• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sakura Trick - Ep. 1
I'm totally not watching the show for the yuri kissing scenes... I'm watching it for..... SCIENCE:

Yuzu da best:
3BudePp.gif

kewlmyc

I'm bored as shit in a town I barely know for work reasons but the SAO movie is playing at a theater that is 9 minutes walking distance from my hotel. Wonder if I should just bite the bullet and see it out of boredom and curiosity about this final fight scene that's apparently worth the $18 admission price.

Cornbread78

I'm bored as shit in a town I barely know for work reasons but the SAO movie is playing at a theater that is 9 minutes walking distance from my hotel. Wonder if I should just bite the bullet and see it out of boredom and curiosity about this final fight scene that's apparently worth the $18 admission price.

Yup, sounds worth it to me, lol.

a couple of beers then enter the theater!

You can hear that song again ;p

18$ for any movie is too damn high

blurr

Please Tell me Galko-chan OVA

How many characters did this show introduce over the span of 12 7 minute shorts? I found it hard to remind myself who some of them were but managed to remember most of them. I think some of them are completely new but they are related to the existing cast in some way.

This was a good reminder of why I love the show.

Some of the random questions that appear aren't answered immediately/shortly which is a bit weird but it's not that I mind it particularly, I just didn't understand the point behind asking it way ahead of when the relevent part begins.

hampig

Is anybody watching Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu? Went a few pages back and only saw one mention of it. It's turning out to be one of the best anime I've ever seen, I'm shocked that I don't hear more about it.

Cornbread78

Is anybody watching Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu? Went a few pages back and only saw one mention of it. It's turning out to be one of the best anime I've ever seen, I'm shocked that I don't hear more about it.

Oh man, the hump fest for Raguko is real up in here.,,,

JulianImp

I think it's the fact that we all praise it so much we've stopped doing so because there isn't muhc more to be said about each episode other than "sasuga Rakugo".

It's just always consistently good, uses a setting that we seldom see in anime, handles its themes in an interesting way without relying on cheap humor or mood whiplashes, and also goes for characterizations that aren't just the same old archetypes we see over and over in most series.

hampig

I think it's the fact that we all praise it so much we've stopped doing so because there isn't muhc more to be said about each episode other than "sasuga Rakugo".

It's just always consistently good, uses a setting that we seldom see in anime, handles its themes in an interesting way without relying on cheap humor or mood whiplashes, and also goes for characterizations that aren't just the same old archetypes we see over and over in most series.

Fair enough, makes sense.

As somebody who doesn't watch a ton of anime, is there much else that you or anyone else would recommend that scratches the same sort of itch? I don't know if I can identify why, but Rakugo feels similar to Planetes, Usagi Drop, and Sakamichi no Apollon to me.

Sadly this season has been really bad for it, apart from the adorable kid is hard to even care for the story that is going off the rails. I miss when it was grounded in reality and entertaining. Storytelling is really dull too.

hampig

Sadly this season has been really bad for it, apart from the adorable kid is hard to even care for the story that is going off the rails. I miss when it was grounded in reality and entertaining. Storytelling is really dull too.

Really? I think the kid is annoying and this season is at least as good as the first so far.

Cornbread78

As somebody who doesn't watch a ton of anime, is there much else that you or anyone else would recommend that scratches the same sort of itch? I don't know if I can identify why, but Rakugo feels similar to Planetes, Usagi Drop, and Sakamichi no Apollon to me.

Barakamon
Steins; Gate

Really? I think the kid is annoying and this season is at least as good as the first so far.

Don't take anything DTL says seriously.

It's honestly kinda tiring that it has to be said all the time but yeh, if you want to gauge the general AnimeGAF opinion on a show it's 99% of the time the polar opposite of his.

Deadly

Kobayashi Maid Dragon 9
Cute episode. I'm ashamed to say I laughed at the boob jokes.

Saikawa's facial expressions are abit too exaggerated though...

Cornbread78

I've already seen and loved Steins, but I'll look into Barakamon. Thanks!

Barakamon is great.

Below are a couple others witha more mature tone to them:
3-gatsu no Lion
Chihayafuru
Poco’s Udon World
Sweetness and Lightning
Itazura na Kiss
Aishiteruze Baby- Alternate take on Usagi Drop.

hampig

Don't take anything DTL says seriously.

It's honestly kinda tiring that it has to be said all the time but yeh, if you want to gauge the general AnimeGAF opinion on a show it's 99% of the time the polar opposite of his.
Good to know! In that case, what shows do you like DTL? Just out of curiosity.

Barakamon is great.

3-gatsu no Lion
Chihayafuru
Poco’s Udon World
Sweetness and Lightning
Itazura na Kiss
Awesome, I actually got quite a few of these as recommendations through MyAnimeList just now from Rakugo, so I'm feeling like this must be a solid list.

Any of these have a stronger recommendation than the rest?

From this season? I like Hand Shakers the most, as well as Spiritpact, Monster Hunter Stories Ride On, Puzzle & Dragons X, Marginal#4, and Trickster.

Top 5 favorite animes ever are God Eater, Guilty Crown, BLast of Tempest, HeroBank, Seraph of the End. And Free! too.

Cornbread78

Awesome, I actually got quite a few of these as recommendations through MyAnimeList just now from Rakugo, so I'm feeling like this must be a solid list.

If I had to rank them:

1: Barakamon
2: Poco's Udon World
3: 3-gatsu no Lion
4: Itazura na Kiss
5: Swetness and Lightning
6: Aishiteruze Baby
7: Chihayafuru (only last because I haven;t watched it yet,but I know it fits

Watch Poco's Udon World! It's the absolute best!

There is more than can be said, it just requires more intellectual effort than commenting on anime usually requires.

As somebody who doesn't watch a ton of anime, is there much else that you or anyone else would recommend that scratches the same sort of itch? I don't know if I can identify why, but Rakugo feels similar to Planetes and Sakamichi no Apollon to me.

Rakugo Shinjuu is a well-made grounded character drama, which is probably why you sense a similarity to the other two shows you mention (although Sakamichi no Apollon has much clumsier execution and I haven't yet seen Planetes). There are few anime exactly like it, but for anime with a similar focus I would recommend

Emma: A Victorian Romance
Great Passage
Gunslinger Girl (really)
Hyouka
Master Keaton
Mouryou no Hako
Ping Pong the Animation
Shounen Hollywood
Silver Spoon

Weebos

Banned
Hey AniGAF, sorry if this is the wrong thread for this, I don't dip into Off-Topic a lot.

Do you guys have any good recommendations for Anime podcasts?

IGN Anime Club just ended and it was the only one I've tried that I genuinely liked, I was wondering if there were more like it.

I've tried others, but my issues with them were among these:
  • Poor audio quality
  • Too much jargon/anime references I didn't know
  • Talked about spoilers for too many shows I haven't seen
  • Distasteful hosts

I realize this is asking a lot of an anime podcast (lol), but I felt IGN Anime Club was both approachable and casual for someone like me. I watch a lot of anime, but I don't live and breathe anime, so it is hard to find a middle ground.

If there is a better thread for this question, please send me there.

hampig

From this season? I like Hand Shakers the most, as well as Spiritpact, Monster Hunter Stories Ride On, Puzzle & Dragons X, Marginal#4, and Trickster.

Top 5 favorite animes ever are God Eater, Guilty Crown, BLast of Tempest, HeroBank, Seraph of the End. And Free! too.

I see. We are very different people, you and I.

If I had to rank them:

1: Barakamon
2: Poco's Udon World
3: 3-gatsu no Lion
4: Itazura na Kiss
5: Swetness and Lightning
6: Aishiteruze Baby
7: Chihayafuru (only last because I haven;t watched it yet,but I know it fits

Watch Poco's Udon World! It's the absolute best!
Alright, Barakamon and Pocco are up next it's looking like. I might have to watch something short and light first. It's been a month or two of heavy stuff for me hah.

JulianImp

Space Brothers is also a pretty nice show if you can put up with it having 99 episodes and being on the slow-ish side of things.

If you like relaxing shows, then you could also give Non Non Biyori a try.

Its the same reason we don't talk too much about March Comes in like a Lion all that much. It's constantly good and until the hat drops in the show it won't get the explosive coverage here that some feel it rightful deserves.

Barakamon is great.

3-gatsu no Lion
Chihayafuru

Poco’s Udon World
Sweetness and Lightning
Itazura na Kiss

Solid choices...

Cornbread78

Twin Star Exorcists ep.47
Seriously, this has to be the worst twist I've seen in a show. Absolutely terrible. So the 1,000 year old guy wants to
fuck the 16 yr old virgin to spare the guy she loves body, but she will die anyway and he will never remember her
What kind of terrible and pathetic super NTR is this $hit? 47 episodes in for this kind of crap? WTF.

So pissed right now...

hampig

Space Brothers is also a pretty nice show if you can put up with it having 99 episodes and being on the slow-ish side of things.

If you like relaxing shows, then you could also give Non Non Biyori a try.

I've looked into Space Brothers and it is on my to-watch list, but 99 episodes is a lot. It takes me 2-3 weeks just to watch a 12 episode anime because I generally watch only on weekdays, and only 1-2 episodes at a time.

Its the same reason we don't talk too much about March Comes in like a Lion all that much. It's constantly good and until the hat drops in the show it won't get the explosive coverage here that some feel it rightful deserves.

This thread is the first I've ever heard of it. I guess that will move up my list too.

Hey AniGAF, sorry if this is the wrong thread for this, I don't dip into Off-Topic a lot.

Do you guys have any good recommendations for Anime podcasts?

IGN Anime Club just ended and it was the only one I've tried that I genuinely liked, I was wondering if there were more like it.

I've tried others, but my issues with them were among these:
  • Poor audio quality
  • Too much jargon/anime references I didn't know
  • Talked about spoilers for too many shows I haven't seen
  • Distasteful hosts

I realize this is asking a lot of an anime podcast (lol), but I felt IGN Anime Club was both approachable and casual for someone like me. I watch a lot of anime, but I don't live and breathe anime, so it is hard to find a middle ground.

If there is a better thread for this question, please send me there.
Otaku spirit and ANN cast are the two best anime podcast.

Otaku spirit has some great content. They cover almost every new anime each season.

ANN is great. I like the people doing it and they have cool guests once in a while.

Weekly reminder that you should all watch Clannad and After Story.

There is more than can be said, it just requires more intellectual effort than commenting on anime usually requires.

Rakugo Shinjuu is a well-made grounded character drama, which is probably why you sense a similarity to the other two shows you mention (although Sakamichi no Apollon has much clumsier execution and I haven't yet seen Planetes). There are few anime exactly like it, but for anime with a similar focus I would recommend

Emma: A Victorian Romance
Great Passage
Gunslinger Girl (really)
Hyouka
Master Keaton
Mouryou no Hako
Ping Pong the Animation
Shounen Hollywood
Silver Spoon

Hyouka is a good one.

Blu-rays when?

Status