• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, the stuff after where Season 1 ends is where the manga starts to hit its stride.

There's actually less of a major focus on All Might and Deku's relationship in it, though it's still a prominent part of it.

But from then on the focus is more on Deku's relationship with his classmates and his growth as a whole. Todoroki and Iida get a ton of development as well.

Since season 2 of MHA is airing on the Saturday 5:30 PM pre-Conan timeslot, it'll most likely be 2 cour instead of season 1's 1 cour.

Oh shit, then could we actually get the training camp arc in that case?

Moaradin

Since season 2 of MHA is airing on the Saturday 5:30 PM pre-Conan timeslot, it'll most likely be 2 cour instead of season 1's 1 cour.

Awesome news if true. Though hopefully they adapt further than the S2 pre-release stuff seems to indicate if it is indeed 2 cours, otherwise people will still have a problem with the pacing lol.

Jarmel

Banned
MHA S2 should end up being better than S1 as the production scheduling seems to be better and the material is also somewhat better. However the coloring and art direction being mediocre to bad are still going to be notable issues and are putting a damper on my enthusiasm for the show.

If does end up being two cours though, at least it's going out on a pure 'hoy shit i cant contain myself the hype' moment. Hopefully this season has better pacing and the first cour ends at the Stain arc and the second cour with the fight.

Cornbread78

Akibas Trip ep.5
The true purpose of SFV was just revealed here. This show has no right being so much fun for being so damn stupid.

Qurupeke

Konosuba S2 4

Remember the interview that said S2 would be more "moe"? I don't see it. It's almost the opposite. The show embraces S1's artstyle and humor and they basically seem to follow episode 9's direction the most. I think that makes S2 even more enjoyable though.

What a crazy episode.

Season so far...

Blue Exorcist-Can stuff please happen?
Fuuka-Can we get to the dumb stuff already?
Akiba's Trip-Meh
ACCA: 13-See Blue Exorcist
Rakugo-Gonna watch it all at the end.
Yakuza 0-Best anime of the season.
Tiger Mask W-It's alright.
Nobunaga no Shinobi-It's good.
Gundam-Yeah, it's a Gundam show.

Dropped
Onihei
Dragon Maid
Masamune-kun

zulux21

One whole page.

Maybe instead of adding up X amount of pages, and just checking how the voting is going, why not actually add the votes up.

I added them up in my head as they were placed over the last month, it became clear early on that mob and re:zero were the favorites thus I only really paid attention to them. Mob was mentioned more times over the month in my head. I haven't looked at the thread since it finished :p

I wouldn't be surprised if a different show squeaked ahead of re:Zero but I think mob has it by a large margin overall.

Joe Molotov

10 seconds of Kemono Friends 01

wait...this show is 23 minutes long...

omg, this POV scene I'm gonna throw up, nope nope nope nope...

Cornbread78

Maid Dragon ep.4
Meh, closer to dropping this, but the park/dodgeball part (which was legit funny) saved the show for another week.

Tales of Zestiria the X ep.4
The action, animation, art and music were sll excellent in this episode. This anime is so much better than the game. "Don't do it Rose!!!"

Wanderer5

- Konosuba has been quite excellent and hilarious so far.
- Blue Exorcist has been fine as an adaption so far.
- Little Witch Academia has been fun and charming so far
- Dragon Maid hasn't gotten me hooked two episodes in. I just not feeling it. Has a cute style through.
- ACCA is okay from the first two episodes, but not sure if I have so much interests to keep going. The opening rocks through.

Bungo Stray Dogs 24 END

This episode left much more time for a cool-down/epilogue than I was expecting. Despite the tease of what I assume is the next story arc in the manga, it was a satisfying ending. The central conflict was wrapped up, as were the character arcs of Atsushi, Kyouka, and Akutagawa, in addition to further reflection from Dazai that tied his backstory into his motivations for his current actions. I'm glad to see that Igarashi and Enokido still have it, despite having turned out so much subpar work over the past decade. I said this before, but I'll reiterate that this is the kind of action anime I most appreciate.

Scum's Wish 1-2

I would not normally want to watch this kind of material, but the direction is reflective and atmospheric enough to make me interested. Masaomi Ando has decided to go with a style here that makes liberal use of manga-esque panels, somewhat similar to Yuasa's Ping Pong. In both cases it's a creative way to keep the visuals interesting despite limited animation. But whereas Ping Pong used panels to make the visuals more dynamic, Scum's Wish uses them as a way of isolating out characters from each other, turning them inward on themselves. It's a technique that fits well with the possessive, self-centered love that is the main theme. These are a bunch of people making horrible decisions in their attempt to get release from their lust, and if the second episode is any indication this is just going to get more and more messy as the cast spiral around each other. Hopefully the direction can stay atmospheric and low-key enough that the blossoming love dodecahedron doesn't become too groan-worthy for me to continue.

Moca should just go away though. It's impossible for me to take her seriously, especially with her high-pitched "cutesy" voice acting. She's in the wrong show.

Konosuba 4

Darkness going on about her perfect man, describing Kazuma to a T and nobody addressing it fucking slayed me.

Same with the casual way Aqua summoned all those fish to Kazuma's astonishment.

The entire end sequence was amazing, from the test of strength to Darkness getting overstimulated, "that's why they call you Kazutrash!" to the dad walking in, Aqua pointing to them and the dad just saying "Execute them"

"I think you could make her happier than I ever could"
"Hey, you wanna step outside?"

The comedic timing of this show is what's so on point for it and why it stands out so much against a lot of other anime comedies.

Also Darkness' boobs increased like, 3 sizes that day

Konosuba 2 - 04

This show is just too good. This is some comedy gold in my books. Every damn week this show has me cracking up out loud. These characters are too much.

e_i

Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid episode 4

Bf1jpME.png

SAAAIIIIIIKKKKAAAWWWAAAA!

Chaos;Child 4
iOusukn.jpg

ByvKeBG.jpg

I do wonder what the green delusions for these scenes would have been.
I don't know, this feels really rushed and doesn't give the characters a lot of time to breathe. Though, I can say that the atmosphere is on point and is exactly what I want from a Chaos adaptation. In particular, Taku's delusions felt really good to watch, even if I would have liked it if this were introduced earlier. But the pacing feels almost as bad as the C;H's adaptation. I'm giving it a huge pass on a lot of its failings because it's not terrible (yet), but I do feel really tempted to just drop it so I can play the VN fresh without the major plot points already revealed.

Szadek

Rakugo Shinju - S2 Ep. 4
Relevant
Probably the best episode of S2 so far.
Konatsu was amazing this episode. I really hope she changes her mind and preformes more Rakugo in the future.

Cornbread78

Gargantia ep.4
They did a pretty good job in this episode showing Ledo's troubles with understand what earth's society is, how they operate and how much emotional freedom they have as a mon militaristic society.

I gave sporadic thoughts before but I feel like this episode encapsulates everything I love about this series. Between this and the season premier I'm not sure which episode was funnier.

Despite being Darkness focus, it pretty much runs the gamut showing all of Kazuma's character traits. Just like in that OVA, he's a terrible shit who says and does terrible things and the only thing that really reigns him in is fear of what people outside of his party will think of him. And as someone who really likes Black Comedy, I just love how in denial Kazuma is about how horrible of a person he actually is.

And yeah, I feel like since Darkness took a back seat in the last two episodes, the writers felt they had to go all in in the masochism to make up for it and it was all hilarious.

If it's 2-cours and doesn't end on that All Might fight, then they're doing something wrong.

I think that might be stretching it a bit, even for two cours. I mean, if 13 episodes of cour one could cover the Sports Festival and the Stain arc, I'm not sure how you'd fit both the
Training Camp arc and the
All For One
arc in the remaining episodes.

PK Gaming

Maid Dragon 04

Another episode that injects a crazy amount of charm and heart into the source material. Pretty much the entire first half was anime-original content, featuring a near non-stop barrage of good vibes™. The family dynamic between Kobayashi, Tohru and Kanna's family is still so damn good, especially when you take the manga into account (which hadn't really solidified it at the time). The comedy still isn't that great, but I don't think you should be watching this for the comedy. You should be watching it for the hyper surreal, lovingly crafted comfy SoL approach. And the ridiculously good sakuga animation.

The people working working on this must have been immensely passionate towards the source material because good lord, the lengths they went towards adding new content.

I do hope the second season of MHA flows better.

The pacing in the first season was the main issue for me.

I think that might be stretching it a bit, even for two cours. I mean, if 13 episodes of cour one could cover the Sports Festival and the Stain arc, I'm not sure how you'd fit both the
Training Camp arc and the
All For One
arc in the remaining episodes.

I'm honestly thinking it'll just be one cour, and the Sports Fesitval and Stain arcs will be what is adapted. Stain Arc also has a perfectly good climax to end a season on. I think trying to squeeze in more will only lead to more issues since the series will then be way to close to catching up to the manga.

Moaradin

I'm honestly thinking it'll just be one cour, and the Sports Fesitval and Stain arcs will be what is adapted. Stain Arc also has a perfectly good climax to end a season on. I think trying to squeeze in more will only lead to more issues since the series will then be way to close to catching up to the manga.

If it's a yearly thing like Haikyuu, then I don't think it would have a problem catching up. Even with 2 cours.

With how well they did the All Might vs Noumu moment, I trust Bones to do good with Stain.

And if pacing is what scares people, I really don't think that will be a problem with what they will adapt for the second season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom