• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

JulianImp

Regarding Fuuka... yeah, it's just a by-the-book show, with no unique redeeming qualities so far.

Something that always kind of bugs me is how it looks like male supporting characters in harems have to be explicitly charaterized as being absolute non-threats to the MC in regards to nagging all dem sexy waifus, so they're either incompetently dumb comedic relief or just gay. It's kind of ridiculous how Fuuka's friend gets into a couple tropey romantic situations, but everything gets brushed off because he isn't into girls anyway... like, really?

Regarding Fuuka... yeah, it's just a by-the-book show, with no unique redeeming qualities so far.

Something that always kind of bugs me is how it looks like male supporting characters in harems have to be explicitly charaterized as being absolute non-threats to the MC in regards to nagging all dem sexy waifus, so they're either incompetently dumb comedic relief or just gay. It's kind of ridiculous how Fuuka's friend gets into a couple tropey romantic situations, but everything gets brushed off because he isn't into girls anyway... like, really?

I think that's always what pissed me off the most about anime like this. It takes for granted ever actually giving characters actual agency. All the female characters instantly fall in love with the MC because he's...like nice or something. The side male characters are either complete non-factors or not even a threat.

KraytarJ

I think that's always what pissed me off the most about anime like this. It takes for granted ever actually giving characters actual agency. All the female characters instantly fall in love with the MC because he's...like nice or something. The side male characters are either complete non-factors or not even a threat.
Any anime that follows to closely to conventions is bound to fail, obviously, but for me harems are especially vulnerable to this. Because of their very nature the entire show is going to be centred around one character and in standard harems the MC always sucks, which by extension makes all the girls chasing after him look worse and as a result the show fails. Which is why I don't like Fuuka, Yuu is a bad and boring protagonist that makes the entire supporting cast look worse by association.

The only actual good harems that I've seen are Monogatari and Konosuba (which is a light harem at most). They both succeed because they have likeable (maybe not exactly the right word) and interesting MCs who are surrounded by great casts which helps clear the first hurdle of actually liking the MC and the cast around him that is needed in order to get any enjoyment out of a show.

Edit: another thing those shows do well at is making the girls interesting on their own, with personalities that are not reliant on their relationship to the MC which for me Fuuka really doesn't, especially for childhood friend and guitar-chan.

Mailbox

New Discord invitation - expires in 12 hours

-------------------------------------------

Scum's Wish 04

Official most evil and unforgivable villains list -

The Joker
Eric Sparrow
Chara
Freeza
Dio Brando
Luca Blight
Shao Kahn
This fucking music teacher

Scums Wish ep.4
ZMFhvW5.gif

Somebody call SDBurton.... IMMEDIATELY.

Also, FUCK this crazy-ass, super-bitch, evil-minded, slut of a teacher, seriously....

Villian of of the year for real.. uugghh, so many things wrong with this episode...

I will say that this show does an amazing job depicting the confusion and range of emotions that she is going though. The show hits way to close to home with this stuff and it's almost as painful to watch her go through this as it is to watch Rei in full on depression mode in 3-gatsu. The presentation is amazing in this regard..

tumblr_inline_mpot3mdVwF1qz4rgp.png

Now you guys see what i've been hinting at!
loving these reactions >:3

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Even Dio Brando would be disgusted at Minagawa-sensei.

JulianImp

Any anime that follows to closely to conventions is bound to fail, obviously, but for me harems are especially vulnerable to this. Because of their very nature the entire show is going to be centred around one character and in standard harems the MC always sucks, which by extension makes all the girls chasing after him look worse and as a result the show fails. Which is why I don't like Fuuka, Yuu is a bad and boring protagonist that makes the entire supporting cast look worse by association.

But those conventions don't actually make that much sense, and only lead to ludicrous stories about six or so girls falling for a guy that's often bland as hell, and often unable to get a clue to boot. I get that harems are often about wondering who the MC will end up with, but delaying that by having him not get a single hint from any of the girls or brushing off their approaches by constantly abusing mood whiplash scenes that turn romantic moments into comedic ones is just uninspired as hell, and not even that interesting.

Other male characters being non-threats is also really unispired, but something I guess could put writers off of doing that kind of thing is the fear that rivalXgirl shippings might sabotage the community, or them rioting because he ends up with a fan favorite. That and it'd probably be harder to write than "everybody loves the MC because reasons".

Say, I kind of liked the way the love triangle between Taiichi, Inaba and Nagase worked in Kokoro Connect, but I guess it's in part because the show was focused on a smaller cast, while harems often have to split screen time between every single love interest in order to try and appeal to why they should end up with the MC (which they often fail miserably at, anyway).

Mailbox

Scum's wish 4
2e071_anime_gifs_KYLUx9y.gif

Oh I haven't felt this way since Madoka.
Where you have a slight hint of things going a specific way and then a few episode in the show hits you right over the head with what the show is really about.

Production quality remains high and the way they handled Minagawa works so damn well.
I honestly think they did this better here than they did the manga, since some scenes are definitely more graphic iirc and the way some scenes are structured are improved.

I told you guys: these are terrible people in terrible toxic relationships. I love it!

Oh this was absolutely delish and I'm loving the reactions too.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
But those conventions don't actually make that much sense, and only lead to ludicrous stories about six or so girls falling for a guy that's often bland as hell, and often unable to get a clue to boot. I get that harems are often about wondering who the MC will end up with, but delaying that by having him not get a single hint from any of the girls or brushing off their approaches by constantly abusing mood whiplash scenes that turn romantic moments into comedic ones is just uninspired as hell, and not even that interesting.

Other male characters being non-threats is also really unispired, but something I guess could put writers off of doing that kind of thing is the fear that rivalXgirl shippings might sabotage the community, or them rioting because he ends up with a fan favorite. That and it'd probably be harder to write than "everybody loves the MC because reasons".

Say, I kind of liked the way the love triangle between Taiichi, Inaba and Nagase worked in Kokoro Connect, but I guess it's in part because the show was focused on a smaller cast, while harems often have to split screen time between every single love interest in order to try and appeal to why they should end up with the MC (which they often fail miserably at, anyway).

Fuuka is like the only series where it makes sense. Yuu is a rock star for the vast majority of the series.

KraytarJ

Masamune-kun 5
So the prickly romance grows closer, I'm dreading Yoshino blowing things up after Masamune reneges on the deal to dump Aki (unless Yoshino is next levelling this and all of this isn't to hurt Aki but to make her happy and have her open up). Then of course non sequitur-chan showed up and whatever she's playing at seems just as devious as anyone else here, it'll be interesting to see where that goes.

That was more or less my point, that a lot of conventions inherent to harems often undermine the show by not only making ever girl like the main girl but the MC not actually commit to any of them (which is one part of what makes Monogatari so interesting). I guess I was more focusing on where those conventions fail Fuuka. Then of course like you mentioned the lack of any meaningful male characters in the main cast hurts things too.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

You're causing me pain to have to type out a response defending Seo, but it's more complicated than it appears.

It's kinda hard to explain without seriously spoiling the plot.

So is Scums Wish just the suffering show? I appreciate a good drama, but everything I've heard just sounds like shitty people: the romantic drama. I can do shitty people: the cop show, and shitty people: the drug/organized crime show

But I don't know how terribly into this I'd be. Eagerly waiting for more impressions as the show nears its end to see if it's worth binging or if I'll want to be dead watching it

JulianImp

You're causing me pain to have to type out a response defending Seo, but it's more complicated than it appears.

It's kinda hard to explain without seriously spoiling the plot.

Sorry, but it takes me a while to get used to character names... who's Seo again?

Still, if that's the case, then the story's doing an awful job at foreshadowing characters having some hidden depths that we'll slowly get to explore from what I remember seeing so far. If your story takes too long to break out of the mold of Straight Harem #32767, then the audience is likely to dismiss it as that, which is what's been happening to me so far. The show looks so derivative and unispired that I can't even be bothered to keep on watching, and it's partly its own fault for consistently showing me things I've already seen a thousand times in other harem series.

Moaradin

Fuuka is just a dumb meme show. Don't watch it unless you legitimately like it or you wanna watch a trainwreck. The only reason people recommend it is so they can see the reactions of unsuspecting victims when it gets real dumb.

KraytarJ

So is Scums Wish just the suffering show? I appreciate a good drama, but everything I've heard just sounds like shitty people: the romantic drama. I can do shitty people: the cop show, and shitty people: the drug/organized crime show

But I don't know how terribly into this I'd be. Eagerly waiting for more impressions as the show nears its end to see if it's worth binging or if I'll want to be dead watching it
All the Scum's Wish talk makes me mad that Amazon picked it up since there's no way to watch it outside of the US because Masamune has made me realize how much I want to see shitty people in a relationship.

Quasar

Fuuka is just a dumb meme show. Don't watch it unless you legitimately like it or you wanna watch a trainwreck. The only reason people recommend it is so they can see the reactions of unsuspecting victims when it gets real dumb.

Well that's not why I'd reccomend it. That kind of reason is just insulting.

Quasar

All the Scum's Wish talk makes me mad that Amazon picked it up since there's no way to watch it outside of the US because Masamune has made me realize how much I want to see shitty people in a relationship.

Well that's not true. Primevideo is available in lots of countries now. Hell anime is the only reason I have a primevideo sub.

I though something was sketchy when people started recommending it in the Toonami thread last month. lol

Quasar

That's the reason most people recommend it. It's like recommending people to watch School Days. It's just a big inside joke.

I don't even know if the show will even get to the so called twist, which is weird given its a tiny portion of the story. Its like the first chapter of the much longer story of the band.

KraytarJ

Well that's not true. Primevideo is available in lots of countries now. Hell anime is the only reason I have a primevideo sub.
To my knowledge scum's wish is only on strike (I think that's what it's called) and that's not available outside the US. If it isn't then I'll be happy to check it out even though Prime Video is really bad here (Canada).

DiGiKerot

To my knowledge scum's wish is only on strike (I think that's what it's called) and that's not available outside the US. If it isn't then I'll be happy to check it out even though Prime Video is really bad here (Canada).

It's available on regular Prime in a lot of territories that have no such thing as Strike - no idea about the Canadas, but it's sure sitting on my Prime queue here in the U.K.

zulux21

so power can be returned to the people.

now now we all know mods will just continue to abuse their power to claim that live action puppet shows are anime and that there isn't anything the people can do about it :p

my internet died and the thread is still not up

Re:Zero won and jojo didn't even make the top 50.

what more do you need to know :3

actually the only shows I know didn't make the top 50 were voted on by DTL :p

Quasar

It's available on regular Prime in a lot of territories that have no such thing as Strike - no idea about the Canadas, but it's sure sitting on my Prime queue here in the U.K.

Australia too. All the Amazon exclusive new anime is on Australian PrimeVideo. Same as last season. Of course they have screwed up the subs on Onihei, so I've had to stop watching, so theres that point against em.

Narag

Maybe we should leave the organizing of big voting threads to professional shadow councils who can actually get results out in a timely manner. This is now under consideration.

Or at least ensure the people running them can actually make time to get to the down and dirty work instead of making everyone else wait just for the sake of community involvement.

Cornbread78

Shit, now I know how TUSR & BGBW feel when it's time for the seasonal threads to be posted!

My set deadline is still 5 1/2 hours away....

So, I'm going to finish brewing my coffee, bring my daughter to the bus stop, bring the dog (that ruined my beauty sleep this morning) for another quick walk, jump back in the car, commute a 1/2 hour to work, walk into the office, plug my laptop into the base, log into the network, wait for the IS updates to piss me off (play Digimon on my Vita while I wait), open up Excel, Imgur, Firefox and Explorer, answer any immediate emails from my boss/clients that I couldn't respond to from GOOD, then get to work finishing the thread based on the numbers TUSR sent back last night.

A.K.A- a couple hours away, so hold your pants.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Protip:

Lie and say you've already tallied the results, it's just tightening up the graphics on banner 3 that's taking a little while.

Cornbread78

Protip:

Lie and say you've already tallied the results, it's just tightening up the graphics on banner 3 that's taking a little while.

Well, that is essentially the truth, however, I'm sure my images won't meet AnimeGAF standards, so it's all good.

And besides, I usually beg you for the banners, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom