• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qurupeke

The Eccentric Family [END]
DG3NPB3.png
Absolutely crazy finale. The last two episodes were a fantastic ride, with every sense of the word. Despite the serious situation, the show didn't lose its fun factor and the result was highly entertaining. The series reminded me a lot of Kyousougiga, which had left me with mixed feelings on the finale, but this one didn't disappoint me at all.
I kind of feel bad for the Professor, but I loved it when he became the trigger for Master's explosion. And this was honestly just the cherry on top of the cake. I was expecting a very typical, "family crisis" finale but the show kept surprising me.

I hoped they'd expand some of the plot points more, but fortunately Season 2 is coming rather soon. On that, I'm not completely sure what's up with Kaisei and why she remains hidden.
And she seems awfully young, I thought she was around Yasaburo's age but this doesn't seem to be the case, based on the final shot of her. And this makes the fact that Yajirou loved her quite disturbing...

Oh man, Puruzi clued me in on the rocky shit around Tsugumomo's anime adaptation and after looking into it and watching the PV, holy shit am I crestfallen.

I am...not looking forward to watching the anime and seeing it deliver a complete hackjob.

Aikidoka

Stated Code Geass and there are parts of it that I really enjoy. The biggest factor on whether this is going to be a great anime for me is what happens with Suzaku. Currently, Suzaku has got to be the dumbest character ever. Who the fuck really is going to say "the right way to overthrow the Nazi regime is to become a secret police member and change it from the inside"?? My hope is that he serves to act as a font for the gut reactions of the general anime watcher and, over time, he learns that he's being really naive. My fear is that he's just the de-facto main character/hero of the story.

I finished the VN about a month ago and while I loved most of it the Luka stuff was pretty rough at points. After finishing it I have a slightly more positive look on how her character was handled but idk the whole reason Luka wants to be a girl is a little disconcerting tbh. It's tough; especially for Japanese works that tend to handle things like this for comedy, which Luka definitely was at points.

Yeah, centering their drive on the main character didn't make any sense. Especially, since it's pretty clear that Ruka was presenting and going through trauma before Okabe entered the scene.

Oh man, Puruzi clued me in on the rocky shit around Tsugumomo's anime adaptation and after looking into it and watching the PV, holy shit am I crestfallen.

I am...not looking forward to watching the anime and seeing it deliver a complete hackjob.
Not even remotely doing the manga's art justice not to mention the manga is lewd af so there will be lightbeams and steam everywhere.

EDIT: and yes I know this applies to a lot of anime adaptations of manga but it doesn't mean I can't be disappointed.

Funimation got 7taizai

Funimation is excited to announce our latest acquisition—Seven Deadly Sins! What does this sin-sational news mean? We have acquired the home video distribution rights and will be releasing the entire first season on home video later this year in the US & Canada. Pre-orders will be coming soon so keep an eye out for your chance to bring this hit series home!

---
I can finally watch it since I dont netflix.

pbayne

Gintama looking shoinkier every week

Gundam getting kinda dumb. I just find McGillis really uninteresting, they waited far far too long to really start pushing him now. Show has far too many interchangeable characters atm, get Tomino in to kill some off the dead weight.

Fucking Sunrise.

Funimation got 7taizai

Funimation is excited to announce our latest acquisition—Seven Deadly Sins! What does this sin-sational news mean? We have acquired the home video distribution rights and will be releasing the entire first season on home video later this year in the US & Canada. Pre-orders will be coming soon so keep an eye out for your chance to bring this hit series home!

---
Nice! I will so buy this.

Not even remotely doing the manga's art justice not to mention the manga is lewd af so there will be lightbeams and steam everywhere.

EDIT: and yes I know this applies to a lot of anime adaptations of manga but it doesn't mean I can't be disappointed.

Tsugumomo has extremely kinetic fights and detail on musculature and shit so it would need a good team to even have a chance

not to mention lightbeam spam

Tsugumomo has extremely kinetic fights and detail on musculature and shit so it would need a good team to even have a chance

not to mention lightbeam spam

Yeah, and the team does not look like their strengths are kinetic fights.

If they're lightbeaming shit though maybe that means they won't spend their entire sasuga budget on labias.

Kemono Friends - 6

Was about to remark how this episode was similar to last week's in that it was mostly innocence without an underlying subtext of sadness throughout the running time.

But then a specific line was uttered. Can't wait for next week.

zulux21

Funimation got 7taizai

---

that is just really odd to me since netflix already dubbed it.
but it's cool since I would like to own it as aside from the horrible sexual harassment
by the main character, it's a solid series.

Quasar

The Eccentric Family 3-8

I have to say, for such a goofy premise, the tanuki father's story got pretty heavy. I think this is exactly the reason I enjoy this show though. It blends fantasies, over the top family feuds and funny quirks with good character who actually have much more depth than I thought. Episode 8 was just beautiful.

Glad you like it. It was my favourite show of the year it came out. So I'm so happy to hear a sequel got written. Really wish the books were available.

Just finished the arcs that introduced Kyubei and and Sogo's sister. The feels from both of them. I have to give Sorachi props for being able to write a series as funny as this while still being able to pull at the heartstrings when he needs to.

Qurupeke

Full Metal Panic! 1-2

I hope it gets better eventually because I didn't sign up for this. It gives me flashbacks of all the dumb school episodes in Code Geass. Anyway, I don't understand why Chidori hasn't filed a stalking injunction yet or why a military organization thought it was a good idea to use a huge, invisible robot on a populated area...

Joe Molotov

Full Metal Panic! 1-2

I hope it gets better eventually because I didn't sign up for this. It gives me flashbacks of all the dumb school episodes in Code Geass. Anyway, I don't understand why Chidori hasn't filed a stalking injunction yet or why a military organization thought it was a good idea to use a huge, invisible robot on a populated area...

Okay you've seen enough FMP, now skip the rest of Season 1 and watch Fumoffu.

Full Metal Panic! 1-2

It definitely gets a lot better. The comedy vastly improves as the show goes on, and you'll start to see a lot more serious MGS-esque stuff as well.

Also the huge invisible robot makes sense when you realize who their opponents are and what they can do.

Cornbread78

Full Metal Panic! 1-2

Thanks for reminding me I still need to finish the last couple episodes of S1. I just lost interest in the main protag and Chidori crap going on at that point.

Sosuke and Chidori's relationship is great. It's a kind of relationship you really don't see often in high-school romance anime settings.

It especially gets even better in The Second Raid, where you see just how much of an impact he has on Chidori's life and how much she has on his.

He's completely unfamiliar with the reality of high-school life given his background and it's Chidori who basically keeps him on a leash as she gets to know him more. It paves the way for the great comedic situations in Fumoffu and the fantastic drama in The Second Raid.

TheChaos0

Showa Rakugo EP 8

Oh. Oh. OH. I see, poor Bon...No wonder the relationship flipped so suddenly.

Stated Code Geass and there are parts of it that I really enjoy. The biggest factor on whether this is going to be a great anime for me is what happens with Suzaku. Currently, Suzaku has got to be the dumbest character ever. Who the fuck really is going to say "the right way to overthrow the Nazi regime is to become a secret police member and change it from the inside"?? My hope is that he serves to act as a font for the gut reactions of the general anime watcher and, over time, he learns that he's being really naive. My fear is that he's just the de-facto main character/hero of the story.

Yeah, centering their drive on the main character didn't make any sense. Especially, since it's pretty clear that Ruka was presenting and going through trauma before Okabe entered the scene.

Welcome to the train wreck. A really enjoyable one but a train wreck nonetheless!

Sosuke and Chidori's relationship is great. It's a kind of relationship you really don't see often in high-school romance anime settings.

It especially gets even better in The Second Raid, where you see just how much of an impact he has on Chidori's life and how much she has on his.

He's completely unfamiliar with the reality of high-school life given his background and it's Chidori who basically keeps him on a leash as she gets to know him more. It paves the way for the great comedic situations in Fumoffu and the fantastic drama in The Second Raid.

Mondai nai!

Actually, never watched Second Raid. Don't know why, I enjoyed the series quite a bit. Chidori and Sousuke were just a good pair, they were just so difficulty and yet they complemented each other very well.

Pundere

Doing the entire arc in one go this time. Also doing it as a list because fuck consistency.

Pros
-Short hair Hanekawa is very strong.
-Generally better looking. Bake had a sort of blurriness to it that's not present here.
-Araragi teasing Kanbaru about not being a pervert.
-Senjyogahara being bullied by Hanekawa
-An actual villain!
-Short hair Hanekawa is VERY strong.

Cons
-Don't particularly like Karen as a character.
-Senjyogahara being played up as more of a yandere is less fun than her as a tsundere
-Feels like there's way more of a focus on fanservice. Did we really need at 15 minute long bath scene with the majority of the shots focused on a naked 8 year old? I get its all exposition but come on.

Cat > Crab

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Funimation got 7taizai

---

Someone get this DTL a netflix.

Cornbread78

So they actually get along in the second season? ?

So they actually get along in the second season? ?

There's no outright confession of love, if that's what you're looking for, but they definetly grow a lot closer.

There's genuine, slow-paced, very human moments regarding the two of them in The Second Raid, they may not outright say "I love you", but they don't need to, as their actions together speak louder than words.

JulianImp

Kaiji 1-9

ざわざわ

I really wanted to like this series, but it got kind of boring for me after the first arc ended and it was apparent it'd be the same thing all over again for the second arc. I was expecting some kind of progression other than
him still ending up with a huge debt and being forced to participate in the next gambling tournament

TheChaos0

Doing the entire arc in one go this time. Also doing it as a list because fuck consistency.

Pros
-Short hair Hanekawa is very strong.
-Generally better looking. Bake had a sort of blurriness to it that's not present here.
-Araragi teasing Kanbaru about not being a pervert.
-Senjyogahara being bullied by Hanekawa
-An actual villain!
-Short hair Hanekawa is VERY strong.

Cons
-Don't particularly like Karen as a character.
-Senjyogahara being played up as more of a yandere is less fun than her as a tsundere
-Feels like there's way more of a focus on fanservice. Did we really need at 15 minute long bath scene with the majority of the shots focused on a naked 8 year old? I get its all exposition but come on.

Cat > Crab

Nisemono is just shit...Kaiki aside...;)

I really wanted to like this series, but it got kind of boring for me after the first arc ended and it was apparent it'd be the same thing all over again for the second arc. I was expecting some kind of progression other than
him still ending up with a huge debt and being forced to participate in the next gambling tournament

To me the only boring thing was the last arc because instead of relying on some strategy it's 80% about luck. Plus it was waaay tooooo looooonggg draaaaawwwwwnnnn.

Szadek

Samurai X: Trust and Betrayal -Ep. 1-4
This kind of story isn't exactly my cup of tea, but I still think that it was pretty fucking good.
If you are at all interested in historical samurai fiction, you should definently watch it.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
ACCA Episode 6:

The slow burn continues but at least everything felt on topic this week which is a massive improvement.

zulux21

I'm honesty surprise. Aniplex has been keeping everything under their umbrella lately so I was expecting them to charge their crack prices for the Blu-rays.

I really wonder why the licensed out a series they already dubbed with netflix to funimation to release.

I mean I am not going to complain. it means I won't have to import it since it will actually get a release in north america* but still is weird.

*I don't consider any series aniplex of america releases to be released in north america cause I will never buy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom