• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dragon Maid - 06

Shouldn't have picked it up again but wasn't watching much outside of Rakugo and at least this has competent direction and KyoAni visuals, right?

Unfortunately, just as it was the case with Amagi Brilliant Park, Yasuhiro Takemoto can't make up for trashy source material. Whereas this episode is particularly egregious as it features children in sexually charged situations/'comedy', it was never a stranger to dull, lowbrow humor about tits, maids, yuri and drunk Kobayashi.

I can't even praise any supposed slice of life qualities either in the writing. Thematically it has the depth of a puddle and the same can be said for the characterization. Anime for children explore 'the importance of friendship' and inclusiveness better than this.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
All these posts upset about Dragon Maid.

Time to change the thread's title yet again.

You know what show isn't flawed? Idol Jihen, the thinking man's anime. The perfect show to watch while the political world currently shits its pants.

jonjonaug

IEager to get home and watch Maidragon today cause it's Lucoa heavy. And for the record, in the manga, the scene with Saikawa/Kanna goes:
"I wonder what she wanted to do"
Cut to Kanna
"I really wanted to fuck her"

So yes, it is as bad as you thought.

The scene is basically identical in the anime, the manga goes "I wanted to ******".

As for his other works: Komori-san is boring but I haven't tried Ojojojo yet. I really like the one about sharing a house with youkai and the one about the girl who rates things from 1-10.

Line_HTX

Xebec is hiring animators. Solf and/or Sabre, go work on more Keijo please!

aPBqeCd.png

All these posts upset about Dragon Maid.

Time to change the thread's title yet again.

You know what show isn't flawed? Idol Jihen, the thinking man's anime. The perfect show to watch while the political world currently shits its pants.

Maidragon is still a good show. He just got a little bit of his fetishes into this episode.

The scene is basically identical in the anime, the manga goes "I wanted to ******".

As for his other works: Komori-san is boring but I haven't tried Ojojojo yet. I really like the one about sharing a house with youkai and the one about the girl who rates things from 1-10.

Oh good.

Ojojojo is probs his better work and Komori is nice when it sometimes starts going romance with the short dude but yeah, the rating one is pretty fun.

Wood Man

Scum's Wish ep. 1-5

Everyone is messed up in this show. Teacher dude might be the only normal person. And it's unusual to see so much casual sex in anime. I actually like the fact they don't beat around the bush like most shows do.

Mugi was having sex in his first year of middle school? So he was 13 or 14 years old? Damn son.

This week's episode was another home run. Kazuma showing off how much of an Edge-Lord he is, getting himself a custom made Katana but then struggling to come up with a cool name for it.

The party attempting to fight the lizards may have outdone the frog fight from the first season. So glad the writers brought back the Pause Screen when Aqua threw another temper-tantrum.

Ascheroth

This week's episode was another home run. Kazuma showing off how much of an Edge-Lord he is, getting himself a custom made Katana but then struggling to come up with a cool name for it.

The party attempting to fight the lizards may have outdone the frog fight from the first season. So glad the writers brought back the Pause Screen when Aqua threw another temper-tantrum.

I just died when he tried to wear the Katana as badass as possible and then failed at walking out of the shop because it was so impractical.
Also the way his VA overemphasizes his Snipe-skill pronounciation is gold.

It's crazy, this news comes just as I start rereading the manga I got from my Savers haul. Clearly I have some kind of incredible pull on the universe.
Well not that incredible otherwise the remake would've happened.

Scum's Wish: The Maidragon Episodes

Wow.

Well. Guess I have something to look forward to when I can finally watch the latest episode.

Nyanko Days 1-6: Well, I think this could've been an okay one off special, but two minutes an episode makes it really hard to follow week to week, especially when 4-koma style jokes aren't the focus. Dropped.

Descending Stories 1-6: Still loving this season, I might even say I like it more than the last.

Seiren 1-6: I'm really digging the quirky characters, dialogue and innuendo. My wife is less into it though, she feels it strays too far into male fantasy with some of the girls. Can't say I really disagree.

Interviews with Monster Girls 1-6: This and Konosuba continue to be the major contenders for Anime of the Season outside Showa. I feel like Yuki is really underused though. She mainly seems there to add a sad/anxiety driven teenage side to things compared to Machi or Hikari who are both far more lively and silly.

Gabriel DropOut 1-6: Satania's is literally the only part of the show I find even somewhat funny. I feel like near every element is conspiring against this show for me. The jokes are often entirely predictable, but even then they could still be funny. I feel like the voice acting, direction, animation, BGM and more is all conspiring to just suck the humor out of proceedings. Dropped.

Idol Incidents 1-6: I like the over the top absurd take of Idols getting into politics, but it feels like there's nationalistic undertones and combined with a reality TV star basically running my country into the ground, it's hard not to feel like Idol Incidents undermines how important politics actually are by throwing Idols in as if star power is all that's needed to make government right. Otherwise it's okay, it's more my problem I think than the show's outright. Dropped.

Dragon Maid - 06

Shouldn't have picked it up again but wasn't watching much outside of Rakugo and at least this has competent direction and KyoAni visuals, right?

Unfortunately, just as it was the case with Amagi Brilliant Park, Yasuhiro Takemoto can't make up for trashy source material. Whereas this episode is particularly egregious as it features children in sexually charged situations/'comedy', it was never a stranger to dull, lowbrow humor about tits, maids, yuri and drunk Kobayashi.

I can't even praise any supposed slice of life qualities either in the writing. Thematically it has the depth of a puddle and the same can be said for the characterization. Anime for children explore 'the importance of friendship' and inclusiveness better than this.

I haven't seen this episode yet, but you're being way too harsh on the show. It has more depth and warmth than you're giving it credit for, despite whatever questionable sexual moments the series drops into from time to time. (You're also not giving enough respect to anime for children there!)

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I haven't seen this episode yet, but you're being way too harsh on the show. It has more depth and warmth than you're giving it credit for, despite whatever questionable sexual moments the series drops into from time to time. (You're also not giving enough respect to anime for children there!)

You should watch the episode I'm really curious if you feel the same way afterwards.

Flip Flap 12-13

This was ok, some things did not make sense, some character needed more moments, the action looked good, the episode named Pure Audio sounded good, the weakest episodes were 9 to 11 and imo this series lacked good leads.

Twin star exorcist 44

Of course...of course. Rokuro you are an awesome guy and I love you as a lead, but damn you broke my heart :(

I haven't seen this episode yet, but you're being way too harsh on the show. It has more depth and warmth than you're giving it credit for, despite whatever questionable sexual moments the series drops into from time to time.

I think the fairly strong direction gives it more depths and warmth than the source material actually offers. Of course, I haven't read that but given the disparity in writing and direction I'll have to assume that's the case. And I mean, in this episode we really do get very young girl and boy in sexually charged situations. Not even high schoolers or 1000 year old dragons. Nope, small kids.

(You're also not giving enough respect to anime for children there!)

Well, I didn't say "even children anime" so I wasn't trying to put those in a bad light really. It's still true that those usually explore concepts about friendship and the like in a fairly simple manner but at least do that really well. Which is great.

When a show like Kobayashi-san with a different target audience however does that without any additional depth AND is really not that good at it, then that's just kinda pitiful.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
people making excuses for this week's maid dragon.......................................................................................................................................................................................................

people making excuses for this week's maid dragon.......................................................................................................................................................................................................

I mean I'm not going to tell people to not be displeased with it but it didn't strike such a sour cord for me.

Who's making excuses? I'm just telling people they had forewarning.

Doesn't mean the show is suddenly not good if it has one episode with some skeeve moments.

dimb

I mean I'm not going to tell people to not be displeased with it but it didn't strike such a sour cord for me.
Nobody has to say the show is bad or that everyone needs to drop it immediately. But it is what it is and stuff like that deeply taints a show and relegates it to a hyper niche audience. The show becomes impossible to recommend to normal people and will obviously lose people.

Qurupeke

Nobody has to say the show is bad or that everyone needs to drop it immediately. But it is what it is and stuff like that deeply taints a show and relegates it to a hyper niche audience. The show becomes impossible to recommend to normal people and will obviously lose people.

It's a show about a dragon maid, otakus and quite a few bosomy characters. You'd think it already caters to a hyper niche audience and it's already impossible to recommend to the masses...

Rated FD, for Fellow Degenerates.

Haly

I'm kidding I'm not dropping Dragon Maid.

I'm just not going to recommend it to anyone or even speak of it except in hushed tones in the confession booth to my pastor.

If the person doesn't watch anime? Probably.

If they watch it with any sort of regularity, they probably at least have a mild tolerance to this shit. And comparatively speaking, the stuff in this episode isn't even remotely close to some of the shit that a lot of anime watchers put up with on the regular.

Like MPR says, I'm not gonna defend it or not understand why this would turn anyone off, it's pretty clear why it would. For some people that's the limit of "gross anime shit" that they can put up with and that's cool.

Haly

Let he who is without lewd cast the first daki.

dimb

It's a show about a dragon maid, otakus and quite a few bosomy characters. You'd think it already caters to a hyper niche audience and it's already impossible to recommend to the masses...
I don't think it really plays up the otaku elements. Even the stuff this week with Fafnir was more sweet and focused on the relationship with his roommate and how he is adjusting to the human world. So far it's mostly just been set dressing stuff that I don't think limits the appeal of the show. Blatantly pedophilic skits are a different story. And people should stop pretending that this kind of stuff with grade school children is the norm for people who watch anime.

Cornbread78

Penguindrum ep.16
Ok, I laughed way more than I should have at the stupid English guy yelling "Oh no, Mr. President!" The voice was too stupid not to chuckle each time.

Also, note to self; do not eat blowfish.

Joe Molotov

Bububu...Thousand Year Old dragons!

Tsugumomo is the one thing I would actually never recommend people, even with major caveats (yes this includes tlr darkness)

Shame because it might have the best super powered fights in all of manga and some great moments but it's too tainted

jbug617

Banned
Funimation got some excellent releases for May. Just preorder all 3 One Piece releases (Film Gold, Gold TV Special and Collection 19).

Maid Dragon 6
Didn't think they would go so hard with the yuri with Kanna. Still like the show but not a fan of this episode

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom