• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I like Cross Game. It's a great sports anime.
It's probably the one long running sportsball anime that I like. But Adachi knows how to mix character drama with sportsball drama.

Yeah, the shopping was fun.

I mean, the camerawork is fine, but I just don't think it does anything special. Like I'm thinking back to it and the only shot that seemed worthy of consideration after was related to the
shotgun reload->pistol shot when it spins around him to catch a view of incoming scrubs
, and it takes advantage of the tightness of that particular stretch of the tunnel to zoom in a bit as he reloads (it's all a little uncomfortable and claustrophobic and nervous, which is good). And I don't think the low visibility mattered for the tension level due to it being 'harder' since we have no way of seeing that it was hard at all.

And I have to disagree about the atmosphere, I think the intent in general was to offset the chaotic nature of it, which in turn is what makes it boring.
It's like the Daredevil corridor fights, but not shit. The
art installation mirror scene is probably where it shines the most... well, assuming they didn't cheat and just digitally remove all the camera men from the reflections. lol

Narrative wise it makes no sense tho,
these are the underlings of some Type Moon esque HIGH COUNCIL of assassins. Any tech available to a contractor like John should be available to the these fellas as well, at least knowledge of it. Is there no communication between the goons? Are they all deaf? Like the entire sequence kicks off with him running away in the open with his jacket held up to protect him as they open fire--does no one there think that maybe something is off?
I think this just runs up to the silliness of the story. It's like the Jason Bourne movies... like every time you try to fuck with him, he takes out all your guys and exposes you for your crimes. And all he literally wants is to be left alone... yet somehow, even in the latest movie, they write a story where the bad guy goes against past experience and we go through the same motions.

While I think the opening sequence was pretty pointless,
I suppose it did establish the fact that he was ready to be done.
Then everything that happens becomes silly, because it's literally the first plot recycled.

The fact that the camerawork wasn't a complete mess full of cuts should be a celebrated aspect by itself. However I think they did a good job of depicting what is and isn't in the frame in this case. Both the audience and Wick couldn't tell where some stray shot wouldn't be coming from. I remember there being a couple of times where he was dinged around a corner.

Well the thing with the catacombs was to portray it initially as a clusterfuck in which it looks like John might be trapped and outgunned. However the movie slowly and quietly reveals that he had planned precisely for a scenario like this and was prepared. So there definitely is a chaotic element to it but the movie subverts that and uses that as a way of further characterizing John.
I dunno, that all just felt like they wanted him to have different toys to play with... but it never really matters. It's literally every video game ever, where bad guys just drop guns so why would you ever have to worry about ammo? We even see him scavenge many times.

The stuff he's wearing seems to be super expensive. He generally throws around a ton of money in the film and doesn't think anything of it. For example he never asked how much it would cost to get his car repaired, he only cared that it was done. The goons
hired by the Italian guy
didn't seem to be tip-top tier either. This was the case too in the first movie right in that people didn't know who Wick was despite him being the Boogeyman. So I suppose the assumption is that the Continental aspects aren't exactly common knowledge.
The economy in the world is silly. Everyone is just satisfied with a gold coin or two. lol

That title change tho
John Wick is basically One Punch Man or whatever. lol

Dresden

It's like the Daredevil corridor fights, but not shit. The
art installation mirror scene is probably where it shines the most... well, assuming they didn't cheat and just digitally remove all the camera men from the reflections. lol

It's all about the
Cassian
at
the fountain going all the way to the subway
. So good.

Cornbread78

It's probably the one long running sportsball anime that I like. But Adachi knows how to mix character drama with sportsball drama.

This is exactly what I'm looking for and what Cross Game did so well..

Is there another sports anime out there like that. Hell, another anime like that? It's been awhile since I've watched a show that cab draw me in, get me pumped and/or move me to tears the way that show did.

C4rrftjW8AAkXAq.jpg:large

From Twitter. Lol.

zulux21

tanya the evil 3

man being x is petty lol.

this has actually been pretty enjoyable so far. not sure which is a bigger surprise. this one being enjoyable or demi-chan.

Narag

Is there another sports anime out there like that. Hell, another anime like that? It's been awhile since I've watched a show that cab draw me in, get me pumped and/or move me to tears the way that show did.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLrrh84y760v_pSExnJHJYuMf7jTEqKzIm

John Wick 2 is the best anime after Cory in the House.

Please. We're a meme-free zone.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It's all about the
Cassian
at
the fountain going all the way to the subway
. So good.
Yes, the most sedate sequence is the best sequence. lol

Sorry for the off topic comment but...

I keep seeing banner ads on GAF for this now: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-titanium-tum/

Lol.
I'm surprised this is "bombing". Or maybe SAO fans just want waifu pillows/figures?

Ping Pong and Free are the closest... maybe Ginga e Kickoff, but not really. Non sportsball-wise, I still think AnoNatsu was good (particularly because the right couple won). lol

Some of those seem to crossover a lot though!

Cornbread78

Hmm. That one has been on my PTW list for a long time now... maybe it's time.

Ping Pong and Free are the closest... maybe Ginga e Kickoff, but not really. Non sportsball-wise, I still think AnoNatsu was good (particularly because the right couple won). lol
Some of those seem to crossover a lot though!

I still haven't seen Pink Pong, but Ano Natsu was good.

TheChaos0

Is Gosick any good?

Yes, most of it. It's a fun series!

It's been almost ten years, but I'm still waiting for an action movie to make me feel the way I felt watching Sword of the Stranger. I guess Mad Max Fury Road is close, but it's not exactly the same thing.

You keep on going on about Sword of the Stranger, maybe I should try it out.

Oh, Manga UK is re-releasing GitS on bluray? I wonder if it's the original or 2.0, because I could replace my old DVD with a better quality version but I'm not getting that travesty known as 2.0!

We got lattes in Tokyo:
C4sBFDgW8AAF65X.jpg

Guess which is mine ;p

I didn't read the comment but I knew what the comment would be from the second I saw the picture!

Szadek

Finished Love Live Sunshine
I liked this one a bit more than the orginal show, but my biggest problem still remains:
The anime cares more about drama than making sense, which is often very disrtacting for me.

Now, to the most important part, the Top 3 best girls are:
3. Chika
2. Ruby
1. Yohane

way to list one of the worst baseball animes. (well just a very mediocre one)
Wow you are a terrible person. Big Windup! has some of the most heartfelt moments in anime I have seen and probably one of my favourite character progression of all time. Just throughout the anime Mihashi change so much. He made me cheer for him so much.

But you call Haikyu mediocre too...you monster.

MaliciousH

Neo Member
Kemono Friends
I figured I would check out Kemono Friends after seeing some stuff on Twitter. The Japanese seems to really like it. I wasn't ready. It's oddly very comfy and charming. And yes, the animation and visual quality is absolutely terrible. It's Gdgd Fairies level of bad. It remains to be seen if Kemono Friends can reach the cult status Gdgd Fairies has but we'll see. I loved episode 3 with the Crested Ibis and Alpaca.

TheChaos0

People who don't watch Sword of the Stranger aren't cheating me, they're just cheating themselves.

Uhu, I haven't even seen Ninja Scroll! But got me to the Amazon page...sadly there's no UK version, US version will have to do. And while I'm here in this rabbit hole, I got myself Redline which I was meaning to watch for ages and pre-ordered Anthem of the Heart.

You'll pay if Sword of the Stranger is not up to my standards. ;)

Szadek

If I were you, don't look at Japanese popularity polls.
Not my problem if they have shit taste.

Gabriel DropOut - Ep. 6

Satania finally became the protagonist. It was about time.
Also, these Halloween costumes were super adorable.

Rakugo Shinju - S2 Ep. 6
This episode was intense. Thanks fuck that the old man isn't dead yet.
Obviously he doesn't have much time left. Hopefully his style of Rakugo isn't lost forever.

Interviews With Monster Girls - Ep. 6
Hikari has got quite the nice sister

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom