• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why are you all against people checking out actually good shows? At the end of 2017, Hand Shakers will still be remembered. I doubt the same will be true for sweetness & lightning or march comes in like a lion.

Whenever I see screenshots of Akiba's Trip they make the anime look amazing.

Akiba's Trip is amusing. It's not laugh out loud funny, but it does giving some funny commentary on different types of fandoms. I do think it's also a case where the dub is funnier than the sub because the english voice actors goes all in with how stupid the premise of the series is.

Cornbread78

Most people will remember Hand Shakers in the same way they remember Big Order.

That's pushing it a little. Even I can admit Hand Shakers is nowhere near as insulting and disgusting as Big Order was...

Speaking of Siscon shit...

Why are you all against people checking out actually good shows? At the end of 2017, Hand Shakers will still be remembered. I doubt the same will be true for sweetness & lightning or march comes in like a lion.

I'm the only other person here watching Hand Shakers and both those shows are miles ahead of it.

I was showing my buddy at work this week's fight scene and he asked me what kind of drugs the animators were taking because the angles they use made no sebse, actiob was taking place out of frame and shits were cut halfway through an attack.

I'm not down on the bright and bold colors used like many others, but I have to seriously question what they are trying to do with the story and action and I'm a very tolerable person..

The ending to Konosuba had me in tears. The shot of the little girl screaming onii-chan with the animation and music and her voice was just...like, that was pure distilled comedy right there.

Narag

Yes! Precure 5 12
Qay0sVIl.jpg
JOuVqrql.png

ePZkt7Zl.png
AWMob2Gl.jpg
Between Sterok's reply last ep and how I've generally felt like Nozomi was channeling Usagi pretty hard, this bit made me so happy.

Rainy

Banned
What are generally considered the good Gundam series? I watched G Gundan and Gundam Wing a long time ago but I want to watch another one.

convo

Konosuba S2 08
These fanatics are exatly the way they are because that's how Aqua instructed them to be. My god it's like an army of Aqua clones,exactly as stupid and crazy as her, you can feel her presence in every single one of her followers.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Whenever I see screenshots of Akiba's Trip they make the anime look amazing.
It's both hyper-absurdist and heavily pandering. The pandering is leaned in on pretty hard though, to the point where it heavily informs the subject matter of the show. I would say that the points it gets for absurdity, like utilizing the YuGiOh aesthetic to riff on card battle series, tend to be muted by the structure of the show being very rigid and plain. Ikehata had the same issues with Robot Girls Z Plus.

KraytarJ

Kobayashi 8
An episode based on Kobayashi and Tohru's relationship, what more could you want? Tohru getting jealous was pretty cute and Elma's pretty dope too. All in all it would have been a perfect episode if Lucoa wasn't in it.

What are generally considered the good Gundam series? I watched G Gundan and Gundam Wing a long time ago but I want to watch another one.
The most recent one, Iron blooded orphans is excellent.

SEED, Victory, Build fighters and, since you watched Wing, Endless waltz are all amazing and worth your time.

Hrm. I don't think Lucoa works as well as she does in the manga because of how even quick jokes in an anime or scenes take time which gives them more weight or impression whereas in the manga you can read a Lucoa boob joke in like 2 seconds and move on to the next panel.

Still like her though.

Szadek

Finally Finished Cardcaptor Sakura

Once again the story drags down the rest of the show a bit, but other than that it's a great anime.
It's well animated, looks nice and the character are very likebable.

I will watch the movie soon as well and the get back to watching Princess Precure.
The next (traditional) magical girl show I want to watch is Shugo Chara, but that can wait a bit.

I suppose this is also a good time to get back to my idea of a Let's watch of Yuki Yuna is a Hero, althouhg I have done anything like it.
The new season is coming this fall, so this is a pretty good time to do it.

KraytarJ

Konosuba 2-8
A city full of religious nuts ready to try their hand at converting Kazuma while insulting Darkness in the most demeaning way they can find. Kazuma hates it, Darkness loves it, Aqua is in paradise, Megumin continues to be under-utilized, and Yunyun perserveres in her quest to make a friend. So it's pretty fantastic and while I'd like to say it's one of the best things in a long time Saiki just ended last season, but it's still incredible.

jonjonaug

IMO the Mobile Suit Gundam original series movie trilogy, Zeta Gundam, Turn A Gundam, G Gundam, and 0080 are the "must see" ones.

I'm 9 episodes into Akiba's Trip, and I genuinely can't decide if I like it or not.

It's alright I guess?

I guess I've stuck with it this long.

Jintor

Dragonmaid 8

That was alright, but I really wish it didn't have the stupid giant boobs and especially the giant boobs bounce sound fx

Xisiqomelir

I'd like to thank the voting thread for clueing me into Thunderbolt Fantasy.

Typically intricate Urobutcher story, delightful characterization and dialogue, SQUIBS FOR DAYS satisfying my inner Toku love and a
WanPanMan level of First World Problems/Stuck Superman Writer/"There isn't actually a Conflict anymore is there?" meta-metaplot.

EDIT:

Also, the reveal of this badboy:

f33b1efa890eaf3b025d8533696d46fbd20b2a60_hq.jpg

as
History's Biggest Troll
was great.

DiGiKerot

Hand Shakers will be remembered for years to come, but it'll be as a staggering example of incompetence in the same way that people remember, say, Musashi Gundoh.

I mean, Hand Shakers is frustrating because there are clearly some technically accomplished animators working on it, but the things they are being asked to animate are unfortunate. At best, things are rendered a searing eyesore through a completely incoherent sense of visual design - there's choices made in terms of applying colouring of visual filters which differ between individual elements of a single cut in such a fashion that it not only looks ugly through lack of visual cohesion, but also completely destroys what is supposed to be the main focus of what you are supposed to be looking at.

I mean, just to pick on a screenshot I saw on my twitter timeline yesterday for a moment (I tried to watch the episode yesterday just because "shit-talking idol" is my aesthetic, but couldn't manage to make it all the way through), can you seriously look at that for a few seconds and not have your eyes focus gravitate towards the weird bow on her necklace that in no way actually feels it's supposed to be part of it? It's atrocious colour design that actively ruins the effect. That's actual mild in terms of some of the stuff the show does elsewhere, right from the offset, but if they can't even get a simple cut like that right, there's little hope for the bigger things.

The action scenes in this latest episode were downright incoherent as well - someone involved clearly got drunk on the concept of having someone willing to do animation that involved swinging camera movements without making any consideration for it actually being visually parsable for the audience. It looks incredibly flashy when you are seeing it in short GIFs and Webm's, and aside from some odd sliding where characters don't quite line up with the CG backgrounds, there's some technically impressive work going on, but a combination of the camera swinging around with wild abandon and the garish mush of colour the show works in makes it incoherent. It's not as if these kinds of cuts can't work in anime - look at some of the stuff with Saitama fighting the molemen at the end of the first episode of One Punch Man - but it requires a sense of restraint and pacing that Hand Shakers simply doesn't want to deal in.

It's not even like this is me just going "lol Gohands" either, as I actually kind of like K and even Mardock Scramble, but Hand Shakers is a borderline unwatchable mess.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Q: Is the hand shaker one of those people with a really limp and loose hand shake? Those hand shakes always feel so so wrong.

Excuse me, have you heard the good news about our lord and savior, Aqua?
Preach brother!

KonoSuba 08

Let us discuss how our Lord and Savior, Aqua, saved everyone from the undead menace yet again. Praise her for we are not worthy.

Akiba's Trip 08

C53tTuUWMAEblC9.jpg
C53tVB_WcAA2f_r.jpg

C53uI4PWQAA_IXq.jpg

Audience that didn't get the references faces the entire episode.

Man if you are not deeply into JRPGs, mobile gacha games, card games and various other nerdy Japanese past times I do not know how you could possibly enjoy this show. That said the parodies came fast and hard in this episode and I loved it.

GATE 01-25

Tried it on a whim since I heard good things about it from a friend. Genuinely enjoyed the show and never really felt like there was a low point. Just fun characters and plot point to plot point. All killer no filler type show. That said... wish it had some filler! Especially in the second half things just seem to be happening and the viewer just has to accept it, like lots of anime second halfs.

+ Characters are all great and fun. Especially the main lead Itami. Guy is fun to see but never comes off as too good that its unbelievable or too weak that its annoying. Just a nice guy. side characters are great as well. Each have their own personality and the first season does a good job letting you see their personalities.

+ Action, when the action heats up its weirdly serious for how happy go lucky the show feels the rest of the time. Some really good scenes.

+ Feels like I'm watching a SNES~PS1 era RPG being animated. Got some serious Tales/Star Ocean vibes.

+ Refreshingly normal approach to advanced army vs. medieval army. No special magic barriers or anime reasons for bullets not hitting. Trigger gets pulled, foot soldier gets a hole in them lol.

+- Shows how pathetic politicians can be who are only concerned about the current election and not the people or future ramifications of their actions. Japanese bureaucracy dragging their feet to save face ect. It does not go all the way with the idea though sadly. Would have been interesting to really go for this plot thread kinda like how Shin Godzilla did (but not that boring)

- After the first few episodes all the main characters are introduced. But they try to add more near the end of the second season just to have them show up once. Even one character is in every scene in the second half, and maybe speaks 3 lines after episode 14 or so... like why introduce her and keep her in the main group at all other than filling the anime girl trope check list.

- Pretty masterbatory about the JSDF. I get why but portraying them as this all benevolent force was pretty nonsense. It's fine to celebrate your military, its fine to show them doing good things but this show did it in a pretty eye rolly way for a lot of lines.

- How other countries were portrayed, at least their leaders and military. America as a resource hungry country out to take advantage of everyone was laughable at best among the other "hmm really...?" personalities they had. Especially given Japan's own history with a similar plot...

- A lot of the second half is just stuff kind of happening and involving characters for seemingly no reason. A few too many plot convent things at the end to wrap it up. Good until a point where its just moving with no real motivation.

- Going off the above weird character personality changes.
The Emperor being shown as almost a crazy war monger in the first half was pretty interesting. I was wondering what was up with him. Then when the characters confronted him all of a sudden I might ad, he did not really change from a cold leader type. Then he supposedly gets killed. THEN in the last episode he was fucking alive the whole time just sick/knocked out in the castle the whole time!? they did not even show them rescuing him he just showed up getting rescued... then he was super nice and willing to talk with common sense....

- If they wanted to do so many plot points they should have used their animation time better. Too many attempts at side stories with no real big pay off. Needed either another episode or to cut the "looks how cool the JSDF is!" parts a bit.

Like I said I enjoyed it. Fun characters, setting, and moments throughout. but its another show where for whatever reason, likes to bring up or start a more serious plot point, and not go anywhere with it at all. No opinion, no point to make, no nothing... wish more anime would simply avoid doing this but seems like they can't help themselves.

Recommend it if you want something fun, just don't expect much in terms of overall plot. Might be interesting to see some things about real world Japan military, but from a seemingly right wing otaku perspective lol. I get that it was another recruitment anime but it was fun to watch imo.

Moving on to Osomatsu-san ~

Szadek

I just watched Cardcaptor Sakura Movie 2: The Sealed Card

It's was more or less one long episode with a few key differences.
The anime already looked great and and was well animated, but the movie is even better than that.
Actions scene were also quite impressive.
Even the (supringly long) post credit scene with kero-chan and suppy looked fantastic.

I also liked that the rasied the stakes with the most powerful card in the series that's genuinely threatning.
It even was somewhat dark with how many people got erased.

Most imporantly, Sakura's and Li's relationship reach it's peak.
It was about fucking time to be honest.

All in all, the best part of the series. If you watch anime, you have to watch this movie as well.

I just watched Cardcaptor Sakura Movie 2: The Sealed Card

It's was more or less one long episode with a few key differences.
The anime already looked great and and was well animated, but the movie is even better than that.
Actions scene were also quite impressive.
Even the (supringly long) post credit scene with kero-chan and suppy looked fantastic.

I also liked that the rasied the stakes with the most powerful card in the series that's genuinely threatning.
It even was somewhat dark with how many people got erased.

Most imporantly, Sakura's and Li's relationship reach it's peak.
It was about fucking time to be honest.

All in all, the best part of the series. If you watch anime, you have to watch this movie as well.
My favorite relationship pay off in any anime ever! I know it build up on a long time, but I think it's really really well done. The emotions reach such a high point at the end, it was outstanding.The anime gave us such a better ending then the manga...that movie is sooooo damn good! Just thinking about that ending makes me happy. Sakura and Syaoran for life.

Also I will add that story wise the Fire card is still the best capture scene of the whole show. That was one of the best part.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
John wick 2
That was great as far as action movie goes. Keanu really put his training to work here. But as much as i like Keanu headshooting henchman? I like it more when he face off against another assassin. Keanu killing people using assault rifle and shotgun was awesome, but ny the end i was thinking, man, is he doing another armbar flip? I hope in chapter 3 they focus more on Wick vs assassin instead of unnamed henchman

Cornbread78

GATE 01-25
~

I had a lot of fun with the show as well. It's rare when the 1,000 year old loli is one of the best character and doesn't make you cringe 99% of the time.

Like you said, the characters were all unique and pretty fun, but it was a close race between Rory, and Kuribayashi for top girl.

Rory:
VLgybnT.gif

Lelai:
vi8sbgj.gif

Kuribayashi:
AgliFdv.gif

Akiba's Trip 08

Man if you are not deeply into JRPGs, mobile gacha games, card games and various other nerdy Japanese past times I do not know how you could possibly enjoy this show. That said the parodies came fast and hard in this episode and I loved it.

They sure put the focus on the "Trip" part with barely "s'Trip"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom