• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most of the complete series I enjoyed I discovered them myself or by accident. I dont watch as often as in the past though. Still I prefer combining new and old series. I can watch Little Witch Academia but also watch an old series from the 70s to the 90s.

I loved finding old series that I had often heard about. I knew of FMA years before my brother got my dad and I to watch it, and I'd seen characters like Saber and Louise all over the internet before picking those shows up. I really miss discovering them, which was also accidental most of the time.

There's obviously still some stuff out there I haven't seen, either because I haven't heard of it or I'm intentionally avoiding it. Nevertheless, sitting down and binge watching a show doesn't feel the same.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Legend of the Galactic Heroes 094

What the hell is Oberstein's endgame

l_p1022441930.jpg

duckroll

I really don't like digging up people's old posts as stances change on something like this and I'm not even trying to argue whether the show actually is good or not. I was incorrect in stating that there were low amounts of criticism directed towards the characters on this forum (although one of the posts you cite is more premise oriented but whatever). However I don't feel incorrect in stating that people who either finished or watched a good chunk of the show thought the characters were the strongest aspect of it.

I mean, this is sort of a confirmation bias test to begin with by that standard. Characters are the most important thing in a story driven medium in terms of retaining an audience. If people don't like the characters at all, odds are they will stop watching a show very quickly. So the people who do finish it will be people who liked the characters to begin with. So... it's... not surprising? Watching something you dislike just to get to the end to proclaim "I watched ALL of it to validate my opinion that it is indeed bad!" is something most people don't do. Talk about a waste of time!

Narag

Yes! Precure 8

Ep was basically one of those Sailor Moon eps where Rei & Usagi kept getting into each other's shit so it was good.

Gundam Iron blooded orphans 45
I knew it was coming, but I don't want to believe it. That Tekkadan is trapped makes this all unavoidable I know but still....At least he looked cool in
final moments with Yamagi and how he gave his whole for Tekkadan till the last moment, but man SHINOOO.

My poor boy Yamagi you deserved that love in the end, I wanted it to be much more openly shown then this, but oh well. That end was too much...I'm crying.

Jarmel

Banned
I mean, this is sort of a confirmation bias test to begin with by that standard. Characters are the most important thing in a story driven medium in terms of retaining an audience. If people don't like the characters at all, odds are they will stop watching a show very quickly. So the people who do finish it will be people who liked the characters to begin with. So... it's... not surprising? Watching something you dislike just to get to the end to proclaim "I watched ALL of it to validate my opinion that it is indeed bad!" is something most people don't do. Talk about a waste of time!
I think that's discounting other reasons why a person would watch a show or that the person couldn't recognize aspects other than the writing. Characters are obviously the most important component of any show but a work can still be engrossing enough that people can overlook flaws in the character writing. I hate GoT TV but I'm watching it not because of the characters but rather the production values and how it's shot. Better Call Saul's biggest draw for me isn't necessarily the characters but the outstanding cinematography.

Also if someone drops a show without finishing it or even watching a third of it, I don't think their opinion holds as much weight as someone who watched more of it. Look at Fafner, the characters improve over the course of the first season but they could have dropped it on episode 3 and say the characters are bad. How do you argue against someone who watches only the pilot/premiere? I don't think a person needs to watch an entire show to judge it but I also don't think a person who watches a couple of episodes is necessarily qualified to talk about its strengths and weaknesses as a complete body.

Yes there is going to be confirmation bias to some extent but using only first or second episode impressions to judge a work as a whole isn't exactly perfect either. That's partially why dedicated/professional reviewers are important as they'll finish a work even if they dislike it so as to give their opinions on the entire thing. So in this case if you're discounting people casually watching, what are the people who review anime professionally saying? Or at least people who will finish shows they hate so as to have a better opinion? Not that I hold many of those opinions in high esteem but they can give an insight into a production's strongest area.

Tales of Zestiria 20

RISING UP! IT PLAYED YEEEEEESSSSS

BUT, that's not even the biggest holy shit moment...

Sorey purified a dragon...he fucking purified a dragon!
HOLY SHIT

That means
Eizen can be saved!!!!!!

We are clearly no longer in game territory here folks!Anything is possible! I love it!

From what I recall I was liking Amagami Brilliant Park when it was focusing less on the comedy and more on the characters. But as the show kept going I realized it wasn't doing what I wanted to do (I think I wanted the show to be about managing the park and all of the planning/business behind it ala anime Rollercoaster Tycoon) and instead it focused more on like the comedy and the magical aspect that I didn't want. So I dropped it around the halfway point? I genuinely don't even recall what happens in the show.

The Vision of EscaFlowne Episode 15 Lost Paradise

So much Van drama but I hope its done, I want our prince that is rising up to his new title to come back. Though I do like him being saved by others.Its so different.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Wait they
purified a dragon
in the Tales of Zestiria anime? the fucking hell? Uhhh... Is the anime retconning the shitty game?

Hattori

Banned
Gantz:O
I loved it. The CG quality is top-notch and pacing was just right.

I noticed they changed the story a little bit, is this going to be just a one-off or are there plans for more?

I'm aware I liked it more than anyone else here. That wasn't my point though, it was mainly that the character writing was the strongest element of it and it seems that this was the aspect that others liked as well when it was airing. The two primary criticisms of the show were oriented around the sexual stuff and the fact that it wasn't geared towards the actual management of the park. I saw nearly nil talk directed towards general issues with the characters.

I can't remember how much I watched (around 4 episodes, I think?), but I didn't find the character writing to be particularly good (in fact, I can't really remember too much about the characters now). My basic memory is of a fairly mediocre show with some overly sexualized stuff and a fairly uninteresting cast.

Yeah, the fact that the show wasn't very interested in the actual management of the park was also a disappointment, but the character writing was hardly anything to write home about.

Narag

Narag are you ready to feel it with me?

...or was that duckroll who also watched this?

It was me and I think it'll be fine. Won't please hardcore fans who want a billion dollars spent on Madhouse making it but hypothetically they'd tell people that sucked compared to the manga and they should read that anyway so fuck 'em.

Oh fuck me I'm now remembering just how long the wait between the japanese release and the american blu ray was for the berserk films. This tv series blu ray will easily not come out until fucking mid/late 2017.

trejo

????????

I don't understand. Why is it so surprising?
Dragons are unpurifiable in the game. Once a Seraph turns dragon that is it, they're done. The anime retconning that makes it so that the ultimate fate of a certain character could be changed.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
????????

I don't understand. Why is it so surprising?

Tales of Berseria and Zestiria spoilers incoming

When Malakhim or Seraphs are exposed to humans they are exposed to Malevolence which is naturally generated by the latter party due to their innate nature of the heart. While humans can turn into Daemon or Hellions when they generate too much Malevolence, Malakhim and Seraphs cannot generate so they do not turn into Daemons or Hellions. However, when enough Malevolence is absorbed with extended contact with humans, said Malak or Seraph will turn into dragons. Once a Malak/Seraph turns into their Malevolent form, in this case a Dragon, they will never change back as its part of their very being. Eizen is a Malak/Seraph in Berseria and has been consistently exposing himself to humans throughout the game. 1000 years later, which is when Zestiria takes place, the Malevolence has taken a toll and it has transformed him into a Dragon. In the game, the party is unable to purify a Dragon, which history has also shown, and therefore kills Eizen. However, in the anime it appears a dragon was purified, which has never happened before, so there are implications of purifying Eizen which therefore retcons Zestiria the game.

I'm honestly fine with them retconning the game. The story was dogshit.

Cornbread78

Tales of Zestiria the X ep 20
That was awesome. Looks like they are going to collapse everything into the final few episodes from that last scene and skip a few acts from the game. That or extend it another season. Either way, they played it! So happy they got it licensed for the amime as well as the game!

https://youtu.be/wCkaq1GsK_s

Narag

Yes! Precure 10

Will probably slow down on this one to get back to other stuff but wanted to make a dent into it. 10/49 eps in a couple days is pretty unlike me so yeah, it's been great so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom