• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ascheroth

I can't seem to watch Anime anymore

I had only casually watched the occasional show up until 4 years ago when it snowballed into a habit. I had a blast picking up and binge watching a bunch of old shows and then hopping on the airing schedules, bouncing back and forth between different series week after week. Since I was studying animation, I found it was a great way to expand my visual library. But sometime last summer, my interest waned for a variety of reasons and now I can't seem to get back into it.

I'm not terribly picky when it comes to what I watch, and it's not like I'm opposed to watching "trash". I've sat through plenty of 5's and 6's and it's rare that I'll drop something if I make it passed the first episode (I sat through Cross Ange after all)

But I've reached a point where the kind of shows I used to grab from the bargain bin like that and throw on no longer hold my attention. Suddenly a check list of tropes is a huge turnoff and the artistic qualities of a show carry more weight. I'm also having a difficult time getting passed a stupid premise or insufferable characters even moreso than I used to.

I scrolled through the fall and winter airing lists and didn't really find much that appealed to me. Hell, I liked Shokugeki no Soma and I can't bring myself to watch the second season. Most of the others that stood out based on my old preferences were for the most part rated poorly and I'm wondering if I'm just growing out of it.

So far, the exception seems to be Little Witch Academia. I was a big fan of the OVAs for their extraordinary animation and presentation. The TV series is off to a slow start, but it otherwise continues that trend. Whereas I look up something more "traditional" and I struggle to get passed boring animation, poor fight cinematography and the same character tropes I've seen across hundreds of shows, LWA is a breath of fresh air.

I've already seen all the "good" shows that everyone recommends (except those ones. Yes, those ones) and most of the other stuff is hard to find, so it seems I'm caught in a bind.

I might just start rewatching old stuff again.

Nothing wrong with growing a little tired of something now and then and also nothing wrong with developing higher standards :p.

I personally don't care much about scores, some shows I really like are rated very poor. So I'd say, if you think you're going to like something just try and see for yourself regardless of scores on some sites.

For example, Majin Bone has a 6.84 on MAL but it's absolutely fantastic, or Kagewani is even lower with 6.54 and also great.

We could probably find a few shows you'd like if you give us some more infos.

Nothing wrong with growing a little tired of something now and then and also nothing wrong with developing higher standards :p.

I personally don't care much about scores, some shows I really like are rated very poor. So I'd say, if you think you're going to like something just try and see for yourself regardless of scores on some sites.

For example, Majin Bone has a 6.84 on MAL but it's absolutely fantastic, or Kagewani is even lower with 6.54 and also great.

We could probably find a few shows you'd like if you give us some more infos.

Oh yea I'm not anal about scores. I view them as a way to gauge "audience", where a lower score means it'll appeal to less people. And then when I rates stuff on my own, it's a mix between how much I enjoyed the show and how good I think it is. For me, anything above a 7 is rewatchable, and then I go up from there depending on whether i liked the characters, the animation, the music, the universe, or the story.

Anyway here's my MAL, although be warned it's a bit outdated. I did hide my scores though :p

I usually gravitate towards action and adventure stuff with a preference towards fantasy and thrillers. I like space sci fi and magic too, but I haven't seen many that aren't cluttered with exposition. Log Horizon killed any patience I had for long winded world building and I've avoided those kinds of shows ever since. Similarly, I think i'm burnt out on mecha and floating girls fighting random aliens. Comedy and some of the more egregious stuff is fine if it's a subgenre.

Basically the only thing I truly away from are sports, slapstick comedies, fuedal japan/samurai stuff and straight romances unless it's got some sick music like Clannad.

Which reminds me, I forgot to mention that downloading a show's OST was one of my favorite things to do back then and I guess now that I'm stuck watching airing anime, I don't really get to keep up with them.

The Dragon Dentist 2

The animation is good, and there are some good moments like Bell's death, the tooth dive or the super mushi cavity, but in general, it's worse than the first episode. The script is the problem, mainly.

-You have the super lucky "survivor" bad guy with a nice plot armor.

-You have the bad woman-monster who still really cares for our protagonist despite going full betrayal a day before.

-You have Bell who deserves a few good slaps, now he decides to have his 'doubt' phase even if it made more sense to have it on the previous episode than now. The main point, about knowing your death and accepting/refusing it, which I think it's the big point of the series beyond the normal moment-to-moment action, doesn't make a lot of sense to me, some characters seem a bit dense around the issue.

Just because your moment of death is shown doesn't mean you are going to die faster than other people that don't know it, shouting "why don't you try to live more!" to Nonoko doesn't make sense. How are you going to fight it, in the first place? We have to understand is fucking divination magic and in this universe unmovable fate exists.
For example:
np4slYm.png
Saying "I don't want to see you die" is almost puerile, like when little kids learn that their parents will die some day, as she said, everyone dies.

Look Bell, it isn't the moment to turn red just because she said to take their hand. You are in a fucking high action chase scene, she is just offering her hand to jump into the plan, not offering marriage. As the montage scene in the previous episode shown you were close already, so what the hell.

The end, with
Nonoko still searching for Bell when he has died already is sad, but somehow in a hilarious way.

Also, could we finish with the trope of violent girls that kick men just because they want in anime? Pretty please?

Ascheroth

Oh yea I'm not anal about scores. I view them as a way to gauge "audience", where a lower score means it'll appeal to less people. And then when I rates stuff on my own, it's a mix between how much I enjoyed the show and how good I think it is. For me, anything above a 7 is rewatchable, and then I go up from there depending on whether i liked the characters, the animation, the music, the universe, or the story.

Anyway here's my MAL, although be warned it's a bit outdated. I did hide my scores though :p

I usually gravitate towards action and adventure stuff with a preference towards fantasy and thrillers. I like space sci fi and magic too, but I haven't seen many that aren't cluttered with exposition. Log Horizon killed any patience I had for long winded world building and I've avoided those kinds of shows ever since. Similarly, I think i'm burnt out on mecha and floating girls fighting random aliens. Comedy and some of the more egregious stuff is fine if it's a subgenre.

Basically the only thing I truly away from are sports, slapstick comedies, fuedal japan/samurai stuff and straight romances unless it's got some sick music like Clannad.

Which reminds me, I forgot to mention that downloading a show's OST was one of my favorite things to do back then and I guess now that I'm stuck watching airing anime, I don't really get to keep up with them.
Mob Psycho 100 is pretty much a must watch since you said you like good animation and style.
Thunderbolt Fantasy, to shake up the anime weariness with some puppets :p
Majin Bone
Girls und Panzer
Hunter x Hunter 2011 if you're in the mood for something longer
Mushishi for something calmer
Kagewani for something creepy (avoid the second season at all costs though)

Some hot-blooded mecha (that don't involve fighting random floating aliens with generic names, but disregard this if you meant mechs in general):
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
Shin Mazinger Z
Gundam Build Fighters
Danball Senki
Gunbuster
Diebuster
Kuromukuro (though that's not exactly the hot-blooded variant)

I'm also noticing a severe lack of JoJo there. The 2012 anime comes first, then Stardust Crusaders and Diamond is Unbreakable afterwards.

Those are a few I consider great that I haven't found on your list.

jgminto

Gundam Tekketsu 45
Just kill me already, this shit is too tragic to bear. This episode was a great example of how to maintain emotional weight through a largely obvious turn of events.
From the moment the plan is suggested, it's obvious that Shino's plan won't work in some way and if the writing and direction was of lower caliber this episode, the tension would have diffused long before the credits rolled. But seeing the core of Tekkadan slowly unfurl as they've been locked into a battle they can't retreat from is emotionally gutwrenching.
Now excuse me as I go drown my sorrows in cheap Gin.

Qurupeke

The Dragon Dentist 2

I liked it. The first part had gone a bit overboard with its ending, but I felt that this one had a nice,
and sad
, conclusion. It had some eyebrow raising moments, like the plot armor villain, but overall it was certainly cool. The dragon tooth diving sequence was fantastic.

blurr

Iron Blooded Orphans S2 20

It's been a while when I said "Ooooooooh" out loud while watching something.

Your Name

This was alright but
I felt its fantasy elements were getting more attention than the characters and their relationships(not just with each other but also the people around them)
towards the later half of it. A few things conveniently fell into place but one could overlook them, they aren't particularly jarring issues but it would've been better if fleshed out.

It showed promise until the point we find out
Itomori was actually destroyed
beyond which, it did head to a sensible direction but I wasn't particularly impressed. Partly because I've seen enough stories that unfolded in a similar fashion and a few sketchy moments.

Super Lovers Episode 5
C5mFXBSWcAIuA-p.jpg:small

Fractured arm...welp no action. Im glad Natsuo and Haru finally interacted, Im just hoping he continues to stay apart of the plot. Kind of like him and Haru's interaction and with Ren. Though they could be nicer to him since he is family.

I didnt realize Ikuyoshi stayed in the same complex that Ren and Haru used to live in. Though just how poor is Ikuyoshi if he gets all his things from Haru :(

I had only casually watched the occasional show up until 4 years ago when it snowballed into a habit. I had a blast picking up and binge watching a bunch of old shows and then hopping on the airing schedules, bouncing back and forth between different series week after week. Since I was studying animation, I found it was a great way to expand my visual library. But sometime last summer, my interest waned for a variety of reasons and now I can't seem to get back into it.

I'm not terribly picky when it comes to what I watch, and it's not like I'm opposed to watching "trash". I've sat through plenty of 5's and 6's and it's rare that I'll drop something if I make it passed the first episode (I sat through Cross Ange after all)

But I've reached a point where the kind of shows I used to grab from the bargain bin like that and throw on no longer hold my attention. Suddenly a check list of tropes is a huge turnoff and the artistic qualities of a show carry more weight. I'm also having a difficult time getting passed a stupid premise or insufferable characters even moreso than I used to.

I scrolled through the fall and winter airing lists and didn't really find much that appealed to me. Hell, I liked Shokugeki no Soma and I can't bring myself to watch the second season. Most of the others that stood out based on my old preferences were for the most part rated poorly and I'm wondering if I'm just growing out of it.

So far, the exception seems to be Little Witch Academia. I was a big fan of the OVAs for their extraordinary animation and presentation. The TV series is off to a slow start, but it otherwise continues that trend. Whereas I look up something more "traditional" and I struggle to get passed boring animation, poor fight cinematography and the same character tropes I've seen across hundreds of shows, LWA is a breath of fresh air.

I've already seen all the "good" shows that everyone recommends (except those ones. Yes, those ones) and most of the other stuff is hard to find, so it seems I'm caught in a bind.

According to your MAL list, you haven't even watched such popular and widely recommended anime as Baccano or Samurai Champloo, so I'm going to have to call doubt here.

Narag

According to your MAL list, you haven't even watched such popular and widely recommended anime as Baccano or Samurai Champloo, so I'm going to have to call doubt here.

Maybe he fell into the usual recommendation trap where someone can say "Man I sure would like some sort of lowkey baseball anime." only to get responses like "You should watch TTGL and Death Note!"

I was referring to people who were going to recommend "Cowboy Bebop", which I picked up after disliking Samurai Champloo.

Never heard of Baccano before though but it's probably going to fall in the "hard to find" category considering how old it is.

Maybe he fell into the usual recommendation trap where someone can say "Man I sure would like some sort of lowkey baseball anime." only to get responses like "You should watch TTGL and Death Note!"

I was moreso trying to throw the typical shounen anime under one blanket without making my post longer than it already was.

I would suggest watching Hand Shakers. Its really one of the best anime this year.

Cornbread78

The closest you get to potential sexual assault that isn't goofy tentacle monsters is the Riser Phoenix arc but it's nowhere as bad as anything in SAO and Issei puts a stop to that shit real quick. Oh there's an arc toward the end of season 3 but once again it's not that bad.

I'll catch shit for this, but I actually really like that series. Bell's of course dense but he's earnest and innocent and everyone else around him is trying to corrupt him.

Good to hear. No loli shit I take it?

I would suggest watching Hand Shakers. Its really one of the best anime this year.

No one suggests Battery?

These are "DTL" recs.

I'm the only other person watching HS and just no.

not sure if serious
DTLs recommendations and tastes are fairly out there. He means well but his metric of what is good and bad doesn't seem to follow a standard system.

If you haven't watched Baccano do watch it, it's one of the shows I went out of my way to buy a Blu ray of. And 100% watch it in the English dub, they give every character appropriate accents since it's a mystery mafia story set in the US.

It's not like fullmetal alchemist except in the sense it's easily appealing to western fans and has some supernatural aspect to it I guess.

DTLs recommendations and tastes are fairly out there. He means well but his metric of what is good and bad doesn't seem to follow a standard system.

If you haven't watched Baccano do watch it, it's one of the shows I went out of my way to buy a Blu ray of. And 100% watch it in the English dub, they give every character appropriate accents since it's a mystery mafia story set in the US.

It's not like fullmetal alchemist except in the sense it's easily appealing to western fans and has some supernatural aspect to it I guess.

th_tumblr_m4wonw8ltd1qjebobo1_500.gif

Control + F

Envangelion ...0 results
Mushishi ...0 results
Planetes ...0 results
Ping Pong ...0 results
Uchouten kazoku ...0 results

Meanwhile, you are watching 38 series and have completed another 188 shows.

Maybe you should stop watching garbage. Just saying.

Control + F

Envangelion ...0 results
Mushishi ...0 results
Planetes ...0 results
Ping Pong ...0 results
Uchouten kazoku ...0 results

Meanwhile, you are watching 38 series and have completed another 188 shows.

Maybe you should stop watching garbage. Just saying.
I believe I mentioned that the list was outdated because I haven't watched anything since last summer. I only made it public to avoid explaining for the upteenth time that I have already watched One Punch Man and most of the recent shit I've seen in the last 6 months of "recommend me some anime" threads. I suppose it's not much help though since I don't list everything I pick up and drop.

I did say I wasn't into sports or comedy and teenaged japanese drama doesn't do anything for me anymore, so I've passed on most of those already.

I feel like someone just walked over my grave.

It's 10 years old?

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans Season 2, Episode 20:

Well, if nothing else this battle now certainly feels like it has finality behind it. Still don't really care about either side though.

The eccentric family should be up your alley then. It's a nice supernatural drama of a family of tanukis and the world they live in. Definitely give it a watch as well, considering the sequel is coming a watch and it was a gaf darling when it first aired.

I wouldnt ever suggest baccano. Its not a good way to tell a story and it has some significant faults. The better work from the writer is Durarara which is also a wonderful adaptation even the original content. Baccano works better as a novel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom