• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.
IIRC you had only checked out the first two eps and dropped it after.I won't argue the point about it being hit or miss because I feel the same way about the first cour but so far the second has been like TNG after Riker grew a beard.

I only watched the first two eps when it aired, yeah (good memory!). But if I would have to judge the series from those two, I wouldn't have said it's mixed (which is more or less 50/50 in good/bad), the first two were much weaker than that.

It was around one month ago when I watched the rest, I had free time on Christmas vacations, and because people insisted it was really funny, I tried watching the rest to see if it improved. And it did it. But even then, it's still in the 'mixed' range for me.

---

Scum's Wish 4

r2qxHpY.jpg
QsvqSO4.jpg

DIOOOOO WITH TITS!

Apart from that, I would like to focus a bit of attention in the use of music, which is pretty much in the background, but it has been tailored to each scene with care.
There was a beautiful sad and slow piano when Hinabi hears the love confession and is broken in pieces. Later, when the girls make out, it starts with an eerie piece with piano and keyboards that expresses confusion, and something 'not right', which transform in a more classical, melancholic part when we see the tragedy of Ecchan side.

Narag

I only watched the first two eps when it aired, yeah (good memory!). But if I would have to judge the series from those two, I wouldn't have said it's mixed (which is more or less 50/50 in good/bad), the first two were much weaker than that.

It was around one month ago when I watched the rest, I had free time on Christmas vacations, and because people insisted it was really funny, I tried watching the rest to see if it improved. And it did it. But even then, it's still in the 'mixed' range for me.

I'd recommend giving the first ep of S2 a shot regardless since all the chickens come home to roost.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Interviews with Monster Girls Episode 5:

This episode was a bit on the educational side since I didn't really know too much about Snow Women folklore.

JulianImp

I'm fairly happy with the AotY list, but on the movie side I'd say I liked Kizu part 2 more than part 1, mostly since the first movie only covered the prologue of the story, and ended just as things were about to get interesting.

Mob psycho 8 eng dub

Still has good dubbed, that fight man looks amazing. If it All Might vs Noumu did not happen it would have been the best fight of 2016.

Ushio and Tora 14-15

Those spears users candidate so far are soso imo. I really liked the motorcycle guy, but the girl annoyed me and the possessed dude as a terrible design. Aside from that the bus rescue scene looked really cool even if the people who got thrown out should have been ran over like a million time for how long it took them to stop it. Cheer up Ushio! You are the good guy!

Cautiously hyped.
I can feel it! It's going to be amazing!

I always tell myself I should calm down my hype, but it's just to damn hard!

Szadek

Penguindrum - Ep. 11
This anime has too many Yanderes!
Just kidding, you can never have too many of those.

Go! Princess Precure - Ep. 15-16
That was the Aroma episode I didn't knew I wanted until I got it.
Puff's human from was so freaking adorable.
The fight was pretty kickass as well.

Episode 16 was a another Minami episode.
I'm very glad that she gets more development since she often comes across as too perfect.
Apperently she can talk with animals and fight underwater, which is a bit odd, but she is Cure Mermaid afterall, so I guess it does make sense.
Also, Tina was super cute:

Rakugo 5

E5yH1yw.png

The scene where they examine Yakumo's ego shows him 'under the glass', like under a microscope or magnifying glass.
DrrP4gn.png

This scene, with the horizontal scroll, made me think about the passage of life itself, up to the final destination, death, of course.

What. what. It's episode 5,
I didn't expect for him to die already! I hope he isn't dead and next episode he appears in a hospital recovering from a heart stroke.

Great episode, apart from that. It hints perfectly at the beginning what Yotaro says finally in the middle part, he doesn't have proper ego, he is empty in that regard and focus on his master, on bring Rakugo to the masses again, on Konatsu.

Szadek

I'm fairly happy with the AotY list, but on the movie side I'd say I liked Kizu part 2 more than part 1, mostly since the first movie only covered the prologue of the story, and ended just as things were about to get interesting.
I think many people just haven't seen part 2 intime, since ,as far as I can tell, most people seem to prefere 2 ( and 3 for that matter) over 1.

I'm glad to see more and more people watching Scum's Wish. I was afraid that both it being an Amazon show + the subject matter would repulse most folks. I'm a big advocate for this show this season, we don't get works like this very often (if at all?).

sasuke_91

I'm glad to see more and more people watching Scum's Wish. I was afraid that both it being an Amazon show + the subject matter would repulse most folks. I'm a big advocate for this show this season, we don't get works like this very often (if at all?).

What's so special about this series?

Or in general, what are the must watch anime this season? I'm only watching Konosuba S2 at the moment.

March comes in like a lion 16

Good episode. I especially liked the ending scenes where you get the usually quiet and reserved characters getting deeply invested in things they care about. And birds.

What's so special about this series?

Or in general, what are the must watch anime this season? I'm only watching Konosuba S2 at the moment.
Honestly if you dig back a few pages you'll see others and myself go into detail pretty extensively. But it's a show about 2 scummy people trying to cope with their unrequited emotions through toxic relationships, both mentally and physically. The circle is bigger now though. You could say there are no heroes or villains in this story since it can feel pretty damn real and even close to home to some, but this one character is basically one of the coolest "evil" personalities I've seen in a while. It's pretty well directed, beautifully drawn, and although it does delve into somewhat M rated content, it doesn't do it for the sake of it being fanservice. It is handled in a way that feels human, and emotional.

sasuke_91

hummm

Tales of Zestiria the X
Gundam IBO
Twin Star exorcist
élDLIVE
Akiba's trip
Blue Exorcist

These are all pretty great!

Thanks for the recommendations. I have no interest in Akiba's trip, but other than that, I'll check them out.

Honestly if you dig back a few pages you'll see others and myself go into detail pretty extensively. But it's a show about 2 scummy people trying to cope with their unrequited emotions through toxic relationships, both mentally and physically. The circle is bigger now though. You could say there are no heroes or villains in this story since it can feel pretty damn real and even close to home to some, but this one character is basically one of the coolest "evil" personalities I've seen in a while. It's pretty well directed, beautifully drawn, and although it does delve into somewhat M rated content, it doesn't do it for the sake of it being fanservice. It is handled in a way that feels human, and emotional.

This sounds really interesting. Thank you!

KraytarJ

Thanks for the recommendations. I have no interest in Akiba's trip, but other than that, I'll check them out.

This sounds really interesting. Thank you!
Just gonna say, Akiba's Trip didn't interest me either and I figured it'd be just another lousy anime adaptation but it's actually pretty great. The MC has a new otaku passion each week (idols, radios, Street Fighter even) and each look is pretty entertaining. I'd say giving at least until the idol episode (which I think is 3 and it's the standout of the series so far for me).

Otherwise I think Masamune-kun's revenge is also worth a look. It's a bit like Scum's Wish in that it's a love story between some pretty bad people for what is on the surface level a pretty bad reason. It's not quite as good as SW so if you have only time for one go for that but it's still good if you're looking for other stuff to watch.

sasuke_91

Just gonna say, Akiba's Trip didn't interest me either and I figured it'd be just another lousy anime adaptation but it's actually pretty great. The MC has a new otaku passion each week (idols, radios, Street Fighter even) and each look is pretty entertaining. I'd say giving at least until the idol episode (which I think is 3 and it's the standout of the series so far for me).

Otherwise I think Masamune-kun's revenge is also worth a look. It's a bit like Scum's Wish in that it's a love story between some pretty bad people for what is on the surface level a pretty bad reason. It's not quite as good as SW so if you have only time for one go for that but it's still good if you're looking for other stuff to watch.

I only want to watch 2-3 new animes every season and rather focus on catching up with older stuff.

Yonafunu

ALL THE MHA TEASE!!

My boy Deku and Kacchan lookin goooooood!

I still can't get over the garish colours and terrible backgrounds. The visuals are the most disappointing part of the anime for me, even more than the pacing. The storyboarding and directing is boring, and the animation is generally unremarkable. Such a shame.

edit: Season 2 should be better just on the strength of the material, though. Can't say I'm not excited.

Blue Exorcist Kyoto arc 5
52b8db885b80fc7cbb39bcf7255c7e01.jpg

I don't really get all the *it's slow* comments. I really like how they flesh out the past of the characters and the story, seeing stuff like how Father Fujimoto and Master Tatsuma met is really cool. Seeing each of Rin's friends slowly get over the fact that he is the son of Satan and realise that he is really a good guy no matter who is father might be as the be my favourite part. I guess if you don't really like the characters that would be a reason, but I like em all(minus Yukio) and find how they interact super fun. Really liking this adaptation so far. Really hard to decide if I like Tales or this more. Both just have such a fantastic cast of characters.

Also even if depressed Rin makes me sad, I got to say he looks good no matter the situation.
2d5fab65ec0e34b58afd89cb9ac78240.jpg

Naruto vs Sasuke was a better fight than both of those
A it's true Naruto vs Sasuke was a thing last year and I just always seem to forget it. Agreed that it is better then that Mob fight, but I still found the All Might vs Noumu fight better.

JCG

Planetes 21

Looks like it's goodbye to Jupiter for Hoshino

At the risk of getting toasted, I've to say I don't find this to be well directed and the ending here reminded me of that again. That fade to credits was disgusting and undercut any impact of what just happened, yuck. And it's not even the first time this has happened.

I just went back to watch this particular scene out of curiosity and...I guess that's a matter of personal stylistic preference? Not a big deal for me. In any case, if you're interested in another perspective on the show, I'll just point to Nick Creamer's ongoing write-ups about the series on his blog. I imagine you won't fully agree with him, going by this statement, but I'll say his commentary and interpretations are quite interesting to read.

I can't really say that I'm a fan of the Planetes anime, especially about the various changes to the manga and the anime original content.

I still can't get over the garish colours and terrible backgrounds. The visuals are the most disappointing part of the anime for me, even more than the pacing. The storyboarding and directing is boring, and the animation is generally unremarkable. Such a shame.

Yeah, I was actually looking forward to My Hero Academia because of Umakoshi, but the first episode was such a let down. The show feels like a waste of his talent. Hopefully the second season will be better in this regard; at least there's Yutapon animation to look forward to.

Aki-at

ClassicaLoid - 17 (End???)

Wow this was the best J horror anime I've ever seen. Who would have thought the big bird was the big bad all along?!? RIP Beethoven, RIP Kanae, RIP Sosuke, RIP everyone else. ClassicaLoid finale was something else!

Yo seriously I want to try some fried oranges now.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Blue Exorcist Kyoto arc 5

I don't really get all the *it's slow* comments.

Ah yes, I can field this one, it is because this arc doesn't really have any forward momentum and the sense of urgency that should be happening over a major event is getting sidetracked as a result.

JCG

I can't really say that I'm a fan of the Planetes anime, especially about the various changes to the manga and the anime original content.

I could do without a couple of the sillier sequences early on, mind you, but I'd still argue some of the better moments in the anime were not taken from the manga. Claire is entirely anime original and has a good arc. Even a character as openly ridiculous as Lavie actually gets his chance to shine too. They spent a lot of time adding extra details to the anime's depictions of space technology, which was far less of a concern in the original work, and the expanded political/socio-economic implications that Creamer has discussed in his writings are worth digging into.

In other words, it's not like the anime changes are trading something for nothing. As a result, both products have their own relatively unique set of strengths and weaknesses. Which is why, along with FMA 2003, I personally tend to consider the Planetes anime as a good example of why making changes to the source material (or simply not being able to adapt the whole thing in the first place for various reasons) is not automatically a bad outcome. That said, the manga is still great and absolutely worth reading.

I liked it up until the final arc when the male lead does a 180 for the worst. That whole final arc left a bad taste in my mouth

It's not nice to see him take such a turn, because he does become more repulsive as a human being, but I also felt his darker side had plenty of build-up and ties into the themes of the show. In short, it's definitely not a plot twist or only there for shock value.

Qurupeke

3-gatsu no lion 16

It was mentioned by several people on the AOTY thread, but the show is truly good right now. There's a certain direction, the comedic timing isn't off like the start and the serious scenes, especially those concerning Rei's sister, are done very well. All that in a beautiful and creative show, thanks to Shaft. This season has quite a few shows I really like and this one is certainly one of the front runners. A strong finale is all I ask now.

Good episode, pretty much a break after all those shogi matches. I'm a bit disappointed we didn't get to see the actual game, but I suppose we're in for a treat soon with the title match. Also, for someone that initially seemed like a random character of the day, Shimada has turned out to be one of my favourites. Very mature, passionate and understanding while he also seems to have a certain sense of humor.

Ah yes, I can field this one, it is because this arc doesn't really have any forward momentum and the sense of urgency that should be happening over a major event is getting sidetracked as a result.
I don't really get what you mean by lack of urgency and stuff getting side-tracked? We have the stuff about the eye and Rin's situation seeing major developpement every episode so far. Do you want stuff to be more lets say *hectic*? I find the way each revelation and important moments like both Bon and Rin snapping moment or the tension of finding the traitor to be really well done.

Maybe you just aren't interested enough in the story? It would be understandable since the first season aired a long time ago.

phaze

I just went back to watch this particular scene out of curiosity and...I guess that's a matter of personal stylistic preference? Not a big deal for me. In any case, if you're interested in another perspective on the show, I'll just point to Nick Creamer's ongoing write-ups about the series on his blog. I imagine you won't fully agree with him, going by this statement, but I'll say his commentary and interpretations are quite interesting to read.

Thanks for the link, will check those out, maybe it will make me look bit differently on some facets of the show.

Penguindrum - Ep. 11
This anime has too many Yanderes!
Just kidding, you can never have too many of those.

:

That's the spirit.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I don't really get what you mean by lack of urgency and stuff getting side-tracked? We have the stuff about the eye and Rin's situation seeing major developpement every episode so far. Do you want stuff to be more lets say *hectic*? I find the way each revelation and important moments like both Bon and Rin snapping moment or the tension of finding the traitor to be really well done.

Maybe you just aren't interested enough in the story? It would be understandable since the first season aired a long time ago.

In terms of the narrative the eyes should be moving the plot and character in their direction like a McGuffin should be but is being cast aside for the Rin situation. Moreover, the current events corresponding to Rin while making sense on having a major focus. Having to deal with them for the audience is an exercise in tedium because it is retreading a lot of ground from the last arc, complete with flashbacks. Let me see, there are just too many bodies on the ground right now as we have most of the actual main cast siting around doing nothing with an exception or two. More then anything else though, this arc isn't about action this is a political intrigue arc involving multiple factions and the politics contained within and that necessitates a slower pace. Unfortunately this isn't what a lot of people are looking for in a shonen action series.

there's a gintama dub?

Out of every anime that seems wrong to get a dub, this is one of the top ones. Not to mention 90% of the humor is the straight man/crazy person humor of Japan alongside lots of screaming. Don't think it'd go too well with english VA style.

In terms of the narrative the eyes should be moving the plot and character in their direction like a McGuffin should be but is being cast aside for the Rin situation. Moreover, the current events corresponding to Rin while making sense on having a major focus. Having to deal with them for the audience is an exercise in tedium because it is retreading a lot of ground from the last arc, complete with flashbacks. Let me see, there are just too many bodies on the ground right now as we have most of the actual main cast siting around doing nothing with an exception or two. More then anything else though, this arc isn't about action this is a political intrigue arc involving multiple factions and the politics contained within and that necessitates a slower pace. Unfortunately this isn't what a lot of people are looking for in a shonen action series.
I can get your stance if you are saying the series can lack action right now, but I think you are kind of wrong on one point. I would consider the Rin situation to be the main plot and that it is through the impure king arc(which I consider a sub plot) that we see the rest of cast evolve and see Rin through a different eye. Pretty much every episode since the first we have seen a character show is stance about Rin and develop from there. We had Shima in episode 2, Koneko in episode 3 and Bon throughout the whole thing so far since he is more or less the second MC in this arc. Since I follow the manga my way of seeing the plot might differ I guess since I know where the story is going.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I can get your stance if you are saying the series can lack action right now, but I think you are kind of wrong on one point. I would consider the Rin situation to be the main plot and that it is through the impure king arc(which I consider a sub plot) that we see the rest of cast evolve and see Rin through a different eye. Pretty much every episode since the first we have seen a character show is stance about Rin and develop from there. We had Shima in episode 2, Koneko in episode 3 and Bon throughout the whole thing so far since he is more or less the second MC in this arc. Since I follow the manga my way of seeing the plot might differ I guess since I know where the story is going.

I agree that Rin's current predicament is the actual main storyline but from an internal perspective it is only half of the urgency and the two dichotomies are not playing well together because one path is very delicate and methodical and the other is frantic and urgent in design.

Szadek

That's the spirit.
I know, right?
Yandere are surprisingly rare despite how popular the trope is.

Princess Precure - Ep. 17
Kirara Episode!!! Awesomeness ensured.
It was mostly about the relationship with her mother, who is a Top model and her role model.
Cure Twinkle was very nervous, because she was about to walk on the catwalk and her mother tried to clam her down in her own weird way.

HEYBOT! 19

Its pretty telling about the nature of this show when an episode that follows a plotline more closely is less good

New Dragon Ball Super OP is alright. They say "cant get no satisfaction" in english for no reason so thats cool. The old one really grew on me, but its impossible for anything to touch the older OPs just because they're so classic. Not sure about this new alien rival dude but Hit looked kinda lame too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom