• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

I see. We are very different people, you and I.
Alright, Barakamon and Pocco are up next it's looking like. I might have to watch something short and light first. It's been a month or two of heavy stuff for me hah.

You really can't go wrong with either of those. Neither one are really "heavy" shows and have a great mix of feels and charm mixed in.

3-gatsu is a little bit heavier in tone, even though it tries to break things up with periodic comedic moment.

kewlmyc

Twin Star Exorcists ep.47
Seriously, this has to be the worst twist I've seen in a show. Absolutely terrible. So the 1,000 year old guy wants to
fuck the 16 yr old virgin to spare the guy she loves body, but she will die anyway and he will never remember her
What kind of terrible and pathetic super NTR is this $hit? 47 episodes in for this kind of crap? WTF.

So pissed right now...

Anime original (like most of the series), if that makes you feel better. Doesn't sound like anything from the manga at least.

KraytarJ

Kobayashi 9
Really leaning into the sitcom aspect at this point, and I'm more than cool with that. Also, Elma's bits were great and someway somehow Lucoa didn't ruin this episode! It was what you might call a world class episode.

hampig

There is more than can be said, it just requires more intellectual effort than commenting on anime usually requires.

Rakugo Shinjuu is a well-made grounded character drama, which is probably why you sense a similarity to the other two shows you mention (although Sakamichi no Apollon has much clumsier execution and I haven't yet seen Planetes). There are few anime exactly like it, but for anime with a similar focus I would recommend

Emma: A Victorian Romance
Great Passage
Gunslinger Girl (really)
Hyouka
Master Keaton
Mouryou no Hako
Ping Pong the Animation
Shounen Hollywood
Silver Spoon

Didn't even notice your comment. I've been wanting to watch Hyouka forever, but I usually watch anime on my phone at work, and Hyouka isn't on Crunchyroll. I've been saving it for a rainy day at home.

Silver Spoon is one of my absolute favorite shows though, and I was a big fan of Ping Pong too, so I'll look into the rest of these.

Let me throw a recommendation of Planetes back at you too. It's one of those rare animes that shows some restraint in its writing and still manages to be powerful. It's a little slow if you're looking for adrenaline, but the characters are very compelling.

Remember when we thought we'd be seeing Sei and Reiji again?

Remember when instead of Sei and Reiji, we got three posers consisting of a completely butchered attempt at a female lead, a boring nerdy edgelord whose name might as well have been Sasuke-lite, and a MC who tried to convey the spirit of G Gundam without actually bringing any of the other good stuff from G Gundam to the table and just spammed the Erupting Burning Finger over and over?

Remember how Gyanko got horribly robbed?

Remember that bullshit that was the conclusion to the Tryon 3 fight?

Remember how GOOD the original GBF was?

Sigh...

Weebos

Banned
Otaku spirit and ANN cast are the two best anime podcast.

Otaku spirit has some great content. They cover almost every new anime each season.

ANN is great. I like the people doing it and they have cool guests once in a while.

Thanks for the recommendations, I think I've tried ANN before and mostly liked it. If I remember correctly I dropped it because one of the hosts kept talking out of his ass about non-anime subjects he knew nothing about. I might have just hit a bad string of episodes, I'll try it again.

Also, on topic: My partner and I have been watching Masamune-kun and I've been pretty surprised by it. I expected a pretty standard romcom, but it has taken some twists and turns so far. I hear this upcoming arc sucks though.

tuffy

Remember how Gunpla Mafia was somehow a thing? Remember how the Build Knuckle became the go-to move to finish off every fight on the back half of the series? Remember how mind control gear was somehow passed off as a cosplay outfit? Remember how Mao got crushed offscreen in order to elevate F91 guy's importance? Remember how the Meijin somehow wound up in mind control gear in order to have a climactic battle? Remember how Aila winding up where she was at the end of the series wasn't really explained at all?

The first season had better hype moments, but its stupid stuff was even worse than the second.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
All that said I'd still put Try in the top fifty percent of Gundam...Which says more about how much terrible Gundam there is!

Remember when instead of Sei and Reiji, we got three posers consisting of a completely butchered attempt at a female lead, a boring nerdy edgelord whose name might as well have been Sasuke-lite, and a MC who tried to convey the spirit of G Gundam without actually bringing any of the other good stuff from G Gundam to the table and just spammed the Erupting Burning Finger over and over?

Sigh...
Didn't you say that you did not even finish Try? You over react way too much that it's kind of ridiculous. Season 1 has the better fights yea(even then...), but it suffers from the same thing you are accusing Try of.

The truth is both are great series and I will never understand people hating season 2 and yet finding season 1 amazing.

Remember how Gunpla Mafia was somehow a thing?

Yes, and it was a GOOD thing thank you very much!

Remember how the Build Knuckle became the go-to move to finish off every fight on the back half of the series?

Yeah so? Sei and Reiji were still forced to come up with different tactics to hold their own during their fights! And unlike Fumina, Seika, and Yuuma, those two actually had a good dynamic and fantastic coordination with each other that made the way their fights concluded satisfying and earned.

Remember how mind control gear was somehow passed off as a cosplay outfit?

who cares

Remember how Mao got crushed offscreen in order to elevate F91 guy's importance?

nobody cares about Mao.

Remember how the Meijin somehow wound up in mind control gear in order to have a climactic battle?

That part is understandable bullshit, sure. But the way that fight went down was still ten times more exciting and satisfying than literally every other fight in GBF TRY.

Remember how Aila winding up where she was at the end of the series wasn't really explained at all?

she made a wish.

deal with it.

The first season had better hype moments, but its stupid stuff was even worse than the second.

No.

Maid Dragon 09

o1QxWDA.jpg

true facts

Didn't even notice your comment. I've been wanting to watch Hyouka forever, but I usually watch anime on my phone at work, and Hyouka isn't on Crunchyroll. I've been saving it for a rainy day at home.

Silver Spoon is one of my absolute favorite shows though, and I was a big fan of Ping Pong too, so I'll look into the rest of these.

Let me throw a recommendation of Planetes back at you too. It's one of those rare animes that shows some restraint in its writing and still manages to be powerful. It's a little slow if you're looking for adrenaline, but the characters are very compelling.

I fully intend to watch Planetes. I actually own the DVDs, just haven't gotten around to watching them yet.

Yeah, Gunpla Mafia was awesome.

I have no problems with the Gunpla mafia, but the ending of Gundam Build Fighters fell apart in a particularly annoying fashion.

tuffy

Yes, and it was a GOOD thing thank you very much!
<snip>
LOL. If all the flaws with the first season somehow don't count because of... reasons, and all the flaws with the second season do, then I guess there's no helping the double-standard. Nostalgia's a helluva thing!

PK Gaming

Sigh...

Try is Eureka 7: AO tier in how badly it misses the "point" of the original.

Didn't you say that you did not even finish Try? You over react way too much that it's kind of ridiculous. Season 1 has the better fights yea(even then...), but it suffers from the same thing you are accusing Try of.

No, that's not it at all.

What TRY ultimately does are similar things that GBF Season 1 does but puts way less effort into them than S1 did and lacks several key components that made Season 1 great.

Like I said, the dynamic between the three main leads in TRY was just terrible compared to how much of a legit likable duo Sei and Reiji were.

There's an also overabundance of underdeveloped side characters in TRY compared to the small amount that the first season had, which in turn, allowed them to be developed more and become more engaging.

Season 1 also had a good plot structure that operated on the basis of the entire Gunpla World, while when you look at GBF TRY, you just get a relatively minor story in comparison.

GBF Season 1 had the World Tournament. What did TRY have? Just a regular plan qualifier for the World Tournament or w/e. I don't know. The entire thing just felt so half-assed compared to how much passion I could feel was made with the original GBF.

Try is Eureka 7: AO tier in how badly it misses the "point" of the original.

Whoa whoa whoa whoa. Let's not get crazy here.

TRY sucks, but at least nobody in TRY went back to the original GBF and spat all over everyone's faces before shooting them with a retcon gun and running away.

Try is supposed to be about team battles but it always comes down to Sekai and the rival. There's almost no teamwork. And the fights don't even come close to stuff like Meijin vs the twins or Reiji vs Fellini.

While GBF S1 had build finger which could lead to some uninteresting endings, Sekai had that from episode 1 with his Jigen Hao Ryuji no ken wo kurae shit where he just does a super shonen martial art move to win every fight. I'm not sure how you can equate the two to being the same thing, the martial arts is so much more egregious. The character dynamics are just worse in Try as well. At some point it just turns into a bad romcom show. S1 had Fellini, Aila, Meijin, Nils and Mao as rival characters and I would struggle to remember a single one from Try. There was not-Aila's brother person? He had a name, I think.

And don't even get me started on Mr. world class gunpla builder champion because fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck him

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Konosuba Season 2, Episode 9:

I think the bigger surprised is how this sort of thing doesn't happen to the party even more often.

Moaradin

Lol at people trying to act like GBF wasn't stupid from the beginning. GBF and Try are both dumb as fuck, and they're both entertaining.

Lol at people trying to act like GBF wasn't stupid from the beginning. GBF and Try are both dumb as fuck, and they're both entertaining.

GBF was stupid in a way that was endearing and fun to watch.

TRY was stupid in a way that was just boring and insulting to the spirit of the original.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance

Right, difference being GBF realized this and embraced that nature, TRY on the other hand fell into that same trap a lot of toyeitc shows do, it took itself way too fucking seriously.

GBF was stupid in a way that was endearing and fun to watch.

TRY was stupid in a way that was just boring and insulting to the spirit of the original.

It's really hard to determine what is stupid in a fun way and what is stupid in a bad way with people sometimes.

Like... G Gundam is stupid. Some would argue stupid and fun...but still stupid. The line is different for everyone.

Moaradin

I disagree that Try wasn't stupid and fun. I remember having a good time with that show. There are reasons for why I still prefer the first season, mainly the characters and animation, but I never got all the complaints that it was some 180 from the first show.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Someone post the relevant Hyouka screenshots, quick!

tuffy

Didn't take long for that conversation to turn into "everything is equally good/bad".
In this instance, I didn't see how one lightweight Gundam mecha-fanservice tournament show was all that different from the other lightweight Gundam mecha-fanservice tournament show based on a few arbitrary criteria. Even when I watched them back-to-back, the level of entertainment was basically the same.

It's really hard to determine what is stupid in a fun way and what is stupid in a bad way with people sometimes.

Like... G Gundam is stupid. Some would argue stupid and fun...but still stupid. The line is different for everyone.

The stupid in G Gundam comes mostly from the way the world is built.

What elevates it to being great comes from its characters and storytelling. It's effectively a coming-of-age story for its main character. Thanks to its other great supporting characters and villains the silliness that its world revolves around feels engaging and enjoyable.

This is what Imagawa understands when he writes/directs his shows. He makes characters in stories that make the settings feel more than just silly. He writes his stories so that they have some weight to them despite how ridiculous one might find the setting to be.

People who draw the line at something like: "What? Domon turned Master Asia in his robot into a living Hadouken and the show still expects me to take it seriously? Too silly 3.5/10" are really missing out.

Wood Man

Onihei is really good. Like really good. Caught up with it last night.

Also caught up with Scum's Wish. Everyone in this show besides sensei & loli girl is a terrible person. It's like a beautiful train wreak I can't look away from.

This is the right answer.

They are both super similar on what they offer entertainement wise. So yes they are both equally good. This is why it did not take long.

Didn't take long for that conversation to turn into "everything is equally good/bad".

CRBjEmPVAAAZ0Vg.jpg:large

Eumi

Kinda tired of this cult angle now. This should have been one episode. They're just repeating (still really funny) jokes now.

I don't get the use of this picture for this situation.

I thought it summed things up very well.

We have people here discussing in detail on GBF Season 1's merits and TRY's failings and people just hand-waved it way by pretty much saying "They're both entertaining and dumb", completely missing the point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom