• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Nintendoman has discovered his life up to this point was a lie. Everything he believed in was a load of hogwash and piffle.

But now he knows The Truth and is on his way to living a better, enlightened life. It takes a little while to adjust, but give him time and he'll be a much better person than he was before.

Welcome Brother Nintendoman.

Folks, I tell you, I've never been better. I'm fantastic.

I haven't finished studying watching The Laws of Eternity yet, as I had to go to bed earlier that night for personal reasons.

But I tell you I am awake now and here to continue forward on the brave path that is Happy Science.

Kemono no Souja Erin - 40

Whereas finally shit went down in episode 39, dealing with the aftermaths here resulted in surely one of my favorite episodes of this show.

rTv8IXm.jpg
c0QzOVU.jpg

That long dialogue between the two was excellent. Ial and Erin have been the two best developed characters and they tend to have great chemistry whenever put together on screen. As evident in this episode yet again, this anime really manages to sell Erin as a person who's capable of inspiring those around her.

Ahh...Kemono no Souja Erin can be so good, particularly when certain two individuals are absent. I feel reinvigorated finishing this now.

Nintendoman has discovered his life up to this point was a lie. Everything he believed in was a load of hogwash and piffle.

But now he knows The Truth and is on his way to living a better, enlightened life. It takes a little while to adjust, but give him time and he'll be a much better person than he was before.

Welcome Brother Nintendoman.

Did you visit them when you were in Japan? ;P

Saga of Tanya the Evil 1

Not really liking any design here so that may be a drop from me, but I did like the action, it looked cool and all.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Youjo Senki Episode 1:

Okay, who thought the chracter designs of the girls was acceptable especially given the design of literally everybody else? Anyway, this series is doing itself no favors coming in after last season's Izetta. Not quite a drop yet but the tolerance is thin.

sonicmj1

stop posting youjo senki, thanks

No.

Youjo Senki 1

Don't worry, everyone. I know what you might have been thinking, but this show has no relation to the real world. At all.
8LP5d1r.png
QwIXUUo.png

What's a Rhine?

Also, in terms of things I screencapped, the character design has some issues. I'm not opposed to some exaggerated character designs in general, but the problem here is that Tanya and her female subordinate Serebryakov both have massive, colorful eyes with thick lashes, while all the other (male) soldiers, including significant characters, have smaller, dark eyes. It really doesn't fit.

FeIaRqI.png

There aren't a lot of shots where both sorts of characters share the screen, so this is the most illustrative single screencap I could find.

Those things aside, the episode has a hell of a climax, with a good mix of overwhelming action animation, some clever tactics, and force of personality. It's able to sell the diminutive Tanya as someone the other characters would actually fear and respect, which given her character design is no simple task. My main concern is just that the whole thing feels like it's going to be unpleasant. From the grimdark aesthetic of endless trench warfare to the ruthless efficiency of Tanya's style of command (as well as the show's somewhat offputting Germany fetish), I don't think I'm going to want to spend time in this world with these characters.

Narag

After being busy for two days and TUSR robbing me of any chance to watch the most important show of winter on Tuesday what with his tardy thread creation, I'm finally free to anime myself.. To death.

duckroll

So Izetta was the Valkyria ripoff show with stupid designs that stole the best SAO animators, while Youjo is the Valkyria ripoff show with stupid designs that stole the best Death Parade animators right? Zzzzzzzzzz.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
So Izetta was the Valkyria ripoff show with stupid designs that stole the best SAO animators, while Youjo is the Valkyria ripoff show with stupid designs that stole the best Death Parade animators right? Zzzzzzzzzz.

That checks out mostly.

Is anything with a historical European war setting a Valkyria ripoff like how Firehawk thinks any villains wearing uniforms are Nazis?

Exalted

So is Fuuka worth the watch ? I read that it gets somewhat strange/different later on, but don't know in what way and if that is good or bad.

Narag

Ai Mai Mii: Surgical Friends 1

I don't think any show captured quite so well the frustration we experienced at TUSR's slow thread creation as each and every one of us was waiting to watch this as proper winter anime in a proper winter anime thread.

Good that I left Japan today so I can watch my Japanese animations in peace again.

Also lucky that I wasn't forced to go through the customs check so the cringeworthy moment of a guy in stylish Hugo Boss (Nazifetish? Must ask firehawk later) outfit having an Umi figurine in his back back didn't happen.

Mmhmm. Youjo Senki is the first production of brand-new studio Nut, which appears to have been founded by ex-Madhouse producer Takuya Tsunoki, who previously produced Chihayafuru and Death Billiards/Parade.

phaze

Ai Mai Mii: Surgical Friends 1

I don't think any show captured quite so well the frustration we experienced at TUSR's slow thread creation as each and every one of us was waiting to watch this as proper winter anime in a proper winter anime thread.

There are like, previous entries to this thing right ? Do I need to watch them or can I jump in here ?

The Anthem of the Heart

It's been a while since I've been so repulsed by a work on, say, conceptual level but the entire premise of the Naruse situation was just so off the kilter that it dragged the whole thing down unbearably for me. To have a kid shut herself down
on her own
for years on end and to the point she's physically hurting is just beyond my the ability of my suspension of disbelief to cope. On top of that the rest of writing was quite bad in places. There's this hilarious scene at the beginning where two members of the cheerleading team burst into this expeditionary talk on the situation of the baseball team but there's like, absolutely zero excuse for it to happen within the universe and it's so blatantly geared towards delivering information to the viewer you can't help but laugh cause it's just a stellar example of how not to do exposition. The writing in general has moments where it's about as subtle as a bag of brick falling down your face with terminal velocity. The characters repeatedly spew out what the movie is trying to convey and Mr Egg shows up to use Egg metaphors to describe MC's state. In addition to that you have the Okada melodrama bursting through at regular intervals, always at least a pitch too high, rarely if ever feeling earned.

To not sound so uniformly negative, there were things I enjoyed, the setting is pretty grounded, Takumi was alright and I liked what they did with the romance.
For once main girl doesn't win. My hopes for Nitou and Sakagami, the superior pair kept rising but it was still pretty shocking to see that conclusion. It's like making Toradora and not having Tora&Dora get together, truly groundbreaking.

On the visual side of things I thought this looked quite weak for a movie, there's probably more character animation then you would find in ordinary TV show but I feel Hibike for example blows it away comfortably in rest of the departments.

Bleh/10

Good that I left Japan today so I can watch my Japanese animations in peace again.

Also lucky that I wasn't forced to go through the customs check so the cringeworthy moment of a guy in stylish Hugo Boss (Nazifetish? Must ask firehawk later) outfit having an Umi figurine in his back back didn't happen.

Too bad you didn't win a Prisma Illya figure if you had been stopped :p

you left japan when kizu 3 came out?

Narag

There are like, previous entries to this thing right ? Do I need to watch them or can I jump in here ?

You can jump in here but the previous seasons are like 13 3-4 minute eps or so. Might be best to check out a couple of the first eps from the first season to see it's your thing or not.

Finished airing in Japan just a bit ago, but still no word from Crunchyroll. I assume they'll announce it later today, but I can't help but be a bit worried.

miles is coyly tweeting about more so I've faith it's coming

Mailbox

:/

I need to get back to watching xxxHolic but man its kinda boring (more to do with the budget mid 00's animation and art and the voice work doesn't do any favors). I had a bit of fun with the episode with the blue haired girl, and I do like the idea that most episodes don't really have a happy ending (even if some endings end up being kinda anticlimactic due to some of thee ambiguity). Does it get better later on?

There is so much I didn't watch last year :( I think before I actually deal with Rakugo, I need to deal with the rest. Rakugo just feels like this kinda wall of a show for some reason (similar to how I feel about Ping Pong (which I still haven't watched yet)) I keep hearing Izetta was crap, but I kinda wanna see for myself.

Narag

Nobunaga no Shinobi 14

New OP was kinda funny as one could totally see a sort of action show soul burning in it but since the color palette and character design is all super cutesy, it ended up as a delightfully playful juxtaposition of those elements.

phaze

You can jump in here but the previous seasons are like 13 3-4 minute eps or so. Might be best to check out a couple of the first eps from the first season to see it's your thing or not.

miles is coyly tweeting about more so I've faith it's coming

Gotcha. This is the Somera-chan guy right ? Think I'll be alright.

Cornbread78

Seiren ep.1
Well, that was something, I guess. more ecchiness than I thought it would be, but this could be interesting I guess. Something just didn't feel natural in the first episode, but this has potential to be entertaining at least.

Taruranto

I should start Yamato 2202 next. I heard it's like Battlestar Galatica
but good
and I really want to know the story behind that ass gif.

blurr

To have a kid shut herself down
on her own
for years on end and to the point she's physically hurting is just beyond my the ability of my suspension of disbelief to cope.

you'd be surprised, while Naruse might be a bit extreme, it's not entirely off the mark on self-abuse

Qurupeke

Welcome to NHK [END]

It's really rare to see a show that deals with so many problems that definitely affect a lot of young people, but they're sort of taboo. I'd say it actually managed to be quite scary at times, because no matter how over the top it turned, it felt real. I'd say that it was a bit inconsistent as a show, but just for this I have to praise it, it was a powerful experience.

I hoped for a more happy ending, but nonetheless it was good. Misaki's case wasn't as bad as I imagined, though Sato treated her really badly on the final few episodes and I can see why this led to her suicide attempt. Actually, I'd argue that was the case for most of the show... I mean, she wasn't his savior but still, she was a very important person that changed his life, and he really didn't acknowledge that.

Also, it's worth mentioning how good the music is. Artistically, it was a very interesting show and the music really elevates everything. The various delusions of the main character just wouldn't be the same without that song about dreams and conspiracies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom