• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

petran79

Banned
I can't really say that I'm a fan of the Planetes anime, especially about the various changes to the manga and the anime original content.

Twin Spica is even worse. I remember liking the series but after reading the manga I changed my mind.

TV series ended too soon, without unfolding the full story and characters. It was low budget too. But I doubt such manga scenes could have been adapted on TV without losing some of the magic. At least the ED sequence stays faithfull to the manga design.

Twin Spica is even worse. I remember liking the series but after reading the manga I changed my mind.

TV series ended too soon, without unfolding the full story and characters. It was low budget too. But I doubt such manga scenes could have been adapted on TV without losing some of the magic. At least the ED sequence stays faithfull to the manga design.

Bokurano is that for me, never have I've been pissed at a anime adaption as much as that one.

KING OF THE BRAVES GAOGAIGAR #39 The Seven Strongest Machine Primevals.

What is this arc, I didnt think the anime would get THIS serious that all of GGG would be captured by the strongest 7 who seem to have godlike powers. Unless Soldnat-J and Gai-niisan get some friendship powerups from a KaidoMomoru teamup, they will be doomed. Im sad this means no Goldion Hammer, its the best.

Jintor

i don't think i've ever watched planetes critically before, i just remember loving it when i first saw it

i also remember thinking the manga wasn't as awe-inspiring as the anime

maybe my brain has changed. if i find time i'll go back, though i really should finish my toradora writeups first

Grexeno

Level E (Dub) 04-08

This show shines when Baka is actively onscreen trolling people and doesn't quite shine when he isn't.

Dragon Ball Super 77

FP0pDQs.jpg
OQhxcOX.jpg
DFyFc8T.jpg
Zrx6cVK.jpg

tfw vegeta is a far better father then goku

Vegeta is so moe awkwardly pacing back and forth and trying to stop himself from smiling thinking about his new kid

Beyblade Episode 10

Brad Best and A.J. Topper are back, this is going to be good.
C33USFQWYAAsv5G.jpg:small

I need Kai to beyblade, these china teams are amazing, though why did one guy sound like he is of mexico descent.

Dragon Ball Super 77

Vegeta is so moe awkwardly pacing back and forth and trying to stop himself from smiling thinking about his new kid

lmao that Goten line out of context is fucking hilarious due to him being a bad family man.

Also there's a whole video from Masako I remember watching going over how for Saiyans marriage isn't a big deal, and that only a few Saiyans (in this case Bardock and Vegeta) form meaningful bonds with their family/spouses

Dai-Guard Episode 9 engdub

Shirota put on the spot twiice by Akagi, Im glad Akagi continues to be his moral compass forcing him to think about potential victims well being, something not typically done in mecha.

Got some neat responses to my question. I couldn't respond to them however due to INCREDIBLE FACE PAIN that suddenly happened last night and prevented me from sleeping. Turns out my wisdom teeth which never gave me problems ever got infected from impacting and proceeded to infect my entire jaw. Imma need emergency surgery to get them removed and flush out all the infection in my face. Wheeeeeeeee!

At least I'll be able to catch up on anime in the mean time.

Man, looking at some anime I've watched to see what random older stuff I liked but forgot about made me realize I've watched a lot of really bad shit. Like Girls Bravo or Asura Cryin.

Kamen no Maid-guy was kinda fun just for the absurdity.

Still super sad the dude who did Nyan Koi got so sick.

Cornbread78

Seiren ep.5
So an older gamer chick this time around, huh. I don't remember her appearance in the first arc at all. I just hope this one ends better tgan the first arc.

One Punch Man - 05
Great episode. Genos and Saitama are growing into true bros. And this animation is absolutely insane. Their practice fight with each other had me drooling. To top it off, I haven't laughed out loud watching an anime in a while, but something about this show just consistently amuses me.

Bonus points for Saitama's weird Mickey Mouse like walk-away from Genos after he nearly punches his face off.
vlcsnap-2017-02-04-21h02m20s093_zpsy98fvrd3.png

Narag

Magic Knight Rayearth 9
saw this and thought of that composition cam twitter account

Also the usual sampling of uncompressed BD screenshots so people can get an idea of what to expect if they buy the Discotek release. Last three are from the clean third OP so look a little sharper than the TV stuff.

MartyStu

Youjo Senki

I did not even make it halfway through.

Now, I have some people whose opinions I generally trust saying this is actually worth my time.

Is this true?

Narag

Youjo Senki

I did not even make it halfway through.

Now,I have some people whose opinions I generally trust saying this is actually worth my time.

Is this true?

Should give it to the end of the second ep and judge from there. The first ep is intentionally misleading.

Sterok

Aikatsu Stars 42

Yuzu once more shits all over her class and shows why she's queen. And with her blue-haired clone faffing around with penguins, the only one left who can match her is of course Lily. Poor Ako, wanting a chance to shine but never getting it. I don't think Yuzu realizes how much everyone looks up to her. She lacks the self-awareness Hime (and the other S4) has. I kind of wish Yuzu and Lily got to talk more, since this episode was about them. Lily seems to have a slight inferiority complex over Yuzu, who is far more energetic and made it into S4. Well, it's not unnatural. Their duet was amazing, and everything I had hoped it would be. Lily looks good weird in a Pop dress. Hopefully Yuzu returns the favor and wears a Gothic dress for a Cool song sometime later.

Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid 4

This is such a warm show, both in its pleasantly mellow art and in its emotional sincerity. I've seen some people complain about this not being a very funny show, and I would agree that it's not especially hilarious, but I don't think that's a problem. There's some light humor to be had from the quirks of the character interactions (particularly in this episode the simultaneously arrogant and insecure grade-schooler), but the humanity in the depiction of these characters (even the dragons) is the real highlight. It's like a bowl of chicken noodle soup.

C33oMQ4XAAAIbun.jpg

I love how the playground slide is given three-dimensional depth through its shading.

Narag

Magic Knight Rayearth 10
Great ep built upon the foundation of just how far Hikaru, Fuu, and Umi have come in just nine episodes. Small cast plus individual focus episodes has gone a long way in how I perceive their respective demeanor.

Chaos;Child Episode 3

This anime is too creepy and scary...the stickers have no become things of nightmares, and then with the psychic plot added on top of it, Im getting scared. Please dont let the named cast members die.

Narag

My boy Deku is the most amazing guy out there!

Also wait...You're watching MHA?

It's not uncommon for people to get caught up on stuff before the next entry airs, especially if it's presumably better.

I imagine Fafner will have a lot more viewers before the next iteration airs.

It's not uncommon for people to get caught up on stuff before the next entry airs, especially if it's presumably better.

I imagine Fafner will have a lot more viewers before the next iteration airs.

I was just surprised since I remember him saying he did not like the source material.

Cornbread78

Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid 4
I've seen some people complain about this not being a very funny show, and I would agree that it's not especially hilarious, but I don't think that's a problem. There's some light humor to be had from the quirks of the character interactions (particularly in this episode the simultaneously arrogant and insecure grade-schooler), but the humanity in the depiction of these characters (even the dragons) is the real highlight. It's like a bowl of chicken noodle soup.

I think, for me anyway, that I went into it with the wrong impression of what the show would be. I thought it was a comedy/ecchi comedy from the impressions people said about the manga, but it has been more of a lighthearted SoL. Light comedy SoL can be great, but they take more to keep my attention like Barakamon, Sweetness & Lightning, and Poco's Udon World did. The characters and plot just haven't resonated with me and kept my attention.

I was just surprised since I remember him saying he did not like the source material.

I didn't say I didn't like the source material. I said I was tired of the basic weak guy to strong guy shonen action. But the show received enough praise that I figured I might as well watch this and the next season. Then decide if I want to continue reading the manga.

I didn't say I didn't like the source material. I said I was tired of the basic weak guy to strong guy shonen action. But the show received enough praise that I figured I might as well watch this and the next season. Then decide if I want to continue reading the manga.

I missunderstood then sorry! Either way more people watching MHA is always a good thing :p

Izayoi

Banned
Started watching Seraph of the End, and I gotta say I'm pretty underwhelmed so far. Terribly predictable, but the girl with the lazy eyes is mighty cute.

Started watching Seraph of the End, and I gotta say I'm pretty underwhelmed so far. Terribly predictable, but the girl with the lazy eyes is mighty cute.
While I enjoyed the first season a lot, I would consider it a slow burn,BUT it is all worth it for the second part. The second part easily has one of my favourites anime fight of all time. So unless you really are not enjoying it, keep at it.

Also yea Shinoa is a cool girl, but the true couple in the show is YuuxMika! Never forget that.

Seiren ep.5
So an older gamer chick this time around, huh. I don't remember her appearance in the first arc at all. I just hope this one ends better tgan the first arc.
I don't think she appears on screen in Tsuneki's arc, but she is kinda mentioned in the first episode as the person beating the furry senpai at fighting games in the arcade.
cnL7VPO.jpg
This line of hers reminded me of that line from FPS_Doug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7VBaCEHJrU&t=44s
MY HEART'S BEATIN' MY HEART'S BEATIN'
MY HANDS ARE SHAKIN' MY HANDS ARE SHAKIN'
BUT I'M STILL SHOOTIN' AND I'M STILL GETTIN' THE HEADSHOTS
IT'S LIKE BOOM HEADSHOT
BOOM HEADSHOT
BOOM
HEADSHOT
I also found it kinda funny that she was just relaxing in the bathtub thinking about the sick headshots she made earlier

Sterok

Maho Girls Precure Final Thoughts

After Go Princess I was very hopeful for this series. Precure could still have good writing and solid fights. And this show looked far more interesting than GoPri at first glance. With a greater focus on the magic world and more magic shenanigans, this could be just the shakeup the franchise has needed for some time. It was old school by focusing on a duo (at least at first) yet also different with multiple forms with actual differences. Of course looking different and actually doing something new are separate things.

Mirai was okay. She was technically the main protagonist, but she easily got the least attention of the 3 main characters. There just wasn't much room for her to grow as a character. Sure she's the one learning everything about magic, but her personality didn't change all that much. She was the same person in the beginning and the end. That's not necessarily a problem, but when there are so few characters and such a long series, I kind of wish they did something with her other than the lovely pink that the others look up to for emotional inspiration that all the leads do. That being said I did like what she was. She's a generic pink, but she manages to avoid being too stupid or too perfect. A running theme for her was following her instincts and just doing something. This worked out since it was about doing something is better than nothing, and it contrasted well with Riko. Overall she wasn't an amazing protagonist, but she was an entertaining one.

Riko was destined to be the more interesting one, having connections to the Magic World and being a more flawed person in general. She's prideful, panics easily, and hides her true feelings needlessly. Nothing unique, but it worked. At least early on. It was nice seeing her grow at first and warming up to Mirai and co., but that was finished early. Then there were family issues, which popped up over and over again, and it was really repetitive to see her be rude to her family then come around to them at the end because love at least 3 times. Her other big development was figuring out what she was going to do with her magic once she became talented. This being Precure she eventually figured it out, but surprisingly we got to see her actually accomplish her goal. That was good to see. Her best moments were when she was in an unfamiliar situation, such as dealing with tech or the student council. She didn't end up being as strong a character as I would've liked, but she was definitely positive overall.

Kotoha, or Haa-chan as everyone calls her, was cute. Really cute. It's the first time the uber fairy baby actually looked legit cute to me. And to top it off she wasn't annoying. At all. Sure she made a couple of baby mistakes like flying where she shouldn't, but they weren't too frequent as to not be endearing. Haa was a joy, taking in the world around her and growing up fast. Well it's better than her remaining a baby for too long. Of course she eventually grew up fully, got a human form, and became Cure Felice. She stood out from the other two, and I can't say that I thought they integrated too well with her, but she is supposed to be very different, so eh. Also, I'm not sure I'm comfortable sending a 6-month old kid into the front lines, but Hikari was a couple weeks old at most when she became Luminous, so this is nothing new. Once she grew up and adjusted to being a human, her main issue was figuring out who she was. Like Ace before her this mysterious background got some good buildup and had me intrigued on who she was. Unfortunately that got resolved by a couple of exposition dumps, and it didn't have any affect on her character, so that was disappointing. Still, she was an even bigger joy to watch than Mirai, and coupled with the most growth I think she was my favorite character.

Mofurn was a teddy bear. Not a fairy, but an actual inanimate teddy bear brought to life. The effective difference isn't much, but it was still a nice touch. It also meant everyone on the team was very different. Ordinary Earth human, struggling magic student, reborn god-fairy, and a teddy bear. Strange group. Mofurun was a fairly standard companion overall. She was fine, but not outstanding. She did good with that Cinderella episode though. She should be cooler once I've seen the movie.

The side cast was fairly solid. Jun, Emily, and Kei were consistently entertaining with their magic antics. Plus they all had a good bit of development, though that was extremely front-loaded. The Earth friends were just there. Except for Mage Hunter Kana. Poor girl suffered a lot and probably thought she was crazy, but she persevered and was rewarded for her efforts. My favorite easily. The families were fine. Chikurun I oddly liked, if only because it was nice having someone be not so perfect by the time he came in. The Headmaster didn't annoy me much, but he probably could've had less screen-time in favor of more interesting characters. His crystal ball was cool though. I wish there was an episode focusing on her.

The villains were a huge resounding meh. Too silly to be taken seriously. Not quirky enough to be funny. Well Batty was cool with how polite he was and general suave. And I guess turtle guy was cool when he beat up a shark. As a regular turtle. Sparda was forgettable, but her little plotting at the end gave her something. Gecko guy was a bit funny worshiping the doll of his master. Dokuroxy himself however was just painfully generic. Nothing to him at all. His backstory would be okay if I cared about the Headmaster, but I didn't, so tough luck. The second wave was much worse overall, just not being funny or threatening beyond their first appearance and final fights. Oruba was their saving grace, having actual plans and all, but he made some obvious errors that lowered him in my eyes. Deusmast was so bad they didn't even bother to make him a character, just a combination of those four villains. I guess it saved time since they didn't need to develop something we weren't going to care about.

The big theme for the series was the meeting and integration of two worlds. It was nice seeing Mirai learn all the wonders of the Magic World. Some of it was actually interesting like the Ice Dragons. Riko returned the favor by being mystified by the oddest things on Earth. Both got along well in the different cultures. Then there was the magic students getting to know everyone on Earth. Sadly since magic was never outed the Earthlings were limited in their ability to repay the favor, but the thought was good. I think they should've done more with the concept. Magic definitely should've been a more public thing on Earth. That would have played with the main theme better and led to some interesting episodes.

Fights were on the weaker end of the scale this time. I blame that on them blowing their budget on tons of amazing 2D attacks. Which were all amazing. There were a couple of good fights, but most attacks lacked impact, and stock footage ruled the day at the end. The Linkle Stones had a few interesting applications at least. The real treat was Miracle and Magical's form changes. Diamond was balanced, though I don't think there were any practical advantages demonstrated for it. Ruby was strength. Those fights were boring. Sapphire had flight. Those fights had the best movement and energy. Topaz had item manipulation. With stepping stones and the hammer of justice, it was the clear best of the forms. Sadly they didn't go full awesome and have mid-battle form changes until the end. That could've spiced things up a notch.

Maho Girls disappointed me. Not because it was bad, but because it fell back on the same old tired cliches it's been using for the past decade. It was generally executed well, but there's a point where something actually different needs to occur, not just a new coat of paint. A lot of filler episodes retread old ground, like Cinderella (even though it was good), turning into kids, or Haa learning how to act human for the fifth time. The better episodes were when one character was learning about the world or adjusting to it, like the Pumpkin Festival or Riko deciding on a last name. In addition, since there were few characters there was less variety for new interactions, which didn't help the feeling of staleness in later episodes. Still, the characters were likable and entertaining, and sometimes that's all that is needed. It's a good example of why Precure needs to do something different, like how the finale went off the rails (in a good way). Overall, I enjoyed the show plenty, but Precure can do better. Here's to Kirakira, which looks like it has potential from what I've seen.

Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu S2 5

Hatakeyama not only storyboarded this episode, as he's done for all episodes of this season so far, but also directed it himself. He must have wanted to make sure that Yakumo/Kiku's performance and subsequent vision was pulled off properly, and he succeeded. Perhaps my favorite moment was when the camera pulled back to reveal the jagged hallway of candles in which Yakumo found himself, and at the same time the piano music increased in rhythmic activity. That coordination of image and sound gave me shivers. Brilliant atmosphere.

Narag

Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu S2 5

Hatakeyama not only storyboarded this episode, as he's done for all episodes of this season so far, but also directed it himself. He must have wanted to make sure that Yakumo/Kiku's performance and subsequent vision was pulled off properly, and he succeeded. Perhaps my favorite moment was when the camera pulled back to reveal the jagged hallway of candles in which Yakumo found himself, and at the same time the piano music increased in rhythmic activity. That coordination of image and sound gave me shivers. Brilliant atmosphere.

Urge to catch up rising.

MCD

I just finished Bungou Stray Dogs.

7.5 overall. Could have been an easy 10 if the latter half wasn't so rushed. Felt like the pace got completely fucked. Also went ultra shonen in the end but it was worth it for that crazy money dude. lol amazing ability.

The first three or so episodes of S2 can't be topped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom