• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

Kemono no Souja Erin feels like a show that got a 50 episode slot and therefore they stretched the material to hit 50 episodes. It easily feels like, if they trimmed all the flashbacks and fluff, it could probably over 10 episodes shorter. Maybe more.

Pretty much what I thought. It's a 50 episodes story that doesn't shit the bed, so it's hard to not get attached, but the overuse of flashbacks/exposition was a bit too much. Still, I remember it fondly even now, especially some pieces of the OST.

I too really liked Ial and the Erin/Ial "romance", too bad the show never did anything with it.
I know they get together in the following books, but as far the show goes, it was kinda disappointing.

Yeh that final time skip with their son was a bit lacking. If they could've at least have the three of them share a moment together instead of just Erin and son that would've been at least a bit more appreciated.

I haven't informed myself much about the books yet. Actually kinda curious where the story would be heading afterwards since it felt fairly conclusive. Well, might have been more slice of life afterwards or so. Anyways, I'll have to read the synopsis somewhere.

One aspect that left me a bit disappointed within Erin's characterization was that, even though we follow her growth from child to full adulthood, there's pretty much zilch about her exploring her sexuality or experiencing love (
except towards the end with Ial
) which made her feel a bit flat during her student times. She really was all 'Beastlord gang-ho' and basically oblivious to e.g. Tomura feelings. It's not like the show needed to focus on that much but skipping any of that sort entirely just isn't right. Made the scene where
the Beastlords perform their psychedelic mating ritual
seem just the more odd.

Szadek

Rakugo Shinjuu continues to be the best thing ever.
That's all I have to say about it.
Breath of the Wild continues the Zelda series tradition of making me feel sexually confused about fish people.

Sexy fish people.
I guess it's time for you to embrace monster girls.

Hayate the Combat Butler 08-19

C6Rrc04WMAA0RiV.jpg
C6Rra0GWYAAUL_e.jpg

Best girls because that's what actually matters.

There's really not a whole lot to say here except that Nagi is lucky to have such a nice butler to put up with her ways and the series has kept me amused this entire time, so it is doing something right.

petran79

Banned
Yeh that final time skip with their son was a bit lacking. If they could've at least have the three of them share a moment together instead of just Erin and son that would've been at least a bit more appreciated.

I haven't informed myself much about the books yet. Actually kinda curious where the story would be heading afterwards since it felt fairly conclusive. Well, might have been more slice of life afterwards or so. Anyways, I'll have to read the synopsis somewhere.

One aspect that left me a bit disappointed within Erin's characterization was that, even though we follow her growth from child to full adulthood, there's pretty much zilch about her exploring her sexuality or experiencing love (
except towards the end with Ial
) which made her feel a bit flat during her student times. She really was all 'Beastlord gang-ho' and basically oblivious to e.g. Tomura feelings. It's not like the show needed to focus on that much but skipping any of that sort entirely just isn't right. Made the scene where
the Beastlords perform their psychedelic mating ritual
seem just the more odd.

This is why Planet Survival was a pleasant surprise. Despite focusing on adventure and being oriented towards kids, there was a segment exploring the characters feelings to each other in a very subtle manner. Something indeed very rare for the genre.

Szadek

Little Witch Academia - Ep. 9
Not sure why everyone here disliked this episode so much, because it was decent.
Obviously not as good as the last one, but still a lot of fun nonetheless.

MSMrRound

Little Witch Academia - Ep. 9
Not sure why everyone here disliked this episode so much, because it was decent.
Obviously not as good as the last one, but still a lot of fun nonetheless.

The pacing was all over the place and people are starting to get a bit tired of Akko and gang stirs up trouble->managed to overcome situation via solution->get into trouble with teachers->get punishment for it routine.

I like Little Witch Academia and I think Megumi Han is killing it as Akko but I really hope that the series hit its stride soon. I need more of something like episode 7 where Akko is actually making some progress at last (never mind how little progress it actually was)

Szadek

Princess Precure - Ep. 33
The fuck was this episode?
Somehow it turned into a fashion show with cats and then Shut turned 3 of the cats into an eel, a shark and a blowfish.
After that one of the faires fought him before giving him make-up tips.

Cornbread78

Descending Stories 9

Red eyes continue their rampage.

Where is the red eye outrage? Lets hear it like we did for other shows...... Red eyes are the worst, such a crap art direction to take..
LOL

Chaika ep.6
JbPh81r.jpg

I continue to say it, but this show is better than I thought it would be! It's a pretty damn good adventure show with some really nice action scenes. I want more info on all of the Chaika's though, lol.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
ACCA Episode 9:

At this point I am just watching out of habit as I have just lost pretty much all real interest in the series.

Cornbread78

Fairy Tail ep.93
oNoWlBR.jpg

LOLOL, now that was an a$$pull shounen victory if I've ever seen one, but that doesn't mean it wasn't fun as hell to watch. Sucks seeing the state of teh alternate world though. Not sure what the solution is to fis it all, but Mystogan appears to have some ideas at least.

Szadek

Fairy Tail ep.93
oNoWlBR.jpg

LOLOL, now that was an a$$pull shounen victory if I've ever seen one, but that doesn't mean it wasn't fun as hell to watch. Sucks seeing the state of teh alternate world though. Not sure what the solution is to fis it all, but Mystogan appears to have some ideas at least.
You better get used to it, Fairy Tail loves to do that kind of stuff.
It's not quite as bad as some people claim, but still pretty damn bad.

Cornbread78

You better get used to it, Fairy Tail loves to do that kind of stuff.
It's not quite as bad as some people claim, but still pretty damn bad.

LOL, I hear ya. The thing is, this show does a great job of it though, so it still feels fun and exciting to watch, so I'll lap it up and love it, lol.

TUSR

Banned
Gabriel Dropout is an awful show.

I can't even tell if the show is meant to be humorous with how often jokes don't land.

The only reason I can see why people are still watching the show is Satania, but you can get everything you would want from it with screen caps. And that's not even getting into how they treat her in the show for the sake of what I can only guess is attempted humor.

Gintama - 156

The sheer amount of creative scenarios is quite impressive. This 4th season has been on a roll with its comedy. What's interesting is that the occasional serious moments in these episodes can work fairly well as there's simply no space for the redundancy and overindulgence I dislike strongly in the longer serious arcs.

Clov

My BD copies of Kyousougiga and 5cm Per Second finally arrived today! It's been a while since I've seen either, so revisiting them should be fun. 5cm is going to be a great visual treat as well; I wonder if I'll still like it as much years after I last saw it? I'm not much of a fan of Shinkai's other work (still have to see Your Name), but I've always loved 5cm.

Cornbread78

Tales of Zestiria ep.21
5ac04HE.jpg

Screw it, I couldn't wait. The show is just too damn good. Did anyone else get a big grin on their face when the
Normin
showed up. They have been gone since the opening scenes with Alisha, but it was fun to see them again!

My BD copies of Kyousougiga and 5cm Per Second finally arrived today! It's been a while since I've seen either, so revisiting them should be fun. 5cm is going to be a great visual treat as well; I wonder if I'll still like it as much years after I last saw it? I'm not much of a fan of Shinkai's other work (still have to see Your Name), but I've always loved 5cm.

goodjob.gif

Excellent choices I must say.

Kemono Friends 09

The noise when the screen turned on is the exact same noise that happens when a screen turns on in Danganronpa

These things bother me a lot

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Gabriel Dropout is an awful show.

I can't even tell if the show is meant to be humorous with how often jokes don't land.

The only reason I can see why people are still watching the show is Satania, but you can get everything you would want from it with screen caps. And that's not even getting into how they treat her in the show for the sake of what I can only guess is attempted humor.
Yeah, the way the show treats Satania is just getting increasingly uncomfortable for me. Most of the sketches give off a pretty mean spirited and antagonistic vibe. It's not even really a case where she does terrible things and gets some kind of comeuppance, the show just always feels like dragging its characters through the mud. I can't really think of a show like this where it tries to be a comedy and the main cast hang out together but don't really seem like they are friends.

Szadek

Princess Precure - Ep. 34
That was a cute kirara and haruka bonding episode.
Looks like Kanata is back next epsiode, that should be interesting.

Cornbread78

Engaged to the Unidentified ep.9
Well, looks like the ship is moving forward, but without any interactions? If they want to make me think Koneni is serious and things, shouldn't they try shipping them more outside of the basic premise of the show?

Cornbread78

Hand Shakers ep.9
Holy shit, it
speaks
! Amazing, simply amazing; who would have expected this amount of character development in this show! Not too bad overall and the "camera" work during the battle was at least focused on the characters and not random body parts or out of scene images. These two crazy kids are cute together.

Heavy Metal L-Gaim #11 Jealousy Game
C6WxgZNWQAEulIH.jpg:small
C6Wyi9yWAAQweNW.jpg:small

Amu and Kyao need some help, theyre way too silly, and she is kind of rude, she hit him with a frying pan, lol.

Good setup with giving us a new antagonist for the next arc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom