• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

blurr

Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu S2 08

Eyes welled up when Konatsu yells at Yakumo, bearing in mind what actually happened, this was very moving.

The man can't die in peace and by the end of it, nor can he perform Rakugo in peace.

phaze

Fafner 14
026212q3s8x.jpg
0262146xsvl.jpg
026217c9s3d.jpg

(lol)

Completely missed post-credits scene with Canon in the previous episode, that was nice despair right there.

T-Rex.

Banned
Tales of Zestiria 1-16

I have to say, Ufotable are doing a great job with their use of CGI in Zestiria. I'm not usually a massive fan of it because it can look pretty awful when compared to everything else that's on screen due to a style clash (or shit editing), but that's not the case here. It works really well.

Syrinx

Go! Princess Precure 15

This is moving at an unusual pace for a Precure series. One of the grunts has already been wiped out and now we get introduced to Big Bad's just-as-evil daughter. Not that I'm complaining; in fact, it's actually fairly welcome.

Szadek

Princess Precure - Ep. 27
Decent episode.
It was nice seeing a bit more development between Haruka and Yuuki.
In general the anime does a great job with the supporting cast.

phaze

I think both you and duckroll may appreciate this review of La La Land which raises the question of Chazelle's cynical elitism.

He has some fair points while dissecting the writing but complaining characters with a few minutes or even seconds of screen time are one note strikes me as being straight up unreasonable

I was being a bit hyperbolic. The emotional payload has more to do with the writing than the art. The art itself deviates from the previous part of the fight and turns what was, I would argue, some of the best pages of art from Kishimoto from the manga. Seeing how the previous part of the fight went I was really looking forward to seeing the signature Naruto animation used in one of the best fight scenes in the manga. The way it played out just completely let me down. At that point, I was pivoting away from long Shonen shows and that episode...just let me down so much. It's hard to really describe how disappointed and angry I was at the time when that episode came out.

673.jpg

Why does it say fan animation when it's fan stills ? ;p

I raise you this.

He has some fair points while dissecting the writing but complaining characters with a few minutes or even seconds of screen time are one note strikes me as being straight up unreasonable

He seems to complain for what he does with the characters in the few seconds they appear, not because they are one note, but because that single 'note' is totally histrionic and unrealistic.

duckroll

An average writer can express an interesting character given enough time to develop enougj scenes. Only a truly good writer can express short moments well and say meaningful things in short spans without feeling weak.

This is why all great writers can excel at short stories, while scrubs only churn out 500+ page multi book series.

phaze

He seems to complain for what he does with the characters in the few seconds they appear, not because they are one note, but because that single 'note' is totally histrionic and unrealistic.

I mean "Who is this woman? What does she think about? Why does she presume an ordinary pastry would be gluten-free That he prefers elementary punchlines to fully realized characters? That his writing's often lazy? That he'd rather make a trite joke about customer-service etiquette than populate and furnish a believable world? " - you can't put any of that in a quick scene that is supposed to have a comedic tint. And why would you anyway except to fill your movie with irrelevancy and ruin pacing.

And of course those 'notes' can be exaggerated for comedic purposes but a woman being picky with her food or a photographer trying to get a cool shot for a promo pic (I don't even know what's his beef with the musician is) are hardly big stretches.

An average writer can express an interesting character given enough time to develop enougj scenes. Only a truly good writer can express short moments well and say meaningful things in short spans without feeling weak.

This is why all great writers can excel at short stories, while scrubs only churn out 500+ page multi book series.

RIP Homer

Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's Season 2 (Subtitled) Episode 71 – Yusei Kidnapped

Wow great action packed episode especially kidnapped Yusei managing to escape from the truck after Aki and Sagiri came for him. Duel is going pretty well too.

I mean "Who is this woman? What does she think about? Why does she presume an ordinary pastry would be gluten-free That he prefers elementary punchlines to fully realized characters? That his writing’s often lazy? That he’d rather make a trite joke about customer-service etiquette than populate and furnish a believable world? " - you can't put any of that in a quick scene that is supposed to have a comedic tint. And why would you anyway except to fill your movie with irrelevancy and ruin pacing.

And of course those 'notes' can be exaggerated for comedic purposes but a woman being picky with her food or a photographer trying to get a cool shot for a promo pic (I don't even know what's his beef with the musician is) are hardly big stretches.

The reviewer's problem with Keith is that he represents commercial sellouts - someone who abandons the artistic integrity of jazz for the sake of base profit and popularity among mindless crowds. Overall, the issue he identifies is that La La Land sets up its two protagonists as the singular beacons of moral integrity pursuing art for art's sake in a cruel and callous world who continually trample on them and the purity of art in general. The conflict that comes about in the lead's romantic relationshop happens primarily because one of them sells out while the other sticks to her ideals. It's a very arch-Romantic view of The Artist vs. The World. Chazelle is hardly the first to glorify the artist as a prophet persecuted by an unintelligent world - and as a musician myself I have some sympathies for how that kind of mindset arises - but there's a danger of that becoming too narrow-minded and self-aggrandizing way of seeing the world.

As I write this, someone starts playing the opening number "Another Day of Sun" in a practice room behind me. Funny world we live in.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Is La La Land really about Ryan Gosling saving jazz from black sell outs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom