• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeonZ

Oh, that's neat. Which one is she? I only ever got through Bakemonogatari.

...I still don't know what this series is about.

Wait, you're talking about Bakemonogatari? The way your original post was worded I (and some of the other people considering their replies) thought you meant Kemono Friends.

Bakemonogatari gets more of a main plot by the time of Monogatari 2nd season, just get through Nisemonogatari which is the worst series but does some set up that's very important for 2nd season.

Future Card Buddyfight:DDD [Triple D] Episode 43
C4G6RqdUoAI_oAi.jpg:small
C4G6X-zUEAEcjUo.jpg:small

Pretty epic buddyfight, most impressed with Gaito that beat down for Tasuku Ryuenji was awesome. Fully guessing Tasuku Ryuenji will defeat Doctor Gara easily.

Szadek

Tsukimonogatari
My takeaways:
1. Ononoki is amazing, as previous stories seemed to imply
2. Araragi continues to be the most loveable terror in anime
3. I need to know more about Ougi and what her(?) goals are
Have fun waiting for the last season like the rest of us!

LotusHD

Banned
It's basically about people talking. With supernatural shit everywhere. And a lot of fan service. And the best harem ever created. And it's really weird but in a good way. It's just really hard to explain why it's good. Ya know?

Whenever I recommend the series to people, I pretty much tell them that it's weird to the point where I feel they'll either love it or hate it.

Wait, you're talking about Bakemonogatari? The way your original post was worded I (and some of the other people considering their replies) thought you meant Kemono Friends.

Bakemonogatari gets more of a main plot by the time of Monogatari 2nd season, just get through Nisemonogatari which is the worst series but does some set up that's very important for 2nd season.

I thought people were talking about Monogatari. Like about crab and cat and whatever. Now I'm confused.

True story, as a person who has read every single NisiOisin manga and adored most of them, I tried watching Bakemonogatari 3 times and never finished it, always falling asleep by like episode 8 and just...not feeling like continuing it. As a result I haven't watched any more than those episodes in the series even though it feels like something I'd really like. Dunno why that is.

I think the only "gatari" I ever finished was Katanagatari, which I really liked. Whole show was like getting blue-balled for a month and then having sex so hard your fucking heart explodes out your chest.

Are penguins "sea creatures"?

Technically, since they're water fowl.

NeonZ

Eww, so Narag Friends was a Nexon game?

Yep. Technically it was a big multimedia co-production of a bunch of companies, but the mobile game was developed by Nexon. Overall though, I'm not sure where that money went to.

Even the mobile game was clearly low budget with poor presentation compared to other similar mobile RPG titles.

Joe Molotov

Yep. Technically it was a big multimedia co-production of a bunch of companies, but the mobile game was developed by Nexon. Overall though, I'm not sure where that money went to.

Even the mobile game was clearly low budget with poor presentation compared to other similar mobile RPG titles.

I'm guessing tax scam.

Cardfight!! Vanguard G NEXT Episode 10- An Unsurpassable Existence engDub
C4HHAtfWEAAChVy.jpg:small

Best face to have when you hear the team name Jamie's Flowers, lol, poor Enishi-chi.

I hope Kazuma issues get resolved, ts painful seeing him just give up, what happened to him as a kid :(

KraytarJ

K-ON! 1 & 2
It's about time I filled in my KyoAni gaps so here I am. After 2 episodes I gotta say it's nice to have another pleasant high school anime, I typically love this stuff and it's been a while since I've watched one of these. The soundtrack is also pretty sweet and while I was a little freaked out by it at first that ED is really growing on me.

zulux21

K-ON! 1 & 2
It's about time I filled in my KyoAni gaps so here I am. After 2 episodes I gotta say it's nice to have another pleasant high school anime, I typically love this stuff and it's been a while since I've watched one of these. The soundtrack is also pretty sweet and while I was a little freaked out by it at first that ED is really growing on me.

you poor soul.
don't be tricked. the start of k-on is solid but (not very relevant spoilers but still spoilers lol)
it quickly degrades to nothing but tea and cake and pretending they will play music and then skipping over the music @_@

Azumanga Daioh 2

The skit about Chiyo's pigtails being detachable made me wish I was watching Nichijou.

you poor soul.
don't be tricked. the start of k-on is solid but (not very relevant spoilers but still spoilers lol)
it quickly degrades to nothing but tea and cake and pretending they will play music and then skipping over the music @_@

Please, the second season of K-ON is where the series really shines.

Clov

you poor soul.

If they're saying that they're happy watching a typical high school anime, I don't see why they'd be upset at K-ON being a slice of life show. That seems to be quite literally what they're looking for.

KraytarJ

I was aware of the whole tea thing with K-ON before going in and while I love music anime, I also love slice of life stuff and KyoAni are actually responsible for me getting into slice of life (and actually for getting away from battle shonen stuff in the first place). So I'm not terribly concerned if it's just gonna be tea time all the time.

Narag

If they're saying that they're happy watching a typical high school anime, I don't see why they'd be upset at K-ON being a slice of life show. That seems to be quite literally what they're looking for.

People have always taken cheap shots at it in here over the years. Popularity + people "being tricked" that it wasn't about the music has bred some weird contempt but it wouldn't be an anime community without some half ass misconceptions being perpetuated.

All the girls in the Araragi harem are great characters regardless of whatever silly waifu appeal you might get up in swords over. Even the lousy Nadeko was good during her arc, and... uh... I guess people into tooth brushing liked Karen's arc as well.

Other than those two, I don't think any of them are actually below each other. Even the one-arc-wonder Oikura ended up being great.

Oikura is a fantastic character but she's definitely not part of Araragi's harem. She straight up hated him and not even in a tsun tsun way lol.

Clov

People have always taken cheap shots at it in here over the years. Popularity + people "being tricked" that it wasn't about the music has bred some weird contempt but it wouldn't be an anime community without some half ass misconceptions being perpetuated.

on showing how crappy of a series it is sure :/

I just wanted a series with some fun music... and instead I get tea and cakes :/

Speak of the devil!

zulux21

Speak of the devil!

:p

to be fair I just dislike cute girls doing cute things series in general. so it's not like I think k-on is especially bad for the genre, just that the genre itself is bad.

the opening is still such a lie. they are going to make a club to make fun music like the opening... but nope... it's all about cake, tea, and falling down though I originally watched it as it aired because it was from the makers of haruhi... so the trick was real as they play it off as a music series. I figured haruhi + beck could be awesome so I gave k-on a watch.

BURN IT WITH FIRE!!!!!!

I will stick with my vastly superior light novel trash thank you very much :p

KraytarJ

K-ON! 3
Why did it take until the last minute for someone to realize a study session was necessary?! Like they've known Yui long enough to know she won't do shit on her own. Then of course there's more snack time and Ritsu continues to carry the show. Then we end with the revelation that Yui has the memory of a goldfish, this band is really going places.

I should finish up K-ON! S2 one day, I've only had 3 episodes left since 2010....one day I'll do it, just like my 8 year struggle to finish Clannad After Story's last 12 episodes.

Jintor

K-on! was definitely a cute girls doing cute things series but I think k-on!! was this weird, wonderful mediation on growing up and leaving things behind

JulianImp

Oikura is a fantastic character but she's definitely not part of Araragi's harem. She straight up hated him and not even in a tsun tsun way lol.

I'd still put her in a category closer to the harem than, say, Gaen and Kagenui.

Also, having read part of the LNs that come after the latest anime season, I've got to say I can't wait for Owari part 2 for a variety of reasons (one of which is that I'll be able to understand everything that's going on rather than roughly half of it).

KraytarJ

K-ON! 4
The requisite beach episode with Mio losing control over the band while having to fight to actually play music at the school festival, they should have just done the maid cafe tbh. It's been a fun show so far, not the deepest thing I've seen but enjoyable nonetheless.

yami4ct

Just finished Big O. I had seen most of it but never really sat down and consumed the whole thing properly. Show is basically the perfect combination of shit I enjoy. Amazing dub too. Really fun watch from beginning to end.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
K-on! was definitely a cute girls doing cute things series but I think k-on!! was this weird, wonderful mediation on growing up and leaving things behind
Very mono no aware, some might say.

It's interesting thinking about the process of adaptation. S1 being the boring straight adaptation and S2 being one where they exercised some creativity.

Verelios

I'd still put her in a category closer to the harem than, say, Gaen and Kagenui.

Also, having read part of the LNs that come after the latest anime season, I've got to say I can't wait for Owari part 2 for a variety of reasons (one of which is that I'll be able to understand everything that's going on rather than roughly half of it).
That's the best part of the gatari series, when everything comes together and you're like 'oh'. I remember trying (and failing) to get through Nekomonagatari when it first came out, flipping back and forth because I thought I missed something. Suffice to say it was an interesting hook.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Well I was in the IRC, but I just kept forgetting to log into it. Line is easy to access at all times.

Twitter is a bit naff as a chatting outlet. Never actually tried Discord to be honest.

Oh and you forgot the elite of the elite: Miitomo.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Well I was in the IRC, but I just kept forgetting to log into it. Line is easy to access at all times.

Twitter is a bit naff as a chatting outlet. Never actually tried Discord to be honest.

Oh and you forgot the elite of the elite: Miitomo.
So many animal puns... I keep forgetting to do my daily coin thingies though. lol

I think a lot of Discord's use comes from people already using it for a game, and then being sucked into other communities or making new servers for games. I bet there's already a thriving Fire Emblem Heroes Discord server.

It's also the most portable option, working on the web, mobile apps, and dedicated desktop apps.

TheChaos0

Whenever I recommend the series to people, I pretty much tell them that it's weird to the point where I feel they'll either love it or hate it.

I still can't get over how weirdly creepy fanservicely Nise was. Ughh. So much I haven't watched anything after it. Bake was great. Kaiki himself was great.

Showa Rakugo Ep 1

Great stuff. Only took a few minutes to see that's going to be really good.

Mobile Suit Gundam Ep 1 (yes the original one)

The opening and ending themes aside, not a bad start to start the story...in fact I've seen it in the other Sunrise anime... The opening theme is just doesn't really suit the mood of the series.. I don't know. I remember Galaxy Express 999 having a perfectly good opening and ending themes and that show is even older!

Tonton

So what's the deal with YGO on crunchyroll is only what's labeled "Yu-Gi-Oh! Season 1 (Subtitled)" subbed and everything else is dub only?

Actually been feeling like watching it lately and just noticed they have it there

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom