• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarmel

Banned
If you told me that was an early digital production, I would believe you.

Making anime is hard.

Ys2WWOh.jpg

Watched more Shutendoji today, my family and friends keep asking why I hate myself.

Also Rakugo was great this week, actually teared up as Yotaro performed that story.

I would also like to give this week's episode of Tanya credit for having the worst CGI visuals I've seen this decade.

http://webmshare.com/play/dE9Kw

What resolution were these graphics rendered at because it sure wasn't 720p:

Literal PS1 graphics.

lol if that render of Al from FMA yesterday was ffx this is like ff7.

Where's that CG green helicopter video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gcyZc3bhyM

this is from '83 tho so it was probably impressive then

KraytarJ

I don't think I'll be able to muster up the will to watch Scum's Wish until later in the year, I'm damn sure I'm not touching that within the next few months.
You're missing out. Sure there's a lot of misery but it might be my AOTS, its the only thing giving Konosuba a run for its money at the very least.

Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu S2 8:
What a show. That rakugo performance was just so captivating. They captured the emotions perfectly.

And I didn't really see that ending coming at all.

Week in and week out, this show remains one of the finest anime I've seen in years.

Get Out

I would recommend you "Get In" to your local movie theater to see Get Out!

It was pretty good

Yeah, I saw it earlier today, and I thought it was really good.

Syrinx

Fuuka 9

Hey remember when we somebody caught us together and you got assaulted by an angry mob? Forget about that, let's go on a date in public!

Also why is she still holding him to that promise? They just performed on stage together last fucking episode.

Cornbread78

Fuuka 9

Hey remember when we somebody caught us together and you got assaulted by an angry mob? Forget about that, let's go on a date in public!

Also why is she still holding him to that promise? They just performed on stage together last fucking episode.

Ya know, I was thinking the same thing and I thought he would have called her out on that. She must have meant a duo?

DNAbro

Hunter x Hunter: Phantom Rogue

Still haven't finished the series since I'm waiting on friends, but we didn't agree to watch the movies so I decided to take some time and watch it.

I'll start out with the bad. Animation was kind of weird? I'm not exactly sure how to describe it. Gon and Killua both look kind of weird in a ton of scenes. I guess "off-model" might be the best way to describe it. I don't think my mind was playing tricks on me, something just looked off compared to the anime.

2nd, the fights. Hunter x Hunter is known for some really creative and amazing fights. There is absolutely none of that in the movie. Fights were kind of one note, and just regular brawls. While not awful, it wasn't exciting.

3rd, the villain. Again since HxH has tons of amazing villains, this one was just all around flat. I get they don't have time to develop it, but blatantly bad person is kind of boring.

Okay now some good stuff.

Getting details on Kurapika's background was pretty cool. Nice to know it was basically canon too. It was also cool to see Kurapika do Kurapika things, like get angry at spiders.

It was nice to see how Gon dealt with Killua's issues in fighting people stronger than himself. That never really occurred in the anime and it was pretty cool to see it here. Also it was kind of adorable how blatantly jealous Killua gets when Gon makes a new friend their age. (as one more note, i felt nothing in the end for the character and their story) Killua and Gon make this movie a lot more enjoyable and that's no real surprise.

Final thoughts
Ehh...it was okay. Wouldn't really recommend it. Leorio still sucks.

Digimon Universe: Appli Monsters 21:
This was a really fun episode. It didn't hit the same highs as episode 19, but it was a really good episode with a great focus on Eri. Pretty much all of her episodes so far have been winners. I liked how dedicated we saw her to her training, and even if things didn't completely work out in the end, she still gained some valuable insight into it. And I loved that Coachmon went from plotting against Eri as part of some evil plan to being moved by her plight and was just like "fuck this, I was supposed to betray you guys, but can I just join you instead?"

I was a tad disappointed that Oujamon didn't really get to do too much in his debut, but he did look pretty cool. And really, this episode was about Eri far more than it was Dokamon, so I think it's okay that the focus was more on her human determination than a big Appmon threat. Oujamon will have his chances to get some bigger wins in the future, I'm sure.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu: Sukeroku Futatabi-hen Episode 8:

I liked learning about another style of Rakugo in the beginning and I got to admit the big performance did not go down how I thought it would go down.

Ok, I'm officially all caught up on Scum's Wish. Episode 7 completely takes a shit on the"Childhood Friend" trope, pretty much deconstructing how frankly pathetic it is to define yourself solely on wanting a relationship with someone you knew as a kid.

Hyouka 10

What a double twist. Though it does feel odd that Oreki would forget such an important detail when he's proven fairly infallible until now.

KraytarJ

Ok, I'm officially all caught up on Scum's Wish. Episode 7 completely takes a shit on the"Childhood Friend" trope, pretty much deconstructing how frankly pathetic it is to define yourself solely on wanting a relationship with someone you knew as a kid.
While I did like Moca's character arc, for me the impact was a bit lessened by seeing Monogatari SS like a months ago and for me at least Nadeko's development was not only maybe a bit too similar to what Moca's turned out to be and on top of that it was just more interesting, devastating, with a more interesting fallout.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Snow Halation is so good, it's part of the goddamn SiIvaGunner meme phenomenon.

Oh, you mean the fanbase that almost tried to hate it out of existence.

Been following Giiva/Siiva since near the beginning, but. please understand, Snow Halation on its own is far bigger than it. If anything, the best thing about the Love Live rips (and the occasional iDOLM@STER one) is that they still manage to piss people off.

Narag

Oh, you mean the fanbase that almost tried to hate it out of existence.

Been following Giiva/Siiva since near the beginning, but. please understand, Snow Halation on its own is far bigger than it. If anything, the best thing about the Love Live rips (and the occasional iDOLM@STER one) is that they still manage to piss people off.

Find it funny that's the metric of success nowadays.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Find it funny that's the metric of success nowadays.

Wasn't really what I was saying, just that, being on the Internet, it's quite easy to feel your bubble in bigger than it really is. Kind of like how GAF often overestimates how big it is.

Narag

Wasn't really what I was saying, just that, being on the Internet, it's quite easy to feel your bubble in bigger than it really is. Kind of like how GAF often overestimates how big it is.

No, I was referring to the assertion you were countering. You ain't big until you're silvagunna big etc. Various maps of the internet threads in the OT were always good for a laugh. d2jsp? never heard of it. how is it so big??

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Wow, you're terrible! :p
The interesting thing about that statement is that by specifically saying "4 girls in a club", he wouldn't ban K-On, which has five members in its club. Usually K-On is seen as the textbook example of the kind of show the manime crew detest, but I guess even zulux21 has a soft spot for it.

blurr

March Comes in like a Lion 14

I cannot believe he actually lost
but that was an interesting turn of events.

Tekkon Kinkreet

The film's a visual feast, especially during its more trippy segments towards the end. The laid back tone during various points of the film helped soak in a lot of its colorful background work. It's aesthetically an interesting city, while it is mentioned as Japan, there are heavy influences of Indian suburbs. It's pretty blatant at that, Devanagari and Dravidian scripts all over the walls. The overall visual atmosphere was something I appreciate, really transports you to its world in an instant, whether it is White's imagination or simply their surroundings.

Narrative was well executed but I can't really say it particularly held my interest for long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom