• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

phaze

Mamoru Oshii can be fairly described as a cold director overall. He isn't so much interested in characters or human warmth as he is in philosophical themes and brooding atmosphere. That's apparent even in his earlier works such as Twilight Q, but becomes ever more apparent the further in his career you get, especially after he abandons Kazunori Ito (or Ito abandoned him for .hack?) to write his own screenplays for films such as Innocence.

Yeah for sure. At the same this seemed even more pronounced here, maybe because it's much more of an ensemble cast, with the resulting smaller amount of time for each character and nothing like Major's connection to the movie's themes in the first GitS. (If I'm remembering that right, it's been years.)

lol is Innocence just pure unfiltered Oshii then?

Angel's Egg should surely be in the running too.

Qurupeke

Digimon Adventure tri 17
LMziZRD.png

Because licking wasn't complete without kabedon.
I think I've lost my patience with tri. My excitement for the series slowly burned away and I really disliked this particular part, which could really be a lot more interesting. They're pretty much milking on nostalgia and they just have no idea what they're doing. Every part is full of "SoL" moments that unfortunately are usually boring and then there's like 15 minutes of action, which could certainly be more impressive... The overarching plot is pretty bad so far too. It feels like they just have a list of stuff they want to show. There's a theme on each of the movies but they don't feel connected. Joe accepted his role and his entire arc seemed to have ended for example.

The overarching plot is pretty bad so far too. Like, there are some interesting stuff there but I really can't take it seriously when the villains screen time is consisted of them being fucking psychopaths. Also, the whole thing is seriously dragging.

Sometimes I just read Nasuverse wiki articles and click from link to link in an endless train of bullshit.

I love the characters that appear in nothing but like, footnotes from a doujin he made when he was 12 or whatever.

Youjo Senki: 5-6
I don't know if the anime staff are not taking it seriously at all or it's all unintentional, but it is great for entertainment and laughs. The end of episode 5 especially takes the cake.

The end of episode 5 was so good. It's the episode that solidified the fact that the Japanese version is, indeed, better.

Tiffiny if you're following the abridged.

The superior SAO.

cGeTDXu.gif

PhNkHiW.gif

This show is the gift that keeps on giving.

Konosuba has just been the best. Definitely a contender for AOTY 2017.

Also going to have to agree, Rider is the best Fate/Zero character.

Gilgamesh is the best.

lol is Innocence just pure unfiltered Oshii then?

Yes, Innocence is undiluted, full-strength Oshii. Take at your own risk.

Yeah for sure. At the same this seemed even more pronounced here, maybe because it's much more of an ensemble cast, with the resulting smaller amount of time for each character and nothing like Major's connection to the movie's themes in the first GitS. (If I'm remembering that right, it's been years.)

I'm really curious to see what you think of the second Patlabor movie, which ramps up considerably the Oshii factor while also practically diminishing the cast to just one person.

Chindogg

Whoa, whoa, whoa.

It's really not. We already know what the best relationship in anime is.

latest

I already stated I was exaggerating, but I love that relationship too. Lots of great ones to pick.

Also I'll stick with the advice of just going Fate/Zero. I cannot trust anyone with Sabre in their name when it comes to this topic. I learned my lesson with Kiritobread.

phaze

I'm really curious to see what you think of the second Patlabor movie, which ramps up considerably the Oshii factor while also practically diminishing the cast to just one person.

Isn't the 2nd one the more political one or am I confusing it with something ?I vaguely remember enjoying Innocence, certainly over the first GitS, so I guess I have a fair shot. Jin-Roh though is easily my favorite of his output so far.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I have no idea why the existence of 2 specific media franchises (which, incidentally, are almost assuredly far more popular than whatever your favorite franchise is) rustles peoples' jimmies so much that I repeatedly see demands for the topics be banned. They are on-topic and 90% of discussions about either franchise consist largely of the same posters shitting on them as opposed to people who like them discussing them, e.g. the people who call for banning them are the people who enjoy the topic the most.

In other words, deal with it. Being relentlessly negative towards everything you don't care for has no real purpose other than making sure the community stays as insular as possible.

Narag

Fresh Precure 50 FIN

Really satisfying show in the end. It's super ugly at times yet still works. Likely due to the cast members that don't suffer from character assassination like Cure Berry did but she probably deserved it.

Isn't the 2nd one the more political one or am I confusing it with something ?I vaguely remember enjoying Innocence, certainly over the first GitS, so I guess I have a fair shot. Jin-Roh though is easily my favorite of his output so far.

You prefer Innocence over the first Ghost in the Shell movie??? Wow.

(For the record, Patlabor 2 is my favorite Oshii work.)

Jin-Roh is Hiroyuki Okiura.

Directed by Okiura, and thus with more of a human touch than Oshii typically has, but still written by Oshii and with connections to some of the live action films Oshii has directed.

Puruzi

Banned
I have no idea why the existence of 2 specific media franchises (which, incidentally, are almost assuredly far more popular than whatever your favorite franchise is) rustles peoples' jimmies so much that I repeatedly see demands for the topics be banned. They are on-topic and 90% of discussions about either franchise consist largely of the same posters shitting on them as opposed to people who like them discussing them, e.g. the people who call for banning them are the people who enjoy the topic the most.

In other words, deal with it. Being relentlessly negative towards everything you don't care for has no real purpose other than making sure the community stays as insular as possible.
Is joke.

phaze

You prefer Innocence over the first Ghost in the Shell movie??? Wow.

(For the record, Patlabor 2 is my favorite Oshii work.)

I think so. I barely remember a thing from either of the two other than that and in my defense (?) it was at the very beginning of my anime career but I remember that being my sentiment at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom