• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quasar

Strong imagination you have.

Not really...I know people who fit into it, who are too lazy to even download stuff. If it's not on streaming they are not interested at all.

Certainly as someone who only got into anime because of streaming and who mostly never buys anime on disc I'm the same way to a degree.

Why are people surprised that some consume anime through streaming services and aren't interested in collecting discs? This is a pretty universal trend for media consumption.

Chindogg

I couldn't possibly comment :)

Asia <3

Not best girl.

Fuck it. All of them are best girls.

Why are people surprised that some consume anime through streaming services and aren't interested in collecting discs? This is a pretty universal trend for media consumption.

I think there's an art aspect of it, especially with specific anime. I myself own very few discs but the stuff that comes with them are fantastic.

The lack of streaming makes it hard to recommend stuff for people to see and no one would pay a cost to buy a disc just to check out something on recommendation.

I cant recommend gAGE even though I always want to, theres just no way for people to watch it. Still regret not buying the jpn discs :(

Paltheos

IBO 45

Did this fucking show just use the "barely missed" plot twice? Come on.

Naturally, after being hit by an illegal weapon, Beardface has a squad of his own guys with their own banned weapons ready to go instantly. That won't look odd on the report. I mean, I understand that no one really has any interest in this revolution outside of McGillis and his followers, but Rustal has a reputation to maintain as a cool-headed, competent, respectable leader in Gjallahorn. I might be giving too much credit though - This is a series that allows characters like Iok to succeed despite casually committing war crimes and throwing his men's lives away.

... Rustal's always been fine with playing a long game though, keeping his own hands clean even if it's at the expense of lives. Why risk besmirching his reputation now when he has an overwhelming numerical advantage? Just get me to the ending already.

Narag

Kirakira&#9734;Precure A La Mode 4
5lq59hql.png
Hoping the bad guys are just traditional formalities and it's just a bunch of delightful nonsense throughout.

One step closer to Cure Chcoolat.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Scum's Wish 01-07
My initial interest in the series wore through pretty quickly. The nihilistic viewpoint of sex and love is not inherently a dealbreaker, but here it feels like a narrow lens that everything in the story is viewed through. In its efforts to weave some kind of complex web of relationships the story crawls, regularly letting characters shift in and out of the picture as convenience dictates. Divorced from reality, consequence, and emotion, it's difficult to muster much interest in the internal ramblings of these characters as they string each other along to little effect. Direct character interaction feels so limited and scattershot that none of the characters really wind up coming across as all that deplorable. Stories like Oniisama e border on being classified as tragedy, but Scum's Wish finds itself in a fairly limp and uninteresting middle ground. These characters never seem to stop crying, but their suffering and internal strife feel fairly surface level and inconsequential. The show's underdeveloped understanding of the male psyche casts an ugly spotlight on the childish simplicity of this interpretation of love, and the meekly naive and repetitive depiction of sexuality deeply undercuts anything the show has to say about the physical manifestation of love. The only bodily fluid you'll regularly find in Scum's Wish are the characters' crocodile tears.

IBO 45

Naturally, after being hit by an illegal weapon, Beardface has a squad of his own guys with their own banned weapons ready to go instantly. That won't look odd on the report. I mean, I understand that no one really has any interest in this revolution outside of McGillis and his followers, but Rustal has a reputation to maintain as a cool-headed, competent, respectable leader in Gjallahorn. I might be giving too much credit though - This is a series that allows characters like Iok to succeed despite casually committing war crimes and throwing his men's lives away.

... Rustal's always been fine with playing a long game though, keeping his own hands clean even if it's at the expense of lives. Why risk besmirching his reputation now when he has an overwhelming numerical advantage? Just get me to the ending already.

It didn't barely miss so much as it was intentionally knocked off course

IBO 45

You see, I actually liked the use of it here because it finally subverted
Tekkadan scraping by with their "All or Nothing" tactics. Up til now, they've made it through battles by pulling off these ballsy moves that opponents wouldn't expect. It really highlighted the severity of this war.

Burbeting

Banned
Sword Art Online - Ordinal Scale

I'm most likely the biggest residential SAO hater around these parts...

...yet I'm still most likely going to watch the movie at some point, mostly since I've seen all of the SAO episodes, even though I hated all of them.

What's wrong with me.

Narag

Scum's Wish 01-07

My initial interest in the series wore through pretty quickly. The nihilistic viewpoint of sex and love is not inherently a dealbreaker, but here it feels like a narrow lens that everything in the story is viewed through. In its efforts to weave some kind of complex web of relationships the story crawls, regularly letting characters shift in and out of the picture as convenience dictates. Divorced from reality, consequence, and emotion, it's difficult to muster much interest in the internal ramblings of these characters as they string each other along to little effect. Direct character interaction feels so limited and scattershot that none of the characters really wind up coming across as all that deplorable. Stories like Oniisama e border on being classified as tragedy, but Scum's Wish finds itself in a fairly limp and uninteresting middle ground. These characters never seem to stop crying, but their suffering and internal strife feel fairly surface level and inconsequential. The show's underdeveloped understanding of the male psyche casts an ugly spotlight on the childish simplicity of this interpretation of love, and the meekly naive and repetitive depiction of sexuality deeply undercuts anything the show has to say about the physical manifestation of love. The only bodily fluid you'll regularly find in Scum's Wish are the characters' crocodile tears.

I've been following this through impressions to see if I wanted to watch it later and this makes it sound like the misery x titillation is really superficial and everyon watching just wanted a wild ride. I'm a little less inclined to check it out now.

Dragon Ball Super 80:

Nice showing from Son Goku's sort of mediocre son. The animation this season has definitely taken a bump up. Kind of wish Super had this type of animation from the start.

I've been following this through impressions to see if I wanted to watch it later and this makes it sound like the misery x titillation is really superficial and everyone watching just wanted a wild ride. I'm a little less inclined to check it out now.

Oh, no, I wouldn't call it superficial, in fact that's why it has been so talked about, because it seemed at first the typical superficial trashy show but it isn't.
That said it's reaching a point where the multiple interlinked relationships, and all dripping in misery, stretch belief.

petran79

Banned
I believe I mentioned that the list was outdated because I haven't watched anything since last summer. I only made it public to avoid explaining for the upteenth time that I have already watched One Punch Man and most of the recent shit I've seen in the last 6 months of "recommend me some anime" threads. I suppose it's not much help though since I don't list everything I pick up and drop.

I did say I wasn't into sports or comedy and teenaged japanese drama doesn't do anything for me anymore, so I've passed on most of those already.

Most of the complete series I enjoyed I discovered them myself or by accident. I dont watch as often as in the past though. Still I prefer combining new and old series. I can watch Little Witch Academia but also watch an old series from the 70s to the 90s.

Not really...I know people who fit into it, who are too lazy to even download stuff. If it's not on streaming they are not interested at all.

Certainly as someone who only got into anime because of streaming and who mostly never buys anime on disc I'm the same way to a degree.

For newer or long series I'd never bother to rewatch, streaming is a much better option. But for the classics pre-digital series fansubs, TV rips and DVDs are the only option.

Also if you use MadVR renderer (Windows) or mpv player (Linux), you can improve picture quality a lot with disc based media. Streaming does not have that kind of output customisation.

Control + F

Envangelion ...0 results
Mushishi ...0 results
Planetes ...0 results
Ping Pong ...0 results
Uchouten kazoku ...0 results

Meanwhile, you are watching 38 series and have completed another 188 shows.

Maybe you should stop watching garbage. Just saying.

Sometimes if you are not in the right mood, quality doesnt matter. I remember I was turned off by watching one episode of Dear Brother. Returned to it few years later and found it as one of the best series ever. Over the course of 4 years, except Dear Brother, I discovered or tried to catch up with these series I'd never have expected to like previously. I thought I had finished with anime too and had watched everything:

Planet Survival, Yawara, Vifam, Spaceship Sagittarius, Attack No 1, Lady Georgie, La Seine no Hoshi, Twins at St Claire, Reporter Blues, Hikari no Densetsu, Ashita no Joe, Ace wo Nerae, Cutey Honey, Gallery Fake, Alpenrose, Magic Users Club OVA, Sci-Fi Harry, Kurogane Communication, Princess Yucie, Eto Ranger

As far as I'm aware some people didn't like it for the sexual elements. The character writing was pretty solid and seemed to be the thing that people liked the most from the show.

It was a mediocre comedy that you liked more than most of this community. Sexual elements are not why it's not remembered especially fondly.

Quasar

yeah. I only buy the shows that I really like and could rewatch. One Punch Man is my next purchase.

Part of it for me is I got so burnt in the DVD era with non anime. I have several hundred that I bought that only got watched 0-2 times. So now I rarely buy BluRays. Only the few select titles I know I will re-watch multiple times. Or if it really has extras I really want access to (even that may change if we see more digital versions with audio commentaries and the like).

Jarmel

Banned
It was a mediocre comedy that you liked more than most of this community. Sexual elements are not why it's not remember especially fondly.

I'm aware I liked it more than anyone else here. That wasn't my point though, it was mainly that the character writing was the strongest element of it and it seems that this was the aspect that others liked as well when it was airing. The two primary criticisms of the show were oriented around the sexual stuff and the fact that it wasn't geared towards the actual management of the park. I saw nearly nil talk directed towards general issues with the characters.

I'm aware I liked it more than anyone else here. That wasn't my point though, it was mainly that the character writing was the strongest element of it and it seems that this was the aspect that others liked as well when it was airing. The two primary criticisms of the show were oriented around the sexual stuff and the fact that it wasn't geared towards the actual management of the park. I saw nearly nil talk directed towards general issues with the characters.

Hmm, let's actually flashback to impressions posted here about the first episode.

duckroll said:
Amagi Not-so-brilliant Park - Episode 1

I'm not sure how I feel about this yet. It's pretty strange. The direction is good. The production values are good. The premise is just interesting enough to keep me interested but not enough to convince me that it might not be a total waste of time. The characters are pretty annoying and exhibit dangerous signs of being typical bad Light Novel characters. I have to say, the idea of a show exploring a theme park on its last legs far from its glory years is a unique concept and one which I can actually relate to having a mild interest in abandoned attractions. I just wish it could have been explored in a way that didn't involve angsty teenagers, magical beings who might or might not just be insane people, and naked butts being shoved in my face. Will watch more, keeping expectations low.

Haly said:
Amagi Brilliant Park 01:

I don't know how much you know about tea (I'm an expert), but if my tea looked like this, I'd probably throw up. It looks like some kind of sludge.

Alright so, first things first. This isn't quite as bad as it could be. For one, it's not chuuni. Nor does it take place in an MMO. That already puts it way ahead of the pack. On the other hand, it has a harem, and it's about a boring guy who meets a magical girl. Okay, that's bad. But, the girl can pull flintlocks out of her skirt, and we all know that's awesome.

(BTW, if you were wondering, the circles of LN hell go like this: Harem > Boring Guy/Magical Girl > Incest > Mary Sue Protag > Chuuni > MMO.)

Given the source material, Takemoto is doing a good job. Unfortunately, having come off from a Hyouka marathon, I can definitely say this is no Hyouka. And not just in terms of content, but also production values. Recycled animation, dull environments, people standing still while their mouth opens and closes. It's got it all. The only saving grace is that even when KyoAni cuts corners, their output it still miles ahead of most other studios.

Jexhius said:
[Amagai Brilliant Park] - 1

I wasn't actively offended by this, so I suppose that counts as a step up for KyoAni.

This first episode was, as expected, well directed and produced. It introduced a potentially interesting story but then unfortunately decided to layer it with a 'magic/amnesia' flavour that I didn't really care for.

I understand that you can't just make a show about restoring a delipidated theme park because that would be boring. If this was a Western TV show the 'hook', so to speak, would no doubt be the rich characters and the drama and conflict inherent in the process of restoring an amusement park. But, for anime, that just isn't enough so you have to make everyone a teenager and throw in some magic to keep the kids entertained. For all I know the magic stuff will be kept fairly low-key and I'll have no complaints; only time will tell.

Qurupeke

3-gatsu no Lion 19

Shimada continues to be the best, we got another insight on his character. It's a shame that the conclusion of the match seems predetermined, at least I hope the show won't skip it.

Paltheos

You see, I actually liked the use of it here because it finally subverted
Tekkadan scraping by with their "All or Nothing" tactics. Up til now, they've made it through battles by pulling off these ballsy moves that opponents wouldn't expect. It really highlighted the severity of this war.

Oh, they definitely have their comeuppance coming. I have two problems with how the show does it:

1) Using the same plot device twice is unimaginative.
2) They're not losing as a consequence of the tactics they usually employ, nor is the show demonstrating that they're ineffective.
This plan would have worked if Mikazuki had stopped Julietta from interfering.

What I thought would happen, and what I believe what would have been a better idea is this plan working entirely - The Arianrod flagship is destroyed, Rustal killed, maybe Iok surviving (knowing this show, I thought he would survive but either way is narratively acceptable I guess), Galileo taking the reins of the fleet as a member of the Seven Stars, and rallying the forces to defeat McGillis and Tekkadan. It's much more satisfying. Galileo still gets to complete his story and, for Tekkadan, they're defeated despite doing their usual thing flawlessly: Sneaky strategies won't always win the day and sometimes you should just settle to avoid worse outcomes.

Jarmel

Banned
Hmm, let's actually flashback to impressions posted here about the first episode.

I really don't like digging up people's old posts as stances change on something like this and I'm not even trying to argue whether the show actually is good or not. I was incorrect in stating that there were low amounts of criticism directed towards the characters on this forum (although one of the posts you cite is more premise oriented but whatever). However I don't feel incorrect in stating that people who either finished or watched a good chunk of the show thought the characters were the strongest aspect of it.

Midonin said:
Amagi Brilliant Park 09

Now this is what I was hoping more of the show would be like. More focus on the Elementario group (or on the girls in general), and a look into the park as much as the running of it. So many of the rides have only been shown during the next episode preview, so seeing a closer look at the "training center" in the castle was a nice change of pace, a way to get to know the girls a little better. I also realized just how much Sylphy reminds me of SoraOto's Astrea.

Admiral Woofington said:
Amagi Brilliant Park 4

By far the best episode so far. Largely because it toned down most, if not all, of the shitty comedy and focused on character development. The somber tone of the episode mixed with the music was a pretty good job on giving me as the audience the idea of what the episode would be around. Then they drove it home with the multiple scenes in the rain, with rain being used as a symbol of chaos and depression in plenty of media. It is also doing a fantastic job in reminding me that Kanye isn't the Jesus Christ of geniuses and that he is pretty much a newbie at managing and will most likely make plenty of mistakes, as seen in this episode.

The episode largely dealt with 50 and her issues as a character, continuing to expand on her character outside of the dandere beauty with giant breasts they wanted to tell you about in episode 1. Their scenes of conflict in this episode were definitely the highlight of the show so far. I was hoping the show would just forget most of the magical and past crap and just focus on park management and character development on a set of incredibly flawed characters. But of course that was too much to ask and we have stuff like "did we meet when we were younger?" and the scene at the end where a dinosaur is waking up because fuck you mgmt geeks.

cajunator said:
Amagi Brilliant Park 02

This has a protag with the confidence and swagger of Sora in No Game No Life combined with some high end silliness and a really REALLY cute princess.
Really enjoying this for what it is. Kanye will save them all.
Better than Hyouka.

There's also multiple reviews offsite that go into the show and the characters are generally brought up as a highlight.

http://anitay.kinja.com/ani-tay-review-amagi-brilliant-park-1676761418
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/review/amagi-brilliant-park/episodes-1-12/.88892
http://kotaku.com/few-anime-are-as-fun-as-amagi-brilliant-park-1679826841
http://www.otakuusamagazine.com/Anime/News1/Review-Amagi-Brilliant-Park-8349.aspx

Even the shitty MAL reviews go on about the characters. I feel confident in saying that the strongest part of the show was the character writing.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I like this proxy war being waged here with old posts.

Zestiria - 20

So was Alisha's father surrounded in
malevolence because of the medicine he was being given? Or perhaps he too was a bad person?
Wonder if the show will answer these questions. At any rate, seems Sorey and the gang have trouble coming their way very soon.

Qurupeke

Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu 1

Really amusing, it made me laugh on many occasions, so it certainly does its job right. Also, the difference on the production values is really noticeable. Sasuga KyoAni.

Dragon Ball Super 80
download.png
download_1.png
download_2.png

WHOOOOO, NOT DEAD LAST! Also, are you evil short stuff?

I wonder if we're gonna learn how exactly they're graded. Part of me wonders if it's just, "Oh, they don't amuse me as much as others." It's not really scientific or thought out at all.

Why first episode impressions? That's not the period I'd snapshot for impressions.

Eh, they were the easiest to find. I don't have a real stance on Amagi Brilliant Park myself since I haven't watched the show itself, except that everything I've seen from it looks ugly. I just raised my eyebrow at Jarmel saying that no one on GAF ever expressed concerns over the character writing in Amagi since that didn't jive with my recollections, and doing some searching confirmed that my memory was not faulty in that regard.

Eh, they were the easiest to find. I don't have a real stance on Amagi Brilliant Park myself since I haven't watched the show itself, except that everything I've seen from it looks ugly. I just raised my eyebrow at Jarmel saying that no one on GAF ever expressed concerns over the character writing in Amagi since that didn't jive with my recollections, and doing some searching confirmed that my memory was not faulty in that regard.

Fair enough, but I don't think first episode impressions will tell you how characters were received. 20 minutes isn't enough to judge that.

The ultimate proxy war will happen when someone starts to use old DTL posts for their arguments.
I'd be done down a poster that stans for DTL and endlessly quotes him. A bizzaro Nintendoman.

Firemind

Just watched Ghost in the Shell (1995) and it was boring as fuck. Where does the worship come from? There's no escalation at all. Akira did it better in 1988.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
GITS is the rare anime/manga product where a tv spinoff/reboot, in this case Stand Alone Complex, is so much better than the source material and even the lauded theatrical release.

Gundam IBO - 45

This week's episode was wild. It's pretty impressive that we get 2D mech fight episodes of this calibre 45 episodes in.

I saw Shino's death from a mile away though. Way too many flags.

duckroll

Zesty Tales XXX - Episode 20

Good episode. Cool dragon fight. Deep Alisha lore. Best Ufotable effects. Five episodes left. Ending where?

Zesty Tales XXX - Episode 20

Good episode. Cool dragon fight. Deep Alisha lore. Best Ufotable effects. Five episodes left. Ending where?

Yeah idk what's gonna happen. There doesn't seem to be any indication of "an end". Also, lot's of folks are saying there is still tons of stuff left. Maybe we will get a S3? Or a movie?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom