• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quartet Night produces the best art.
C6W4NfAVAAA8FlH.jpg:large

Beyblade Episode 31

This was kind of scary. They had the spirits and then that one mysterious dude who was just appearing and combined with evil bit beasts...I just dont like evil spirits. Glad Kai pulled through

Ray had an awesome moment.
C6W5HONWgAAHl4O.jpg:small

Blue Exorcist: Kyoto Saga Episode 7 – Like a Fire Burning Bright

Still at times not as exciting as the manga was, but at least we're finally starting to take off.Felt the imprisonment portion was a bit too fast paced and too emotional with Shiemi.

Rin making up with the others was sweet and touching.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Caught a screening of Sailor Moon R today, so that's almost like watching Utena.

Some notes:

• The audience seemed to be mostly people in their 20s or 30s, and mostly women.
  • To fill out the running time, they had a 10 minute interview segment with the actors and a short OVA that was basically a summary of the characters (that I don't recall watching before)
  • I haven't seen any of the new dub, and it seemed fine. Of course there's a bit of dissonance when you hear people say "Usagi" instead of "Serena", but otherwise it is what it is.
  • Homolust makes people laugh. lol
I think being the only evening screening of the film (they programmed it at 4pm the other days of the week), they got a relatively packed theater, and I was surprised that there would be that many people given the age of the franchise.

It makes me wonder if they'll do the other movies though, and how they would go over with a crowd. lol

Hamst3r

Got around to the Gaiden stuff for Legend of the Galactic Heroes - and it was good stuff overall, I even enjoyed Golden Wings even though the new artstyle made everyone unrecognizable at first glance. I don't think any of the movies are strong entries in the series though, they could probably all be skipped. The prequel series are definitely must watch installments though. Having watched them almost makes me want to rewatch the main series.

I also started in on Yu Yu Hakusho. I'm 13 episode sin and it's quite fun so far. It's also got a lot of heart. Nothing much else to say.

Oh and I've watched a few hours of Metal Gear Saga: The Movie - this 12-hour fan film covering all of the Metal Gear storyline through cutscenes and gameplay clips. It starts with Snake Eater. Verdict: This shit is ridiculous. But it's also kinda not. Like on one hand it's just a bad 80's movie about mercenaries, but then a man covered in hornets descends from the sky and airlifts another man off a bridge. Also: *crotch grab* "...WHO ARE YOU?" Also 2: Dentures-popping explosions. Also 3: Snake climbs a ladder for two minutes. If anything, it actually reminds me a lot of Deadly Premonition. Anyway, it's good stuff.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Best.

By the way I'm not sure who already knows this but you can paste directly to imgur from your clipboard so now it's almost trivial to screencap anime.

Just don't leave any incriminating evidence behind. Crop that shit out.

I'd forgotten how weird episode three is. Also I hadn't seen the original Godzilla film enough to pick up on all the callbacks back when I'd first seen this. This was much more fun with that knowledge in mind.

Episode 4 though was a riot. I love the comedy in this episode and I feel like it's here they finally nailed the tone that I ultimately really love the TV series for.

with my analysis of the image, that's clearly a robot.
LOL
remember when everybody loved macross delta but after around episode 13 it sort of buzzed off into irrelevance.
yeah, kinda disappointed after episode 10.
that look like the big one from the very first macross so might be a remake of the original
i think they always use the sdf-1 backdrop for every new announcement (they had the same when delta was first teased).

Narag

Futari wa Milky Holmes 10

The relationship between Kazumi & Alice is actually kinda sweet but the short run time does the show little service in this respect. In all others, the short run time is a good thing. I'll wrap this up tomorrow, I think, then check out the OVA & Alternative before moving onto S4.

blurr

Gabriel Dropout is an awful show.

I can't even tell if the show is meant to be humorous with how often jokes don't land.

The only reason I can see why people are still watching the show is Satania, but you can get everything you would want from it with screen caps. And that's not even getting into how they treat her in the show for the sake of what I can only guess is attempted humor.

I almost started this but then decided not to...

Screencaps are a gift.

Clov

Ok, I made it past Episode 18. I think the writers handled it about as tastefully as they could lol.

Okabe doing that fucking cup check though after the initial change. C'mon bruh.

It could have been handled a lot better. I've talked about this part of Steins;Gate a lot with others, and I still feel the same way about it; Ruka needs to get some less shitty friends.

Well, I guess Mayuri's not too bad to them, all things considered.

Cornbread78

Ok, I made it past Episode 18. I think the writers handled it about as tastefully as they could lol.

Okabe doing that fucking cup check though after the initial change. C'mon bruh.

Yeah, there are a couple "anime" scenes like that one, but the show manages to avoid almost all of the typical cap like that, which could have brought it down..

You're at the part where I couldn't stop watching!

Also, if nobody mentioned it, make sure you watch the OVA immediately after the final episode.

It could have been handled a lot better. I've talked about this part of Steins;Gate a lot with others, and I still feel the same way about it; Ruka needs to get some less shitty friends.

Well, I guess Mayuri's not too bad to them, all things considered.

I guess what I mean is the whole
we gotta have you reverse that D-Mail or Mayuri's going to die.
For what it's worth, I rather that plot element have not happened at all though. I did like the actual "date" though.

Daru is also pretty accepting but he's also skeevy as all hell.

Yeah, there are a couple "anime" scenes like that one, but the show manages to avoid almost all of the typical cap like that, which could have brought it down..

You're at the part where I couldn't stop watching!

Also, if nobody mentioned it, make sure you watch the OVA immediately after the final episode.

I'm enjoying it overall. Funny enough this is actually what I wanted Re:ZERO to be.

Saga of Tanya the Evil (Youjo Senki) 6.5-8

Episode 8 was actually pretty good at driving home what a piece of shit Tanya is, as well as the horrors of war. Making it seem like she was gleefully following orders, only to reveal that she basically made the loophole that allowed her to be a humongous piece of shit was a decent twist. Having one of her own men struggle to uphold her cruelty was a good touch. It was also nice to see her and her battalion struggle for once, if even only a little.

On the flip side, 7 felt like a bit of a "been there, done that" episode, but the reveal of the guy from that episode surviving and having a new mission from Being X made me retroactively like the episode a bit more. I actually kind of wondered if Being X would help him in the previous episode, considering his genuine piety. It'll be nice to hopefully see some give Tanya more of a run for her money.

Taruranto

Probably wasn't important this episode.

I was expecting her to whip it out in climax of the episode to "fix" the bell.

With all of the negative episode reviews of LWA looks like my decision to just ignore them and keep my memories of the movies intact was the right choice

I honestly like the series and want to like it, but the lack of progress from Akko is starting to get annoying, especially after the episode with Andrew in which it seemed like she was going to get better and finally listen to Ursula.

petran79

Banned
LWA will focus on the graduation in the first part and the more interesting plot will develop in the second part.

Out of the 9 episodes so far, 5 have been really good. Whats problematic is the inconsistency. Quality difference between episodes is too great for a series of such calibre.

I continue to say it, but this show is better than I thought it would be! It's a pretty damn good adventure show with some really nice action scenes. I want more info on all of the Chaika's though, lol.

I forgot how much I enjoyed this show but this reminds me that I never did get round to watching the OVA.

And speaking of shows that were better than expected, I think you'll like Kaminai if you haven't already seen it.

blurr

Kemono Friends 09

Serval just seems to get dumber and dumber every episode(and I don't necessarily mind that) but this time with added dramatization.

The one thing that I actually wondered about the Friends designs got cleared up hahaha.

Kemono Friends 09

C6Y77-eWgAAZumh.jpg

This is how the world looks to Serval which explains so much about her.

We also discovered the friends had no clue that what they were wearing were clothes and in fact can be taken off (As if artists weren't doing that already) and we learned more about how a friend is made.

Szadek

Sakura Trick - Ep. 1
I'm totally not watching the show for the yuri kissing scenes... I'm watching it for..... SCIENCE:
6LgHuq1.gif

There was a lot for kissing in this episode than excepted.
I really like the releationship between the 2 main girls.
Outside of than that the show is alright.

Sakura Trick - Ep. 1
I'm totally not watching the show for the yuri kissing scenes... I'm watching it for..... SCIENCE:
6LgHuq1.gif

There was a lot for kissing in this episode than excepted.
I really like the releationship between the 2 main girls.
Outside of than that the show is alright.
This reminds me of the Simpsons scene of thermodynamics.

"in this house we follow the basic laws of gravity!"

Line_HTX

Whoa, is CR going to put all the episodes of Yu-Gi-Oh up? I actually never finished it and stopped at the end of Waking the Dragons filler arc, lol

MSMrRound

Oh boy, KyoAni's A Silent Voice starts showing in theaters tomorrow here in Singapore. Only just caught Ordinal Scale last week and this sneak up on me all of a sudden (can't wait...but can only watch it next Tuesday though=/)

Szadek

Sakura Trick -Ep. 2
Oh look, another Yuri couple. The show certianly gets to the point quickly.

I'm staring to belive that in thier world ,yuri can slove all problems.
" You are bad at english? Let's make out!"
It worked. You can't argue with results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom