah, but the first season doesn't really cover the great stuff in the manga either. It's all introduction stuff. This season is when it actually kicks it into gear.

I know the pacing was a major problem for some. That should definitely be a lot better in this season if they're adapting everything they seem to be adapting in the same amount of episodes.

Since season 2 of MHA is airing on the Saturday 5:30 PM pre-Conan timeslot, it'll most likely be 2 cour instead of season 1's 1 cour.

Jarmel

Banned
Kobayashi MD-4

I guess there are two ways of looking at the show. One is that of a comedy and the other is that of a surreal slice of life sort of work. I don't think it's a good comedy. The jokes themselves aren't particularly funny nor are they set up or delivered in a relatively interesting fashion. Konosuba is an example of a better executed comedy in that the editing and overall direction is sharper in regards to elements like comedic timing. Certain premise aspects and moments remind me of Fumoffu but I don't think they go far enough with it to really be entertaining. That's part of the thing with the dodgeball sequence in that they start to go over the top with it but then pull it back before things get too crazy. The dodgeball match was the only time this episode that I thought wasn't snooze worthy but then they end up abbreviating it. That's something I noticed in that the show doesn't go full crazy with the concept which ends up leaving it somewhat middling.

The other side to this is more of a slice of life show with a few over the top moments. Now that's closer to a work like Lucky Star. I think that's where the show somewhat excels in that it's much better at creating those quiet moments rather than anything actually humorous. I think that's somewhat due to the characters not exuberayting all this energy. I don't particularly like slice of life shows so this is leaving me somewhat cold to the work as a whole but I can appreciate it doing those moments well. Not to mention the show tries to balance these largely unfunny gags with the slice of life stuff and I don't think it gels well together at times. So I think it ends up with Takemoto compensating somewhat for a relatively weak script.

I guess I just wish this was actually funnier than how it's turning out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom