• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

kewlmyc

So is konosuba doing well enough we could get more seasons? Second season has turned me around from 'I could either take it or leave it' to outright loving the show. Hoping we get more

It's the best selling show of the season so far, but that might be due to the first BD release including what looks to be like a really fun PC game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aKG7OmAmks

I hope they get a third season. They're more than enough material with the main novels and side novels.

Sölf

So, the first episode of Granblue Fantasy was rather good. But holy shit, did they only include the first 1 or 2 parts of the first chapter in it?

petran79

Banned
Your name was perhaps the author's best work. Though I preferred Shinkai's earlier work tbh, specifically his first two imperfect films. The less people involved, the more I can look into his original vision.

LWA 9

This was pretty weak.
What was happening and how everyone reacted to that was pretty dissonant as well.
Show should just stop trying to go for some emotional payoffs because it clearly sucks at that and should go full over-the-top magic fun like epiosde 8 all the way.

Trigger staff that worked on Gainax previously, did a much better job with the series Princess Yucie. Shares some similarities with LWA but features better dialogues, humor and pacing.
Hopefully LWA will get a decent English dub.

Your Name. is Shinkai's best work but I wouldn't put it anywhere close to some of my favorite animation films. Shinkai may be coming into his own as a director (and his movies are very beautiful) but he has a long, long way to go if he is truly going to be the next Miyazaki or Anno.

Well, he can't be the next Miyzaki or Anno by anything other than financial success as they hardly share any directorial similarities. Shinkai himself calls out these moronic comparisons all the time.

Well, he can't be the next Miyzaki or Anno by anything other than financial success as they hardly share any directorial similarities. Shinkai himself calls out these moronic comparisons all the time.

It really has nothing to do with directorial similarities and never has. When someone says M. Night Shyamalan or Chris Nolan is the next Spielberg, they are talking about the name and potential for success, not the directorial technique. Someone who can helm a critical and commercial success with high accuracy.

Quasar

Your Name. is Shinkai's best work but I wouldn't put it anywhere close to some of my favorite animation films. Shinkai may be coming into his own as a director (and his movies are very beautiful) but he has a long, long way to go if he is truly going to be the next Miyazaki or Anno.

Whilst I'm not going to compare them, even before Your Name I was much more a fan of Shinkai than the other two. Its probably more a subject matter thing though than directing.

Of course I'm not sure I've seen much Anno. Kare Kano is the one thing I liked.

Quasar

It really has nothing to do with directorial similarities and never has. When someone says M. Night Shyamalan or Chris Nolan is the next Spielberg, they are talking about the name and potential for success, not the directorial technique. Someone who can helm a critical and commercial success with high accuracy.

I don't even think I'd want that, especially given the Spielberg comparison...it seems like decades since I really liked one of his films.

Andrew J.

LWA 09

The worldbuilding here confirmed my theory from earlier, that magic was once very widely used but has been made increasingly obsolete by postindustrial technology.

And seeing the headmistress's reunion with her Papa was so touching. ;_;

In that sense, Shinkai is perhaps the best candidate for "next Miyazaki" after the massive commercial success of Your Name, though of course it remains to be seen if he can come anywhere close to replicating that with his next film.

Hopefully though Yuasa's upcoming two films will be massive hits so he can start hogging all the attention (I wish).

Theonik

In that sense, Shinkai is perhaps the best candidate for "next Miyazaki" after the massive commercial success of Your Name, though of course it remains to be seen if he can come anywhere close to replicating that with his next film.

Hopefully though Yuasa's upcoming two films will be massive hits so he can start hogging all the attention (I wish).
All of Shinkai's films so far have had much higher recognition than their release would normally warrant. 'Your Name' was his first film to have a mainstream release and ended up being a huge hit. I can only see him going up from here though the pressure on his next endeavour to succeed will be huge which is what I suspect he is also most afraid of.

Cornbread78

Vampire Knight ep.2
xKfp3px.jpg
Well, it's nice to get Zero's secret out in the open right away. How the hell did he hide it for so long though...

Seiren 09:
I feel like the flashbacks here shed a lot of light and explanation for our main's earlier fantasies. It suddenly all makes sense.

Can't even say I really agree with that but either way, then your previous statement makes little sense because financial success is something Shinkai just achieved big time and while a repeat thereof can't be guaranteed his name alone will sell a lot of future tickets.

JoJo Part 4 Live action trailer

Curious how they don't show any stands.

Can't even say I really agree with that but either way, then your previous statement makes little sense because financial success is something Shinkai just achieved big time and while a repeat thereof can't be guaranteed his name alone will sell a lot of future tickets.

imo its about repeatability. Whether or not Shinkai wants to be that, the expectations are already on him. He should do whatever he wants though.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I never read it like that. I always saw it as directorial/artistic skill and or impact.

Rightstuf had a sale sometime last year and I bought the final DVDs/Blurays to complete my Patlabor collection. I hadn't seen the OVA in years, the last time I'd watched it was when I was in my early teens and the local video store had the first couple tapes. So I've never even seen the last set of episodes.

It's really interesting seeing this first imagining of the franchise. Such a different start, and much rougher less defined interpretations of the characters too. Goto for example seems much quicker to shout than even the film's version of himself.

I think it still has the same charm as the series, but doesn't feel quite as polished. I'm loving the older animation though and it feels like a real treat to get back into this, something I haven't watched in almost two decades.

Ok, I'm finally watching Disappearance of Haruhi tonight.

Bruh, Kyon, I know you having a mental breakdown over being in this new world, but his approach to Mikuru was super skeevy.

Cornbread78

Engaged to the Unidentified ep.7-8
It'seems been awhile since I have watched any episodes, so I decided to give it a whirl again. The show is still pretty meh... There were some funny moments embedded in the episodes, but it looks like an incoming love triangle is going to take center stage for a bit.

Yu-Gi-Oh! GX (Subtitled) Episode 82 – Misawa Versus Manjoume - Assault Cannon Beetle

Good the less Misawa the better, I always knew he was elitist and such, serves him right. Sad.

Im glad Manjoume got another win finally.

Narag

Futari wa Milky Holmes 6
Guess we're getting somewhere now with Alice's family. Feels like the show is such a good idea but it lacks a certain spark to give it the life necessary to distinguish itself.

Narag

Futari wa Milky Holmes 7
And I guess what I've been slow picking up on is this show being about the romanticized relationship between detectives and phantom thieves. We'd see that in the intro of every episode of the first two seasons of Milky Holmes and it was arguably the impetus for everything Arsene did since she was nothing without her rivals. Upending that and descending into outright violence seems like the sort of thing that's going to attract a whole lot of attention from members of both sides wanting to maintain the status quo.

Szadek

Sousei no Onmyouji - Ep. 46
Decent episode. Looks like best girl time to shine in the next epsiodes.

Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon - Ep. 8
I like the new dragon and learning a bit more about the dragon world was nice as well.
Apperently Tooru is one of the evil dragons, which really isn't that surprising.

Kirakira☆Precure A La Mode - Ep. 5
While Cure Macaron's transformation is kind of lame, I really like her.
It's nice to see highschool precure again (and we are getting another one next week).
The fight was pretty funny,too.

Cornbread78

Panty & Stocking ep.5

Panty was literally picking fingering her nose and moaning.... lol, wtf...

Panty: "Hey, if you keep stretching my hole it will get all loose"

Stocking: "Too late for that"

Fuckchoo!

That second "vomit" skit was weird as hell. It had to have had a completely different director to set that one up, because it was more of a creepy short with a P&S cameo than anything.

The Vision of EscaFlowne Episode 18 The Gravity of Destiny

Escaflowne really is the best of the designs in the show, I love how Van continues to unlock many of its abilities. The jet fast speed mode was epic.

Still Im always in so much pain when he feels pain. Isaac is not good.

Narag

Futari wa Milky Holmes 8

:lol @ that twist toward the end. I'd have liked to see the show use powers more creatively as Toys are fairly simplistic but hey, what can you do? Not everything can be Stand battles.

Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya

So apparently, if the internet is to be believe anyway, The Endless Eight tanked the DVD sales of the series to the point that KyoAni decided to cut their losses on the franchise. If that is to, I do believe the Disappearance was probably the perfect note for the series to go out on.

Rewatching Haruhi these past couple of days gave me a new appreciation for the series. I remember I was in High School when the original series was released, and my friends who were into anime were raving about it. Since I was only a "casual" fan of anime at that point, when I finally watched it I didn't really get it. So 10 years later, and being way more interested in the medium I final caught on to why so many fell in love with it.

Disappearance feels like a love letter to the series. For all his griping about wanting to live a normal life, when he finally get the opportunity, Kyon can tell that his now peaceful life is empty. And it was fun watching his journey and seeing him come to the realization that he's enjoyed everything about the S.O.S Brigade.

That was also really fucking adorable.

Haly

Bojack Horseman S1

Phenomenal. Occasionally I ask myself why does western animation still exist when it's all just this crap:

And Bojack Horseman reminds me there's some stories only angsty white people can tell in their angsty white way like how only Makoto Shinkai can tell a compelling story about wet gardens and feet.

Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya

So apparently, if the internet is to be believe anyway, The Endless Eight tanked the DVD sales of the series to the point that KyoAni decided to cut their losses on the franchise.

I'm not sure where you read that, but that's not true. First off, KyoAni doesn't own the Haruhi IP; Kadokawa does, and it's their decision as to whether an adaptation gets made or not. (Hence why Kadokawa hired Satelight to adapt the Yuki spinoff manga.) Second, while the season 2 disc sales were a substantial decline from season 1 sales, they're still head-and-shoulders above most anime disc sales. Third, probably the biggest reason that the anime adaptations of the Haruhi LNs stopped is that the Haruhi LNs themselves stopped being written, and so there is little to adapt and nothing to promote.

duckroll

People who think anime studios are actually in control of their own destinies when it comes to adaptations never cease to amuse me. What a wonderful world that would be. Too bad it's an alternate reality.

Bojack Horseman S1

Phenomenal. Occasionally I ask myself why does western animation still exist when it's all just this crap:

And Bojack Horseman reminds me there's some stories only angsty white people can tell in their angsty white way like how only Makoto Shinkai can tell a compelling story about wet gardens and feet.

Watch Season 2 man. You ain't seen shit yet.

Haly

Watch Season 2 man. You ain't seen shit yet.

Definitely going to.

As an aside, it's fitting how western animation moved to tube/noodle people to make animating easier, moved away from it as cartoons started to convey real musculature, and then moved back because of the rise of programmatic animation.

The wall is a flat surface.

Cornbread78

Fairy Tail ep.91-92
This battle in Edolas rages on as both groups of Fairy Tail now join the battle. The Erza x Erza battle was great and I finally got to see the much lauded Fairy Armor requip. Yup, pretty bad ass stuff.

Shogun episodes are all fantastic treats. the Shogun might also be the best example of Gintama having a character who only serves as a punchline in comedic episodes come into his own impressively well in a serious episode, while still being mostly a joke.

MCD

Done with RE: Zero.

There is season 2, right? Lots on unanswered questions ( dragon? Witch? Why was Subaru summoned here anyway?) and some characters like the bowel hunter and Reinhardooo-sama got little to no screen time. That old bastard got all the glory and now I hear they gonna make a whole show just for him and his waifu? Wtf lol

And fuck Subaru. Rem got killed zillion times and still he went for vanilla boring chick. Troll writer/director.

Out of curiosity, did you finish Erin in the end? :eek:

Yeh and I intended to post my thought on the entire series but kinda never got to it. Might still do that sometime, though. Made a bunch of screencaps already after all.

In short: Ending was decent. Ultimately Erin's story is a pretty good one and I really appreciate the mature take on how one should actually handle wild animals/beasts. That's something you hardly ever see when "friendly monsters" are likely among the top story hooks for all sorts of fiction, especially when targeted at teens and children.

Most of the core characters around Erin like her mother and John were pretty good. Ial is the only other one really standing out strong besides Erin. Other than these there's lots left to be desired, though, and if all the time spent on Mokku and Nukku could've been allocated to the likes of Yuuyan and Tomura instead, that would've been nice.

Those 2 clown characters aside, my biggest issue with the show were the incessant flashbacks and too overt (even for kids) storytelling for characters like Kirik.

I'd rate it 7-8/10. Probably rather 7 when I consider how much some of its flaws were grinding my gears.

Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid 6

Faf-Kun's bromance with Takiya was the obvious highlight of the episode. I loved Fafnir's banter in the chat, but seeing him bond and be less guarded was nice.

Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid 7

This episode had a better mix of what makes this show great, with the heartwarming, cute and funny moments mixed with some melancholic stuff.

I liked the idea that all the otherworld beings use cosplay events to really just let loose as themselves.

The gag where Luccoa gets carted off was funny, and definitely well deserved.

Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid 8

Lmao at Tohru being like a dog and smelling another dragon on her human.

Elma seems like a good addition to the crew. The straight woman on the dragon side, and she helped flesh out the dragon world a bit more.

Taruranto

Yeh and I intended to post my thought on the entire series but kinda never got to it. Might still do that sometime, though. Made a bunch of screencaps already after all.

In short: Ending was decent. Ultimately Erin's story is a pretty good one and I really appreciate the mature take on how one should actually handle wild animals/beasts. That's something you hardly ever see when "friendly monsters" are likely among the top story hooks for all sorts of fiction, especially when targeted at teens and children.

Most of the core characters around Erin like her mother and John were pretty good. Ial is the only other one really standing out strong besides Erin. Other than these there's lots left to be desired, though, and if all the time spent on Mokku and Nukku could've been allocated to the likes of Yuuyan and Tomura instead, that would've been nice.

Those 2 clown characters aside, my biggest issue with the show were the incessant flashbacks and too overt (even for kids) storytelling for characters like Kirik.

I'd rate it 7-8/10. Probably rather 7 when I consider how much some of its flaws were grinding my gears.

Pretty much what I thought. It's a 50 episodes story that doesn't shit the bed, so it's hard to not get attached, but the overuse of flashbacks/exposition was a bit too much. Still, I remember it fondly even now, especially some pieces of the OST.

I too really liked Ial and the Erin/Ial "romance", too bad the show never did anything with it.
I know they get together in the following books, but as far the show goes, it was kinda disappointing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom