• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fjordson

I know this show is probably old news for most people, but I just started watching Yamato 2199...it's incredible, surprised this never gained traction in the West.

Had to import the pricey blu-ray box from Japan. Seems like it was worth it, though.

I'd say ACCA is easily my favourite of the season. And really I find there's plenty of stuff happening.

I guess my issue is that it feels like there's no escalation. And I don't mean that I expect the series to go full guns blazing, explosions in the city while Otus swings from chandeliers to seduce the prince and save the day-- but it feels like very little is coming of all this coup teasing. Something big seems to be coming and it all defuses by the end of the episode with little carry over. Maybe I'm impatient /shrug

Quasar

I know this show is probably old news for most people, but I just started watching Yamato 2199...it's incredible, surprised this never gained traction in the West.

Had to import the pricey blu-ray box from Japan. Seems like it was worth it, though.

The piracy requirement probably had something to do with it.

Fjordson

The piracy requirement probably had something to do with it.
True. And based on my minimal research, it seems like they never even got out all the volumes of it in the West before ditching it.

Guess I'm surprised no one tried to dub it and put it out over here properly. It's really good.

DTVZWhs.png

Ehhhh… I wouldn't even put it as second best so far.

Really should do a write up on what I've been watching, since it's all the CGDCT tat of the season for that genuine anime of the season verdict.
I'd like to see that.

I'm in need of dumb fun anime, so I guess after....7ish years I'll finally continue Black Lagoon with it's sequel. When that's done I'll read the manga and add another series into my bucket of hiatused mangas....Togashi (HxH), Miura (Berserk...IT WILL GO BACK ONTO HIATUS ANYDAY NOW!) and Yazawa (Nana) have already killed my soul so another one to the bucket can't hurt.

Cornbread78

I'm in need of dumb fun anime, so I guess after....7ish years I'll finally continue Black Lagoon with it's sequel. When that's done I'll read the manga and add another series into my bucket of hiatused mangas....Togashi (HxH), Miura (Berserk...IT WILL GO BACK ONTO HIATUS ANYDAY NOW!) and Yazawa (Nana) have already killed my soul so another one to the bucket can't hurt.

Etotama
Baka to Test
My Wife is a Mermaid

These are dumb and fun if you get sick of Black Lagoon again.

Alright so what's an anime no one talks about that you really like from ages past. Something that wasn't like outstanding in anything but you still just enjoyed a lot.

Someone mentioned Kyouro Kazoku Nikki and I'd agree, that show was great.

Oh Edo Rocket is that show for me. Love that show.

I'm not talking shit like "Oh, I really liked Hunter X Hunter 99, like literally everyone who exists" or "Galaxy Express 999 was legit" I mean the random show that popped up in a season that barely anyone talks about anymore and got like 1 figure made by a dude in his basement for the 5 people that liked that anime.

Maybe I'm really drunk and just watching old Oh Edo Rocket episodes, you can't prove it, fuck you this is a free country

I also love Armed Librarians: Book of Bantorra and will pay $4000 dollars for a Hamyuts Meseta statue. I will also pay a hooker $4000 to dress up as Hamyuts Meseta and use a sling to throw stones at me.

Alright so what's an anime no one talks about that you really like from ages past. Something that wasn't like outstanding in anything but you still just enjoyed a lot.

Someone mentioned Kyouro Kazoku Nikki and I'd agree, that show was great.

Oh Edo Rocket is that show for me. Love that show.

I'm not talking shit like "Oh, I really liked Hunter X Hunter 99, like literally everyone who exists" or "Galaxy Express 999 was legit" I mean the random show that popped up in a season that barely anyone talks about anymore and got like 1 figure made by a dude in his basement for the 5 people that liked that anime.

Maybe I'm really drunk and just watching old Oh Edo Rocket episodes, you can't prove it, fuck you this is a free country

I also love Armed Librarians: Book of Bantorra and will pay $4000 dollars for a Hamyuts Meseta statue. I will also pay a hooker $4000 to dress up as Hamyuts Meseta and use a sling to throw stones at me.
That would be me and yes it is great. It trades places with Kaiba as my favorite anime.

Sterok

Youjo Senki 5

Tanya is never going to realize being too competent is what got her here is she? Too good a mage, too good a commander, and apparently too good a trainer. Well, at least she got a chance to blow off some steam at the end. Kind of hard to believe the enemy was that ill-equipped to deal with air mages, but history is ripe with examples of commanders that just didn't get it, so I'll let it slide.

Narag

Magic Knight Rayearth 6
  • Tyring the evolving weapons to character growth is actually this really exciting thing since we have instatn gratificationt whenever they learn something new about themselves.
  • The previews are a good example how to handle such things. They're really misleading yet always true.

Kuzu no Honkai 04

I once made the exact same mistake Hanabi is making with Ecchan and I expect it is going to end the exact same way too after a while.

Quasar

Hmm.

Aishiteruze Baby. I really like that, one of my favourite I guess you'd call them dad anime. Low budget/aged animation but I really liked the story and characters. Kid actually felt like a normal kid, unlike some of its competitors.

Cornbread78

Penguin Drum ep.12
Himari chan!!!! Alright, who is apple man stepping onto the stage? I already don't like him from before.

Hmm.
Aishiteruze Baby. I really like that, one of my favourite I guess you'd call them dad anime. Low budget/aged animation but I really liked the story and characters. Kid actually felt like a normal kid, unlike some of its competitors.

This is a good show.

Itazura na Kiss is another one.

Descending Stories 05

There is a lot to say about this show, but I feel like I risk repeating myself of what I've been saying of the last 14 episodes. Really everything about it is fantastic, where it really stands out is the character animation and use of body language. Watching the old and bitter Yakumo transform into an artist the moment he starts doing rakugo is something else.

The ending of this episode though...good lord. Completely haunting.
When the curtain closed at the end of his performance...I refuse to believe that it is symbolizing his own death.

ACCA: 13-Territory Inspection Dept. Episode 3 – The Swirling Smoke of Rumors in the Castle

For an anime where all they do is talk, it continues to be really compelling at times. The coup d'tat idea and who the rumors eventually surround are as good as those as the ones about the king not remaining in power (though kind of silly with the prince).

Hyouge Mono. Aside from the main character being an extreme lover of aesthetics, I don't remember much about it so I've been meaning to rewatch eventually.

Grexeno

I've decided to do a very, very stupid thing. I'm going try and watch each of the GAF Top 20 Anime since 2010 excepting movies and the Monogatari Series.

This is a very stupid thing.

Narag

I've decided to do a very, very stupid thing. I'm going try and watch each of the GAF Top 20 Anime since 2010 excepting movies and the Monogatari Series.

This is a very stupid thing.

I think if, say, you cut it to 50 entries from those lists, it'd be much more rewarding.

Grexeno

I think if, say, you cut it to 50 entries from those lists, it'd be much more rewarding.
I've got plenty of time. I'm gonna try for at least 2 episodes of backlog a day (which for like over a year will probably include 1 episode of Gintama.)

KraytarJ

I mean, the biggest problem is I have no idea where I would even start with it. I suppose it would be best to go in release order, though.
I've been going in release order over the past couple months (I'm still in second season) and it's been amazing. You should at least give Bakemonogatari (the first one) a shot. I remember when I was in your position and from the outside it looks impossible to decipher where to even begin but honestly it's worth jumping in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom