• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

I actually watched the entirety of Turn A on the couch with a longtime Gundam fan who convinced me to watch it with him, and I hadn't seen it before but he had. It was a really fun experience, actually.

I know, opinions, but still, maybe it's because I had someone with me who watched it before that I enjoyed it more.

I didn't say it wasn't enjoyable. I just think it belongs for me in the same class as Zeta, ZZ, Victory, CCA, G-Reco, as far as directing goes. It definitely has the best story of any Tomino work, and amazing art design. The setting and plot is great. The characters are good. The soundtrack is god-tier. But. I don't really like watching Tomino's direction. Hurts my head.

I didn't say it wasn't enjoyable. I just think it belongs for me in the same class as Zeta, ZZ, Victory, CCA, G-Reco, as far as directing goes. It definitely has the best story of any Tomino work, and amazing art design. The setting and plot is great. The characters are good. The soundtrack is god-tier. But. I don't really like watching Tomino's direction. Hurts my head.

It probably hurts your head because your soul has been weighted down by Earth's gravity.

Once you are freed from the Earth's gravity you will be able to accept Tomino into your heart.

PK Gaming

Dragon Maid 06

Uh, what?

This was my favorite show of the season and then... uh...

Is this indicative of the rest of the series or just a weird one-off thing? If its going to be this creepy from now on I probably will drop it. Loli yuri and shotacon are um... a bit much (and unexpected, wtf).

It should be fine. Shouta is pretty minor and I don't think Saikawa and Kana's relationship gets farther than that.

Dio

Banned

Fair. Maybe I'm not that sensitive to Tomino direction, because I didn't remember a particular amount of grievances with Turn A's direction. In fact, I remember little moments like Sochie slamming into stuff during anti gravity and Loran reaching his arm out as surprisingly emotive and 'real.' Again, maybe it's rose tinted goggles.

KraytarJ

Koyomimomogatari 1-10
A fun ride visiting the series as a whole. Honestly seeing all the OPs again after all this time was probably the highlight weirdly enough.

Koyomimonogatari 11
Okay, things are staring to get interesting let's see where this Kagenui/Araragi thing goes.

Koyomimonogatari 12
What. The. Fuck.

Narag

Fair. Maybe I'm not that sensitive to Tomino direction, because I didn't remember a particular amount of grievances with Turn A's direction. In fact, I remember little moments like Sochie slamming into stuff during anti gravity and Loran reaching his arm out as surprisingly emotive and 'real.' Again, maybe it's rose tinted goggles.

Tomino's idiosyncrasies don't stand out quite so much until you've seen others handle the same sort of material far more adroitly.

It probably hurts your head because your soul has been weighted down by Earth's gravity.

Once you are freed from the Earth's gravity you will be able to accept Tomino into your heart.

Once you get there do you need to Disconnect from Tomino doubters?

Tomino's idiosyncrasies don't stand out quite so much until you've seen others handle the same sort of material far more adroitly.

I dunno. I feel like you could show G-Reco to an 8 year old and they'd wonder if a human being made it.

Dio

Banned
Oh right. I just remembered.

Boku no Hero Academia BDs fixed up a ton of crappy looking scenes from S1, but are they going to half ass it again and then fix it in the BDs again this season?

I know this is pretty routine for anime these days, though. All I remember is how shitty the villain reveal in S1 looked.

I wonder how they'll pace the second season. The manga started to draw out the few villains and battles that came afterwards. Not surprising, when there's only so much you can do with the one-punch-line but when Saitama becomes a smaller part I consider that a detriment.

Btw., have you seen Mob Psycho 100 yet? Highly recommended here and even won our 2016 AotY award.
Now go watch Mob Psycho 100, the better ONE series.
When I see images of Mob Psycho 100, I'm very skeptical that it is going to be good, let alone better than One Punch Man. But I trust the conensus on GAF, that I won't be led astray, and that it is going to rock my world. However, I have Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory lined up next after a recent Gundam thread. Never seen it before, and I saw lots of positive opinions about it. Especially excited after seeing Watanabe did some work on a few episodes.

Gonna be straight up honest with you, I think the concept or basic idea behind One Punch Man is complete trash. Garbage. I'd even go so far as to say shit. But here's the thing... what I imagined the story and characters to be didn't play out like I imagined based on the concept of a guy who kills his foes with one puch. In fact... it's one of my favorite anime as of recent because of how they presented and created those characters... how they told the story was fantastic. I guess what I'm saying is... because One Punch Man sounds like Superman on steroids in concept, (I don't like Superman) it plays out so differently than one would expect. I love it!!! You can see and feel how human and imperfect the main protagonist is... how he traded his super human strength for the basic emotions of regular people. How he effectively lost some very key hunan qualities... how broken he truly is despite being the world's saviour. It kinda weird... but I thoroughly enjoy this anime. Watched it so many times... I can only hope for more seasons.
I was the same way in that when I read the concept, I thought to myself "this sounds like it would be fun for about 30 minutes..." But it really blew away any expectations I had.

The Eccentric Family [END]

Absolutely crazy finale. The last two episodes were a fantastic ride, with every sense of the word. Despite the serious situation, the show didn't lose its fun factor and the result was highly entertaining. The series reminded me a lot of Kyousougiga, which had left me with mixed feelings on the finale, but this one didn't disappoint me at all.
I kind of feel bad for the Professor, but I loved it when he became the trigger for Master's explosion. And this was honestly just the cherry on top of the cake. I was expecting a very typical, "family crisis" finale but the show kept surprising me.

I hoped they'd expand some of the plot points more, but fortunately Season 2 is coming rather soon. On that, I'm not completely sure what's up with Kaisei and why she remains hidden.
And she seems awfully young, I thought she was around Yasaburo's age but this doesn't seem to be the case, based on the final shot of her. And this makes the fact that Yajirou loved her quite disturbing...
I'm late responding to this, but just had to say I'm glad you watched this show. It was my anime of the year when it premiered. I still can't quite put my finger on what about it grabs me...but I love that world, the characters, and presentation. As cheesy as it sounds, I was really transported away during the whole thing. Could forget all my worries here and really drift away in that show.

duckroll

When I see images of Mob Psycho 100, I'm very skeptical that it is going to be good, let alone better than One Punch Man. But I trust the conensus on GAF, that I won't be led astray, and that it is going to rock my world. However, I have Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory lined up next after a recent Gundam thread. Never seen it before, and I saw lots of positive opinions about it. Especially excited after seeing Watanabe did some work on a few episodes.

Mob Psycho 100 is not OPM. That is why it is better than OPM. If it tried to just be OPM but with different characters, it would have sucked.

Stardust Memories is an amazing set of visuals with possibly the worst characters in Gundam ever. In many ways it is a proto Macross Plus. Loved both as a teen, still love the designs and model kits to death, but can't love the actual shows anymore.

LotusHD

Banned
My friend felt the same way in terms of initially thinking Mob Psycho wouldn't match up to OPM. Got him to watch the anime with me, and then he saw the light...

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Mob Psycho 100 is not OPM. That is why it is better than OPM. If it tried to just be OPM but with different characters, it would have sucked.

Stardust Memories is an amazing set of visuals with possibly the worst characters in Gundam ever. In many ways it is a proto Macross Plus. Loved both as a teen, still love the designs and model kits to death, but can't love the actual shows anymore.

You can add Char's Counterattack to that list.

08th MS is close to being on the list but it's soo good looking and has that one awesome fight that I plain just don't care how crap the rest of it is.

KraytarJ

Kobayashi 6
Maybe more family sitcom and less weird kid stuff? Actually just remove Lucoa, that'd fix most of it. On a brighter side the relationships are still fantastic, Tohru/Kobayashi and Fafnir/Takiya are both really sweet.

Dio

Banned
Konosuba has been saving anime all season.

Nahhhhhhh. I don't believe that. A childhood friend needs to win to break the mold one of these days. It will be a glorious day.

But childhood friends are so often worst girl.

Also, it's weird that an isekai of all things is so well received, even a 'parody.' I guess it's all in execution.

LotusHD

Banned

Also, it's weird that an isekai of all things is so well received, even a 'parody.' I guess it's all in execution.

Basically. Not that the show seems to necessarily care that much, but I don't even care about their plot to kill the demon king or whatever. All I know is that they make me laugh every week lol

It doesn't have the main reason I generally dislike isekai stories (main character bringing/obtaining some advantages that makes them handily win over peers and tribulations), so that's a big plus.

Dio

Banned
It doesn't have the main reason I generally dislike isekai stories (main character bringing/obtaining some advantages that makes them handily win over tribulations and their peers), so that's a big plus.

Don't forget the women getting all wet over the MC because he's nice to them and that's uniquely Japanese somehow.

KraytarJ

Akiba's Trip 7
Not quite what I expected from an episode on Maid cafes but it was still pretty good. Maid Tamotsu alone was pretty great but the whole thank you culture was good too.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Don't forget the women getting all wet over the MC because he's nice to them and that's uniquely Japanese somehow.

Or because he is mean to them.

Or because he is INDIFFERENT to them.

Shit doesn't matter in a harem show. The MC is universally attractive to the opposite/same sex despite having little to no personality and usually only average attractive features.

Dio

Banned
Or because he is mean to them.

Or because he is INDIFFERENT to them.

Shit doesn't matter in a harem show. The MC is universally attractive to the opposite/same sex despite having little to no personality and usually only average attractive features.

I always think it's funniest when it's 'exotic black hair I've never seen before.' This seems to crop up more than you'd think.

Wanderer5

Konosuba S2 #6

hDnizXd.jpg

Heh heh Aqua.

Anyway bit more low key this week in comparison to the last couple weeks, but still a enjoyable one. This show continues to rock this season. Nice to see that Vanir is still around heh.

JulianImp

Of course it's all in the execution! Like, you could say Madoka and Magical Girl Raising Project were both magical girl shows and wonder why someone would like one but not the other, but while the former was consistent in its themes, had a really interesting aesthetic in the witches' realms, stuck with a smaller cast and also dedicated enough screentime to flesh them out pretty well, the latter had too many characters that got little to no development, relied on exposition through flashbacks to try and make the audience empathize with the one character that was most likely going to die in an episode, had a laughable climax and the most passive protagonist ever, who failed to do anything plot-relevant ever. Like, all she did was choosing to not side herself with the Kubey/Monokuma ripoff mascot character of evil in the end.

Or you can have good fights with stands in JoJo or... well, whatever Big Order was supposed to be.

trejo

Kuzu no Honkai 5

p1ycljU.png

oav2zEj.png

Man fuck this show. Why are they all so terrible and make such bad decisions? Why do I do this to myself?

I need to watch some Konosuba to wash off this grime I feel all over.

Oh right. I just remembered.

Boku no Hero Academia BDs fixed up a ton of crappy looking scenes from S1, but are they going to half ass it again and then fix it in the BDs again this season?

I know this is pretty routine for anime these days, though. All I remember is how shitty the villain reveal in S1 looked.

The first season had a pretty rough production schedule that prevented Umakoshi from really polishing the show to his usual standard. The second season is supposed to have a much better schedule currently, so it'll hopefully look better in its broadcast version, but we'll see.

Dio

Banned
The first season had a pretty rough production schedule that prevented Umakoshi from really polishing the show to his usual standard. The second season is supposed to have a much better schedule currently, so it'll hopefully look better in its broadcast version, but we'll see.
That's good to hear, at least. Reminds me of Attack on Titan's schedule and the good old purple bricks.

Jex

Really the twister scene is nothing. Compare it to the one in Nisemonogatari with Nadeko.

Two thoughts on this:

1. I know this is an inference on my part and therefore problematic, but this kind of commentary sounds like its from someone who has been desensitized to anime being really creepy. Therefore when an anime is just being a creepy in a less overt way than normal anime, you're not picking up on it in the same way. *Edit* checking that scene again, there's some really overt stuff in it to, so yeah. Not cool.

2. That's a bit like saying its not as *illegal* as Prism Illya.
It's a show about a dragon maid, otakus and quite a few bosomy characters. You'd think it already caters to a hyper niche audience and it's already impossible to recommend to the masses...
Having 'nerdy' characters doesn't really have anything to do with whether the show has niche appeal or not - as a look at American TV programming will reveal. However, creepy sexual stuff with children? Yes, that's certainly going to limit your appeal.

Dio

Banned
Prisma Ilya's actually kind of weird. I don't care at all about most of it, but when it morphed into a story about altShirou I read everything related to that and then dropped it after that arc was over.

I actually picked up the anime at the altShirou part hoping it would be all cool and sakuga but it was a disappointing adaptation of that sequence.

Honestly, if Hiroyama just made that a manga by itself I'd be on board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom