• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Molotov

I'm sure you are aware but Eathsea isn't that great. 1st half is pretty good and the 2nd half is a bit of a mess. Hmm, I should replace some of my Ghibli DVDs with Blurays, I got the newer ones on Bluray but not the earlier titles.

Yeah, it's extra disappointing because I loved the book when I was in high school. I'd only buy it for completest sake.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
So is Kyo-Ani's publisher fucking with the prices of Maid Dragon like they did with Nichijou? Just wondering how I should compare the preorder/sale prices.

Right now Maid Dragon is doing very bad when it comes to expected sales.

jbug617

Banned
CR announced they have over a million paid subscribers now.
http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-ne...scribers-details-daily-giveaways-to-celebrate

Crunchyroll, Inc., the leading global destination and platform for anime and manga, has officially surpassed over one million paid subscribers and over 20 million registered users. One of the largest subscription video services, Crunchyroll achieved record growth in 2016, charting a 36 percent increase in paid subscribers in the last 12 months.

Crunchyroll’s passionate fan base currently streams over 1.5 billion minutes of anime per month and is distributed on more than 1 billion devices around the globe. Available in every single country in the world, Crunchyroll has played a key role in the expansion of anime across a global audience.

Pokemon Sun and Moon 14

C4POMOAWQAIFEhS.jpg
C4POd_5WcAEWvOg.jpg

Bewear only has two settings - Nicest guy you'll ever meet and twisted fucking psychopath

Team Rocket scenes are hilarious because Mimikyu is just waddling around in the foreground and background doing fuck all and ignores all orders unless Pikachu is there so he can go into hatred mode

"the kind of mediocre Goku son"

I'm dropping super

You think Gohan stans would be used to taking so many L's

Pokemon Sun and Moon 14

Team Rocket scenes are hilarious because Mimikyu is just waddling around in the foreground and background doing fuck all and ignores all orders unless Pikachu is there so he can go into hatred mode

You think Gohan stans would be used to taking so many L's
I'm pretty convinced the reason why Bewear hasn't ever been caught by Team Rocket is because the staff wants to make it clear that Bewear is at the top of this Hierarchy lol. Bewear isn't Team Rocket's pokemon, Team Rocket are Bewear's humans.

sonicmj1

So is Kyo-Ani's publisher fucking with the prices of Maid Dragon like they did with Nichijou? Just wondering how I should compare the preorder/sale prices.

On an entirely unrelated note, the Sakugabooru blog posted the second part of their series about how foreign fans misread the domestic anime market. If you missed the first part, it's here.

"I like my men like I like my tea: getting the first sip."

What does that mean?

Well it's a yuri series right?

Don't those usually do bad sales wise? When was the last really successful yuri series?

jonjonaug

"I like my men like I like my tea: getting the first sip."

What does that mean?

Well it's a yuri series right?

Don't those usually do bad sales wise? When was the last really successful yuri series?

Straight up yuri anime doesn't sell.

Shows with gay characters like Madoka Magica can sell and yuri-bait like Yuru Yuri can sell, but "real" yuri focused shows don't sell.

EDIT: Closest thing I can think of to something I would legitimately consider focusing on lesbian relationships that was also financially successful (I think) would be Revolutionary Girl Utena.

Tonton

yeah that bothered me too

they should have said "the completely useless"
I can't even argue against that that's exactly what he is in this series

This Krillin and Goku training arc was ok

I also like this new ED's visuals but I think I liked the previous song better

OK this new OP is legit

phaze

Jojo's Diamond is Unbreakable 39 END

025582tzsng.jpg

Truly the master.

Thought this was mostly passable logic wise. There's certainly stuff I could latch onto but it's mostly minor compared to the Dio fight. Bites the Dust was kind of awfully random ability and I don't quite get
how it revived Hayato in the bathroom
but whatevs, it turned out pretty irrelevant anyway.

My bigger charge would be that the second part of the fight could be quite dull at times due to the usual overtalkiness of characters that need to spell out absolutely everything for you and it being a projectile shootout. Kira also never felt threatening at this stage, I guess this is kind of part of his character but still ...

Anyway, good riddance, Araki still a hack that didn't even do anything with Okuyasu's dad or that other Chekhov gun etc.

KraytarJ

Masamune-kun 6
This show is really hurt by Scum's Wish also being this season imo, I was initially impressed by it being a fresh take on high school romance but it's really coming back down to earth for me. The actual episode featured very little Aki, and while Masamune trying Fujinomya's line was great, her absence showed. The insane main plot is giving way to some lame love triangle, that while it does have some peculiarities, just isn't super compelling. And from what I'm hearing about some people's complaints about the source material, it's maybe heading down an unfortunate road.

Line_HTX

Shows with gay characters like Madoka Magica can sell and yuri-bait like Yuru Yuri can sell, but "real" yuri focused shows don't sell.

EDIT: Closest thing I can think of to something I would legitimately consider focusing on lesbian relationships that was also financially successful (I think) would be Revolutionary Girl Utena.

Boo, that's unfortunate. Wish there were more focused serious with actual yuri relationships instead of just bait.

Six more episodes of Cowboy Bebop left. Instead of giving episode by episode impressions I'll give full impressions once I reach the end.

As for other shows...

Konosuba S2 05

This show man. I don't understand how it keeps one-upping its comedy every week but it finds a way. Another great episode. XD

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world

Just for the record Dragon Maid obviously targets a male audience, and Yuru Yuri has at least some history of running in magazines primarily aimed at women.

Quasar

Masamune-kun 6
This show is really hurt by Scum's Wish also being this season imo, I was initially impressed by it being a fresh take on high school romance but it's really coming back down to earth for me. The actual episode featured very little Aki, and while Masamune trying Fujinomya's line was great, her absence showed. The insane main plot is giving way to some lame love triangle, that while it does have some peculiarities, just isn't super compelling. And from what I'm hearing about some people's complaints about the source material, it's maybe heading down an unfortunate road.

Though I'm enjoying Masamune more, as its not so train wreckish.

zulux21

My best guess is, Sentai Filmworks still technically has the the License to the original series (aka the first 201 episodes) and the movie.

that might be possible, but if they do it can't be for much longer as we already know the first 52 episodes are being dubbed in canada from a report a month or two before crunchy announced that they were doing anything from gintama.

Alright Nintendoman... now I am getting worried about you finishing our watchbet. So far you did Hyouka, but never got around to Chihiyafuru and Your Lie in April.

I'll...

Jesus...

I'll...ALSO f***ing finish G Gundam... *barf*... if you just finish it. :p

Edit: TL;DR that would've been four shows I do for you under this watchbet. Lol

don't worry about it... wait until halloween to watch it as it is by far the best time to watch the solid(in quality) bebop movie.

I am getting conflicting information here. Lol. Do I watch it before I finish or during another point? Did I already mess up?

zulux21

I am getting conflicting information here. Lol. Do I watch it before I finish or during another point? Did I already mess up?

the movie takes place before the end of the series, but has no plot that effects the main series.

so you can slot it in during your watch, or you can just wait and watch it around halloween when it is best viewed since it is a halloween movie :p

phaze

Alright Nintendoman... now I am getting worried about you finishing our watchbet. So far you did Hyouka, but never got around to Chihiyafuru and Your Lie in April.

I'll...

Jesus...

Don't succumb to plain extortion!

KING OF THE BRAVES GAOGAIGAR Episode 42

When will J and Gai just become friends like Mamoru and Kaido :(, plus Gai always ends up just worrying about J anyway.

ChoRyuJin being revived after 65 mln years, how even. Mamoru is the best god ever.

KraytarJ

K-ON! 9
The club of hedonism is forced to confront their work ethic problems and, with some resistance along the way, they just lean into it really well tbh. I'd say that was the strongest episode of the series so far, definitely helped by the too-cute-kouhai-oh-wait-she's-actually-a-total-narc Azusa (sorry, Azunyan). Having a character like that around was great for Ritsu and especially Yui, who I might actually like now? It's weird, to bounce off of to great effect.

Conan-san

I'm pretty convinced the reason why Bewear hasn't ever been caught by Team Rocket is because the staff wants to make it clear that Bewear is at the top of this Hierarchy lol. Bewear isn't Team Rocket's pokemon, Team Rocket are Bewear's humans.

I'm sort of convinced that's Lusimine's Bewear and she's already on top of the whole "Team Rocket fuck over the local team gag"

I'll...

Jesus...

It's not really though. I failed to finish G Gundam during my watchbet with Corvo. So this is more trying to encourage him to watch some of the watchbet shows while also finishing something I promised to watch.

I WILL get back to YLIA and Chihiyafuru eventually. I've stopped taking any further watchbets until I do. Don't worry. :)

Also, you don't have to finish G Gundam if you really don't want to. If you didn't like it about 30 episodes in, you're probably not going to like the rest. If it's not for you it's not for you. Don't force yourself.

I WILL get back to YLIA and Chihiyafuru eventually. I've stopped taking any further watchbets until I do. Don't worry. :)

Also, you don't have to finish G Gundam if you really don't want to. If you didn't like it about 30 episodes in, you're probably not going to like the rest. If it's not for you it's not for you. Don't force yourself.

What example would I be setting for future watchbets if I don't finish one of my first ones with G Gundam? Dunno. Maybe I can get my roommate to watch with me so at least he can derive enjoyment from my pain. :p

I actually feel really bad about it. I really should finish it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom