• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

blurr

Tanaka-kun is always Listless 04-05

The sole reason I resumed watching this show was because I really wanted something relaxing after recovering from a mild headache and in that regard, it's doing great. It also manages to draw some laughs out of me.

It's interesting how we get to hear everyone's thoughts and not just Tanaka and Ohta's. It centers itself onto the new character refreshing the show with Tanaka and Ohta playing the supporting role.

Narag

Konosuba S2 3

Megumin practicing outside the dungeon made my day. Comedy is so much tighter this season that I didn't even want Aqua to die this episode.

Jarmel

Banned
Konosuba S2 3

Megumin practicing outside the dungeon made my day. Comedy is so much tighter this season that I didn't even want Aqua to die this episode.

Aqua is much better this season. She's just as idiotic as before but she's more charming somehow.

Nrocinu777

Neo Member
Scum's wish 4

Ok this show is rad. I'm REALLY liking this villain.

Any shows ya'll would recommend with such nasty and fun to hate villains?

Feels like there's a more earnest innocence surrounding the dumb shit she does nowadays.

Yeah, the VA I think does a good job selling her. Her lines and delivery during the scene where she comes home when Megumin and Kazuma were in the bath were so well done. Like, this purposeful airhead obliviousness. It was amazing.

That reminds me that I swear the guy doing the first few seconds of the LWA ED is the guy who did that famous cut of the shapeshifting forms in shinji's mind in the last couple eps of Evangelion

Edit: it was Yoh Yoshinari, and he's the Director for LWA as well so a good chance

No, the animator who handled the effects in the LWA ED is Masanobu Hiraoka, who animated this music video as well as the similar sections in the Chi's Sweet Adventure OP.

Jarmel

Banned
Youjo Senki-5
teBwyKe.jpg
Pretty much the most entertaining aspect of GATE was the whole modern military versus medieval savages stuff. It was a fun way of not only looking at how far we as a civilization has progressed but also amusing in the way some one-sided beatdowns usually are. This episode and series, to a more limited extent, reminds me of GATE except as a generally better version of it. Unlike GATE which took its premise seriously, you can tell the staff here are having fun with the concept.
This episode had to do with Tanya creating her battalion and trying to pretty much get everybody to quit. She decides to do this by making the entrance qualifications seemingly absurdly high but the higher-ups make her lower her standard thus forcing her to train them. She decides then to stall by making her training period near impossible. This is essentially a WW-1 version of Special Forces training.

• Lack of Sleep - Check
  • Impossible Physical Requirements - Check
  • Emotional Breakdowns - Check
Once again her own competence ends up biting her in her ass. Oops, looks she created the first SAS in that world. The staff and author are definitely having fun with the concept and aren't in any way treating the material seriously. Seeing Visha grab the shovel and run to dig a hole, because she knew what was coming, was hysterical. You can tell the staff/creators are enjoying playing with the concept when you have the dogs scene. Hell her entire speech at the end of the training was ripped straight out of Full Metal Jacket.

Aoi Yuuki is a treasure.
I was worried the second half of this episode was going to be boring and full of talking. Thankfully I was wrong and it was Tanya testing her new troops. This episode showed the difference between WW1 and WW2 tactics. For example the emphasis on air superiority and blitzkrieg were WW2 strategies but you can see the effectiveness over the traditional mindeset present in WW1. It would be like putting WW2 fighter jets and bombers into a WW1 setting and seeing the chaos they wrecked. Of course the icing on the cake was
Aoi Yuuki at the end intentionally taking on that super cute voice
. Just too good.
All praise to Being X.

Yeah, after people warning me about Youjo Senki, I'm still finding it's execution amusing. I feel like it takes the piss out of itself enough for me to not see it as glorifying Nazi Germany.

This is the eva cut I was talking about, do you know who did it?
https://sakugabooru.com/data/2e98fa60f47a40ab2c72f847b109e594.mp4

You were right about that one above, it was Yoh Yoshinari. From an animestyle interview:

Oguro: The paper animation in the last episode of Eva also felt quite like a private film, did you have much freedom over the content?

Yoshinari: I think so. There were only brief indications about the content on the storyboard.

Oguro: It was quite different compared to your other works, wasn’t it?

Yoshinari: Indeed, seeing the lines you drew yourself on the final film almost never happens in anime. But if I remember well, they didn’t directly film the paper for that one. Instead they passed it in the trace machine once.

Oguro: Really?

Yoshinari: Pencil lines are too pale to be scanned directly. Of course it’s cheaper since it doesn’t require finishing and stuff, but we clearly cannot make entire series that way. Also, it looks like corner-cutting without colors.

Oguro: Did you find the idea interesting when you were told about it?

Yoshinari: Of course I did. The context was quite special too. The production was hard-pushed, and we didn’t even know if the episode could air in time, so it almost felt like we could draw whatever we wanted to.

Oguro: But you also nailed some of Eva’s essence by including elements like a crucifix.

Yoshinari: Isn’t it just a coincidence? I was just chain-drawing it like a shiritori anime, so I didn’t think about it too much. I was mostly drawing by habit at that point, so I think it just looks like it in the context of Eva (laugh).

Szadek

The List is great if we erase a certain anime

Concrete Revolutio Made it to top 33.
I can live with that.

Flip Flappers is supirsingly high.
I will have to rewatch both of these shows soon.

Cornbread78

Fuuka ep.6
a childhood promise is never a good thing. This will be bad..... like really bad; poor girl is gonna get absolutely crushed.

Jarmel

Banned
Yeah, after people warning me about Youjo Senki, I'm still finding it's execution amusing. I feel like it takes the piss out of itself enough for me to not see it as glorifying Nazi Germany.
It doesn't really take much from Nazi Germany other than just basic military tactics. Not to mention Tanya doesn't adhere to any of their ideology. In addition to all of this, the show shits on Tanya so much that it's clearly not meant to be taken as a serious work.
Hell, the current US president is worse than this.

Copper

Fuuka Episode 6

Good episode. I'm really glad we got some backstory on Koyuki. I really feel for her now. Also loved the "we're evenly matched" remark.

Kuzu no Honkai Episode 4

Every episode this series gets all the more twisted. They really don't hold back and that's what I like about this series. I think the key difference between Akane and Hanabi is that
Hanabi actually has someone she loves and the reason why she is with these other people is to just fill the void. Whereas Akane doesn't love anyone she just loves being loved by others.

In car (Nissan Rogue rental while my Odyssey gets repaired <TY glorious Nippon autos> turned on WEEI to hear about my Patriots and the upcoming Super Bowl.

No texting and driving. You guys can get an episode of backlog anime in while I drive. Please post your reactions to said episode.

We both like the patriots, both like anime, and both have seen the light with Key anime.

I think we might be long lost brothers or something...

AOTY Results Thread
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=229642370#post229642370

There, now I'm retired from this shit, lol

Brotherhood was robbed!

I don't even see Digimon movies in the movie list...

Did you even count my vote, Corn!?

Happy for KIZNAIVER getting as high as it did.

Fuuka ep.6
a childhood promise is never a good thing. This will be bad..... like really bad; poor girl is gonna get absolutely crushed.

Life's not fair...

Is there...like...any anime where someone actually keeps their childhood promise and throw away the trash tsundares.

Damn...

I'll need to get home to write my longer Scum's Wish thoughts, as I believe the show is really good, but I will also be really drunk by the time I get home and don't know if that will help or hinder my impressions.

At least the game is apparently good.

It's good, but not quite on par with the original.

I'm curious how they'll manage to create a coherent anime out of it. Unlike the original game which was basically a linear story (just with some short branches for the alternate endings), Steins;Gate 0 has multiple major routes that are entirely different and are both required for the full story. I feel like they have their work cut out for them in managing to make a decent anime out of that.

Ushio and Tora 12

This was a cool setup episode for what happens in

Ushio and Tora 13

Ushio runnng in the city with all the Yokai after him looked really cool and Tora(even if it was predictable as hell) made a really really cool entrance with the lighting to save Ushio and the siblings.

Tora is a cool Yokai! Also seeing Ushio smile always makes me happy. Shonens have the best MCs.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Been watching the Fuuka dub which is up to episode 3 and the comparisons to a softer core School Days are all too apparent. This childhood friend digs this nonlovable loser too damn much. If not School Days then maybe Shuffle is more apt.

Cornbread78

Been watching the Fuuka dub which is up to episode 3 and the comparisons to a softer core School Days are all too apparent. This childhood friend digs this nonlovable loser too damn much. If not School Days then maybe Shuffle is more apt.
I refuse to feel sorry for a childhood friend who gets hung up on a trash MC like Yuu.

LOL, that dude was a loser as well, so yeah....

I can totally see this poor childhood friend
running Fuuka or him over with a car in a binge of rage, or even getting hit by a car herself murdered....
Pure speculation, of course, sine I'm still going into this unadulterated, but it's gonna be bad, lol.

yeah. but...... Love Hina also

never seals the deal and gives an open ending like usual with nothing resolved.I wanted Hina babies after they went to college together.

I guess we must just accept that nothing will ever live up to the high standards that Clannad set.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom