• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

3-gatsu ep.18
This was an interesting episode watching Rei
take care of Mr. Shimada
instead of someone taking care of him. Such an odd occurrence from everything that has been seen throughout the series thus far. Personal growth perhaps?

Narag

Yes! Precure 6
kAHOJEkl.png

Hoping the rest of the show is like Karen's arc and it's about people facing their own shortcomings.

Cornbread78

It's incredibly conclusive, though? Every plotline gets wrapped up and there's a pretty clear ending that brings the whole story to a thematically appropriate conclusion. I can understand perhaps being puzzled by a couple of aspects of the ending, but it certainly wraps everything up.
And for my money it's a pretty damn great ending, and extremely satisfying on an emotional level.

Is it though?

So here are some things that confused me

Yuri & Tsubasa died at the end to bring back Shouma and Kanba, but nobody knows who they are or have memories of them? Why would they at that point? Kanba's biological sister also comes back to life with her brother Mario being healthy, but again, she doesn'the remember Kanba, her twin?What happened to the doctor? Was his fate changed by Momoka's spell being completed by Ringo? Who were the penguins? What did Shouma, Kanba and Himari's "parents" even do? They really weren't brother, but where are their real parents?

There is more, but it feels like I either missed a couple episodes or things were just explained so crypticly that I would have to have been focusing 100% on every word spoken and every visual symbol presented to understand.

Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu S2 8

You can see the crunch of schedule taking its toll on the production, both with the relatively large number of animation directors and key animators in the credits and the lack of polish that crops up in the animation during a fair number of cuts. This episode was outsourced to A.P.P.P. too. Still, I can hardly complain when the direction is still so strong and moments such as Yotaro's recreation of Sukeroku's last performance so powerful. I got chills as soon as the performance kicked in. Sukeroku's ghost has haunted the entire season (which has the Japanese subtitle of "Sukeroku Anew Arc", unfortunately lost in the English translation), but while that is often felt as a menacing presence by Yakumo, here Yotaro invoked his ghost as a means of cleansing, recalling the love and warmth of days long gone in order to provide continued inspiration for both Konatsu and the still-not-dead-yet Yakumo. It's a testament to the power of recorded memory and recreated tradition.

Then the police had to burst in and ruin the moment. Oh well.

Yeah Rakugo's production is faltering a bit but the show is so well directed and crafted that it hardly makes a difference on my opinion of it. It really showed in this episode because there were a bunch of people being focused on

Koro Sensei Quest! Episode 8 – Big Bad Switcheroo
C5j65vwWcAEOhaz.jpg:small

Should have known Karma-kun would do that while in nagisa body. Itona was my favorite of the switched pairs. I finally realized he is voiced by the same person that did Naegs in DanganAnime, cant believe it took me this long to realize it, but the more playful tone of this Itona made me realize it.

Okajima gave really good lifes, as did Isogai doing the Okajima/Maehara face. Chiba and Hayami making the switch was actually pretty smart. Perfect.

It's incredibly conclusive, though? Every plotline gets wrapped up and there's a pretty clear ending that brings the whole story to a thematically appropriate conclusion. I can understand perhaps being puzzled by a couple of aspects of the ending, but it certainly wraps everything up.

And for my money it's a pretty damn great ending, and extremely satisfying on an emotional level.

Uh... Can't say I agree here.

Yeah Rakugo's production is faltering a bit but the show is so well directed and crafted that it hardly makes a difference on my opinion of it. It really showed in this episode because there were a bunch of people being focused on

I have a fair degree of tolerance for inconsistent animation as long as the rest of the production remains sound. I'm aware of how difficult the animation process is, after all, so I can't afford to be too picky unless I want to only watch KyoAni TV anime or wait for the BDs. There were a lot of great close-ups in this episode anyway; it was easy to see that the time for corrections had been carefully allotted to the most important shots.

Yeah that new My Hero Academia S2 trailer does look nice.

I will say I'm not feeling that song at all tho.

BTW, will this new season have to have as much dimming as the last one?

Is La La Land really about Ryan Gosling saving jazz from black sell outs?

http://www.mtv.com/news/2965622/la-la-lands-white-jazz-narrative/

Yeah. I really would watch the SAO film over this.

In a perfect world, 2016 would have had both A Silent Voice and Your Name already selling out in mainstream U.S. theaters neck-in-neck for Oscars with "White Savior of Jazz" Land a box office bust.
Oh, and Bernie becoming president.

So it's a school tournament arc? Lovely. The Umakoshi seems much stronger here than what I saw of the broadcast version of the first season though, thankfully.

Yeah that new My Hero Academia S2 trailer does look nice.

I will say I'm not feeling that song at all tho.

BTW, will this new season have to have as much dimming as the last one?

It's moved over to a new TV broadcast channel - from MBS to YTV - so it depends on whether YTV's standards for dimming are as strict as MBS'.

Quasar

I think we've hit the peak of run out of ideas for Isekai

So when does it become an anime?

I dunno. I like the idea. Being stuck in medieval times with google etc would be pretty interesting. Well assuming you don't get strung up for being a witch.

JulianImp

Is it though?

So here are some things that confused me

Yuri & Tsubasa died at the end to bring back Shouma and Kanba, but nobody knows who they are or have memories of them? Why would they at that point? Kanba's biological sister also comes back to life with her brother Mario being healthy, but again, she doesn'the remember Kanba, her twin?What happened to the doctor? Was his fate changed by Momoka's spell being completed by Ringo? Who were the penguins? What did Shouma, Kanba and Himari's "parents" even do? They really weren't brother, but where are their real parents?

There is more, but it feels like I either missed a couple episodes or things were just explained so crypticly that I would have to have been focusing 100% on every word spoken and every visual symbol presented to understand.

I'll be answering off the top of my head, so some explanations might be wrong, but here goes:
Ringo completed the reality shift, which would erase someone from existence as a side-effect (or cost), and Shouma took the tool upon himself. The doctor was sealed again thanks to Momoka's spell. Kanba ceased to exist after he gave up his penguindrum fragment to save Himari after hers, which she had actually received from Shouma, who had gotten his from Kanba, was depleted. The MC's parents were part of a terrorist organization that bombed several subway stations, and it looks like the "95" that's seen all over the place throughout the show alleges to a series of subway bombings that happened in Japan in 1995. AFAIK, we never know who the MC's parents really are, and it doesn't actually matter. They were all taken in by the couple who ended up involving themselves with the 95' subway bombing scheme.

You could also see the penguindrum as life itself or something, since Kanba and Shouma were about to starve to death until Kanba found the apple (penguindrum), and shared it with Shouma to save him as well, and then Shouma also shared his with Himari when she was alone and forgotten, giving her a chance to lead a normal life (even though their "parents" ended up getting themselves involved in that bombing incident later on). The mawaru penguindrum (shifting or rotating penguindrum) means just that, the fruit of fate/love (an apple) that was shared and passed around the three siblings repeatedly throughout the show.

I dunno. I like the idea. Being stuck in medieval times with google etc would be pretty interesting. Well assuming you don't get strung up for being a witch.

Except for the whole part of no wi-fi, satellite or cell coverage anywhere, making internet-based apps or things that use GPS completely useless, you know. You'd probably have access to a couple nifty apps, but then again you'd need to find a way to charge the battery or you'd end up getting less than a day's worth of app usage before it dies for good.

Watching Super Robot Wars V clips on youtube and oh my god Kouji Kabuto just gave Shinji Ikari the "You can become a god or devil" speech and I'm currently having a mecha anime fangasm right now.

Quasar

Except for the whole part of no wi-fi, satellite or cell coverage anywhere, making internet-based apps or things that use GPS completely useless, you know. You'd probably have access to a couple nifty apps, but then again you'd need to find a way to charge the battery or you'd end up getting less than a day's worth of app usage before it dies for good.

My understanding of the book was that internet worked just not communication stuff. Obviously GPS wouldn't work though.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.

In a perfect world, 2016 would have had both A Silent Voice and Your Name already selling out in mainstream U.S. theaters neck-in-neck for Oscars with "White Savior of Jazz" Land a box office bust.
An advertisement for Van Vechten's 1926 novel in The New Yorker once asked, ”Why go to Harlem cabarets when you can read Nigger Heaven?" Perhaps now you could just watch La La Land.
damn

mAcOdIn

Going to another world with your cellphone's stupid as shit. Army of Darkness did it better when Ash just opened the trunk of his car and whipped out some college textbooks, at least that would work.

That said though, it's hard to really hate on the premise too much when it's pretty damn similar to these shows that have some kind of "magic" app for certain users on their cell phones. At that point, whether your phone's in another world or another world or plane is communicating or bestowing magic powers to you through your cellphone in the "real" world it all might as well just be magic. I have no idea why those powers that be would need to use your cellphone to pull that shit off in either world so it's just something for the viewer to connect with I guess.

JulianImp

My understanding of the book was that internet worked just not communication stuff. Obviously GPS wouldn't work though.

Looking at the cover, it seemed like the MC was sent to a generic fantasy world. Good for him that the parallel reality he got sent to actually global connections to Earth's DNS systems and servers, I guess, but that seems weird and contrived as hell. I take it he has a way to keep using it without the battery dying as well, then?

Jojo's Bizzare Adventure 18

Why are all the Italian accents in the dub so honest to god awful? Between Bryce Papenbrook's distractingly bad accent for Caesar and Suzi Q's accent being so godawful that
ACDC taking over her body is a welcome change.
All the other accents in the series are pretty good and even add to the camp elements of the series but the Italian accents are so shit, particularly for someone like myself who is Italian. Seriously, does Bang Zoom not know anyone who can do a proper Italian accent?

JulianImp

That said though, it's hard to really hate on the premise too much when it's pretty damn similar to these shows that have some kind of "magic" app for certain users on their cell phones.

I tend to not like stuff that invokes the "A wizard did it" trope, so magic apps aren't my cup of tea either. I can look past some things just being there, but the thought of taking an everyday item from the real world and making it do random weird stuff is a lot stranger to me than just coming up with something else instead. It's kind of like appas (or ringas) in Re:Zero, which made me cringe a bit whenever someone mentioned them.

Chindogg

High School DxD ep.2
The best thing I can say is at least this MC is pretty fun and embraces his horny ways, lol

The show's great until season 3, mainly because they try to shove 4 volumes of the LN into one season and have an anime original ending that was so bad the LN writer wrote an extra book to prevent it from becoming canon.

Enjoy it while you can. He'll still have Dense Harem Lead Syndrome for a while.

There's a reason why he's dense, which is explained in season 3 but really fucking poorly.

Have you seen the movie? It's not like that at all. It's basically a callback to all those song and dance films of the 40s and the film shows how terrible Gyllenhaal's character actually is. He's basically a shitty hipster trying to revive what he feels as a dead era.

The movie's typical Hollywood praising itself shlock that wins awards, but it's nowhere near what these articles keep proclaiming.

Pundere

Monogatari S2 - Mayoi Jiangshi
Time travel hijinks usually end up going wrong, but not zombie apocalypse wrong. Arc ends up mostly being about Shinobu - excuse me, Kiss-shot Acerola-orion Heart-under-blade (fucking kill me) because Hachikuji isn't interesting enough to carry another arc. Would've been pretty awesome to see the three exorcist buddies going to take the big bad vampire on.

I like the running joke of everyone being surprised Araragi ends up with Senjyogahara. It's almost like they know...

Time travel hijinks usually end up going wrong, but not zombie apocalypse wrong. Arc ends up mostly being about Shinobu - excuse me, Kiss-shot Acerola-orion Heart-under-blade (fucking kill me) because Hachikuji isn't interesting enough to carry another arc. Would've been pretty awesome to see the three exorcist buddies going to take the big bad vampire on.

I like the running joke of everyone being surprised Araragi ends up with Senjyogahara. It's almost like they know...

Excuse you. Its Kiss-Shot Acerola-Orion Heart-Under-Blade, the iron-blooded, hot-blooded, yet cold-blooded vampire.

Cornbread78

I'll be answering off the top of my head, so some explanations might be wrong, but here goes:
Ringo completed the reality shift, which would erase someone from existence as a side-effect (or cost), and Shouma took the tool upon himself. The doctor was sealed again thanks to Momoka's spell. Kanba ceased to exist after he gave up his penguindrum fragment to save Himari after hers, which she had actually received from Shouma, who had gotten his from Kanba, was depleted. The MC's parents were part of a terrorist organization that bombed several subway stations, and it looks like the "95" that's seen all over the place throughout the show alleges to a series of subway bombings that happened in Japan in 1995. AFAIK, we never know who the MC's parents really are, and it doesn't actually matter. They were all taken in by the couple who ended up involving themselves with the 95' subway bombing scheme.

You could also see the penguindrum as life itself or something, since Kanba and Shouma were about to starve to death until Kanba found the apple (penguindrum), and shared it with Shouma to save him as well, and then Shouma also shared his with Himari when she was alone and forgotten, giving her a chance to lead a normal life (even though their "parents" ended up getting themselves involved in that bombing incident later on). The mawaru penguindrum (shifting or rotating penguindrum) means just that, the fruit of fate/love (an apple) that was shared and passed around the three siblings repeatedly throughout the show.

Now the apple symbolism makes more sense at least, but what was the doctor using

to keep Himari alive? Is it as plain as "magic" as described? Where was the train heading with the doctor? Destroy the world how? What was Jabba giving up to get the money from the organization?

So many things were unclear at the end, lol.

Well as long as Akeno has plenty of screen time I'm happy. But yeah, a MC being as forward as he is is pretty nice.

Enjoy it while you can. He'll still have Dense Harem Lead Syndrome for a while.

The show's great until season 3, mainly because they try to shove 4 volumes of the LN into one season and have an anime original ending that was so bad the LN writer wrote an extra book to prevent it from becoming canon.

There's a reason why he's dense, which is explained in season 3 but really fucking poorly.

Well, as long as it'stands stupid fun, and doesn't go disgusting on me, that's all I can ask of it.

Jarmel

Banned
Dragon Dentist-2

This was complete shit. I'm actually angry now. There was only one good sequence in this, the tooth diving scene. That part really reminded me of MeMeMe.

Bell was an awful main character, the villain has blatant plot armor and knows it, the art direction in a number of scenes was nonexistent, the fighting scenes are terribly edited and lacking in all manner, any sort of theme is at best half-assed and is closer to incomprehensive than anything else, and the constant CGI is beyond distracting.

Easily the worst thing Tsurumaki has ever directed.

zulux21

And you thought there is never a girl online? Fin

so, end thoughts are it isn't great, but it isn't bad either.
great background noise show and really this show is kind of like a cross between a 4 girls in a club show and sword art online :p

overall I didn't mind the cast of characters, and most of the time the story was interesting enough. nothing really grabbed my attention about it, and I will likely forget most of it, but it was at least good enough that I will likely buy it when it's a S.A.V.E. release.

lets see what is next looks like, A good librarian like a good shepherd, as I continue my quest to watch at least 3 episodes of every single show that funimation has dubbed on their service lol.

I will have to give afro samurai another try when I am in a more serious mood as the last two times I tried it it really did nothing for me.
glancing a head there are 26 shows that start with a on funimation, of those two are live action 3 that I haven't seen are sequels to shows I already saw but didn't watch the sequels so I don't know if I will bother with those. I mean I might suffer through an ep of alien vs ninja for the heck of it, but excluding those I only have 2 more shows in A that I haven't seen at least 3 eps of. Armitage III, absolute duo, and AccA: 13-territory inspection.

I do also need to finish, aethestica of a rogue hero (actually MAl says I finished it... guess it was just that forgettable lol), aldermin on the sky, all out, appleseed, and attack on titan junior high :/ so yeah As shouldn't take super long to finish

*glances at Bs* oh god, I am gonna hate myself. bikini warriors, blessing of the campanella,. blrothers conflic and buddy complex eh...

edit: despite the listing good shepherd doesn't have a dub so on to absolute duo.

KraytarJ

Probably my least favourite second season arc. The rest is one hell of a run though.

Line_HTX

The Ministry of the Environment is going to use this pair of moe to raise awareness on the dangers of climate change.

58c8d00113dfb257a3b6e69434fcdde21488038526_full.jpg

It's always good to clean up and tidy after yourself.

Chindogg

Now the apple symbolism makes more sense at least, but what was the doctor using

to keep Himari alive? Is it as plain as "magic" as described? Where was the train heading with the doctor? Destroy the world how? What was Jabba giving up to get the money from the organization?

So many things were unclear at the end, lol.

Well, as long as it'stands stupid fun, and doesn't go disgusting on me, that's all I can ask of it.

The closest you get to potential sexual assault that isn't goofy tentacle monsters is the Riser Phoenix arc but it's nowhere as bad as anything in SAO and Issei puts a stop to that shit real quick. Oh there's an arc toward the end of season 3 but once again it's not that bad.

I'll catch shit for this, but I actually really like that series. Bell's of course dense but he's earnest and innocent and everyone else around him is trying to corrupt him.

I can't seem to watch Anime anymore

I had only casually watched the occasional show up until 4 years ago when it snowballed into a habit. I had a blast picking up and binge watching a bunch of old shows and then hopping on the airing schedules, bouncing back and forth between different series week after week. Since I was studying animation, I found it was a great way to expand my visual library. But sometime last summer, my interest waned for a variety of reasons and now I can't seem to get back into it.

I'm not terribly picky when it comes to what I watch, and it's not like I'm opposed to watching "trash". I've sat through plenty of 5's and 6's and it's rare that I'll drop something if I make it passed the first episode (I sat through Cross Ange after all)

But I've reached a point where the kind of shows I used to grab from the bargain bin like that and throw on no longer hold my attention. Suddenly a check list of tropes is a huge turnoff and the artistic qualities of a show carry more weight. I'm also having a difficult time getting passed a stupid premise or insufferable characters even moreso than I used to.

I scrolled through the fall and winter airing lists and didn't really find much that appealed to me. Hell, I liked Shokugeki no Soma and I can't bring myself to watch the second season. Most of the others that stood out based on my old preferences were for the most part rated poorly and I'm wondering if I'm just growing out of it.

So far, the exception seems to be Little Witch Academia. I was a big fan of the OVAs for their extraordinary animation and presentation. The TV series is off to a slow start, but it otherwise continues that trend. Whereas I look up something more "traditional" and I struggle to get passed boring animation, poor fight cinematography and the same character tropes I've seen across hundreds of shows, LWA is a breath of fresh air.

I've already seen all the "good" shows that everyone recommends (except those ones. Yes, those ones) and most of the other stuff is hard to find, so it seems I'm caught in a bind.

I might just start rewatching old stuff again.

dan2026

So it's a school tournament arc? Lovely. The Umakoshi seems much stronger here than what I saw of the broadcast version of the first season though, thankfully.

It's moved over to a new TV broadcast channel - from MBS to YTV - so it depends on whether YTV's standards for dimming are as strict as MBS'.
Forgive my ignorance, but what is dimming?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom