• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narag

Kirakira☆Precure A La Mode 3
vbinTkGl.jpg

aight if the first three precure are this good then the sky's the limit with Cure Chocolat

kewlmyc

Rakugo S2 08

Damn this is depressing. I need to either start saving Konosuba for Fridays or save this show for Wednesdays so they can offset one another.

And yeah, I guess that's one way to end a performance.

Waaah? I did that?

Well, I'm not one for usually calling people out but you did once describe the thread as "toxic" before, and you have a general policy of: "If AnimeGAF hates it, it must be good".

I dunno, but I feel like anyone who holds a contrarian viewpoint like that probably doesn't think very highly of the thread.

Narag

Well, I'm not one for usually calling people out but you did once describe the thread as "toxic" before, and you have a general policy of: "If AnimeGAF hates it, it must be good".

I dunno, but I feel like anyone who holds a contrarian viewpoint like that probably doesn't think very highly of the thread.

He's fine. He engages people, makes recs, and isn't afraid to toss out some criticism now and then.

Yeah but purple will still be best.

I guess we're now enemies.

zulux21

I hold a viewpoint similar to that and I think this thread is fun as well :p

I know if the majority of animegaf likes something I will likely hate it. (If I had my way all 4 girls in a club shows would be banned MWA HA HA HA HA)
and if the majority of animegaf hates something and it doesn't look like crap to me, I will likely at least enjoy it :p

Gantz: O (Narag Recommendation)

Most I'd ever seen about Gantz were random manga/anime shots of dudes and chicks fucking the shit out of each other and over the top violence with very little context of what was going on in the story.

Well the over the top violence was still present in this movie, sans the sex and I still have no fucking clue about what exactly is going on in this game. But I didn't think about it too much while they were dicing up youkai monsters. They kept the action going strong and the boss monster was a blast.

Well yes I do think the thread can get a little to negative for my taste sometimes, but that doesn't mean I don't like conversing with people about it still. Also about my *policy*, that's because I know that some people here just don't have the same tastes as me(usually hating what I like) and can be kind of hyperbolic, so them being negative about a show as me automaticly wondering if I'll like it. But that's what opinions are and I don't consider anyone an ennemy of mine because of it really lol.

zulux21

Well yes I do think the thread can get a little to negative for my taste sometimes, but that doesn't mean I don't like conversing with people about it still. Also about my *policy*, that's because I know that some people here just don't have the same tastes as me(usually hating what I like) and can be kind of hyperbolic, so them being negative about a show as me automaticly wondering if I'll like it. But that's what opinions are and I don't consider anyone an ennemy of mine because of it really lol.
yup, only select people are people I can trust when it comes to recommendations in here. the rest of you think that mob psycho is better than one punch man :p
At least 90% of the shows you voted for AOTY didn't receive only a single vote.

Don't
Tell
Lies

:3

Cornbread78

Princess Nine ep.8-9
The competition with Izumi was really well done. A little drama mixed in for flare but it was a pretty good build-up and finale. Good stuff.

Erigu

Gantz: O (Narag Recommendation)

Most I'd ever seen about Gantz were random manga/anime shots of dudes and chicks fucking the shit out of each other and over the top violence with very little context of what was going on in the story.

Well the over the top violence was still present in this movie, sans the sex and I still have no fucking clue about what exactly is going on in this game.
You already know all there is to know about the series. There's nothing beyond that.

My favorite part of the latest Rakugo is when she leans her head against his back. Their loving banter melts my heart. It's a married couple that is falling in love while being married and I just want to hug them.

He's fine. He engages people, makes recs, and isn't afraid to toss out some criticism now and then.

This wasn't really me saying he wasn't fine than it was me observing the contrarian posts he'd often make in regards to what's good/what's not good and remembering his earlier statements about the thread.

I didn't mean to imply that you didn't enjoy conversing with people here. If you got that impression, sorry. I just couldn't help but notice that every time the majority of the thread came to a general consensus on a show, you'd often take the opposite position like, 90% of the time.

Not that there's anything wrong with that, mind you. Like you said, that's what opinions are.

BEYBLADE #23 Showdown in Vegas
C5eMm5fWcAAtDVx.jpg:small
C5eNUH4WAAAVIg5.jpg:small

Its always a great episode when Kai actually gets to play. Major points for Emily for bringing up the friendship aspect and getting him to really think long and hard about his relationship with his teammates. I hope he decides to actually get closer to them someday.

Dai Guard Episode 22

Wait it wasnt a dream? what. they actually got hurt?

I love how we can always count on Akagi to give a good friendship speech. His time piloting with the random manual only dude was hilarious. The line about this is a robot not a cuisinart was lol.

I think a lot of what makes Crazy no Honkeys work is that even with as melodramatic as it is with somewhat (somewhat) restrained direction, a lot of people can see parts of their own stupid past in the characters and situations even if they're not 1 to 1 and it kinda dregs up a lot of shit for people.

Lord knows I've been in a situation like one in it, that's for sure. Not my...proudest or happiest moment.

Thunderbolt Fantasy 9

The pieces are really swirling around now! The clashes here are compelling because of how the characters and their philosophies have been set up. Everyone has their own distinctive motives and behavior patterns that make for interesting conflict when they're thrust against each other.

Sawano still sucks, by the way.

Thunderbolt Fantasy 9

The pieces are really swirling around now! The clashes here are compelling because of how the characters and their philosophies have been set up. Everyone has their own distinctive motives and behavior patterns that make for interesting conflict when they're thrust against each other.

Sawano still sucks, by the way.

What makes Urobuchi-helmed shows so good in a nutshell. Dude's a master at these kinds of conflicts with his characters.

faridmon

Very weak season overall.The only ones I am watching is Rakogu and Kono Suba. Demi-chan is OK but the Harem aspect of it kills my interest.

Finished up Haikyuu Season 1. The animation and volleyball matches were actually some really good stuff. By the end though I found myself not really caring about the team unfortunately. The characters just really weren't doing it for me, and I found no one's story compelling enough to keep following it forward.

Seiren - 08

First half was better because for once the episode embraced how dumb this show is. I was legit cracking up at some of the moments here. The arc itself was very meh, but at least it had a good ending.

Twin Star Exorcists Episode 43 – The Millennial Dream - Melancholic Misanthrope

Why make these reveals so close to the anime end. I guess Ill have to start going back to my purchased volumes.

Yuto all dressed up handing dressed up Roku the roses was kind of sweet.

zulux21

alright time to jumpstart this thread.

I can agree with best girl.
and best main character could be worse :p
from the stuff it was up against death parade is fine.

btw it's 2016 releases on rightstuf not 2016 releases in general

Tuck

Blue Exorcist S2 ep.3
I'll take that. I guess they really are going to ride this arc and this battle through the entire season.

Either way, theven last few episodes have been much better as things start to happen.
Agreed. Season started slow, and it still is kind of dragging its heels, but its better now that things are happening.

Jarmel

Banned
Saga of Tanya-7
Ef28622.jpg

Guess what happens.
Well another great episode. This week's episode is probably the most interesting of the series from a storyboarding perspective. It bounces between Tanya and Anson, some commander guy from earlier in the season. In addition to this, there are some interesting restrictions on the mission itself such as a time limit that while characters might not die, there is still the possibility of failure.
The first scene with Tanya and that northern general was a lot of fun due to how she was shitting on him but in a polite manner. They're talking strategy which is sort of boring but Tanya's mannerisms make this fairly entertaining. The storyboarding in this case really accentuates her point. Even the later scene is done in a humorous fashion with her trying to reach the top of the map. The notion of using humor to lighten up these strategy meetings is great as since it's more playful, compared to episodes 1 and 2, I'm more likely to pay attention. There is more energy in the scenes resulting in those scenes become less about the trite dialogue being said and more about how it's being said and the reactions to it. Obviously the staff for individual episodes are largely different but I feel the overall direction has found a groove that they're nailing.
So the second half of the episode is a large aerial battle and again there's some level of tension in it due to the fail conditions. Nobody is obviously expecting Tanya to die so setting up other ways she can fail is a good thing. Takashi Hashimoto is really putting in work for this show. This also feels like the first time where Tanya has to actually depend on her battalion to get something done she seemingly couldn't do by herself. In previous episodes she was largely wrecking the enemy by herself but due to the time restriction she has to play defense for the rest of the team. It's also nice to see someone on the opposite side being somewhat competent so there's some back and forth.
1pKA2yx.jpg
OS7PBSm.jpg

This contrast between the two continues till the end of the battle. Here she's praying purely for perfunctory reasons while Anson is actually praying to God.
Now besides the mission itself, there's an interesting parallel this episode between Tanya and Anson. Anson is fighting because he wants to protect his country while Tanya is doing it purely for selfish reasons, mainly her career. Anson has a daughter he wants to protect. This episode really highlights how and why Tanya is such a shitty human being. She kills a person and her immediate reaction is to complain about being overworked. This episode does a great job of juxtaposing her boredom with Anson's energy. By using Anson and his reaction, we're seeing both sides of the war and how all these grunts she's killing has friends and family. Obviously the show hasn't been subtle about demonstrating that she's a bad human being but I thought this episode effectively used contrast to really show why.
The person that ends up winning is the person who doesn't care about her job or the lives she's ruining.

god dont care

alright time to jumpstart this thread.

I can agree with best girl.
and best main character could be worse :p
from the stuff it was up against death parade is fine.

btw it's 2016 releases on rightstuf not 2016 releases in general
If everything that was released in 2016 was eligible...the only one I agree with is fan service and even thats a half agree. Visual is debatable.

im not 100% what determined the nomiations.
for example haruhi seems to be missing from the nominates which it was rereleased last year.
I mean just taking opening and visuals into account.

As much as I like death parade, we had a release of Gundam X in 2016 so that's already better. 2 times.

For visuals, if movie counts, we had 3.33 that year that beats everything and we also had sword of the stranger and boy and the beast.

Highly debatable stuff.

Rakugo S2 - 07

The 48 ryo story... man you broke me. And that ending that came out of nowhere... Outstanding. Simply outstanding. This show keeps nailing it every week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom