• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

At Barnes & Noble,
Has a the final book of Nisekoi or SNAFU been translated and released in NA yet?

Also, what volume did Spice and Wolf S2 end at?

Dresden

Is La La Land really about Ryan Gosling saving jazz from black sell outs?

Nah. One thing the summaries miss is that Gosling is portrayed as a fan, not an artist. He's afraid of failure and lingers on tradition. He's not saving jazz. He's just keeping a piece of it that he loves safe somewhere.

At Barnes & Noble,
Has a the final book of Nisekoi or SNAFU been translated and released in NA yet?

Also, what volume did Spice and Wolf S2 end at?

Nisekoi is four volumes from finishing in print in America which should be done in december.

I dont think SNAFU is over even in JPN since there is a volume listed for april 2017 in jpn. English release is only at v2.

phaze

The reviewer's problem with Keith is that he represents commercial sellouts - someone who abandons the artistic integrity of jazz for the sake of base profit and popularity among mindless crowds. Overall, the issue he identifies is that La La Land sets up its two protagonists as the singular beacons of moral integrity pursuing art for art's sake in a cruel and callous world who continually trample on them and the purity of art in general. The conflict that comes about in the lead's romantic relationshop happens primarily because one of them sells out while the other sticks to her ideals. It's a very arch-Romantic view of The Artist vs. The World. Chazelle is hardly the first to glorify the artist as a prophet persecuted by an unintelligent world - and as a musician myself I have some sympathies for how that kind of mindset arises - but there's a danger of that becoming too narrow-minded and self-aggrandizing way of seeing the world.

As I write this, someone starts playing the opening number "Another Day of Sun" in a practice room behind me. Funny world we live in.

(awkward) I actually meant that bit: "The vocalist of a cover band for whom down-and-out jazz pianist Sebastian (Ryan Gosling) has been begrudgingly contributing keys humiliates him with oblivious gusto. " which from my memory is misreading of that minor scene to a ridiculous degree.

Regarding the rest, I'd say La La Land is not a unilateral endorsement of the 'purity of art", you can see that in how it pokes fun at Goslings character or how
he eventually warms up to Keith's endeavor, enough to take opposite side of argument to Mia, even if he later on goes back to his precious pure jazz.

Kuzu no Honkai 07
2mhu6de1sdes6scr.png

Dresden

Mostly caught up on Konosuba s2, just need to power through Maid Dragon now. Rather worried about episode six.

Also got a little curious about where Rewrite was but that opening was one of the ugliest I've seen.

duckroll

Sword Art Online - Ordinal Scale

I was really impressed by how "SAO" this was. Make no mistake, if you don't like SAO at all, the only thing you will find here is more fuel for your hatred. It is pure undistilled SAO. It's everything people love about SAO. It is everything people hate about SAO. It is SAO to the core. But if after two seasons of glop you still feel that it would be worth your time watching a 2 hour SAO film, damn does it deliver.

Glop glop glop.

Never has SAO felt this "SAO" since the first half of the first season when they were actually playing SAO. While Ordinal Scale is a "new" game, it is very much a direct sequel to SAO itself, more so than ALO and GGO. Everything here is about Kirito and Asuna, front and center, their relationship is everything that drives the film. For the first time ever, Kirito is reduced to a scrublord for a while, simply so the Lord Emperor of Gary Stus can rise up like a phoenix in the time of need to show that he is in fact perfectly good at ANYTHING he puts his mind to. Asuna is the perfect partner, and everything a lady should be in a sexist world of traditional gender roles. Not only is she understanding of everything Kirito does, but it is her vulnerability and the fear of her losing herself that motivates Kirito to be the man she needs him to be. At the same time, she is the strong female lead who will rise up and stand by her man's side to make the difference needed to win his battles. But make no mistake. They are his battles. His battles fought for her sake.

If somehow you have't thrown up yet and are still with me, you probably want to watch this film because the animation, the action, and the music, are all fucking hot.

Genocidal Organ

The male testosterone-filled military action thriller version of harmony. While harmony was a biting passive-aggressive protest at society from a feminine perspective of frustration and rejection of norms, Genocidal Organ is a bleak action packed protest at society from a masculine perspective of apathy and selective ignorance.

If harmony were Ico, then Genocidal Organ is Shadow of the Colossus. But no matter what, you'll still feel like shit after watching it.

phaze

Genocidal Organ

The male testosterone-filled military action thriller version of harmony. While harmony was a biting passive-aggressive protest at society from a feminine perspective of frustration and rejection of norms, Genocidal Organ is a bleak action packed protest at society from a masculine perspective of apathy and selective ignorance.

If harmony were Ico, then Genocidal Organ is Shadow of the Colossus. But no matter what, you'll still feel like shit after watching it.

Picked up.

Oh my god, John Wick 2 was awesome. And the non-action stuff was awesome. I dunno how you can hate fun actors chewing up the scenery. Laurence Fishburne, Common, Ruby Rose, the main bad guy...they were all just having a ball.

That movie was fucking great.

Edit: Wow, if Genocidal Organ is being compared to Harmony, I definitely need to see it now.

DNAbro

Hunter x Hunter: The Last Mission

Decided to watch the other movie and this one pretty much addressed all my complaints from the last one. Animation looked great. Villains were interesting enough for me to be somewhat invested. Fights were a lot more interesting and creative.

It was super cool to see Zushi and Wing again. Also more Netero is always good. Only have a few complaints. I wish Hisoka did something rather than just kind of being there for fan service. I couldn't really tell what exactly happened at the end other than Gon being all friendship power. It was still much nicer than the last movie that's for sure.

Actually recommend this one if you've watched HxH and haven't seen it.

EDIT: oh yeah I forgot one of the best parts. Return of the fishing rod!

Cornbread78

Sword Art Online - Ordinal Scale

I was really impressed by how "SAO" this was. Make no mistake, if you don't like SAO at all, the only thing you will find here is more fuel for your hatred. It is pure undistilled SAO. It's everything people love about SAO. It is everything people hate about SAO. It is SAO to the core. But if after two seasons of glop you still feel that it would be worth your time watching a 2 hour SAO film, damn does it deliver.

Glop glop glop.

Never has SAO felt this "SAO" since the first half of the first season when they were actually playing SAO. While Ordinal Scale is a "new" game, it is very much a direct sequel to SAO itself, more so than ALO and GGO. Everything here is about Kirito and Asuna, front and center, their relationship is everything that drives the film. For the first time ever, Kirito is reduced to a scrublord for a while, simply so the Lord Emperor of Gary Stus can rise up like a phoenix in the time of need to show that he is in fact perfectly good at ANYTHING he puts his mind to. Asuna is the perfect partner, and everything a lady should be in a sexist world of traditional gender roles. Not only is she understanding of everything Kirito does, but it is her vulnerability and the fear of her losing herself that motivates Kirito to be the man she needs him to be. At the same time, she is the strong female lead who will rise up and stand by her man's side to make the difference needed to win his battles. But make no mistake. They are his battles. His battles fought for her sake.

If somehow you have't thrown up yet and are still with me, you probably want to watch this film because the animation, the action, and the music, are all fucking hot.

I need this in my life NOW!

JulianImp

Genocidal Organ sounds like a detective drama/thriller about somebody receiving a transplant from an unidentified person found dead that turns out to be a serial murderer, and how the organ somehow begins turning its recipient into a psychopathic criminal murderer as well.

DiGiKerot

Genocidal Organ

Hmmmm. Is it worth reading the book of Genocidal Organ before seeing the movie, or is it worthwhile holding off on it until afterwards?

Genocidal Organ sounds like a detective drama/thriller about somebody receiving a transplant from an unidentified person found dead that turns out to be a serial murderer, and how the organ somehow begins turning its recipient into a psychopathic criminal murderer as well.

It sounds more like one of those old black and white monster movies where some stomach or something ends up in a horrible laboratory experiment gone wrong, gains consciousness, and just starts devouring people.

I'd watch that

It sounds more like one of those old black and white monster movies where some stomach or something ends up in a horrible laboratory experiment gone wrong, gains consciousness, and just starts devouring people.

I'd watch that too!

Jex

[Dragon Dentist] - 1

This story feels like a victim of feature creep. There's a potentially interesting, elegant idea for a story here that's just been buried under layers of detritus.

Here's an interesting concept for a story - what if a group of people lived on a giant dragon and their job was to protect its teeth from evil plaque monsters.

How about this idea - two nations are at war, but once nation is aided by the power of god-like beings. The asymmetry, by it's very nature, has the potential for interest.

Or how about a tale of the dead being reincarnated and given a new purpose in life? How would they deal with their past - or their future?

Better yet, ignore everything I've said before. Why don't we tell a story about predestination, where people are told about the exact moment of their deaths. How will they react? How will they chose to live their lives, knowing its exact end? Will they accept it - or will they rebel against fate?

Any of these ideas on their own would be enough to sustain an entire narrative. The Dragon Dentist tries to put all these ideas together into a single story and the end results are messy and unsatisfying. There's more concepts in this episode then there are well developed characters and that is extremely unfortunate.

So many different things happen in this episode that nothing gets the time it needs to develop organically. People speak in pseudo-exposition at all times because there's no room in the script for anything to develop naturally. A montage, as usual, is the shortcut for actual characterisation and development that we're never privy to. There's so much potentially going on with Bell and his journey that we never see or touch on. Considering what he's experienced you'd expect him to harbour some pretty powerful emotions or thoughts about the situation that he's faced with, but it barely comes up. Just so much wasted potential.

I don't even really want to get into the last 10 minutes or so because they were truly dreadful.

What? What are you talking about? Fuck you, show.

MCD

Chain Chronicles END

I really needed a fantasy RPG-like settings. Miss them so much nowadays.

Loved Aram but they didn't explain his bullshit powers and the end pace was rushed. felt like it needed another 12 eps tbh.

[Dragon Dentist] - 1

What? What are you talking about? Fuck you, show.

I'm not against a dense, layered story, you can tell a story that interweaves the dentist life and the soldier coming to terms to his sudden change of situation and at the same time have the war advance in the background and eventually affect our protagonists.

But this felt too rushed for all that it tries to tell, yep. It needed at least 15 minutes more and at the same time drop their last 10 minutes (the whole
betrayal and becoming a monster felt somehow out of place for this show and at the same time too typical for what it was before a pretty original anime
). In particular they lost me in the last part.

Cornbread78

Penguindrum ep.23
Watching anine while your family is shopping makes more sense than this. I mean, the Himari x Shouma scene was cute (not sure why she was naked again, but what is up?

Tiger Mask W 20

Again, why would you EVER trust a guy named Red Death Mask.

They had to fight robot Undertaker, who is less powerful then normal magic Undertaker. I'm glad Odin lived. He's actually a pretty good dude.

Tiger Mask W Episode 20

Odin had a hard life. Glad he made it tho. Another fun episode. Is this how Terminators were made? I could see wrestling being involved in their construction.

Also I really, really love how dark the shadows are in this show.

Jarmel

Banned
[Dragon Dentist] - 1

Any of these ideas on their own would be enough to sustain an entire narrative. The Dragon Dentist tries to put all these ideas together into a single story and the end results are messy and unsatisfying. There's more concepts in this episode then there are well developed characters and that is extremely unfortunate.

I don't even really want to get into the last 10 minutes or so because they were truly dreadful.

I'm actually curious if this was planned as TV show as they try to jam half a dozen different concepts together as a result the episode feels particularly disjointed.

Also yes, the last ten minutes are godawful.

3Kaze

Sounds about right. I would say the story itself is the worst part of the movie. I couldn't care less about the relationship between Kirito and Asuna but that dumb conspiracy and dumb edgelord no 2 were soooooo offensive. It's okay though, that last boss battle fucking delivered.

Escaflowne Episode 14
C5jCr0CWAAAvnyH.jpg:small

Great shot of Van but this whole episode was just bad.
if he goes crazy and stuff please dont, I already struggled to endure him being in pain during and after battle, but that would be too much

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom