• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean, the biggest problem is I have no idea where I would even start with it. I suppose it would be best to go in release order, though.

Release order.

Bake -> Nise -> Shiro -> Second Season -> Hana -> Tsuki -> Owari -> Koyomi

The one exception is Kizumonogatari, due to its weird production. You can watch that whenever tbh. I'd probably watch it after Bake, at least before Owari.

Release order.

Bake -> Nise -> Shiro -> Second Season -> Hana -> Tsuki -> Owari -> Koyomi

The one exception is Kizumonogatari, due to its weird production. You can watch that whenever tbh

And if you want exact Novel release order:

Bake -> Kizu -> Nise -> Neko-Shiro -> Second Season Neko-Kuro Arc (First Arc of 2nd season) -> Hana -> Rest of Second Season ->Tsuki -> Koyomi -> Owari

Hand Shakers Episode 3 – Blade and Dagger
C3x9sK3WMAAJSMy.jpg:small
C3x_37LWEAEVgJu.jpg:small

Come on Tazuna, you keep having pretty epic moves but always just a little bit too late and too weak. The opponents this time are pretty cool especially with the Shadow Clones but also with some of the fast paced footwork and dodging, laughed when she actually ran, grabbed his head, vanished, and reappeared, as well as when she was running around the skyscraper and on the side.

Tazuna has good poses and lines, probably best lead character this season. Like that smile even while facing off against swords.

C3x_pspXUAAP7g2.jpg:small
C3yAmKxXUAAvVpF.jpg:small

Also I hope they arent really enemies, their backstory was pretty emotional and kind of terrible. I hope working conditions in JPN arent really like this, this seems like it ought to be illegal.
C3x-OflW8AM895g.jpg:small
C3x-OfoWYAEjgl0.jpg:small

Conan-san

But yeah, Fuuka is feeling like this year's "Asterisk's War."

There's potential for an interesting story, a guy overcomes his social anxieties by forming a band with his new fiends, but it's buried underneath all the romcom/harem cliches.

Diffrence being Astrix War was an OK LN dragged to hell by a lousy Anime

Fukka was doomed being the spawn of SEO.

Cornbread78

Blue Exorcist S2 ep.5
Well, things are starting to piece together, but the pacing is really, really slow. I can see why they went rogue in S1, lol.

SOLDIER

Signed up for Funimation Now's 14 day free trial. I wanted to check out the dub for My Hero Academia, but I can only find the Japanese subbed version. Where is it?

Signed up for Funimation Now's 14 day free trial. I wanted to check out the dub for My Hero Academia, but I can only find the Japanese subbed version. Where is it?

here's a pic
f460a86ab2816a97998a166738b22bbd.png

Ehhhh... Not a huge fan of her. Feel like she overdoes some of her covers.

I won't say thats not true. I really really like some of her works like Freckles from Kenshin and Cruel angel thesis, but some of her covers that I heard like that one Angel beats one...it was bad. But that's with all people who covers things. Depends if the songs fits with their voice or not

Rakugo S2 - 05

Holy fuck someone hold me. This show is too fucking good. Too fucking good. How do they do it? Each week it only gets better and better?!

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Alright so what's an anime no one talks about that you really like from ages past. Something that wasn't like outstanding in anything but you still just enjoyed a lot.

Someone mentioned Kyouro Kazoku Nikki and I'd agree, that show was great.

Oh Edo Rocket is that show for me. Love that show.

I'm not talking shit like "Oh, I really liked Hunter X Hunter 99, like literally everyone who exists" or "Galaxy Express 999 was legit" I mean the random show that popped up in a season that barely anyone talks about anymore and got like 1 figure made by a dude in his basement for the 5 people that liked that anime.

Maybe I'm really drunk and just watching old Oh Edo Rocket episodes, you can't prove it, fuck you this is a free country

I also love Armed Librarians: Book of Bantorra and will pay $4000 dollars for a Hamyuts Meseta statue. I will also pay a hooker $4000 to dress up as Hamyuts Meseta and use a sling to throw stones at me.

Chuka ichiban aka cooking master boy.
Shit was dòpe

It all started after we got back from a movie...

Chaos;Child 04

I'm not quite sure why they were acting so fucking terrified of the people in the building. The ones free clearly weren't trying to actually kill them or anything.

I can understand our lead freaking out, since he'd already kinda lost it twice by that point, but yeah, not sure why the others are quite so jumpy.

sonicmj1

Alright so what's an anime no one talks about that you really like from ages past. Something that wasn't like outstanding in anything but you still just enjoyed a lot.

I'm not talking shit like "Oh, I really liked Hunter X Hunter 99, like literally everyone who exists" or "Galaxy Express 999 was legit" I mean the random show that popped up in a season that barely anyone talks about anymore and got like 1 figure made by a dude in his basement for the 5 people that liked that anime.

Maybe I'm really drunk and just watching old Oh Edo Rocket episodes, you can't prove it, fuck you this is a free country

I also love Armed Librarians: Book of Bantorra and will pay $4000 dollars for a Hamyuts Meseta statue. I will also pay a hooker $4000 to dress up as Hamyuts Meseta and use a sling to throw stones at me.

Hataraki Man is probably the realest look at Japanese work culture that you're likely to get anywhere. It's also got a great protagonist.

There isn't really any other anime like it as far as I know. I wish more people watched it.

SOLDIER

here's a pic
f460a86ab2816a97998a166738b22bbd.png

I won't say thats not true. I really really like some of her works like Freckles from Kenshin and Cruel angel thesis, but some of her covers that I heard like that one Angel beats one...it was bad. But that's with all people who covers things. Depends if the songs fits with their voice or not

I'll need to double check, but on the PS4 app only Japanese was a language option.

I honestly don't listen to many covers. But there is one person I do like to listen to and that I actually subscribed to: Dima Lancaster. He's done one or two covers with AmaLee, but I feel he does a better job. Has a respect of the original music and does his best not to overpower the music. He doesn't always knock it out of the park, but I don't think there was ever a song where he overpowered the music so much that I wanted to turn it off. Sometimes I go back and listen to some of his covers.

Too bad he isn't as well known as AmaLee. I think he's pretty underrated.

trejo

First of all, Oh! Edo Rocket is fucking awesome.

Violinist of Hameln is probably more infamously known (by what little amount of people know of it) as being more of a moving slideshow than an actual animated production but I'll be damned if it wasn't an entertaining musically-themed fantasy adventure with a cast of likeable characters and a pretty wacky story, all things considered. Oh and did I mention that characters fight by wielding musical instruments as magical blunt force trauma weapons?

In other times I would have made an effort to get Jexhius to watch it so he could have rallied people into a good ol' bandwagon but alas. Hell, I'm fairly certain it could've even made The List at some point.

Fuuuuuuuuka this 6

WHAT TYPE OF PARENTS TELL THEIR KID THEY'RE GETTING A DIVORCE ON HER BIRTHDAY!?

ayAyZ6v.gif

Also the male lead in this shows displays all the emotional intelligence of the average gopher. Former childhood friend grown into attractive woman shows up at his house, gives him tickets to her upcoming concert, and he's like "Yo, glad we're friends again...bye."

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Konosuba is the anime version of Always Sunny in Philadelphia.
This is actually a really good comparison. They are just being utterly ludicrous for comedy's sake and it's great. They're also all terrible people.

I thought season 1 was pretty average with very short spikes of funny. Season 2 has been legit hilarious. I would say it has a similar "getting to know the characters" curve of enjoyability just like Gintama. Hopefully it keeps up.

Grexeno

This is actually a really good comparison. They are just being utterly ludicrous for comedy's sake and it's great. They're also all terrible people.

I thought season 1 was pretty average with very short spikes of funny. Season 2 has been legit hilarious. I would say it has a similar "getting to know the characters" curve of enjoyability just like Gintama. Hopefully it keeps up.
Season 2 has stuck with me a lot more than Season 1

Syrinx

Fuuka 6

In addition to other problems other this episode (see Hellwarden's post), one of my pet peeves is when characters show a complete inability to put two and two together.

So Fuuka knows Yuu and Koyuki were childhood friends. And now, Koyuki's telling her how her songs are mostly about her unrequited love for somebody she knew growing up.

...Nothing. Fuuka even tells her she's rooting for her.

Even Homer eventually put Dental Plan and Lisa Needs Braces together.

Cornbread78

Fuuka 6

In addition to other problems other this episode (see Hellwarden's post), one of my pet peeves is when characters show a complete inability to put two and two together.
So Fuuka knows Yuu and Koyuki were childhood friends. And now, Koyuki's telling her how her songs are mostly about her unrequited love for somebody she knew growing up.
...Nothing. Fuuka even tells her she's rooting for her.
Even Homer eventually put Dental Plan and Lisa Needs Braces together.

Remember Fuuka doesn't "like" anyone either. Hmmmm...

Guess Who

Banned
Rakugo Shinjuu S2E5

Uh, why
are Sukeroku's eyes red
in the OP? Oh. Oh. Oh.

Christ, that was a phenomenal episode. That entire performance by Bon/Kiku/Yakumo was so tense, and just from the subject matter you could tell
it would be his last
. I was expecting
Kiku to die this season because boy is that OP unsubtle
, but I wasn't expecting it so soon. The entire sequence was beautifully directed.

Jintor

Yuriphonium S2 -end-

Not sure how to feel about this season, it felt a lot more meandering than s1's extremely clear cut throughline but there was still a lot to like overall. I'll have to think on this a bit.

It was a bit weird when they got to Nagoya and I was like "huh, I've been to that specific concert Hall"

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'm talking about Fuuka not realizing the person Koyuki was talking about was Yuu. Or at least not thinking of the possibility.

Oh yeah, Fuuka is pretty dang self involved. She should have been at least a little suspicious after episode 3 but she's still pretending back then to not have feelings for him.

JulianImp

Yuri Kuma Arashi - END

This felt like a pretty hefty step down coming from Penguindrum, as the show never managed to make me care about its cast at all, and the focus on the two main girls realizing their love was such that it felt like the story suffered quite a bit compared to Penguindrum's more abstract premise, which allowed the plot to wander off in more interesting ways than here.

Ultimately, I guess it might be because YuriKuma was more of a romance show compared to Penguindrum's drama, but even then I wish it could've handled its themes in a less ham-fisted way. One thing I kind of liked is that it looked like this show built upon the themes of "invisible" people I saw in Penguindrum, and actually gave us a world were the invisible were actually in charge. Still, I think it wasn't explored enough and/or in an interesting enough way to redeem the show in my eyes, and the generic star-crossed lovers story just didn't cut it for me.

Bottom line: Okay-ish but still kind of meh, so it's pretty unlikely for me to actually recommend the show to anyone.

Descending Stories: Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu 5:
Masterpiece.

Man, this whole episode was a visual feast, and the story was so engrossing.
Yakumo's final performance was honestly just completely beautiful, and that ending was so perfectly executed. I wasn't expecting that to happen this soon.
This show is just too damn good. I'm not sure what we did to deserve it.

Youjo Senki 5
Oh boy, this episode was pretty great.
The Navy Seal training, Visha digging a hole and hiding in it before Tanya even announced the commencing bombardment, the Border Guard conversation and even the childish voice when announcing she was going to brutally murder every person inside the factory. Great episode

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu: Sukeroku Futatabi-hen Episode 5:

I get the feeling that in spite of all of his hatred that this is the way that Sukereko Eighth Generation would want to die and also kudos to his unwavering respect for the craft in finishing his performance before keeling over.

I honestly don't listen to many covers. But there is one person I do like to listen to and that I actually subscribed to: Dima Lancaster. He's done one or two covers with AmaLee, but I feel he does a better job. Has a respect of the original music and does his best not to overpower the music. He doesn't always knock it out of the park, but I don't think there was ever a song where he overpowered the music so much that I wanted to turn it off. Sometimes I go back and listen to some of his covers.

Too bad he isn't as well known as AmaLee. I think he's pretty underrated.
I love lancaster! His recent cover of the haikyu season 3 ending was super good. They are many good talent out there, it's always fun finding a new one.

Narag

firehawk when will you watch Kemono Friends? it's basically Soranowoto if all the humans had died and only the trumpets were left.

Jarmel

Banned
The source material is pretty much the same way. If anything the anime cut back on some of it.

I feel like a lot of this could not work without Yuuki's top notch voice acting. I mean just listen to this scene:

https://a.pomf.cat/lslrqu.webm

She's fucking hamming it up to the 11th degree and it's absolutely goddamn amazing as a result. She's savoring those English lines like they were Kobe beef. surprise presento de

Andrew J.

Zegapain. It's a giant robot show with an interesting premise, a slow-burn story, and cool hard light weapons and armor. I've seen other people bring it up here two or three times, ever.

Narag

You guys should probably make a list of these overlooked shows. It'll be easier to refer to later if it's all in one post.

KraytarJ

Hitagi End
I really wasn't expecting this to be Kaiki's arc but I can't imagine a better alternative. Seeing Kaiki allowed to develop into the complex antagonist that never really clears up is, in typical mono fashion, fascinating. Then of course seeing Senjyoghara and Nadeko and how they've grown and changed since the series started was one of the pillars of the arc. But of course, like always, Hanekawa stole the show for me. She's just such an amazing character, and her being the only person (including Kaiki) to actually see Nadeko for what she is was perfect. Also a pretty cool contrast to Gaen in the last arc, both were advisors for the narrator but they went about things in a very different way, and that contrast between the two is still so cool to me. And of course that ending man, shocking in a way monogatari usually isn't while still setting up what's to come in an indirect way.

SkyOdin

Zegapain. It's a giant robot show with an interesting premise, a slow-burn story, and cool hard light weapons and armor. I've seen other people bring it up here two or three times, ever.
Zegapain was a pretty good show. The first few episodes have a really cool surreal mystery vibe. While it drops that after they reveal the truth of things a few episodes in, the strong cast carries the show to the end with ease. One of the better little-known mecha shows I've watched.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom