• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thoraxes

so you were cheering for someone other the character that shares the same name as the manga?
It would've been cool if they could've subverted those expectations.

But yes, I know my folly.

Outside of two extremely rare occurrences in 2016, my losing streak average is pretty high.

Man I really don't like Toradora.

Why does it seem like the entire anime fanbase think its a good romance story when it is no different that Familiar of Zero or any other tsundere Kaguloli romance story.

Toradora is great. Not Clannad great, but pretty fantastic. It's a pretty fun watch too!

ugh... your great show list hurts :p.

well mostly the inclusion of shuffle. The others wouldn't be in my great romance lists at all either but I can at least get those ones.

personally I wouldn't even consider the romance in the other shows good, and that is while I consider the second season of clannad to be very good. the good has nothing to do with the romance though :p

for romance I tend to think more... nana or kimi ni todoke, or even nodame.

I wouldn't quite put toradora up with those though.. it's more good like honey and clover :p

Hey! Now wait just a--

Your forgiven. Carry on.

Both shows are victims of very manipulative emotional scenes.

But not as bad as that one show of the best friend girl who starts flipping out because her childhood friend doesn't wanna hang with her and she goes on a 5 minute rant over how he's a loser. That shit was gold.

I just, well, ya know, umm, idk, Nagisa x Tomoya 4 lyf!

I am with you! (Keep the ship afloat Cornbread!)

8qOEeny.gif

Even better, but can't post:
http://i.imgur.com/nb3ElyG.gifv

You're gonna make me... ;_;

Or work at KEY.

Whoa, whoa, whoa...

HELLO ANIMEGAF

HAVE YOU ALL HAD PURE THOUGHTS THIS MORNING?!? :D

This sounds like how I was after School Days broke me mentally for a few days.

Wanderer5

Blue Exorcist: Kyoto Saga #1

Dat opening. Bit sad that they cut out a little chunk with the train scene that had some amusing moments, but whatever, this is a good start to get the ball rolling.

Copper

Fuuka 1-2

I can already see where this is heading. I'll still watch anyways since it seemed interesting enough.

Cornbread78

There are winners in Fuuka?

Good luck avoiding spoilers with this one.

Is it really a spoiler if it has actually kept me interested in eventually coming back where without it I would have never looked back at the show?

It should be called an incentive

That's it, I'm banning myself from online until "it" airs.

Well, it was also said, unless they skip a bunch of chapters they probably won't get to it unless they announce a second season since the first episode only covered 2 chapters of the manga and still managed to skip some small, but "important" events that help establish that relationship that felt rushed to anime viewers.

This sounds like I was after School Days broke me mentally for a few days.

I don't know what you mean! I'm not broken at all! Far from it in fact!

Did you know that Thomas Edison is the God of Science and that he went through multiple reincarnations of past scientists and created PAPER?!?

sonicmj1

Man I really don't like Toradora.

Why does it seem like the entire anime fanbase think its a good romance story when it is no different that Familiar of Zero or any other tsundere Kaguloli romance story.

After episode 2, Taiga tones down the random violence a lot and actually develops into an interesting character.

I like Toradora a great deal. It's certainly better tha-

yeah it's actually fun to watch unlike clannad

Yeah, this. Toradora may be manipulative sometimes, but it doesn't remotely compare to how much Jun Maeda is willing to undermine for the sake of some cheap tears.

Szadek

Schoolgirl Strikers: Animation Channel - Ep. 1
Very generic and just not interesting in general.
Move along, there is nothing to see here.

Fuuka - Ep. 1
This was also quite generic,but at least Fuuka is kind of endearing.
I will watch a few more episode before I will most likely drop it.

If KEY had done Bladerunner, the final speech would have had a puppy drowning and a father slowly realizing he never loved his children enough as he broke down in tears and then a plane crashed on him

Both shows are victims of very manipulative emotional scenes.

But not as bad as that one show of the best friend girl who starts flipping out because her childhood friend doesn't wanna hang with her and she goes on a 5 minute rant over how he's a loser. That shit was gold.

I think any form of story tries to manipulate a person's feelings. Whether to rouse them up, get them angry, happy, sad, etc. The idea is to attach people to characters and have the audience empathize with their story.

As for the second sentence...you could be describing several shows... So...

icedragon08

Neo Member
They should have just used the LN or manga character design in Youjo Senki. They are 100 times better and don't feel that out of place. Everyone besides the 2 main characters looks good.

I don't know what you mean! I'm not broken at all! Far from it in fact!

Did you know that Thomas Edison is the God of Science and that he went through multiple reincarnations of past scientists and created PAPER?!?

Tell me more!

To be honest, and I always admitted this, the art really bugged me in the beginning. But I grew more fond of it as I kept watching. Of course I am talking about more than the character designs when I say Clannad is art. (I was also half kidding. I do think Clannad is a work of art, but I'm not as overzealous as I was trying to be there. And to be honest the character designs in the show are a huge step up from the game.)

If KEY had done Bladerunner, the final speech would have had a puppy drowning and a father slowly realizing he never loved his children enough as he broke down in tears and then a plane crashed on him

I laughed.

jman2050

You forgot the part where after the plane crashes Deckard ends up in a wormhole and it's revealed the father was Deckard's father all along and the whole movie was a simulation to connect him with his humanity and live a better life and then it turns out everything is fine and happy in the end.

sonicmj1

I think any form of story tries to manipulate a person's feelings. Whether to rouse them up, get them angry, happy, sad, etc. The idea is to attach people to characters and have the audience empathize with their story.

I mean, any work of fiction is some form of artifice. But for it to function, the audience (usually) has to accept it, and willingly "suspend their disbelief" so they can empathize with the characters as if they were actual people. In a puppet show (like Thunderbolt Fantasy!), on some level we know somebody's back there pulling the strings, but we pretend they're not, and the show presents itself in such a way as to encourage us to think this way.

With something like Clannad, the emotional climaxes of each arc felt so contrived to me that it was like I could see the puppet master taking center stage and arranging things just to try to provoke a reaction, and the obviousness of it all took me out of the moment. Only on rare occasions did the show's execution overcome Maeda's obvious manipulation.

Gonna need a precise definition of emotionally manipulative here

Not saying it isn't common, but I guess a better word to use in this situation is melodrama. Toradora isn't as bad about it, but I remember at least 1 or 2 scenes where they were going for the Anime Oscars.

Not to mention how I prepared myself in Clannad for more overtly sad shit that was there just to fuck with you. Like the cat arc.

Line_HTX

After being busy for two days and TUSR robbing me of any chance to watch the most important show of winter on Tuesday what with his tardy thread creation, I'm finally free to anime myself.. To death.

Narag and Friends is next week, I believe.

/XX/

Maruyama has also said on several occasions at this point that there's no-one working in the industry that he thinks is capable of complete The Dream Machine to a satisfactory standard, and that the amount of work that had been previously reported to have been done on the movie is generally over-estimated. It's probably a lost cause that people need to give up on at this point.
But, but "as long as I'm alive, I won't give up"...

... O.K., O.K., what you say is the sensible thing, sorry but I think I just need more time (an additional couple of years?) to process the inevitable.

Now that is a great use of some nice LINE stickers (that 'Otonari' himself made), unlike those a certain "Union Flag watcher" uses around these parts! :p

Line_HTX

I like how there was a mass panic that Crunchyroll wouldn't announce Rakugo S2, even though they already had S1. No reason to lose it when they never had an S2 of anything not simulcasted.

Cornbread78

Gonna need a precise definition of emotionally manipulative here

It's such a subjective thing there is no way to clearly define, yet it's thrown out there for anything that could be an "emotional" moment being a young parent and watching Clannad can be a completely different experience for some kid in their teens that has no conception of what "family" can mean to others.

Like, isn't this emotional "manipulative?" But wait, it's well regarded, right?

ZRdwXxi.gif

Each moment played in a show is different for everyone....

It's such a subjective thing there is no way to clearly define, yet it's thrown out there for anything that could be an "emotional" moment being a young parent and watching Clannad can be a completely different experience for some kid in their teens that has no conception of what "family" can mean to others.

Like, isn't this emotional "manipulative?" But wait, it's well regarded, right?

ZRdwXxi.gif

Each moment played in a show is different for everyone....

It felt earned though. Every scene in Clannad post-the thing was like trying to tug at your heart strings way too hard.

Though the girl saying they shouldn't bury daddy was a bit too much.

jman2050

Clannad as a work highlights many of Maeda's strengths as a writer. He can actually be really good at constructing the nuts and bolts of a narrative, makes good use of foreshadowing, and is willing to spend the time to establish characters in a way that makes them feel like they have lived and don't merely "exist", if that makes sense. And that serves him well depending on the story he's trying to tell. Also he can write good comedy every now and again!

Of course the fact that I can say these good things about him and still consider him a one-trick pony hack who should stick to writing music and leave stories to people who won't make me bang my head in the wall in frustration shows how badly I think his flaws permeate everything he's written. I say if you want to experience KEY without most of that baggage just read Rewrite and be done with it.

So from what I am reading the new Blue Exorcist recaps the stuff from the first season? Cuz I barely remember anything from back then.

Also stoked for Seiren.

Speaking of KEY, what was that recent KEY show called again? Carmen? I loved how the final episode's time skip could have been an entire season. And a better one at that.

Cornbread78

It felt earned though. Every scene in Clannad post-the thing was like trying to tug at your heart strings way too hard.

Though the girl saying they shouldn't bury daddy was a bit too much.

Clannad spend a season and a half on character development so you had full understanding from each character's perspective on how important they were to each other, how is that unearned?

I would LOVE to see more character development like that in shows... Far too many shows spend 1 or 2 episodes to get to know the characters and that's it...

Cornbread78

Speaking of KEY, what was that recent KEY show called again? Carmen? I loved how the final episode's time skip could have been an entire season. And a better one at that.

Don't get me started on how they fu(ked up Charlotte. The show could have been sooo much better if they actually made it 24 episodes instead of squashing it into 13.... (same issue he had with Angel Beats, even though he said he "learned his lesson" from that mistake)

I still really liked Charlotte though.

qtLhd5E.jpg

I mean, any work of fiction is some form of artifice. But for it to function, the audience (usually) has to accept it, and willingly "suspend their disbelief" so they can empathize with the characters as if they were actual people. In a puppet show (like Thunderbolt Fantasy!), on some level we know somebody's back there pulling the strings, but we pretend they're not, and the show presents itself in such a way as to encourage us to think this way.

With something like Clannad, the emotional climaxes of each arc felt so contrived to me that it was like I could see the puppet master taking center stage and arranging things just to try to provoke a reaction, and the obviousness of it all took me out of the moment. Only on rare occasions did the show's execution overcome Maeda's obvious manipulation.

Well, that sucks you feel that way. While there is only one occasion where I felt that way (Kotomi's arc), I felt for the most part that the story felt pretty organic even if it was melodramatic at times. The core arc of the series is especially strong as is were I derive most of my enjoyment from the series.

Not saying it isn't common, but I guess a better word to use in this situation is melodrama. Toradora isn't as bad about it, but I remember at least 1 or 2 scenes where they were going for the Anime Oscars.

Not to mention how I prepared myself in Clannad for more overtly sad shit that was there just to fuck with you. Like the cat arc.

I can accept that. I was very green going into Clannad, so I wasn't prepared for any of it. I had no expectation. No, I had a negative impression because of my knee-jerk reaction to the cover art and character designs. I didn't learn my lesson about judging something by its cover. I don't agree the notion it's unique in manipulating the viewer. I'll agree to the fact it's melodramatic at times.

Narag

The Great Passage 1

Far drier than I expected despite people hinting at it being so. I can also see why people were put off by the act of dictionary making on a superficial level but can't help but think they didn't appreciate the passion behind the art.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom