• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narag

Yeah, I wouldn't recommend it to someone that wanted go full critical eye on it because it really is flawed but for someone just wanting action/adventure? The show has enough charisma to coast by for most people.

Yowamushi Pedal

ANDY

FRANK

post-40503-Supernatural-Dean-Speechless-W-JVWN.gif

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Yeah, I wouldn't recommend it to someone that wanted go full critical eye on it because it really is flawed but for someone just wanting action/adventure? The show has enough charisma to coast by for most people.

Lax standards. What happened to the degree requirement we discussed? This removing two regulations for every new regulation will doom us all!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Rogue One

The first half of this movie is honestly pretty awful. It's this jangled mess of overly talky scenes that don't really jive together at all. All the characters have these murky relationships that don't exactly pull the viewer in. (I have no idea why Forest Whitaker's character is in this movie. His relationship with Jyn doesn't really give us much insight into either. Hell,
Jyn barely reacts to his death.
) The second half of the movie thankfully slows down and actually improves, but I don't know if it's enough to save the film. I know people have praised the action scenes in this movie, but climax suffers from this problem where they have all the main characters doing the most boring aspects of the heist. Mr. Imperial Defector, Bodhi Rook, in particular is given something that feels like a joke, but someone lost part of the script.

Also the people unironically comparing K-2SO to HK-47 need to sit down and have a hard look at their life.
The Forrest Whitaker character is apparently from the cartoon? I never bothered to look it up.

Getting commentaries and extras typically cost extra money to license, so the majority of companies don't even bother with them anymore. Sometimes extra OVAs or short episodes end up belonging to another company entirely, which the liscenser may not be willing to spend the extra time negotiating with. This happened with Sentai's release of the first season of Gatchaman Crowds, which is missing the director's cut of the final episode. Yes, I'm still upset about it!

Commentaries in particular are difficult, since not only do they cost extra to license and are difficult to subtitle (you don't really have a script to work from there), but there's all sorts of legal complications involved. If for example, one seiyu's agency doesn't want the commentary being released overseas for whatever reason, it won't happen. This happened with some anime where the seiyu was starting to focus on her music career, and her agency wouldn't approve of the commentary being released, or something. It sounds like it could get messy.

It really does suck that anime releases tend to be pretty barebones for special features these days, but that's just the state of the industry, I guess. Though speaking of anime discs with great extras, Cinelicious Pics' release of Belladonna of Sadness has some fantastic interviews included! Though they're a company that's trying to compete more within the Criterion market, so I understand why they would.
Oh, I understand the logistical issues involved, it's just disappointing that pretty much every company has abandoned features as something to include on a disc. Sentai doesn't even try anymore, which is disappointing since their old releases were insane in terms of the odd features they included. I still don't get why Infinite Stratos has commentaries, but someone took the time to listen to the voice actresses say inane things like how Houki is cute and then translated it. lol

The crazy thing is that apparently Monogatari's commentaries, since they are all written by Nisioisin himself, are available in scriptbooks - Mandoric said he was going to try to sub the commentaries and bought the first book, but then Aniplex came in and did it. Then Aniplex decided not to do it for any of the other releases, and there's essentially hours of pure Monogatari content that will never be consumed by a non-Japanese speaking audience.

It's just disappointing, because the content is literally just there to be included on the disc.

I guess. For me though it felt like consuming gaming as only a set of technical benchmarks. Thank fully eventually I was able to stop and only turn that switch on when needed / when I felt like it.
Heh, games are interesting because I did them for my dissertation. I'm at a point where I'll just skip a game story entirely if I know the game doesn't really support it. Uncharted 4 still sits unfinished after having an introductory few hours that is more boring than Persona 4's opening. lol

----

Thinking about monogatari commentaries, I had no idea that for whatever reason someone decided to subtitle them for one of the Owari episodes:
https://a.pomf.cat/icdnev.webm

Apparently the guys doing Nise 3 years ago are still alive... I guess we'll see.

DiGiKerot

The crazy thing is that apparently Monogatari's commentaries, since they are all written by Nisioisin himself, are available in scriptbooks - Mandoric said he was going to try to sub the commentaries and bought the first book, but then Aniplex came in and did it. Then Aniplex decided not to do it for any of the other releases, and there's essentially hours of pure Monogatari content that will never be consumed by a non-Japanese speaking audience.

It's just disappointing, because the content is literally just there to be included on the disc.

I've been told previously that the exclusion of the audio commentaries on the 'Monogatari releases outside Japan is by request of one of the voice actors involved as opposed to any lack of interest in doing it from the Aniplex side of things, annoyingly. Not really much what can be done there.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I've been told previously that the exclusion of the audio commentaries on the 'Monogatari releases outside Japan is by request of one of the voice actors involved as opposed to any lack of interest in doing it from the Aniplex side of things, annoyingly. Not really much what can be done there.
Oh really? That seems insane since they're not actual commentaries but essential metatextual audio dramas. Even then, they could have technically done the ones that don't feature that actor, even if it is one of the "major" ones. I know Sentai basically removed a commentary from the Infinite Stratos release for a similar reason, but still kept the other ones.

Meanwhile I've looped that webm I just linked several times and I'm down the rabbit hole of trying to figure out how to sync .ass files yet again. lol

PaulBizkit

Welp, my gf started watching that cycling anime and, since i was in the same room, i watched some of it too. The main character is very cool, the girl is creepy af and now we have Rukawa 3 (Rukawa 2 is kageyama from haikyuu and og from slam dunk).

Anyways, im up to date with akiba's trip and on ep2 of LWA. That's one too many little girls shows for me but i'm also watching jojo and cowboy bebop with my gf. Is there a filler-free guide of hokuto no ken?

Oh neat, this next case in Ace Attorney 6 is about rakugo. Talk about timing, I was about to put it down to catch up on...Rakugo.

And it stars Athena, the best Ace Attorney character said only me in the history of the world.

Welp, my gf started watching that cycling anime and, since i was in the same room, i watched some of it too. The main character is very cool, the girl is creepy af and now we have Rukawa 3 (Rukawa 2 is kageyama from haikyuu and og from slam dunk).

Anyways, im up to date with akiba's trip and on ep2 of LWA. That's one too many little girls shows for me but i'm also watching jojo and cowboy bebop with my gf. Is there a filler-free guide of hokuto no ken?

Here (original series). If I remember right (it's like 7 years since I watched Hokuto) fillers are not that bad though. Also first Arc was by far worst imo so if you are not feeling it I recommend to still push on. It gets better. Hokuto no Ken 2 only has a single filler episode. Shame that otherwise it's not nearly as good as the original.

Hotshot is the best yowapeda!
tumblr_ohhgr0KTel1s2wmmso3_540.jpg

PaulBizkit

Here (original series). If I remember right (it's like 7 years since I watched Hokuto) fillers are not that bad though. Also first Arc was by far worst imo so if you are not feeling it I recommend to still push on. It gets better. Hokuto no Ken 2 only has a single filler episode. Shame that otherwise it's not nearly as good as the original.

Alright, thanks a lot!

Clov

Oh, I understand the logistical issues involved, it's just disappointing that pretty much every company has abandoned features as something to include on a disc. Sentai doesn't even try anymore, which is disappointing since their old releases were insane in terms of the odd features they included. I still don't get why Infinite Stratos has commentaries, but someone took the time to listen to the voice actresses say inane things like how Houki is cute and then translated it. lol

----

Thinking about monogatari commentaries, I had no idea that for whatever reason someone decided to subtitle them for one of the Owari episodes:

Apparently the guys doing Nise 3 years ago are still alive... I guess we'll see.

That does sound really interesting! Hopefully that group you mentioned will continue to translate them.

Sentai's stuff is typically very barebones these days, moreso than Funimation, even. Their entire release strategy is pretty much just licensing tons of shows for as cheap as possible, and then tossing them out quickly. They often don't even bother licensing OVA episodes, which really annoys me.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Fist of the North Star non canon episodes are usually pretty good.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
That does sound really interesting! Hopefully that group you mentioned will continue to translate them.
More guys on 4chan/reddit than a group. There's also all of second season, and presumably the movies too which will probably never get subbed at all sadly. lol

Sentai's stuff is typically very barebones these days, moreso than Funimation, even. Their entire release strategy is pretty much just licensing tons of shows for as cheap as possible, and then tossing them out quickly. They often don't even bother licensing OVA episodes, which really annoys me.

Sentai's stuff is typically very barebones these days, moreso than Funimation, even. Their entire release strategy is pretty much just licensing tons of shows for as cheap as possible, and then tossing them out quickly. They often don't even bother licensing OVA episodes, which really annoys me.[/quote]

Yeah, isn't their GuP release entirely piecemeal?

Also, wow, they want people to pay 150 bucks for Infinite Stratos 2 on Bluray? I wonder if that is some deal they were forced to make to finally be able to release it on Bluray or if they're trying to make Aniplex-like premium box-sets.

Clov

Yeah, isn't their GuP release entirely piecemeal?

Also, wow, they want people to pay 150 bucks for Infinite Stratos 2 on Bluray? I wonder if that is some deal they were forced to make to finally be able to release it on Bluray or if they're trying to make Aniplex-like premium box-sets.

Yeah, with GuP the OVAs were given their own separate release. They also released Hidamari Sketch SP as a standalone release, despite it only having two episodes (if I'm remembering right). They've done this with a few shows, and I'm not sure if it's a licenser requirement on some of them or if Sentai really just wants more money. Perhaps a mixture of both?

As for Infinite Stratos, while the former is possible, I think it's more likely the latter. Sentai's collectors editions have been doing quite well for them, including releases like Chuunibyou where the only way to get it on BD at all was the collector's edition. From what I remember hearing, Infinite Stratos actually did quite well for them, so they probably think the fans will buy it anyway.

DiGiKerot

Yeah, with GuP the OVAs were given their own separate release. They also released Hidamari Sketch SP as a standalone release, despite it only having two episodes (if I'm remembering right). They've done this with a few shows, and I'm not sure if it's a licenser requirement on some of them or if Sentai really just wants more money. Perhaps a mixture of both?

As for Infinite Stratos, while the former is possible, I think it's more likely the latter. Sentai's collectors editions have been doing quite well for them, including releases like Chuunibyou where the only way to get it on BD at all was the collector's edition. From what I remember hearing, Infinite Stratos actually did quite well for them, so they probably think the fans will buy it anyway.

The GuP thing was for licensing reasons. What I can't remember is if it was just a straight-up licensor demand, or if it was one of those weird cases where the exclusive material for the home releases had to be licensed from a separate party to the show itself and had to be sold individually for that reason.

Oh, it looks like Sentais Ask.fm account said the new OAV for the Japanese movie release disk won't be on their release of the movie either about a week ago. Huh.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The GuP thing was for licensing reasons. What I can't remember is if it was just a straight-up licensor demand, or if it was one of those weird cases where the exclusive material for the home releases had to be licensed from a separate party to the show itself and had to be sold individually for that reason.

Oh, it looks like Sentais Ask.fm account said the new OAV for the Japanese movie release disk won't be on their release of the movie either about a week ago. Huh.
This has to be another reason why BD sales in Region A are becoming niche. The people who care know exactly what's missing, so you have to really want a copy of the thing.

I wonder if the premium release "gimmick" (or "scam") is just going to be the thing going forward as the market continues to contract.

I guess it's related, but it was interesting reading an article about the failure of the Star Trek: TNG Blurays and how the home video market has contracted.
http://www.treknews.net/2017/02/02/why-ds9-voyager-not-on-blu-ray-hd/

I have to assume anime is going through the same transition now, particularly since the anime audience is perfectly happy to stream everything and now even the dub only people can just stream dubs legally from the various sites now. Buying a disc basically means you have to really care about owning the text for some ephemeral reason beyond simply consuming it.

Tonton

Shin vs Neo Getter Robo 3

This was honestly kinda boring until shin getter appeared but the ending was good

Shin vs Neo Getter Robo 4

These texas guys still have the best worst engrish i've seen in anime lmao
best episode but the whole thing still felt kinda average

Narag

Shin vs Neo Getter Robo 3

This was honestly kinda boring until shin getter appeared but the ending was good

Shin vs Neo Getter Robo 4

These texas guys still have the best worst engrish i've seen in anime lmao
best episode but the whole thing still felt kinda average

Watch new getter robo and Armageddon if you haven't already.

Ninja Girl & Samurai Master Episode 19
download_1.png

Hideyoshi is a tank apparently.

The Forrest Whitaker character is apparently from the cartoon? I never bothered to look it up..

He was in Star Wars Rebels for two episodes. Most of which he spent threatening his allies and generally being a tosser.

Clov

I wonder if the premium release "gimmick" (or "scam") is just going to be the thing going forward as the market continues to contract.

I guess it's related, but it was interesting reading an article about the failure of the Star Trek: TNG Blurays and how the home video market has contracted.
http://www.treknews.net/2017/02/02/why-ds9-voyager-not-on-blu-ray-hd/

I have to assume anime is going through the same transition now, particularly since the anime audience is perfectly happy to stream everything and now even the dub only people can just stream dubs legally from the various sites now. Buying a disc basically means you have to really care about owning the text for some ephemeral reason beyond simply consuming it.

There's always going to be a place for disc sales, and anime is relatively stable in comparison to other declining disc releases. It will get more niche though, and collectors editions will get more common; we can already see this happening. The market is going to cater to people who are huge fans of particular shows, and people who care about superior audio/visual quality compared to streaming. It's niche, but people will pay out for it, often regardless of high pricing or not.

JulianImp

Heh, games are interesting because I did them for my dissertation. I'm at a point where I'll just skip a game story entirely if I know the game doesn't really support it. Uncharted 4 still sits unfinished after having an introductory few hours that is more boring than Persona 4's opening. lol

----

All this reminds me that I ought to watch Kizu I with the commentary track soon.

But seriously, monogatari commentary tracks are just flat-out awesome, and the main reason I decided to not get Aniplex releases of the series was because everything after bake is flat out missing them.

phaze

iJDQeTk.png

I almost opened Shigurui today, Phaze. I'm pretty sure this was what I forgot about earlier!!

Preppin my two years worth of anticipation.

I finished watching Death Note.

That was really fun, I enjoyed it a lot, except for a twist in the middle that took things in another direction and the ending was a bit of a let down. I really liked the mostly sensible human character designs (by anime standards, I guess).

Let's see, in the last couple of years I've watched (shows that are already over):

HunterXHunter
Legend of the Galactic Heroes
Planetes
(some) Space Brothers
(some) YuYu Hakusho
Samurai Champloo
Gurren Lagann
Fullmetal Alchemist
Berserk (90s)
Yamato 2199
And Death Note

I sure have watched a lot of stuff. I liked most of that. Space Brothers I abandoned because of its glacial pace, and YYH because I felt like I had watched enough YYH after the tournament arc was over.

Out of those, I I liked LOGH, Planetes, HxH and Samurai Champloo the best, probably in that order.

Wonder what else semi-recent stuff I've missed that is worth a watch (of stuff that is over). I tried to give the highly-praised Shirobako a try but I quit very early on with all the senpai! shit and the generic sameface girly designs. In my case the fewer anime tropes there are the better, I think.

Fate/Zero
Cowboy Bebop (from the same guy as Samurai Champloo)
Mouryou no Hako (occult crime mystery of sorts)
I'd be remiss if I didn't mention Shigurui but it is a very different take on the samurai period, with action, if you can call it that, consisting of a a few swings at most and mountains of gore and other outrageous stuff. Your mileage will vary and for the ending, you'd have to reach for manga.

Diamond is Unbreakable 34

There was a fight here (Rohan vs Gremlin on his back) that wasn't a complete nonsense.
bowdownhqjgv.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom