• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.
Naruto Shippuden Season 17, Episode 492: Shikamaru’s Story, A Cloud Drifting in the Silent Dark, Part 4: Cloud of Suspicion
C4rBLM8XUAAs-e6.jpg:small

Now Im just picturing Sai feeling all abandoned and lost once Sasuke came back. Poor Sakura and Naruto just forgot about him and now with no team to belong to he defected to Gengo :( Worst yet he is still just waiting for Naruto to acknowledge him. Poor Sai.

I wonder what his explanation will be for why he is even here.

jbug617

Banned
OK so I'm about 10 episodes into Haikyuu now and I'm just thinking it's ok. Like, it's not bad, but it's also not really grabbing my attention.

Are you fan of sports shows? I think you should keep watching but if you don't get hooked by the end of S1, I think you probably won't like the other seasons.

zulux21

OK so I'm about 10 episodes into Haikyuu now and I'm just thinking it's ok. Like, it's not bad, but it's also not really grabbing my attention.

sounds about right.
it's an average sports show with an average cast and great animation.

I still haven't a clue why it blew up when there are so many better sports anime *shrugs*

here's hoping we will eventually get a new Ippo season.

Satania Dropout 06

Good ep. about the only good character in the show. Was getting close to dropping, but I may keep watching if they focus on her like this.

Quasar

ACCA 13 - 6 - Another episode that I really enjoyed. Just that it really does not feel like a 13 episode show. With the manga complete and only 6 volumes hope that means we get it complete.

Hopefully production I.G ace the Welcome to the Ballroom anime and makes it into one of the best sports anime out there. The material is there for that.

Are you fan of sports shows? I think you should keep watching but if you don't get hooked by the end of S1, I think you probably won't like the other seasons.

Sports anime is definitely hit or miss for me. In general, I'm not the biggest fan of Slice of Life animes and that's the tone I've kind of picked up here so far. I probably will keep going til the end of Season 1 and see how I'll feel about it.

Masamune Episode 5

Everytime the scene with the boys in the classroom happen I always wonder what this would have been like if it was in an all boys highschool.

Pool scene with the bucket was hilarious. Kind of wish it didnt lead to pushing the romance card so fast.

-

Tatsuya Katoo doing the music for this is odd, though I find myself just enjoying it mostly to hear the music. So many good and different songs.

Dresden

Wick 2 is a vastly better action movie than the first, the difference is so wide that it's really not up for debate.

Wick 1 does do some things better, pretty much exclusively on the motivation side, but action-wise Wick 2 blows it out of the water.

Eh, Wick 2 can get pretty monotonous unless you really enjoy watching stormtroopers die. I kinda wish they were stormtroopers, the multiverse potential is immense - what's Wick's midichlorian count?

There's just nothing interesting about most of the slaughter. They're so long and repetitive that by the time they wrap up the only thing that sticks out is how it's facilitated as it goes, the weapon swapping, tossing, reloading. But no matter how tacticool the shotgun reload was (and it was super tacticool), Keanu going through the motions of a target practice for like thirty minutes of runtime is just... boring.

I don't give a shit about the deep John Wick cinematic universe lore, but it looks like 3 will have more assassin vs assassin stuff at least, and those were great. Smaller, more intimate encounters. That's what I want.

duckroll

Eh, Wick 2 can get pretty monotonous unless you really enjoy watching stormtroopers die. I kinda wish they were stormtroopers, the multiverse potential is immense - what's Wick's midichlorian count?

There's just nothing interesting about most of the slaughter. They're so long and repetitive that by the time they wrap up the only thing that sticks out is how it's facilitated as it goes, the weapon swapping, tossing, reloading. But no matter how tacticool the shotgun reload was (and it was super tacticool), Keanu going through the motions of a target practice for like thirty minutes of runtime is just... boring.

I don't give a shit about the deep John Wick cinematic universe lore, but it looks like 3 will have more assassin vs assassin stuff at least, and those were great. Smaller, more intimate encounters. That's what I want.

Wait. John Wick 2 isn't about Assassin vs Assassni? Wut. Who gives a shit about Wick killing grunts?

Wait. John Wick 2 isn't about Assassin vs Assassni? Wut. Who gives a shit about Wick killing grunts?

There are but Wick owns them pretty fast and most don't even talk.

Third movie should be more "every crime syndicate in the world vs John Wick" so you should see him taking on yakuza and sicarios

end of the movie is
Wick breaks the hotel rules and is ousted from the Continental and ousted from the crime syndicates and also given one hour to flee before its open season on him from every single person who would want to in the world

Jarmel

Banned

I disagree about the Rome sequence. Not only is it very well shot and framed, how some of the sequences play out is fairly fun too. The movie shows how extensively Wick plans his missions to things like weapon placement or moment-to-moment improvisation. There's a beauty in how Wick surgically operates and Keanu does a great job demonstrating that. The grunts also serve a larger narrative purpose in that they wear Wick out which makes his fights with the elite assassins even more tense as he's pretty much banged up and tired while they're in prime condition.

The finale is also visually very cool in a way that Wick 1 never was.

Dresden

I disagree about the Rome sequence. Not only is it very well shot and framed, how some of the sequences play out is fairly fun too. The movie shows how extensively Wick plans his missions to things like weapon placement or moment-to-moment improvisation.

Rome: I liked the "shopping" (with the prep work, the acquisition of weapons, etc in a very power fantasy kind of a way), but the "cooking" was very meh until
Cassian
barged in. I disagree about the execution of it. Good action scenes require, I guess (and I am just kinda typing as I go here), a sort of an understanding of the architecture of the stage, the environment, and the ability to exploit that is fundamental when it comes to framing the action. And there is just nothing there in the
catacombs
--the corridor that Wick walks down capping dudes in the head is the extent of its framing. This is me cherry picking here since I really liked the
Cassian
fight, but
the catacomb shit was just so zzz.

There's a beauty in how Wick surgically operates and Keanu does a great job demonstrating that. The grunts also serve a larger narrative purpose in that they wear Wick out which makes his fights with the elite assassins even more tense as he's pretty much banged up and tired while they're in prime condition.

The finale is also visually very cool in a way that Wick 1 never was.

For me the "beauty" is undermined by how perfunctory and boring it begins to feel. Competence is measured by the other's response and I think that tends to get undermined by the growing awkwardness with which the viewer realizes that no one seems to shot John in the head. It gets comical when his enemies get the clear drop on him but just shoot him in the back, right into the folds of his bulletproof suit jacket.

Jarmel

Banned
Rome: I liked the "shopping" (with the prep work, the acquisition of weapons, etc in a very power fantasy kind of a way), but the "cooking" was very meh until
Cassian
barged in. I disagree about the execution of it--there's just so little to work with. Good action scenes require, I guess (and I am just kinda typing as I go here), a sort of an understanding of the architecture of the stage, the environment, and the ability to exploit that is fundamental when it comes to framing the action in mind. And there is just nothing there in the
catacombs
--the corridor that Wick walks down capping dudes in the head is the extent of its framing, from wall to wall its boundaries.

We do know however that Wick knows, which is the important part.
He plants guns in precise locations and has a well thought out backup plan with his movements are planned
. He uses particular guns fit for the right occasion and location. The camerawork takes advantage of the large number of corners in that Wick is sometimes shot out of frame. The low visibility raises the tension level in that it's harder for him, and the audience to see where a shot is coming from. It's a rather chaotic atmosphere and the camerawork captures that fairly well.

For me the "beauty" is undermined by how perfunctory and boring it begins to feel. Competence is measured by the other's response and I think that tends to get undermined by the growing awkwardness with which the viewer realizes that no one seems to shot John in the head. It gets comical when his enemies get the clear drop on him but just shoot him in the back, right into the folds of his bulletproof suit jacket.

Well I don't think people generally expect a person, even a hitman I suppose, to wear a bulletproof suit. Headshots are extraordinarily hard in real life and you're not really supposed to go for them. Center mass and all that. Rather it's just that Wick has aimbot skills. This movie he has something batshit insane like an 80% hit rate. The other thing with Wick is that he's not always at his normal height such as using a body on the ground for cover.

The question you should be asking isn't, "Why is everybody else so bad?" but rather "Why is Wick so good?".

Dresden

We do know however that Wick knows, which is the important part.
He plants guns in precise locations and has a well thought out backup plan with his movements are planned
. He uses particular guns fit for the right occasion and location.

Yeah, the shopping was fun.

The camerawork takes advantage of the large number of corners in that Wick is sometimes shot out of frame. The low visibility raises the tension level in that it's harder for him, and the audience to see where a shot is coming from. It's a rather chaotic atmosphere and the camerawork captures that fairly well.

I mean, the camerawork is fine, but I just don't think it does anything special. Like I'm thinking back to it and the only shot that seemed worthy of consideration after was related to the
shotgun reload->pistol shot when it spins around him to catch a view of incoming scrubs
, and it takes advantage of the tightness of that particular stretch of the tunnel to zoom in a bit as he reloads (it's all a little uncomfortable and claustrophobic and nervous, which is good). And I don't think the low visibility mattered for the tension level due to it being 'harder' since we have no way of seeing that it was hard at all.

And I have to disagree about the atmosphere, I think the intent in general was to offset the chaotic nature of it, which in turn is what makes it boring.

Well I don't think people generally expect a person, even a hitman I suppose, to wear a bulletproof suit.

Narrative wise it makes no sense tho,
these are the underlings of some Type Moon esque HIGH COUNCIL of assassins. Any tech available to a contractor like John should be available to the these fellas as well, at least knowledge of it. Is there no communication between the goons? Are they all deaf? Like the entire sequence kicks off with him running away in the open with his jacket held up to protect him as they open fire--does no one there think that maybe something is off?

The question you should be asking isn't, "Why is everybody else so bad?" but rather "Why is Wick so good?".

sorry, didn't see this before I hit post - I'll just say that Wick 1 would be less enjoyable if Dafoe wasn't around to bail him out.

zulux21

Big Windup! Oofuri.

way to list one of the worst baseball animes. (well just a very mediocre one)
Major
cross game
one outs
heck even Ace of diamond all stand way above oofuri.

such a horrible main character in that show @_@

*is trying to remember other baseball animes, but big windup is near the bottom from the ones that I have seen*

Jarmel

Banned
I mean, the camerawork is fine, but I just don't think it does anything special. Like I'm thinking back to it and the only shot that seemed worthy of consideration after was related to the
shotgun reload->pistol shot when it spins around him to catch a view of incoming scrubs
, and it takes advantage of the tightness of that particular stretch of the tunnel to zoom in a bit as he reloads. And I don't think the low visibility mattered for the tension level due to it being 'harder' since we have no way of seeing that it was hard at all.

And I have to disagree about the atmosphere, I think the intent in general was to offset the chaotic nature of it, which in turn is what makes it boring.

The fact that the camerawork wasn't a complete mess full of cuts should be a celebrated aspect by itself. However I think they did a good job of depicting what is and isn't in the frame in this case. Both the audience and Wick couldn't tell where some stray shot wouldn't be coming from. I remember there being a couple of times where he was dinged around a corner.

Well the thing with the catacombs was to portray it initially as a clusterfuck in which it looks like John might be trapped and outgunned. However the movie slowly and quietly reveals that he had planned precisely for a scenario like this and was prepared. So there definitely is a chaotic element to it but the movie subverts that and uses that as a way of further characterizing John.
Narrative wise it makes no sense tho,
these are the underlings of some Type Moon esque HIGH COUNCIL of assassins. Any tech available to a contractor like John should be available to the these fellas as well, at least knowledge of it. Is there no communication between the goons? Are they all deaf? Like the entire sequence kicks off with him running away in the open with his jacket held up to protect him as they open fire--does no one there think that maybe something is off?

The stuff he's wearing seems to be super expensive. He generally throws around a ton of money in the film and doesn't think anything of it. For example he never asked how much it would cost to get his car repaired, he only cared that it was done. The goons
hired by the Italian guy
didn't seem to be tip-top tier either. This was the case too in the first movie right in that people didn't know who Wick was despite him being the Boogeyman. So I suppose the assumption is that the Continental aspects aren't exactly common knowledge.

zulux21

for v-day horrible anime roleplay ideas.

"You are an assassin, I am a simple country boy, the only thing that could get in our way is that creepy clown."

"I found a black notebook on the ground, and I wrote your name and then 'from pleasure' in it while you were near me and you came to me ^_-"

anyone have any other ideas lol?

Dresden

However I think they did a good job of depicting what is and isn't in the frame in this case.

You're gonna have to unpack that for me, if you care to.

Well the thing with the catacombs was to portray it initially as a clusterfuck in which it looks like John might be trapped and outgunned. However the movie slowly and quietly reveals that he had planned precisely for a scenario like this and was prepared.

Story wise I liked that bit because it makes clear that he not only expected it, but wanted it. I forget when it happens (the super blunt observation that
John is obsessed with vengeance
) but it definitely plays off it well.

So I suppose the assumption is that the Continental aspects aren't exactly common knowledge.

I think it makes sense in the first movie, but when
it's about taking down some assassin noble lord, it starts breaking down. He's going up against people firmly embedded in the industry.
And you know, I wish it didn't because it'd be a much more interesting movie otherwise when the fodder isn't just there to build a combo meter for the boss fight. I'm hopeful that Wick 3 will deliver on this--thinking of
the sequence back in america when all those scrub assassins are gunning for him, and there's just enough vulnerability and fear on Wick's part to make it interesting.

Narag

"You are an assassin, I am a simple country boy, the only thing that could get in our way is that creepy clown."

"I found a black notebook on the ground, and I wrote your name and then 'from pleasure' in it while you were near me and you came to me ^_-"

Just one:
Gn07n7B.png

Puruzi

Banned

what

Tiger Mask W 2

5qXEkvm.jpg

This is so old-school it hurts.

Portraying the world of pro wrestling as one ruled by savvy businessmen with a knack for showmanship seems a surprisingly accurate depiction. Of course an anime sponsored by the NJPW would have the NJPW head be the most savvy of them all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom