• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.
The way you phrased it made it sound like the show was ancient. It's hardly difficult to find most stuff from the past 25 years (none of which I would personally call old, but that's just me). It's a show from 2007, not a 1980s anime.

Sure but I haven't been recommended shows that old unless they were more widely known. But whatever I suppose I'll have to find a more consistent way to vet series if I want to start watching stuff again.

Sterok

Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans S2 20

Someone had to bite it, and this time it was Shino. At least he looked cool while dying, but of course he wasn't taking out Rustal at this stage. Sucks to be Yamagi. And why was Iok getting in front of Rustal for? That won't do anything you idiot. Rustal's false flag operation kind of rings hollow considering he had an armada of Dainsleif ready to use the moment he had his justification. Julietta did well in slowing down Mikazuki. McGillis needs a better plan, because he doesn't seem to have a way to beat Rustal other than hope Tekkadan does something crazy.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Baccano is extremely old. Out of print in the US. And not on any streaming site.

Szadek

CardCaptor Sakura - Ep. 57
Eriol, I get that you want to ship Li and Sakura,but you don't have to be such an asshole about it.

Sure but I haven't been recommended shows that old unless they were more widely known. But whatever I suppose I'll have to find a more consistent way to vet series if I want to start watching stuff again.

What kind of time warp did you fall through where Baccano isn't widely known while Familiar of Zero is?

It is true that Baccano is in an odd licensing limbo right now, since Aniplex of America took the US rights back from Funimation last year but they haven't yet rereleased it themselves on streaming services or disc. Hopefully that'll change one day.

Anyway, this thread isn't a bad place to vet series if you do want to watch anime (as long as you use some independent discretion as well and are aware of the inclinations of certain posters).

Grexeno

Dragon Ball Super 08

"Quick, we need to fabricate a whole episode out of thin air. Let's have Beerus play RPS with Oolong."

Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters 08

Ah. I'm losing.

Ah.

Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn RE:0096 08

Like, I'm totally out of stuff to say about this show. It's a nothing show.

Hunter x Hunter 40

Haikus are easy
but sometimes don't make sense
refrigerator

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 04

I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes.

What kind of time warp did you fall through where Baccano isn't widely known while Familiar of Zero is?

It is true that Baccano is in an odd licensing limbo right now, since Aniplex of America took the US rights back from Funimation last year but they haven't yet rereleased it themselves on streaming services or disc. Hopefully that'll change one day.

Anyway, this thread isn't a bad place to vet series if you do want to watch anime (as long as you use some independent discretion as well and are aware of the inclinations of certain posters).

maybe it is and ive just never heard of it? i dont hang around anime boards, just follow the trail based on genres and voice actors

ALL OUT!! Episode 18 – Study
C5m1jYCWgAAPCzu.jpg:small

Wow the other team is kind of annoying, if only for their captain. I dont mind the new players on it and I hope the rest of the team joins their side.

Great job for Ise and co, best three.

And Gion was finally fantastic.

Jex

[Dragon Dentist] - 2

This episode feels like they took all the worst elements from the finale of the last episode and stretched them into a whole episode. It's a real mess of nonsense with a reach that far exceeds its grasp. It's almost as bad as the last arc of Flip Flappers.

As a bonus, here's some more of that extra horeshit dialogue.

Yes, he says it again. Yuck.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
When you realise Idol Jihen is one of the best commentaries on the current political climate you realise just how messed up things currently are.

Today's episode was all about #FakeNews.

Yu-Gi-Oh! Season 1 (Subtitled) Episode 46 – Mysterious Transfer Student Ryuji Otogi

Super-Dimensional Fighter Vic Viper sounds so much better than Gradius, what was Konami thinking :(

Also dog suit Jonouchi kun yes.
C5m_Uy4XEAAgdld.jpg:small

Yu-Gi-Oh! GX (Subtitled) Episode 76 – Ultimate Fusion! Rex Union

Korimaru is dirty
wow at actually using Mirror of Duality on your own team mate

I want a whole season of just tag duels. Theyre the best type of duels.

Jex

The Dragon Dentist 2

I liked it. The first part had gone a bit overboard with its ending, but I felt that this one had a nice,
and sad
, conclusion. It had some eyebrow raising moments, like the plot armor villain, but overall it was certainly cool. The dragon tooth diving sequence was fantastic.

You're wrong and you should feel bad.

The Dragon Dentist might be the worst anime I have watched in years. A crushing failure at every level.

The Dragon Dentist might be the worst anime I have watched in years. A crushing failure at every level.

I wouldn't say 'worst anime' but it's truly very anime. It's so typical of anime to try to be ambitious, telling poignant, epic stories with drama and action that end up being a confusing underdeveloped mess with too many styles crammed onto it and where things happen in a forced way.

Sterok

KiraKira Precure À La Mode 4

This is a show about cooking, yet barely one of them can cook at all. Maybe when red shows up. Though Ichika does seem to have a talent at ruining cream puffs in the oddest way imaginable. Trying again and again is good and all, but sometimes if you're messing up it's best to take a break to clear your mind. Gelato is easily the coolest fighter of the current trio. Next week, ojou-sama.

Qurupeke

You really are savage when you don't like something and I start to feel bad for liking it. :p

The story telling is pretty bad and it certainly tries to do a lot of things at the same time, but overall, I can't say I didn't enjoy it. The animation was great, it looked pretty good (other than some CG shots), it had some cool ideas here and there and I found the epic scope of the story fascinating. I mean, it's probably something I'll forget in a few months, but I still think it's not a total disaster. Maybe it failed to meet the expectations, considering the staff that worked on it...

DAI-Guard Episode 24

One wonders why in a post apocalyptic world one would choose to remain living in Tokyo, they set themselves up with this. Fortunately, everyone was evacuated.

I dont know how Dai-Guard can take this down.

So I've been blazing through Gintama and forgot that it was recommended to skip some of the TV show in favor of the movies. Am up to ep130 now and have at least missed out on the movie featuring the Benizakura arc. I wasn't fond of that really but might my opinion change when watching the movie? And are the other movies I should've seen or should see further down the line?

All in all I'm rather surprised that I'm enjoying the comedy so much by now whereas the serious arcs or rather serious storytelling aspects of certain arcs were underwhelming to me. I was expecting it to go the other way round but unfortunately it seems like the pacing takes a massive dip with those several-episodes long 'tragic' stories and Gin and co. can't keep themselves from spouting generic shonen dialogue for minutes on end, stretching a succinct 2 episode story into a bit of a 3-4 episode long slog.

Meanwhile on the comedy side I get to see absolutely ridiculous Heidi references and people turning into screwdrivers. Amazingly dumb.

Oh and that episode with Kagura's umbrella walks during the rain was wonderful.

I think the first serious arc is the only one that has a movie?

The next movie worth watching would be the one before the show started airing again 1-2 years ago. The one called like 'Be Forever Yorozuya' that was meant as the series finale (or another one of the end of Gintama jokes)

Moaradin

So I've been blazing through Gintama and forgot that it was recommended to skip some of the TV show in favor of the movies. Am up to ep130 now and have at least missed out on the movie featuring the Benizakura arc. I wasn't fond of that really but might my opinion change when watching the movie? And are the other movies I should've seen or should see further down the line?

All in all I'm rather surprised that I'm enjoying the comedy so much by now whereas the serious arcs or rather serious storytelling aspects of certain arcs were underwhelming to me. I was expecting it to go the other way round but unfortunately it seems like the pacing takes a massive dip with those several-episodes long 'tragic' stories and Gin and co. can't keep themselves from spouting generic shonen dialogue for minutes on end, stretching a succinct 2 episode story into a bit of a 3-4 episode long slog.

Meanwhile on the comedy side I get to see absolutely ridiculous Heidi references and people turning into screwdrivers. Amazingly dumb.

Oh and that episode with Kagura's umbrella walks during the rain was wonderful.

The Benizakura movie is pretty much the same as the TV version with slightly better animation. Probably won't change your opinion much. The next movie is Gintama: Yorozuya Forever, and you should watch that after episode 265. Before the 2015 series.

Quite unfortunate that you don't like the serious arcs though. If you consider 3-4 episodes of that a slog, then I'm not sure what you're gonna think about the later seasons of Gintama when it's pretty much nonstop serious arcs that are each 8-12 episodes long.

Aight, looks like I won't be watching that film then. I'll keep the other in mind even though that's still a while away.

I don't mind episode length itself, I really just feel like some of the dialogue gets repetitive and it drags on too much. If that changes then I'm good. It's not like I think the stories have a bad core or don't work due to mood-whiplash. Brevity is all it needs.

Zestiria X 20
"If I kill myself when you don't want to kill me, that means I win!"
That is some hilarious logic.

Aside from that, Sorey
actually purifying the dragon
was a surprise. Sorey's whole "it's not impossible, it's just nobody else was good enough!" feels really weird because I don't really know where it came from. His most recent major accomplishment was purifying a corpse and getting an additional squire, but it seems like a major jump in scale to what happened this episode. Pretty interested in seeing where this goes from here on, especially with the implication that
Eizen can be purified this time around

Heavy Metal L Gaim Episode 6

2nd or so old anime where I like their moments in space a lot. At times Daba and co remind me of the silly and sometimes serious moments of Vifam with those kids in space. The antagonists that they keep running into with even some silly antics about them and their struggles to try to fight off Daba and co remains one of the best aspects too.

Jarmel

Banned
The show's strongest asset is probably its core characters though. Tessa, Sagara, Chidori, Kurz and Mao were certainly very likable. Hell, I even enjoyed Gauron as a villain. His obsession with Kashim, his attitude and his irredeemable nature were certainly something to look forward.

Character writing is something Gatoh excels in. In all of his shows, the strongest aspect has been the characters. He's good at both creating fun lively individuals but also developing them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom