• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narag

Samurai X: Trust and Betrayal -Ep. 1-4
This kind of story isn't exactly my cup of tea, but I still think that it was pretty fucking good.
If you are at all interested in historical samurai fiction, you should definently watch it.
It should be mandatory watching for any anime fan especially for when it comes to how a good adaptation can elevate a work.

Daisuki finally added more Beyblade Burst...but they removed the first three episodes. Odd strategy for streaming.

Beyblade Burst Episode 4
C4qgY8HWMAAz1Vh.jpg:small

Best way of sleeping, lol.

Ken is hilarious, Im glad we have a character like him in the show. So different from the cast of the usual types (hyperactive go getter Valt, the hardcore powerful, though seemingly talkative and friendly Shu). Ken makes the best faces after being put in different social situations than he is used to.
C4qj0GWWEAACDIv.jpg:small
C4qkgEXXAAAGum7.jpg:small

Still didnt understand what took more preference, a Burst Finish or just being blown out of the stage.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I was under the impression AO was terrible and not the best?

John Wick 2 is more like the Fury Road of gun combat

I have a hard time believing John Wick 2 could be as bad/disappointing as AO.

Watching AO is like standing next to a smoker and just inhaling secondhand smoke all the time.

You could cut the first hour from the film and lose nothing. I shouldn't be bored when I go into a movie that is a sequel to the most exciting action film in a while.

I'm honesty surprise. Aniplex has been keeping everything under their umbrella lately so I was expecting them to charge their crack prices for the Blu-rays.
Funimation getting it instead of aniplex was the best of news honestly. Hopefully they will put out a nice collector edition like sentai did for Knight of Sidonia.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'm fortunate that everything Aniplex has put out lately that I have any interest in has either hit TOONAMI, Netflix, or both so I don't have to buy it.

I might give in one day and buy Kill la Kill just to have that excellent dub again.

I'm fortunate that everything Aniplex has put out lately that I have any interest in has either hit TOONAMI, Netflix, or both so I don't have to buy it.

I might give in one day and buy Kill la Kill just to have that excellent dub again.
They better put that Kill la Kill dub on netflix or CR eventually. I have been waiting to watch it because I want to watch it dub :/

Clov

I really wonder why the licensed out a series they already dubbed with netflix to funimation to release.

I mean I am not going to complain. it means I won't have to import it since it will actually get a release in north america* but still is weird.

*I don't consider any series aniplex of america releases to be released in north america cause I will never buy it.

First, I'm pretty sure that Seven Deadly Sins has its international rights owned by Kodansha; their logo appears on some European releases of the series, if I'm remembering right. I don't believe that Aniplex of Japan licensed it to Funimation, and that would go against recent behavior we've seen from them.

Second, regarding the bolded, that's just... ignoring reality. Which you're free to do so, of course, but you're just wrong. Like, Sentai gave Penguindrum a garbage release which I'll never buy, but I still know that they released it in North America. That's just the truth of the matter. :p

Thud

I really wanted to like this series, but it got kind of boring for me after the first arc ended and it was apparent it'd be the same thing all over again for the second arc. I was expecting some kind of progression other than
him still ending up with a huge debt and being forced to participate in the next gambling tournament

I dropped it because I couldn't handle the bridge scene back then. There's only way to go.

Cornbread78

There's no outright confession of love, if that's what you're looking for, but they definetly grow a lot closer.
There's genuine, slow-paced, very human moments regarding the two of them in The Second Raid, they may not outright say "I love you", but they don't need to, as their actions together speak louder than words.

Hmm. Might have to finish at sone point. They were insufferable towards the end of S1 at times.

zulux21

Second, regarding the bolded, that's just... ignoring reality. Which you're free to do so, of course, but you're just wrong. Like, Sentai gave Penguindrum a garbage release which I'll never buy, but I still know that they released it in North America. That's just the truth of the matter. :p

:p
nope aniplex doesn't release any titles in north america, I just have to import them from Europe and Australia.

I'm up to like 15 imported series now. yay :p

still hoping sword art online goes on sale for cheap somewhere sometime.
I'd like to pay like $50 per season at most :(

Beyblade Episode 18 (engdub)[/B]

Silly episode unless they are going to have Riley come back later to be someone that the Bladebreakers will end up facing. I just wanted to get to America tournament already.

You could cut the first hour from the film and lose nothing. I shouldn't be bored when I go into a movie that is a sequel to the most exciting action film in a while.

Wouldn't you lose anyone's motivation for why they did anything after the first hour?

And I wasn't keeping track, but I think
the tunnel shootout and the knife fight with common happens in the first hour
, but I'm probably wrong.

duckroll

It's been almost ten years, but I'm still waiting for an action movie to make me feel the way I felt watching Sword of the Stranger. I guess Mad Max Fury Road is close, but it's not exactly the same thing.

zulux21

It's been almost ten years, but I'm still waiting for an action movie to make me feel the way I felt watching Sword of the Stranger. I guess Mad Max Fury Road is close, but it's not exactly the same thing.

good thing you already have tickets to the action movie of the century next month :p

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Can I ship Keanu Reeves and John Leguizamo?

Asking for a friend.
Sure, they're shippable!

The filming of the car scene was incredible. Watching the behind the scenes is still exciting.
The one sequence in JW is perhaps technically as interesting, if you consider the problem of actually shooting the sequence in the space... but it's definitely not as thrilling.

Wouldn't you lose anyone's motivation for why they did anything after the first hour?

And I wasn't keeping track, but I think
the tunnel shootout and the knife fight with common happens in the first hour
, but I'm probably wrong.
So... I guess JW2 is better than The Raid 2 inasmuch as The Raid 2's story was so pointless it actively got in the way of the action sequences. But if you aren't invested in the fictional assassin world of the first film, then you'll find a lot of that world building to be pretty dull. If you think the coins and the hotel and all that stuff was the bees knees, then perhaps you'd get a lot more out of the non-shooty bits of the film.

I dont really give a shit about the mythos of the John Wick world (its cool enough to hold the movie) but the ending sequences made it matter, they were cool as hell

Dai-Guard #17 I'd Like to Sleep as if Dreaming

A heterodyme as big as a city is impressive, though I guess it strongly implies that the end of the anime wont be one in which the origin and end of the heterodyme threat will be explored? Sad.

Akagi and co need to return to the Daiguard. Saiki crew is terrible.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I dont really give a shit about the mythos of the John Wick world (its cool enough to hold the movie) but the ending sequences made it matter, they were cool as hell
It's funny, to bring it to anime, it's the opposite of what I want out of a shounen show. I just want 2 hours of people being shot in the face.

never asked, is john wick 2 good? I'm assuming it's good just not as good as the first.
If I could do it over again, I'd probably wait for someone to just upload the cool bits to Youtube, as someone inevitably always does.

I almost did the stupid thing and paid extra for Dbox, but that would have been such a waste of money. lol

zulux21

sweet. I can finally stop bothering Ann from Pied Pipper to rescue it :p
Is Gosick any good?

it's not amazing (aka a 10/10) but it's a fun series that does little wrong with a number of good episodes (aka I gave it a 9/10 :p).

I hate that I have to worry about this... but I really hope that funimation dubs it.
I can't think of a ton of reason why they won't, but they are skipping dubs on some of their recent older anime rescues like ninjajou or whatever it's called that recently came out :p

Is Gosick any good?

The start is rather slow and is effectively mystery of the week format and establishing the relationships between the main characters of the story until about halfway through then it turns into an almost entirely different kind of show.

I honestly enjoyed it and it is probably my favorite detective style anime.

Fox318

Anime Catch Up Post

Yuri on Ice 1-5

Really love the animation here. The color palette is really warm and adds a level of humanity that unfortunately isn't duplicated enough. Reminds me of Natsume's Book of Friends for some reason.

Also I honestly thought this was gonna be a show about lesbians on ice. I can never tell with sports anime in Japan of the homoerotic overtones are intentional or not.

Than again it is men's figure skating and it's interesting to get a look at a sport and culture that isn't given a platform outside of the Olympics.

Yowamushi Pedal New generation 1-6

The cgi is way better than it was in the first series. I think they have learned to hide the awkward angles. So far jack shit story line has happened and this was around the part in the manga where I lapsed so it will be interesting to see what happens next in the story,

Momokuri 1-8

This is a fun little watch so far. Nothing to deep and I like how you get both the make and female perspective on their relationship. I feel like it isn't as common as it should be. Fun little shojo series.

Haikyu!! 3rd season

Once again the animation is top notch. They really captured the vibe of the manga and the franitic pace of team vollyball.

All Out 1-18

I've been laughing at this one with just how blatant of a rip off of Haikyu!! it is. Its really campy and has been an easy watch.

Also everyone has freakish quads just like real life rugby players.

Masamume-kuns Revenge 1-4

I like the premise. It takes the harem rom com formula and mixes it up a bit. I was enjoying the fact that we didn't have protagonist amnesia as an excuse to not remember a girl when all of a sudden it appears that trope has been fulfilled.

Jarmel

Banned
Wick 2 is a vastly better action movie than the first, the difference is so wide that it's really not up for debate.

Wick 1 does do some things better, pretty much exclusively on the motivation side, but action-wise Wick 2 blows it out of the water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom